What Is It That Young Black Gay Men Don't Get About HIV?

Dec 4, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Loop21.com

White men and women get it. Latinos and Latinas get it. Even black women, who bear a disproportionate share of HIV infections, get it.

Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Dec 6, 2012

“Shed so many tears”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1 Dec 4, 2012
HIV is no longer the scary disease to BP. HIV is just as treatable as the common cold nowadays.
You have tweens and teens experimenting with several sexual partners on a daily basis, and it is NOT slowing down!

Young BM are fatherless and have no male figure to teach them anything about being a man. Young BM look to each other for moral support and strength, which has proven to be a deadend.

Sex is not demonized but glorified in the media, television, magazines, youtube, etc. BM and BW ages 13-21 years of age have no clue of the DEATH and HELL that awaits their carelessness, disobedience and unwillingness to STOP, LISTEN and PAY ATTENTION!

I feel sorry for the upcoming generation of young people, they think they know everything about life, but truely have no clue.

These young people have no fear of HIV because before HIV could be seen as the real boogy man, they created vaccines, pill regimens and cures for it, so they've never seen the real damage, death and destruction of the disease, so they treat it as if it's nothing.

BUT BOY ARE THEY IN FOR A SURPRISE.

The same vaccines and medicines that are keeping HIV/AIDS confined, will soon become resistant to the disease and there will be a whole NEW disease birthed right before our eyes!
Texan

Houston, TX

#2 Dec 4, 2012
JustdroppedIN wrote:
HIV is no longer the scary disease to BP. HIV is just as treatable as the common cold nowadays.
That is the most ignorant statement I have ever read relating to AIDS/HIV.

Now let me school you on why you are so blatantly ignorant.
First off very very few people, especially uninsured AA's, will have the resources to purchase the medications they will need to take on a daily basis to keep themselves alive long term after being diagnosed with the HIV/AIDS virus. Secondly those same people will not get checked for AIDS/HIV on a routine basis to ensure the virus is caught at an early treatable stage. So don't be a freaking idiot and spread stupid stories on how AIDS/HIV is as "treatable as the common cold".

"Although treatments for HIV-AIDS can slow the course of the disease and perhaps arrest it, there is currently no vaccine or cure. Anti-retroviral treatment reduces both the mortality and the morbidity of HIV-AIDS infection, but these drugs are expensive and routine access to anti-retroviral medication is not available in all countries. Due to the difficulty in treating HIV infection, preventing infection is a key aim in controlling the HIV-AIDS epidemic, with health organizations promoting safe sex and needle-exchange programs in attempts to slow the spread of the virus."
http://www.medical-library.net/hiv_aids.html

"Out of 20,000 HIV/AIDS related deaths in 2009, the latest year for CDC stats 10,300 of those deaths were African Americans.
So AA's who make up 13% of the pop were also 50% of the AIDS related deaths.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/re...
JeffnHouston

Houston, TX

#3 Dec 4, 2012
Thanks for your post. I was, frankly, horrified to read the original post. It was based on some of the same stereotypes that are so rampant. I would add that another factor is the almost universal "head in the sand" approach that many of the leaders of the black community have adopted. The misconception seems to be that black men don't engage in homosexuality so they don't need to worry. Wrong on so many levels... first, any unprotected sex is dangerous... second, the "down low" mentality seems to embrace that if they have sex with women too, they aren't really gay so of course they aren't in danger...gosh..see where this gets us... black men having unprotected sex with whoever. so we get possible HIV transmission from every side. the young women who are involved are equally responsible if they are taking ANY chances... and just for the record, there is no protection available that is 100%(except abstinence which is unrealistic). It would help (some) if black leaders would acknowledge that sex b/t everyone is going on, and deal with that with aggressive campaigns on protection (preferably multiple forms). oh...one more big misconception across all lines.. birth control does NOT prevent anything (std's) and birth control is also far from 100% at even preventing conception.
Texan wrote:
<quoted text>
First off very very few people, especially uninsured AA's, will have the resources to purchase the medications they will need to take on a daily basis to keep themselves alive long term after being diagnosed with the HIV/AIDS virus. Secondly those same people will not get checked for AIDS/HIV on a routine basis to ensure the virus is caught at an early treatable stage. So don't be a freaking idiot and spread stupid stories on how AIDS/HIV is as "treatable as the common cold".
"Although treatments for HIV-AIDS can slow the course of the disease and perhaps arrest it, there is currently no vaccine or cure. Anti-retroviral treatment reduces both the mortality and the morbidity of HIV-AIDS infection, but these drugs are expensive and routine access to anti-retroviral medication is not available in all countries. Due to the difficulty in treating HIV infection, preventing infection is a key aim in controlling the HIV-AIDS epidemic, with health organizations promoting safe sex and needle-exchange programs in attempts to slow the spread of the virus."
"Out of 20,000 HIV/AIDS related deaths in 2009, the latest year for CDC stats 10,300 of those deaths were African Americans.
Texan

Houston, TX

#4 Dec 4, 2012
Just for clarification, I am not talking to myself. It's just a coincidence that 'JeffnHouston' is also posting from Houston.
JeffnHouston does make some valid points though.
JeffnHouston

Houston, TX

#5 Dec 4, 2012
Ha! thanks for pointing that out too... hadn't thought of that, though I did see that you were also in Houston...glad to know that there are still some free thinkers here.... now if we we could just spread out a bit and help Texas crawl into the current century...sorry, just being a bit cynical.. I get a bit embarrassed at times when it seems that much of Texas is made up of right wing sheep.
Texan wrote:
Just for clarification, I am not talking to myself. It's just a coincidence that 'JeffnHouston' is also posting from Houston.
JeffnHouston does make some valid points though.
Texan

Houston, TX

#6 Dec 4, 2012
JeffnHouston wrote:
Ha! thanks for pointing that out too... hadn't thought of that, though I did see that you were also in Houston...glad to know that there are still some free thinkers here.... now if we we could just spread out a bit and help Texas crawl into the current century...sorry, just being a bit cynical.. I get a bit embarrassed at times when it seems that much of Texas is made up of right wing sheep.
<quoted text>
I hear that our brain dead Governor plans on running for POTUS in 2016. I thought he embarrassed himself and Texas enough already. Proves what an idiot he really is.

Go TEXANS!! 11 and 1 !!!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#7 Dec 4, 2012
Texan wrote:
A bit of an oversimplification, perhaps, but in truth, it touches on a very important reality of the epidemic today, the public perception of HIV/AIDS is more as manageable condition than death sentence. They are more or less unaware of how much managing that condition costs on so many different levels, but it is manageable. If someone actually knows they know someone who is infected, most are living with it, not dying from it. With the right mix of some seriously toxic chemicals, the inevitable is prolonged to where it is for just about anyone else.

It isn't as scary as it should be and that is a very real problem.
Qwerty26

Lewes, DE

#8 Dec 4, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>A bit of an oversimplification, perhaps, but in truth, it touches on a very important reality of the epidemic today, the public perception of HIV/AIDS is more as manageable condition than death sentence. They are more or less unaware of how much managing that condition costs on so many different levels, but it is manageable. If someone actually knows they know someone who is infected, most are living with it, not dying from it. With the right mix of some seriously toxic chemicals, the inevitable is prolonged to where it is for just about anyone else.
It isn't as scary as it should be and that is a very real problem.
HIV meds for my other half run approximately $3500 a month. That makes it a "manageable" condition, but there is certainly a cost involved - a monetary cost - and it's being paid by the individual or by one or another government program.
the boundaries of space

Atlanta, GA

#9 Dec 4, 2012
predictions are because of the fact that many black men are in denial that several are, or are becoming, homosexual coupled with their rather reckless sex drive.

this one

#10 Dec 4, 2012
Qwerty26 wrote:
HIV meds for my other half run approximately $3500 a month. That makes it a "manageable" condition, but there is certainly a cost involved - a monetary cost - and it's being paid by the individual or by one or another government program.
The staggering financial aspect of HIV infection and full-blown AIDS is just one of the many costs of "managing" the condition. There's the physical, psychological, emotional, spiritual and social tolls to be paid too. But despite all those unacceptably high costs, we've managed to make the whole business seem less scary than it should be.
Brooklyn

Orlando, FL

#11 Dec 4, 2012
FYI

HIV/AIDS is a very treatable disease. The black community has out patient clinics and treatable drugs readily available to them. People use to die within 5 years of contacting the disease, now they live 10,15 and 20 years beyond due to the advancement in medicine.

Magic Johnson is living proof that the drugs are working.

Outreach ministries, churches, schools, community colleges, homeless shelters, HIV/AIDS advocates, survivors, ETC are all outlets the black community has to not only educate but continuously get the information out there to youth, THEY JUST AREN'T LISTENING.

There is absolutely no excuse for anybody to be walking around , blind to the fact about HIV infection. With all the information that has poured out since the discovery and prevention of this disease.

side note.

The above responders do seem like the same people!

from Tx.

“Shed so many tears”

Location hidden

#12 Dec 4, 2012
Texan wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't even read your BS for the SIMPLE fact that I know what I'm talking about and YOU DON'T!

And you responded to your own comment to try and make yourself look smart, what an idiot!
Thom Hilliman

Houston, TX

#15 Dec 4, 2012
JustdroppedIN wrote:
<quoted text>I won't even read your BS for the SIMPLE fact that I know what I'm talking about and YOU DON'T!
You already read it. Dummy!
JustdroppedIN wrote:
<quoted text>And you responded to your own comment to try and make yourself look smart, what an idiot!
Whatever. Dummy!

JustdroppedIN wrote: "Aids is like the common cold"

What a LOSER!

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#16 Dec 4, 2012
Texan wrote:
I hear that our brain dead Governor plans on running for POTUS in 2016. I thought he embarrassed himself and Texas enough already. Proves what an idiot he really is.
Go TEXANS!! 11 and 1 !!!
Hopefully this time he can at least remember that third thing.
Korrla

France

#17 Dec 4, 2012
JustdroppedIN wrote:
You have tweens and teens experimenting with several sexual partners on a daily basis, and it is NOT slowing down!
Young BM are fatherless and have no male figure to teach them anything about being a man. Young BM look to each other for moral support and strength, which has proven to be a deadend.
Sex is not demonized but glorified in the media, television, magazines, youtube, etc. BM and BW ages 13-21 years of age have no clue of the DEATH and HELL that awaits their carelessness, disobedience and unwillingness to STOP, LISTEN and PAY ATTENTION!
I feel sorry for the upcoming generation of young people, they think they know everything about life, but truely have no clue.
These young people have no fear of HIV because before HIV could be seen as the real boogy man, they created vaccines, pill regimens and cures for it, so they've never seen the real damage, death and destruction of the disease, so they treat it as if it's nothing.
BUT BOY ARE THEY IN FOR A SURPRISE.
The same vaccines and medicines that are keeping HIV/AIDS confined, will soon become resistant to the disease and there will be a whole NEW disease birthed right before our eyes!
Stupidist post EVER!!!!!!!!
Korrla

France

#18 Dec 4, 2012
Texan wrote:
<quoted text>
Best post EVER!!!!

“Shed so many tears”

Location hidden

#19 Dec 4, 2012
It took alot of coming back and forth judging your own post, huh, dummy!

“Shed so many tears”

Location hidden

#20 Dec 4, 2012
Thom Hilliman wrote:
<quoted text>
You already read it. Dummy!
<quoted text>
Whatever. Dummy!
JustdroppedIN wrote: "Aids is like the common cold"
What a LOSER!
Don't forget to keep coming back and judging your own post IDIOT!

this one

#21 Dec 6, 2012
Brooklyn wrote:
FYI
HIV/AIDS is a very treatable disease.
But not yet curable and the "treatment" is at this point, a lifetime balancing a regimen of medications that is cost prohibitive and occasionally in itself toxic.
Brooklyn wrote:
The black community has out patient clinics and treatable drugs readily available to them.
If they know they are infected, if they can find ways of affording said treatments, if they even have ready access to said clinics.
Brooklyn wrote:
People use to die within 5 years of contacting the disease, now they live 10,15 and 20 years beyond due to the advancement in medicine.
Thanks to modern medicine, AIDS and resulting death are not necessarily inevitable as the result of HIV infection. Modern medicine is expensive and you have to know you need it.
Brooklyn wrote:
Magic Johnson is living proof that the drugs are working.[QUOTE]Where is Magic these days anyways? Strangely silent on the subject for quite a few years now.
[QUOTE who="Brooklyn"]Outre ach ministries, churches, schools, community colleges, homeless shelters, HIV/AIDS advocates, survivors, ETC are all outlets the black community has to not only educate but continuously get the information out there to youth, THEY JUST AREN'T LISTENING.
Piecemeal efforts can have a significant impact on those who they are able to reach, but they don't reach everybody.
Brooklyn wrote:
There is absolutely no excuse for anybody to be walking around , blind to the fact about HIV infection.
And yet a great deal of them do and others walk around with so much disinformation in their heads that they have no idea that they are even at risk.
Brooklyn wrote:
With all the information that has poured out since the discovery and prevention of this disease.
Information being available is only part of the battle, getting it to young people BEFORE they need it always turns into a problem. Then there is the whole condom conundrum and whether to make them readily available where they are most needed. Then there is the reality that many who are infected simply don't know it and might not until they start getting sick some years down their road. Then there is the reality that being HIV+ isn't exactly viewed in a positive light and that stigma leads to willful ignorance. The reality is that this problem is far from simple.
Brooklyn wrote:
side note.
The above responders do seem like the same people!
from Tx.
You've heard the saying that great minds think alike haven't you? It doesn't really say what they are supposed to be great at, now does it? Either that or, this site is known to draw people who talk to themselves in their posts. The coin is in the air.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 3 min Ethan Allen 885
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 4 min Wondering 62
California Takes a Stand Against Gay and Trans ... 6 min Wondering 5
Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense 8 min Wondering 82
Walking Dead creator hints Daryl could be gay 15 min Gremlin 31
Residents see Europe best for gays and lesbians... 19 min WasteWater 27
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 20 min TomInElPaso 502
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 386
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 1 hr Reverend Alan 54,845
•••