Transgender counselor discusses non-discrimination policy debate: No 'surprise'

Dec 12, 2012 Full story: Click Orlando 7

If the reaction to Orange County Public Schools passing a policy preventing discrimination based on gender identity is any indication, transgender issues may have gone mainstream, but the topic remains extremely controversial.

Full Story

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#1 Dec 13, 2012
Ms Marvin is correct!GLBs get protection, but not Ts!
We're a bridge to far! So what do we do? What did Lynn Conway do? What did Renee Richards Do? What did Christine Jorgensen Do? They didn't even have a hope of a law being passed, they had to make it on their own! So they stopped crying about it and went ahead and made a life for themselves. Very successful lives too. I know that's not what my TS sisters want to hear, but I believe it's the only way.
Regards, Terri
Jeni M

Clarkston, MI

#2 Dec 13, 2012
I disagree!That reasoning would not gain Blacks and minorities their basic civil rights.Its a matter of educating people to the diversity that exists in humanity, and the fact that people who are different,or have medical conditions like being TG, or are disabled are entitled to dignity, respect,justice and equal protection under the law simply because of their humanity.

Central NJ

#3 Dec 13, 2012
I'm funny that way!You see I was born with severe Scoliosis.(My woman's disease) I spent my 15th year in a full body cast. SO FREAKIN WHAT! I was a HS dropout, no education (later GED) SO FREAKIN WHAT! In my life I've been a Machinist, tool and diemaker, Part time farmer,Landlord, Hard rock miner, Marine mechanic, welder fabricator, Real Estate sales person, property manager, and construction manager and Investor. Some of those jobs wern't so nice but I did them, regardless of the abuse I took BECAUSE THEY PAID THE BILLS. Yeah, I ate a few sh*t sandwiches, but that's life! Now I own just enough things that I can advise others on what they're doing wrong. And crying about those big mean_________ whoever, who won't pass my "rights" bill is just a waste of time.
I have my "Civil Rights" I voted the beginning of last month. I own property, cars, guns, the clothes on my back. I go everywhere as Terri and defy anyone to stop me because I'm Trans. I don't need a "Rights" law!
Regards, Terri
Jeni M wrote:
I disagree!That reasoning would not gain Blacks and minorities their basic civil rights.Its a matter of educating people to the diversity that exists in humanity, and the fact that people who are different,or have medical conditions like being TG, or are disabled are entitled to dignity, respect,justice and equal protection under the law simply because of their humanity.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#4 Dec 13, 2012
It's one step at a time with one group at a time. G and L have rights and recognitions they didn't used to, now T have to pursue the same. At least it's progress albeit slow.
Just an idea and something I've done. If a form, a college enrollment form to take an obvious example, does not have a box appropriate for you to tick then make one (can't do this online). I've done that where it says male or female, drawn a box, wrote intersex, and ticked it. Where it says hetero, homosexual, bi, made a box of other and ticked it; so make a box of transgender. It doesn't quite work but if only one person is aware the forms are a problem because of this, then they complain to their superiors and so on, eventually word gets to the administrators.
Jeni M

Clarkston, MI

#5 Dec 15, 2012
TerryE wrote:
I'm funny that way!You see I was born with severe Scoliosis.(My woman's disease) I spent my 15th year in a full body cast. SO FREAKIN WHAT! I was a HS dropout, no education (later GED) SO FREAKIN WHAT! In my life I've been a Machinist, tool and diemaker, Part time farmer,Landlord, Hard rock miner, Marine mechanic, welder fabricator, Real Estate sales person, property manager, and construction manager and Investor. Some of those jobs wern't so nice but I did them, regardless of the abuse I took BECAUSE THEY PAID THE BILLS. Yeah, I ate a few sh*t sandwiches, but that's life! Now I own just enough things that I can advise others on what they're doing wrong. And crying about those big mean_________ whoever, who won't pass my "rights" bill is just a waste of time.
I have my "Civil Rights" I voted the beginning of last month. I own property, cars, guns, the clothes on my back. I go everywhere as Terri and defy anyone to stop me because I'm Trans. I don't need a "Rights" law!
Regards, Terri
<quoted text>
I admire your tenacity and courage,Terry, but you are very unique. Most people aren't as strong as you are and they may need some assistance from "the system" to have a shot at life and to just survive.

Central NJ

#6 Dec 16, 2012
Thank you, Jeni! However, I wasn't born that way, I'm over 60 and I've grown set in my ways. The desire to present as a woman is very strong. We resist it as best we can until we give in to it. "First we're born with this, then we fight it off, then it wins!" If we're not strong then we're weak! We're less than 1% of the population, How much weakness can we tolerate? I was at a flea Market today and I saw a miner's lamp I liked. I asked the two men who were selling it how much they wanted for it, while noting that it was a reproduction. A discussion began about whether or not it was a original. One man said the other "I think He's right!" HE"S! I said, "He's right?" I put the lamp down and walked away. I was dressed as any other woman plus some make up and jewelry. There was no reason for the "He". Don't provoke me if you want to sell to me. There was a single item in that market at so good a price that I would take being "Sirred" or called "He" for. Demand respect!
Regards, Terri
Jeni M wrote:
<quoted text>
I admire your tenacity and courage,Terry, but you are very unique. Most people aren't as strong as you are and they may need some assistance from "the system" to have a shot at life and to just survive.
Jeni M

Clarkston, MI

#8 Dec 17, 2012
TerryE wrote:
Thank you, Jeni! However, I wasn't born that way, I'm over 60 and I've grown set in my ways. The desire to present as a woman is very strong. We resist it as best we can until we give in to it. "First we're born with this, then we fight it off, then it wins!" If we're not strong then we're weak! We're less than 1% of the population, How much weakness can we tolerate? I was at a flea Market today and I saw a miner's lamp I liked. I asked the two men who were selling it how much they wanted for it, while noting that it was a reproduction. A discussion began about whether or not it was a original. One man said the other "I think He's right!" HE"S! I said, "He's right?" I put the lamp down and walked away. I was dressed as any other woman plus some make up and jewelry. There was no reason for the "He". Don't provoke me if you want to sell to me. There was a single item in that market at so good a price that I would take being "Sirred" or called "He" for. Demand respect!
Regards, Terri
<quoted text>
RESPECT, Indeed! Amen!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 6 min NorCal Native 3,058
Supreme Court Has 'Tipped Its Hand' In Favor Of... 20 min Xstain Mullah Decree 8
Day After Christmas NE Jade Thread 21 min KISS MY SASSAFRASS 5
Go Gay Rights Go! 22 min KISS MY SASSAFRASS 50
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 24 min NorCal Native 5,198
ACLU sues to allow gay club in Indiana school 25 min Xstain Mullah Decree 77
Single Women Raise Gay Sons: Pat Robertson short 37 min Jaimie 91
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr KiMerde 6,101
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 3 hr Enrico Salvatore ... 68,591
More from around the web