Morgan Freeman narrates ad touting same-sex wins

Nov 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WMTW-TV Auburn

One of Hollywood's most recognizable voices has been put to use narrating a spot marking Election Day achievements for proponents of same-sex marriage.

Comments
101 - 120 of 126 Comments Last updated Dec 17, 2012

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#102 Nov 30, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't. Marriage is left to the states exclusively as per the 9th Amendment and the 10th Amendment in the Bill Of Rights (except for areas under exclusive federal jurisdiction, such as Washington, D.C., federal territories, the military, etc.)
Mine was not an innocent question. I already knew the Contitution was silent on the issue of marriage.
I do not believe that the ninth and tenth amendments gives states the right to pass laws which are obviously discriminatory. For example, no state has the right any longer to segregate people by race. Similarly, I believe that no state can justify a clearly prejudicial position that two adults of the same gender may not marry. No law based on ignorance and bigotry should be allowed to trample on the human rights of others.

At the moment, the Supreme Court is considering whether to rule on the issue. In my mind, justice dictates that the Court should rule the DOMA law unconstitutional, which would then override any state law to the contrary.

I am tired of certain groups of people trying to force their prejudices on others, and preventing them their right to seek a satisfying life. It has to end. We must evolve.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#103 Nov 30, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Mine was not an innocent question. I already knew the Contitution was silent on the issue of marriage.
I do not believe that the ninth and tenth amendments gives states the right to pass laws which are obviously discriminatory. For example, no state has the right any longer to segregate people by race. Similarly, I believe that no state can justify a clearly prejudicial position that two adults of the same gender may not marry. No law based on ignorance and bigotry should be allowed to trample on the human rights of others.
At the moment, the Supreme Court is considering whether to rule on the issue. In my mind, justice dictates that the Court should rule the DOMA law unconstitutional, which would then override any state law to the contrary.
I am tired of certain groups of people trying to force their prejudices on others, and preventing them their right to seek a satisfying life. It has to end. We must evolve.
Well, if you believe those things, then you understand nothing about the U.S. Constitution nor constitutional law.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#104 Nov 30, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you believe those things, then you understand nothing about the U.S. Constitution nor constitutional law.
You are ridiculous. Instead of being arrogant, show me where I'm wrong.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#105 Dec 3, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>In most States if the parents consent a 14 y/o can marry.
And that marriage would be valid in every State.
now, who is nuts?
14-year-olds can legally marry in the U.S.?!
see:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthrea...
nice try but there are only two states new hampshire and massachusetts that will allow a 14 year old to marry. and then they can only do it with a judges permission.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/table_marriage

so who is twisting and distorting the facts?

“ WOOF ! ”

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#106 Dec 3, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>nice try but there are only two states new hampshire and massachusetts that will allow a 14 year old to marry. and then they can only do it with a judges permission.
New York also permits 14 year olds to marry (with a judge's permission).(I remember in the 80's there were complaints about sex discrimination in the existing marriage law because a male had to be a minimum of 16 years, and a female had to be a minimum of 14 years of age to marry. You would think that he legislature would have RAISED the minimum age females to marry to 16, to make them equal with males, but they instead LOWERED the minimum age of males to 14 years to equal the female age. But have never heard of anyone in New York below the age of 14 years being legally married in the state).

Offical New York goverbment website: http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/4210/

“ WOOF ! ”

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#107 Dec 3, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>nice try but there are only two states new hampshire and massachusetts that will allow a 14 year old to marry. and then they can only do it with a judges permission.
New Hampshire allows 13 year olds to marry with a judge's permission. Why don't you at least look this stuff up on the web before making yourself look so stupid and ignorant ???

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#108 Dec 5, 2012
barry wrote:
I was going by the info found in the link I posted.

But I'm glad you finally took time to research something and post the facts instead of your usual insipid and off base claims.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#109 Dec 5, 2012
I'm glad we now have a decent source to use when people start claiming SSM will open the door to people wanting to marry children.

A careful reading of the list on this link will show that in at least 4 States, marriage to a child under the age of 16 is already legal.

These laws were passed by heterosexuals and based on views from the age when we were mostly a farm based society.

“ WOOF ! ”

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#110 Dec 5, 2012
DNF wrote:
I'm glad we now have a decent source to use when people start claiming SSM will open the door to people wanting to marry children.
A careful reading of the list on this link will show that in at least 4 States, marriage to a child under the age of 16 is already legal.
These laws were passed by heterosexuals and based on views from the age when we were mostly a farm based society.
I remember awhile ago where a New York Sity police officer, in his mid-30's I believe, married a 13 year old girl. It was a big story in the press at the time and the police brass vowed to fire him for doing so. Then the matter was dropped when they found out it was perfectly legal.

I remember in the 80's when New York LOWERED the minimum marriage age. Some people had complained because the law at teh time in New York set a minimum age for males at 16, and for females at 13. Some peope screamed "sex discimination !", so you would think the legislature would have rased the minimum marriage age for females to 16 years to make it equal to males. INSTEAD, they LOWERED the minimum marriage age for males to 13 years. And this is in the 1980's, not 100 years ago.

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#111 Dec 5, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember awhile ago where a New York Sity police officer, in his mid-30's I believe, married a 13 year old girl. It was a big story in the press at the time and the police brass vowed to fire him for doing so. Then the matter was dropped when they found out it was perfectly legal.
I remember in the 80's when New York LOWERED the minimum marriage age. Some people had complained because the law at teh time in New York set a minimum age for males at 16, and for females at 13. Some peope screamed "sex discimination !", so you would think the legislature would have rased the minimum marriage age for females to 16 years to make it equal to males. INSTEAD, they LOWERED the minimum marriage age for males to 13 years. And this is in the 1980's, not 100 years ago.
I don't know where you get your information from the marriage law in New York changed in 1970 not the 80's as you remember and what changed the age for a female went from 21 to 18 and males remained at 21 and remained that way as far as I know it I left NY in 1984
and you should really set up a spell checker I mean sity ???? really was your goal word CITY and what do you have against the word "The" I mean you constantly miss spell with "teh" these are simple words

“ WOOF ! ”

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#112 Dec 5, 2012
disaster in the making wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know where you get your information from the marriage law in New York changed in 1970 not the 80's as you remember and what changed the age for a female went from 21 to 18 and males remained at 21 and remained that way as far as I know it I left NY in 1984
and you should really set up a spell checker I mean sity ???? really was your goal word CITY and what do you have against the word "The" I mean you constantly miss spell with "teh" these are simple words
I've tried to get a spellchecker to work on this site, and for some reason I have never been able to do so. I saw the "Sity" eror as soon as I poste dit, but I am was not going to create a new post just for that one letter error.

I DO proofread everything before i post it, but my proofreading skills and keyboarding skills are obviously not 100%.

And I am aware that for unknown reasons, I ALWAYS write the word "the" as "teh" and I am constantly correcting that before I post, but sometimes it's just too much bother.

So you're going to have to accept my less than perfect keyboarding skill, and proofreading skill, and instead just THANK GOD that I am ALWAYS Fair. And Balanced.(Yes, I'm watching "The O'Reilly Factor" right now, and he has that idiot UN-American Bob Costas on rite now. And btw, that idiot Bob Costas, that idiot Rosie O'Donnell, and myself, all graduated from Commack High School South.)

Port Richey, FL

#113 Dec 6, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I've tried to get a spellchecker to work on this site, and for some reason I have never been able to do so. I saw the "Sity" eror as soon as I poste dit, but I am was not going to create a new post just for that one letter error.
I DO proofread everything before i post it, but my proofreading skills and keyboarding skills are obviously not 100%.
And I am aware that for unknown reasons, I ALWAYS write the word "the" as "teh" and I am constantly correcting that before I post, but sometimes it's just too much bother.
So you're going to have to accept my less than perfect keyboarding skill, and proofreading skill, and instead just THANK GOD that I am ALWAYS Fair. And Balanced.(Yes, I'm watching "The O'Reilly Factor" right now, and he has that idiot UN-American Bob Costas on rite now. And btw, that idiot Bob Costas, that idiot Rosie O'Donnell, and myself, all graduated from Commack High School South.)
I trust in the future we will not throw stones at glass houses.....

I'm not sure what your message is other that if you graduate from Commack High School you're an Idiot?

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#114 Dec 6, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you use Firefox as your web browser spell check is built in.

So stop making excuses.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#115 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
I trust in the future we will not throw stones at glass houses.....
I'm not sure what your message is other that if you graduate from Commack High School you're an Idiot?
I don't think Commack H.S. regularly creates idiots.

But it's pretty obvious Fa-Foxy is jealous so many idiots are far more successful than he ever was.

“ WOOF ! ”

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#116 Dec 6, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>If you use Firefox as your web browser spell check is built in.
So stop making excuses.
I used to use FireFox years ago, but I have used IE for years now and I like it better. If my occasssional keyboarding errors bother you, then please refrain from reading my posts.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#117 Dec 6, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think Commack H.S. regularly creates idiots.
But it's pretty obvious Fa-Foxy is jealous so many idiots are far more successful than he ever was.
He suffers from the effects of sucking too much Koch.

Port Richey, FL

#118 Dec 6, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to use FireFox years ago, but I have used IE for years now and I like it better. If my occasssional keyboarding errors bother you, then please refrain from reading my posts.
Now Foxy don't get your balls in a knot, Firefox isn't my choice of browser ether. I use Google Chrome for the most part hubby likes Firefox because it works best with Linux

“ WOOF ! ”

Peoples Bushes, Arizona

#119 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
Now Foxy don't get your balls in a knot, Firefox isn't my choice of browser ether. I use Google Chrome for the most part hubby likes Firefox because it works best with Linux
I used to use Ubuntu Linux for a ong time too but went back to XP with a good anti-malware program. Of all the Windows flavors, I prefer XP over the others.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#120 Dec 6, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to use Ubuntu Linux for a ong time too but went back to XP with a good anti-malware program. Of all the Windows flavors, I prefer XP over the others.
Windows XP is NOT a web browser!
That would be Internet Explorer.

I was talking about web browsers not computer operating systems.

Try to keep up with the rest of the class.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#121 Dec 6, 2012
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not your spelling that is un-nerving, it's your logic and lack of mostly anything pertinent to say in relation to thread topics.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
California Takes a Stand Against Gay and Trans ... 18 min navalator 40
7 Surprising Ways Your Company Can Still Discri... 26 min NE Jade 3
3 states, plaintiffs want Supreme Court to hear... 29 min TomInElPaso 6
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 34 min TomInElPaso 541
Single Women Raise Gay Sons: Pat Robertson short 55 min Fa-Foxy 21
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 1 hr Pietro Armando 54,871
Biggest Gay Lies 1 hr Dwayne 1,678
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 5 hr dduttonnc 398
•••
Enter and win $5000