Wisconsin Supreme Court Upholds Regis...

Wisconsin Supreme Court Upholds Registry For Same-Sex Couples

There are 8 comments on the Switched story from Jul 31, 2014, titled Wisconsin Supreme Court Upholds Registry For Same-Sex Couples. In it, Switched reports that:

The Wisconsin Supreme Court on Thursday upheld a 2009 law that establishes a registry for same-sex couples, saying it does not violate an amendment to the state's constitution banning gay marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Switched.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#1 Jul 31, 2014
Any WHY would THAT be??? Because domestic partnerships are NOT marriage! And the Wisconsin Supreme Court got it right! They're not the same at all.

Every time I read something about civil unions or domestic partnerships, I'm SO grateful that the religious idiots fought so hard against them. If they hadn't, we might have settled for them and still be ten or fifteen years away from full marriage equality.

So, thanks, idiots!! You all paved the way for our equal rights far quicker than we otherwise would have had them. Everybody wins!!

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#2 Jul 31, 2014
eJohn wrote:
Any WHY would THAT be??? Because domestic partnerships are NOT marriage! And the Wisconsin Supreme Court got it right! They're not the same at all.
Every time I read something about civil unions or domestic partnerships, I'm SO grateful that the religious idiots fought so hard against them. If they hadn't, we might have settled for them and still be ten or fifteen years away from full marriage equality.
So, thanks, idiots!! You all paved the way for our equal rights far quicker than we otherwise would have had them. Everybody wins!!
Not to mention, they also voted in DOMA, making marriage a Federal issue, taking it right out of the hands of the states.
Abe

Tulsa, OK

#3 Jul 31, 2014
They should put them on the sex offender registry.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#4 Jul 31, 2014
Abe wrote:
They should put them on the sex offender registry.
Tell the orderly to give you more meds.

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#5 Jul 31, 2014
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell the orderly to give you more meds.
The sex offender registry is just one of the places Abe finds friends. On another thread, he recommends hanging out in the men's room at the Tulsa bus terminal.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#6 Jul 31, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention, they also voted in DOMA, making marriage a Federal issue, taking it right out of the hands of the states.
Good point! Without the Federal DOMA, it would have been FAR more difficult to get equality as quickly as we have.

Good times! Good times!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#7 Jul 31, 2014
eJohn wrote:
It's funny, isn't it? How many times have we heard from the anti-gay that civil unions would be fine, if gays would just accept them as a compromise? But it was the same people who fought same-sex marriage who fought civil unions.

Perhaps the best example of the anti-gay foisting themselves with their own petard was Massachusetts.[Yeah, I know I've posted this many times, but it bears repeating.] When same-sex marriages began in the Bay State, the legislature passed a constitutional amendment that would have created civil unions and banned same-sex marriages. But the homophobes, egged on by then-governor Mitt Romney, wouldn't accept the civil union provision. So they themselves told the legislators to scuttle the amendment during the next legislature.

Instead, they promoted a citizens' initiative, which banned both same-sex marriage and civil unions. The beauty of the citizen's initiative was that a fraction of the electorate could force a constitutional amendment onto the ballot with the support of only 25% of the legislature. Yet the gay lobby successfully convinced over 75% of the legislature to kill the citizens initiative.

We can never know for sure how an amendment would have fared in Massachusetts at the time. But it is clear that the anti-gay were the ones who killed the civil unions. And they were rewarded with marriage equality.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#8 Aug 1, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny, isn't it? How many times have we heard from the anti-gay that civil unions would be fine, if gays would just accept them as a compromise? But it was the same people who fought same-sex marriage who fought civil unions.
Perhaps the best example of the anti-gay foisting themselves with their own petard was Massachusetts.[Yeah, I know I've posted this many times, but it bears repeating.] When same-sex marriages began in the Bay State, the legislature passed a constitutional amendment that would have created civil unions and banned same-sex marriages. But the homophobes, egged on by then-governor Mitt Romney, wouldn't accept the civil union provision. So they themselves told the legislators to scuttle the amendment during the next legislature.
Instead, they promoted a citizens' initiative, which banned both same-sex marriage and civil unions. The beauty of the citizen's initiative was that a fraction of the electorate could force a constitutional amendment onto the ballot with the support of only 25% of the legislature. Yet the gay lobby successfully convinced over 75% of the legislature to kill the citizens initiative.
We can never know for sure how an amendment would have fared in Massachusetts at the time. But it is clear that the anti-gay were the ones who killed the civil unions. And they were rewarded with marriage equality.
Exactly.......the anti-gay ONLY gave into Civil Unions or Domestic Partnerships once they knew that ME was coming their direction.........had they NOT fought so hard to prevent Civil Unions/DP's/EverythingbutMarri age.....we would probably still be working on the stepping stones, but they had to fight us and NOW they are crying foul......it sucks to be them!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 min Respect71 53,670
News Danes charge imam for comparing gays to pedophi... 1 hr TomInElPaso 4
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr Rose_NoHo 8,374
News Gay Sex: Two-thirds of Men Aren't Wearing Condoms 1 hr Imprtnrd 4
News School district removes gay students' yearbook ... 1 hr DaveinMass 29
News 12-year-old girl comes out to her Mormon congre... 1 hr Rose_NoHo 547
News Patrick's Cabaret settles antigay discriminatio... 2 hr Wondering 9
40 years ago today 16 hr SteveO 6
More from around the web