California Assembly To Hear Testimony On Resolution on Uniting American Families Act (UAFA)

Aug 14, 2009 | Posted by: Paulathesurfmom | Full story: lezgetreal.com

The California Assembly Judiciary Committee will be hearing testimony on AJR 15, a California resolution to support the federal Uniting American Families Act (UAFA).

The resolution, introduced by Assembly Member Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) and co-sponsored by Equality California (EQCA) and Asian Americans for Civil Rights and Equality (AACRE), formally requests that the US Congress pass and that President Barack Obama sign the Uniting American Families Act. Under current federal law, American citizens are permitted to sponsor an opposite-sex spouse. LGBT partners do not have the same right and are specifically excluded even if married under State law, sue to the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA which defines marriage as between a man and a woman only. The UAFA would extend this basic right to committed same-sex couples, who can prove they are in a committed relationship.
Comments
41 - 57 of 57 Comments Last updated Aug 19, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2009

JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Overpopulation is a global problem and must be dealt with at an international level. And the biggest strain on the environment will soon have little to do with the United States - it will be the number of automobiles in both India and China, which is rising at an almost exponential rate.
Almost each country is part of the problem (some countries have a falling population such as Russia [which has been experiencing an unprecedented decline in it's population for more than 15 years, but that subject is for a different thread) and some European countries.

I'm concerned with how natural-born AMERICANS live in AMERICA.

First of all, there is no "RIGHT" to immigrate to the U.S. It is a gift we extend to many people.

But the resources of the U.S.(and obviously the world), both natural resources such as ground water, and manmade resources such as housing, are LIMITED. Some cities and communities in the U.S. have drawn so much ground water, that serious disagreements, requiring court intervention, are happening, even between states.

Furthermore, although congress has written laws to limit immigration, we have a HUGE illegal immigration problem because our immigration laws are not being enforced.

Why should congress even bother writing immigration laws, if everyone is going to ignore them ?

I'm AGAINST immigration to the U.S. because it is degrading our environment to the detriment of native-born Americans.

Me, American by birth, Brooklynite by the Grace Of God.

Since: Jul 09

Sonora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2009

Judged:

Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost each country is part of the problem (some countries have a falling population such as Russia [which has been experiencing an unprecedented decline in it's population for more than 15 years, but that subject is for a different thread) and some European countries.
I'm concerned with how natural-born AMERICANS live in AMERICA.
First of all, there is no "RIGHT" to immigrate to the U.S. It is a gift we extend to many people.
But the resources of the U.S.(and obviously the world), both natural resources such as ground water, and manmade resources such as housing, are LIMITED. Some cities and communities in the U.S. have drawn so much ground water, that serious disagreements, requiring court intervention, are happening, even between states.
Furthermore, although congress has written laws to limit immigration, we have a HUGE illegal immigration problem because our immigration laws are not being enforced.
Why should congress even bother writing immigration laws, if everyone is going to ignore them ?
I'm AGAINST immigration to the U.S. because it is degrading our environment to the detriment of native-born Americans.
Me, American by birth, Brooklynite by the Grace Of God.
what is degrading this country is lying hypocritical transgender girls like you pretending to be something you're not...you will always be a girl, you will NEVER have a penis....go cry about the world elsewhere

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2009

deeter1013 wrote:
<quoted text>
what is degrading this country is lying hypocritical transgender girls like you pretending to be something you're not...you will always be a girl, you will NEVER have a penis....go cry about the world elsewhere
Do you EVER bother to address the issue(s) being posted or just go for the fake, made up juggler vein for the hell of it? In any event you certainly can't draw blood with your imaginary targets.

Standing in line waiting to be hit by your dip stick hate filled bull. Tom

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2009

<quoted text>
Then I'd suggest you find some place else to live. An American Indian is looking to move into your apartment. Hopefully a gay American Indian without c@s!

Sonora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2009

TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you EVER bother to address the issue(s) being posted or just go for the fake, made up juggler vein for the hell of it? In any event you certainly can't draw blood with your imaginary targets.
Standing in line waiting to be hit by your dip stick hate filled bull. Tom
sorry to disappoint you but no hate in my posts to Daniel.
Daniel is a lying GIRL, who is pretending to be a boy...that is why she pulled her pic down when I called her out on it.
I have NOTHING against trans people...I DO however have a great deal against LIARS.
people like her who LIE make it difficult for the rest of the HONEST gays to achieve equality.
Period.Fact.Reality!
when you are a girl pretending to be a boy you serve no purpose other than giving the other side ammunition to say..SEE..they are all liars...they are all scammers...they deserve what they get for fooling people.
and THAT is exactly what MISS Daniel is doing.

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2009

TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I'd suggest you find some place else to live. An American Indian is looking to move into your apartment. Hopefully a gay American Indian without c@s!
Nobody has a "RIGHT" to immigrate to the U.S.

Especially in light of the ongoing wars we are fighting against terrorists around the world. One of my family members, an FDNY firefighter was killed by these murderers. His body was never found.
Melanie Nathan

Ross, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2009

I am not going to waste my time in a debate over immigration - save to say - that this discussion is the very reason LGBT community should stay OUT of the larger Comprehensive Immigration Reform issue. We must remain focused on inclusion as a matter of equality in the already existing immigration law. This simply means adding the words permanent partners to the existing Legislation and the only mechanism that already has a lot of support is UAFA.

Yes IF there is CIR we should be included as a matter of equality.

But unlike the article in Bilerco and the use of the advocate to push the agenda for immigration reform, via the Immigrationequality.org startegy, I am fighting for UAFA and I want it NOW!
The Mathew story in those articles - well Mathew deserves to have a law in 2010 - yes, but wait and see the reform legislation is going to be a tussle like Healthcare reform and it is too dangerous for Mathew and all to depend on immigration reform; they must push the leadership (?_) for UAFA. S

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2009

TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
And we have to remember that those folks are also immigrants too if one goes back far enough as are Europeans living in Europe (who, if you remember anthropology) were responsible not just for ethnic cleansing and holocausts in historical times but also for "species" cleansing 30,000 years ago.

The only humans not descended from immigrants are probably some African people in the central and eastern areas of that continent.
ASJ

Solihull, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2009

Best thing about Daniels argument is saying that the US is overpopulated with only 300,000,000.

The UK has 1/5 of America's population, and yet only 1/6000 of the land mass.
I've been to the US many times. It's not overpopulated. The US citizens that state that it is have no comprehension of what overpopulated mean.

Watch the economy crumble even more with fewer people living there.

Hmmm, I'm sure Daniel is a native american, therefor in his/her right to say who should and shouldn't be living there.

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2009

ASJ wrote:
Best thing about Daniels argument is saying that the US is overpopulated with only 300,000,000.
The UK has 1/5 of America's population, and yet only 1/6000 of the land mass.
I've been to the US many times. It's not overpopulated. The US citizens that state that it is have no comprehension of what overpopulated mean.
Watch the economy crumble even more with fewer people living there.
Hmmm, I'm sure Daniel is a native american, therefor in his/her right to say who should and shouldn't be living there.
I was skeptical about your land mass ratio and actually had to look it up in Wikipedia. It's pretty amazing when one thinks about it!

My new country has one of the world's lowest population densities.

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2009

JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
I was skeptical about your land mass ratio and actually had to look it up in Wikipedia. It's pretty amazing when one thinks about it!
My new country has one of the world's lowest population densities.
Yes, Canada and Australia are among the least densely populated countries in the world.

And the populations of many European countries are falling.

Russia is a special case. Russia's population as been falling by about 500,000 people a year since about 1989. Except for war, famine or disease, none of which have been present in Russia in the past 20 years, NEVER has a country's population decreased SO FAST and SO LONG in world history. The Soviet Union's population used to be double that of the U.S. Russia, the cheif inheritor of the defunct Soviet Union, now has a population LESS THAN HALF that of the U.S. It is projected to have a population LESS THAN 1/4 that of the U.S. 40 years from now if present trends continue.

Sonora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>

sound familiar?

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

<quoted text>
Yes, Canada and Australia are among the least densely populated countries in the world.
And the populations of many European countries are falling.
Russia is a special case. Russia's population as been falling by about 500,000 people a year since about 1989. Except for war, famine or disease, none of which have been present in Russia in the past 20 years, NEVER has a country's population decreased SO FAST and SO LONG in world history. The Soviet Union's population used to be double that of the U.S. Russia, the cheif inheritor of the defunct Soviet Union, now has a population LESS THAN HALF that of the U.S. It is projected to have a population LESS THAN 1/4 that of the U.S. 40 years from now if present trends continue.
Actually, Russia is plagued by a disease - alcoholism. In many areas it is as pervasive as it is among indigenous people in North Amnerica and to make it worse, in parts of Siberia, people are consuming home brew with a large content of methanol.

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

deeter1013 wrote:
<quoted text>
sound familiar?
I understand your ability to interpret and comprehend what you read but I was responding to the issue and provided a solution to the OP. Unlike you.

Sound familiar?

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Russia is plagued by a disease - alcoholism. In many areas it is as pervasive as it is among indigenous people in North Amnerica and to make it worse, in parts of Siberia, people are consuming home brew with a large content of methanol.
I'm aware of that. But alcoholism is more akin to a drug addiction, rather than a "disease" such as malaria. I have a brother in AA for more than 20 years, and I am aware that he, and others in AA will disagree with me.

My reference was into diseases such as malaria, not additions such as drugs and alcohol.

I know that you are correct and alcoholism is a HUGE problem in Russia contributing greatly to their demographic catastrophe.

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

<quoted text>
I'm aware of that. But alcoholism is more akin to a drug addiction, rather than a "disease" such as malaria. I have a brother in AA for more than 20 years, and I am aware that he, and others in AA will disagree with me.
My reference was into diseases such as malaria, not additions such as drugs and alcohol.
I know that you are correct and alcoholism is a HUGE problem in Russia contributing greatly to their demographic catastrophe.
My point is that it is significantly affecting life expectancy there - one part of the population decline. The other part was that people for most of the 1990's and early part of this decade left in droves. The Russian economy is now getting much better and despite some massive corruption (mostly now directly tied to Putin and his cronies as opposed to the "oligarchs" he purged) the wealth is beginning to trickle down.

I think the bleeding in population there will stop at some point but it may be later than sooner.

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2009

JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is that it is significantly affecting life expectancy there - one part of the population decline. The other part was that people for most of the 1990's and early part of this decade left in droves. The Russian economy is now getting much better and despite some massive corruption (mostly now directly tied to Putin and his cronies as opposed to the "oligarchs" he purged) the wealth is beginning to trickle down.
I think the bleeding in population there will stop at some point but it may be later than sooner.
I agree.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••