California Assembly To Hear Testimony On Resolution on Uniting American Families Act (UAFA)

Aug 14, 2009 | Posted by: Paulathesurfmom | Full story: lezgetreal.com

The California Assembly Judiciary Committee will be hearing testimony on AJR 15, a California resolution to support the federal Uniting American Families Act (UAFA).

The resolution, introduced by Assembly Member Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) and co-sponsored by Equality California (EQCA) and Asian Americans for Civil Rights and Equality (AACRE), formally requests that the US Congress pass and that President Barack Obama sign the Uniting American Families Act. Under current federal law, American citizens are permitted to sponsor an opposite-sex spouse. LGBT partners do not have the same right and are specifically excluded even if married under State law, sue to the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA which defines marriage as between a man and a woman only. The UAFA would extend this basic right to committed same-sex couples, who can prove they are in a committed relationship.
Comments
1 - 20 of 57 Comments Last updated Aug 19, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

Ok, I'm openly agy and SUPPORT full equality in the law fro gay people including gay marriage so I am probably going to catch a lot of flak (where does THAT word come from ?:)) for saying this, but here goes:

I do NOT support this bill. I think we should have NO (NONE, ZERO) immigration to the U.S.

We already have MORE THAN 300,000,000 in the U.S. and that is ALREADY TOO MANY !

If a gay person wants to live with their significant other, then let that person move OUT of the U.S.

As far as I'm concerned this is NOT a gay rights issue but strictly an immigration issue. I say the same thing to str8 couples. Move OUT of the U.S. then.

We have TOO O MANY people here now.

And oh yes, to Obamaniac, since NONE of our recent past Presidents have enforced our immigration laws are YOU going to enforce our immigration laws ???
Dances with Wolves

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

Daniel P from Long Island wrote:
Ok, I'm openly agy and SUPPORT full equality in the law fro gay people including gay marriage so I am probably going to catch a lot of flak (where does THAT word come from ?:)) for saying this, but here goes:
I do NOT support this bill. I think we should have NO (NONE, ZERO) immigration to the U.S.
We already have MORE THAN 300,000,000 in the U.S. and that is ALREADY TOO MANY !
If a gay person wants to live with their significant other, then let that person move OUT of the U.S.
As far as I'm concerned this is NOT a gay rights issue but strictly an immigration issue. I say the same thing to str8 couples. Move OUT of the U.S. then.
And oh yes, to Obamaniac, since NONE of our recent past Presidents have enforced our immigration laws are YOU going to enforce our immigration laws ???
Nicely put. I think it's rather sneaky to toss the gay marriage issue into the immigration issue to see if something sticks. Many Americans are against any form of Amnesty or any other sneaky way for an illegal invader to remain here. A whole different subject when we are talking about two Americans citizens of the same gender wishing to get married. Not a good idea at all to mix the two.

“STFU”

Since: May 07

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

Xenophobia is no better than homophobia. Immigration happens and if two people from different countries become a couple, they should be allowed to be together.

Your "no-immigration" diatribe neglects the fact that HETEROSEXUAL couples already are afforded the ability to be together here in the US, but gay couples are denied that and thus the US citizen must choose to abandon his own country or abandon the person they love.

You reich-wing people are greedy and heartless. You sicken me.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

Dances with Wolves wrote:
<quoted text>
Nicely put. I think it's rather sneaky to toss the gay marriage issue into the immigration issue to see if something sticks. Many Americans are against any form of Amnesty or any other sneaky way for an illegal invader to remain here. A whole different subject when we are talking about two Americans citizens of the same gender wishing to get married. Not a good idea at all to mix the two.
Fools!

It's quite obvious that neither of you live anywhere NEAR either of our national borders, North or South. Love and relationships know no borders and neither of you realize what it's like having a dual nation relationship.

My spouse and I have been together for 15 years as of this week and our relationship was sanctified in a church in Maryland in December of the year we came together.

He has a masters degree in education and is principal at a middle school located 20 minutes from our home. That middle school and his career with the state school system is in another country. Yet our relationship is continually at danger because he is not a legal resident. Additionally he would have to give up his life career, a very foolish move under current law.

You both really need to rethink your position and realize that love and relationships truly have no borders. Your "I already have mine" attitudes brings to mind the bigotry and isolationist attitudes displayed by other groups in this nation. Disgusting.
yes

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

IF your loved ones are legally here,who cares?

If they are not,then of course you are welcome to sponsor them.

Your arguments are pointless.
My best friend of 16 yrs is gay and does not agree with allowing illegal immigration for ANY REASON.

Since: Jul 09

Sonora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

jesus christ...you don't like anything about this country...nothing makes you happy, you are a bitter bitter person just because you were born a girl but wish you were born a man so you act like a mean old little school boy, because you somehow think that acting like that will make everyone BELIEVE you are a boy.
You are not....seek counselling, the rest of the gays have better things to worry about then your unhappiness at having a vagina.
Kev UK

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

Me thinks that Daniel needs to grow up and take a good look around him...things are changing wether you like it or not!..... here's hoping that if you happen to be so lucky to find love in this day and age, where ever it may be from or which country...because remember love comes in all shapes and sizes!!! that YOU start the process of vetting every partner you meet to make sure their true blood American! God help them if their from another country!!
Melanie Nathan

Ross, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

I am giving testimony to the Assembly Committee on Tuesday. The comment
"If a gay person wants to live with their significant other, then let that person move OUT of the U.S." is highly offensive and bigotted.
It is the same as saying if you are straight and want to get married to someone from another country you cannot live in the US even if you are an american citizen you MUST leave your country. What an imbecile. The very precept of our Immigration laws is it is based on the ideal of family reunificzation. This kid need to go back to school www.oblogdeeoblogda.wordpress.com
Melanie Nathan

Ross, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

"Nicely put. I think it's rather sneaky to toss the gay marriage issue into the immigration issue to see if something sticks. Many Americans are against any form of Amnesty or any other sneaky way for an illegal invader to remain here. A whole different subject when we are talking about two Americans citizens of the same gender wishing to get married. Not a good idea at all to mix the two. "
IT HAS ZILCH TO DO WITH GAY MARRIAGE
Marriage and immigration equality are separate issues. Because the defense of Marriage Act makes sponsoring one's partner impossible, the only way same-sex bi-national partners can Petition for the other is through separate legislation which is now before congress in the form of UAFA. That is what this post is about.

UAFA will insert the words permnanet partners into the immigration Act. It has zero to do with gay marriage. Your ignorance is prevalent.

Thisd is not an immigration issue either it is purely an equality issue. As a lesbian, I want to have the same right to sepnd the rest of my life with my permanent committed partner in my country.

Pleas eread the stories of those who have suffred trmendously as the result of this inequity.

www.oblogdeeoblogda.wordpress.com
Taiga

Irthlingborough, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

So you're saying i shouldn't have the right to be back in the US with my wife, considering I had to leave my own country due to its laws.
cockroach_sleepe r

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

yep! that's what it's (Daniel) saying. you really need to understand what you are wanting to home too.

buy a gun. protect your family and yourself.

cockroach = christian (protestant)= terrorist
terrorist = christian (protestant)= cockroach
Taiga wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're saying i shouldn't have the right to be back in the US with my wife, considering I had to leave my own country due to its laws.
Tom

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

The Uniting American Families Act IS NOT AN 'AMNESTY' BILL and it is NOT A GAY MARRIAGE BILL! Daniel - if you "support full equality in the law including gay marriage" as you say, than you should support this.

As Melanie has clearly pointed out, this bill is necessary because there is no way for gay and lesbian Americans to sponsor their partners for immigration. Getting married in any of the States or countries that allows this can actually do you more harm if you're in this situation.

You call yourself a Libertarian? The Libertarian Party supports this bill! The Outright Libertarians have endorsed this bill as well.

Getting married in a state with marriage equality (or one that recognizes marriages performed elsewhere) awards you with legal rights at the State level, but NOT at the Federal level, where Immigration law falls.

Educate yourself before posting such harmful comments. If UAFA passes, it will be a watershed event for the LGBT community. That is why support for it is more important than ever.

This bill will do more for us than ENDA, Hate Crimes Act or the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, because for the first time in history, same-sex relationships will be recognized at the Federal level and awarded a right take for granted by the majority of others.

“Humans are God's agents”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

Thank you for bringing this wonderful news to my attention Melanie! I’m going to write Kevin de Leon, EQCA and AACRE, and thank them too!

The Uniting American Families Act is so important to my life and the life of my beloved partner who lives in Eastern Europe, that without its passage soon, I’m concerned about our safety. Forced by US law to live 6000 miles from my partner who is very dependent upon my strength from my home base in the United States where I own a business and my home, and have my career, has had a very negative erosive effect on everything in my life here, and consequently our chances of being able to survive as a successful family has diminished even though we have so many difficult challenges still ahead of us.

I need my Sweetheart here with me. Already quite financially damaged from this injustice, if I don’t see a BIG light at the end of the tunnel very soon, and I emphasize SOON, I will be forced to abandon “hope” in having any future in my country. Wishing and hoping are no longer welcomed words to many LGBT people. Don’t wish us well, please! Help us! Our lives are on the line. We must have relief without delay. Please support the Uniting American Families Act in every way you can possibly do it.

Madison Reed
http://imeq.us/our_stories/files/3d6cd1089274...

Out4Immigration-The Uniting American Families Act:
http://out4immigration.org/immigration/page.h...
Mickey Lim

Rohnert Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

Not a gay issue? How sophomoric. Any right given to hetero's should be a right given to us. Not giving Americans their full rights (including sponsoring their spouse/partner) BECAUSE they are gay is abhorrent. Your xenophobic beliefs have crossed into also being homophobic.

By opposing this you ARE perpetuating INEQUALITY
If you're against immigration, that's one thing, but it should not (as it currently exists) be selective in it's exclusion of homo's. This legislations simply says that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. In other words: Equal treatment under the law.

The entire basis of the US Immigration system since 1964 has been "Family Unification" One may have legitimate reasons for desiring Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR), but perpetuation of INEQUALITY under the current or any proposal for CIR is unacceptable.

Mickey Lim, RPh
VP Out4Immigration

“Press 2 for Deportation.”

Since: Apr 09

Columbus, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

First off, let me say I am not anti-gay. I have a gay brother who I love dearly.

That said, I don't see how this bill can pass if a federal bill recognizing gay marriage isn't passed first. Immigrations is a federal area of responsibility, whereas gay rights is a state cause (Am I right? I dunno). It's apples and oranges.

Unless gays can get the feds to acknowledge gay marriage, then I don't see this working. Marriage is an important component of the fiance visa (K-1). Couples must marry within 90 days of the visa being approved. So if gays can't marry, what is their basis for family reunification if there is no "family" to begin with, legally?

Until gay marriage is resolved in the federal level, gay foreigners should try to apply for citizenship the way every other applicant has. That way, they can legally migrate on their own merits, rather than depend on changes to the law, which may never happen.

Then again, there are lots of reasons why a gay foreigner would be denied US residency. It is a conundrum, unfortunately. I guess the only recourse is for the American gay to relocate. Sad but that's just our reality today.
D Alln

Whittier, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

..having "read" all comments here, and watched countless, & various TV networks etc etc and on..ONE FUNDAMENTAL point is "Missed" "Not seen"" Not thought of" and "Not acknowledged" or commented on!......everyone quickly jumps on the fact of people being "illegal"...
a lot of people "become" illegal...because of "THE SYSTEM" or lack there-of
and the dysfunction/and simply "BROKEN"...the system is like a car every so often it needs servicing!...but no one would know this unless they are in or trying to navigate the system,.people don't just wake up and decide to be illegal.
Taiga

Irthlingborough, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

FedUpWithIllegals wrote:
First off, let me say I am not anti-gay. I have a gay brother who I love dearly.
That said, I don't see how this bill can pass if a federal bill recognizing gay marriage isn't passed first. Immigrations is a federal area of responsibility, whereas gay rights is a state cause (Am I right? I dunno). It's apples and oranges.
Unless gays can get the feds to acknowledge gay marriage, then I don't see this working. Marriage is an important component of the fiance visa (K-1). Couples must marry within 90 days of the visa being approved. So if gays can't marry, what is their basis for family reunification if there is no "family" to begin with, legally?
Until gay marriage is resolved in the federal level, gay foreigners should try to apply for citizenship the way every other applicant has. That way, they can legally migrate on their own merits, rather than depend on changes to the law, which may never happen.
Then again, there are lots of reasons why a gay foreigner would be denied US residency. It is a conundrum, unfortunately. I guess the only recourse is for the American gay to relocate. Sad but that's just our reality today.
The UK and other countries are able to tell same sex partnerships by domestic partnerships, civil unions etc. As long as you have a document that is legally binding within the area it took place they count that for immigration. It doesn't have to be marriage.

“Married as I can be!”

Since: Jun 07

Las Vegas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

And I suppose YOUR ancestors were Native Americans?
You're a tool. I don't care if you're gay, or straight, or have had your balls cut off. You make stupid, incendiary remarks that would have been laughed at even in the 60s. Your misplaced sense of superiority is frankly disturbing, and your patriotism has no basis whatsoever.

“STFU”

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

yes wrote:
IF your loved ones are legally here,who cares?
If they are not,then of course you are welcome to sponsor them.
Your arguments are pointless.
My best friend of 16 yrs is gay and does not agree with allowing illegal immigration for ANY REASON.
Sponsor them how? You're a fool. Why don't you educate yourself about a subject before making a stupid comment that has absolutely no basis in fact. Your best friend is a fool, too.

“Press 2 for Deportation.”

Since: Apr 09

Columbus, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2009

Judged:

Taiga wrote:
<quoted text>
The UK and other countries are able to tell same sex partnerships by domestic partnerships, civil unions etc. As long as you have a document that is legally binding within the area it took place they count that for immigration. It doesn't have to be marriage.
Taiga,

That is my point. The UK and other countries have passed a LAW about same sex partnerships, whether marriage or co-habitation.(I should have included co-habitation with marriage.)

The point is it is LAW and LEGAL. From there, applying for a loved one via the K-1 visa is legal.

UNTIL THAT IS PASSED HERE IN THE US, UAFA cannot pass.

In the meantime, those who are in that position have the other options I talked about (applying for US citizenship on their own or leaving the US).

I am not against UAFA. I am analyzing it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••