US judge hears challenge to Mich. gay marriage ban

Jan 16, 2014 Full story: WNDU-TV South Bend 26

A federal judge is considering a U.S. constitutional challenge to a voter-approved 2004 amendment to the Michigan Constitution that ban's same sex marriages.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Jan 16, 2014
State laws, and state constitutional amendments that ban marriage equality for us obviously violate the U.S Constitution, and should be struck down as unconstitutional.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#2 Jan 16, 2014
This case is interesting because the federal judge actually PUSHED the defendants to directly challenge our state constitutional ban.

They initially sued challenging just the co-adoption ban, but the judge essentially told them what they really need to challenge is the marriage ban.

The trial will be Feb 25th.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#3 Jan 16, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
This case is interesting because the federal judge actually PUSHED the defendants to directly challenge our state constitutional ban.
They initially sued challenging just the co-adoption ban, but the judge essentially told them what they really need to challenge is the marriage ban.
The trial will be Feb 25th.
Don't ya mean the judge pushed the PLAINTIFFS? The defendants would be the State of Michigan, right?

Just asking!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Jan 16, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't ya mean the judge pushed the PLAINTIFFS? The defendants would be the State of Michigan, right?
Just asking!!!
Ooops, yeah, my bad.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#5 Jan 16, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooops, yeah, my bad.
You caught my bad on DC yesterday......just thought I'd return the favor today.......lol!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Jan 16, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
You caught my bad on DC yesterday......just thought I'd return the favor today.......lol!!!
Thanks.

It's an interesting twist which I'm sure the anti-gays will attempt to use during the inevitable appeal to try to demonstrate a bias by the judge.

I doubt the appeals court will buy it though.

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Jan 16, 2014
In addition, Michigan is in the conservative 6th circuit which is dominated by Republican appointed judges. The appeals court is 10R-5D nominated judges.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#8 Jan 16, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
It's an interesting twist which I'm sure the anti-gays will attempt to use during the inevitable appeal to try to demonstrate a bias by the judge.
I doubt the appeals court will buy it though.
All of these cases in the more conservative States are interesting because one would just expect that the State would win........now, if the 10th circuit rules in favor of Marriage Equality and the 6th circuit rules against Marriage Equality.......we are pretty much going to see SCOTUS get involved and this time it will be on is Marriage truly a Fundamental right regardless of gender make-up......NOW, that would be worth being in the courtroom to hear the arguments!!!

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#9 Jan 16, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
All of these cases in the more conservative States are interesting because one would just expect that the State would win........now, if the 10th circuit rules in favor of Marriage Equality and the 6th circuit rules against Marriage Equality.......we are pretty much going to see SCOTUS get involved and this time it will be on is Marriage truly a Fundamental right regardless of gender make-up......NOW, that would be worth being in the courtroom to hear the arguments!!!
You get the tickets, I'll buy the popcorn and sodas!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#10 Jan 16, 2014
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
You get the tickets, I'll buy the popcorn and sodas!
Okay......because this time, sitting in that Court room watching this go down is probably going to be HISTORIC!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Jan 16, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure even having 2 different rulings from the appeals courts will force the SCOTUS to act. I think it really depends on how soon and how many other rulings happen in the meantime. Also the makeup of the SCOTUS could obviously make a difference as well; some of those justices are on borrowed time.

But yes, having polar opposite rulings does make it more likely the SCOTUS would act.
Christaliban 5

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Jan 16, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Just don't bring up the whole commonwealth thingie. That would be like staring directly in the eyes of a wolf when you're trapped in a snowdrift.
Christ aliban 3

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jan 16, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all for the common wealth....

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#14 Jan 16, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure even having 2 different rulings from the appeals courts will force the SCOTUS to act. I think it really depends on how soon and how many other rulings happen in the meantime. Also the makeup of the SCOTUS could obviously make a difference as well; some of those justices are on borrowed time.
But yes, having polar opposite rulings does make it more likely the SCOTUS would act.
I would happen to agree with ya.......did ya see what one of the Senator's in Arizona has proposed......a bill allowing businesses to discriminate against the GLBTQI Community, potentially against women, Jews and many others as well as sanctioning motels from allowing Same-Sex couples to stay......more ANIMUS from the GOP idiots!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Jan 16, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I would happen to agree with ya.......did ya see what one of the Senator's in Arizona has proposed......a bill allowing businesses to discriminate against the GLBTQI Community, potentially against women, Jews and many others as well as sanctioning motels from allowing Same-Sex couples to stay......more ANIMUS from the GOP idiots!!!
I did see that. Typical GOPasaurs.

And now Utah will allow married same-sex couples to file joint state taxes even though they won't recognize their marriage for other reasons.

Confused?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#16 Jan 16, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I did see that. Typical GOPasaurs.
And now Utah will allow married same-sex couples to file joint state taxes even though they won't recognize their marriage for other reasons.
Confused?
Just stupid if ya ask me.......those couples won't know what to think.....ugh!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Jan 16, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Just stupid if ya ask me.......those couples won't know what to think.....ugh!!!
I think all this back & forth shows just how much of a shock it was to the Republicans. They were caught completely off guard and are acting on pure anti-gay instinct.

They were 100% absolutely convinced there was no way a judge in their own state could EVER rule against them.

If not for what the couples are going through, this would be hilarious!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#18 Jan 16, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I think all this back & forth shows just how much of a shock it was to the Republicans. They were caught completely off guard and are acting on pure anti-gay instinct.
They were 100% absolutely convinced there was no way a judge in their own state could EVER rule against them.
If not for what the couples are going through, this would be hilarious!
I sure the GOP in Oklahoma are not doing any better......these folks need to know that just because Republicans nominated some of these Judges......that they AREN'T going to rule their way!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Jan 17, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I sure the GOP in Oklahoma are not doing any better......these folks need to know that just because Republicans nominated some of these Judges......that they AREN'T going to rule their way!!!
Maybe that's why Sen Coburn (R-OK) announced he's quitting this year?

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#20 Jan 17, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe that's why Sen Coburn (R-OK) announced he's quitting this year?
Maybe it's because has has cancer and may have to undergo a lot of cancer treatments and may not live that long. Maybe that's teh reason ???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 3 min WasteWater 3,502
Man takes legal action after Denver baker refus... 4 min WeTheSheeple 307
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 min lides 8,224
Victim testifies at Boy Scout sex trial about m... 7 min Rainbow Blogger 13
Analysis: Equal rights or statesa rights on gay... 7 min TomInElPaso 245
Bobby Jindal's Love Affair With Hate 10 min Le Duped 7
Hundreds testify in Idaho Capitol for 'Add the ... 12 min Roscoe 6
Ben Carson Warns Gay Couples Against Pushing Ba... 20 min JohnInToronto 48
Evangelicals to Gays: We Have Nothing For You |... (Mar '10) 51 min Homey 18,833
GOP hopefuls weigh in on gay marriage 4 hr Responsibility 67
More from around the web