Arizona Gay Marriage Initiative Goes ...

Arizona Gay Marriage Initiative Goes Dormant

There are 16 comments on the EDGE story from Sep 3, 2013, titled Arizona Gay Marriage Initiative Goes Dormant. In it, EDGE reports that:

An initiative campaign to have Arizona voters decide next year whether to legalize gay marriage is faltering amid reluctance by national and local advocacy groups to back the measure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Sep 3, 2013
This is probably a good thing.

We don't need to have votes in every state; we need to be smart and pick our battles in states where we are most likely to succeed- i.e Oregon, Colorado, etc.

In addition, Arizona will likely see marriage equality in 2014 via the pending 9th circuit cases from Nevada & Hawaii.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Sep 3, 2013
Finally somebody is showing some strategic acumen!
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Sep 3, 2013
Obama should proclaim the entire State of Arizona to be 'Freddie Flintstone Theme Park' so republican neanderthals can live out their prehistoric fantasies uninhibited by reality

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Sep 3, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
Obama should proclaim the entire State of Arizona to be 'Freddie Flintstone Theme Park' so republican neanderthals can live out their prehistoric fantasies uninhibited by reality
Except, unfortunately, there are a LOT of Democrats here.:(

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#5 Sep 3, 2013
We are a republic. Marriage laws should not be subject to a vote of the populace.

If you allow this on same-gender marriage, then what is to stop someone from putting a similar measure on the ballot that would prohibit the marriage of Buddhist people, or Hindu people, or anyone else because they "are not living a Christian lifestyle" ?

We are a nation of mostly Christian people, but that is not the same thing as being a Christian nation.

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Sep 3, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
We are a republic. Marriage laws should not be subject to a vote of the populace.
If you allow this on same-gender marriage, then what is to stop someone from putting a similar measure on the ballot that would prohibit the marriage of Buddhist people, or Hindu people, or anyone else because they "are not living a Christian lifestyle" ?
We are a nation of mostly Christian people, but that is not the same thing as being a Christian nation.
One way or another they're going to be voted on, whether by a majority of citizens in each state, the majority of legislators in each state, the majority of the Supreme Court of each state, or the majority of the SCOTUS.

Either way, marriage rights will be voted on.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Sep 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
One way or another they're going to be voted on, whether by a majority of citizens in each state, the majority of legislators in each state, the majority of the Supreme Court of each state, or the majority of the SCOTUS.
Either way, marriage rights will be voted on.
It should only be done by the legislature or judiciary. Unless you are a fan of "MOB RULE" ???

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Sep 3, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
It should only be done by the legislature or judiciary. Unless you are a fan of "MOB RULE" ???
Why? The legislators are simply the elected representatives of the mob.

If you truly believe our rights shouldn't be subject to popular vote, then the only option available is the federal judiciary or state judiciaries where they aren't elected.

The simple reality is our rights HAVE been and WILL be voted on. I favor whatever method gets us equality.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#9 Sep 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
If you truly believe our rights shouldn't be subject to popular vote, then the only option available is the federal judiciary or state judiciaries where they aren't elected.
The simple reality is our rights HAVE been and WILL be voted on. I favor whatever method gets us equality.
Precisely for that reason.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#10 Sep 3, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't.

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Sep 4, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't.
Then don't bitch when you are discriminated against.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Sep 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then don't bitch when you are discriminated against.
I don't. I've been totally out for over 30 years, but haven't been discriminated against, because of being openly gay, for many decades.

Here in Arizona, I would rather see them finally build that 400 foot tall wall along the Mexican border that they're been talking about for so long to keep out all the illegals.

I'm sure YOU OF COURSE FAVOR people entering the U.S. illegally.

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Sep 4, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. I've been totally out for over 30 years, but haven't been discriminated against, because of being openly gay, for many decades.
Here in Arizona, I would rather see them finally build that 400 foot tall wall along the Mexican border that they're been talking about for so long to keep out all the illegals.
I'm sure YOU OF COURSE FAVOR people entering the U.S. illegally.
You'd be wrong as usual.

I support stationing Marines every 10 ft along our southern border with shoot-to-kill orders for anyone illegally entering our country.

Btw, you HAVE been discriminated against just by being gay whether you realize it or not. Your rights have been restricted just because you're gay whether you've attempted to exercise those rights or not.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#14 Sep 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd be wrong as usual.
I support stationing Marines every 10 ft along our southern border with shoot-to-kill orders for anyone illegally entering our country.
Btw, you HAVE been discriminated against just by being gay whether you realize it or not. Your rights have been restricted just because you're gay whether you've attempted to exercise those rights or not.
As my dear old departed dad used to always say: "All you REALLY need to be happy in life is a COLD beer and a WARM cat." :)

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Sep 4, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
As my dear old departed dad used to always say: "All you REALLY need to be happy in life is a COLD beer and a WARM cat." :)
Sounds like dear old dad was as stupid as you. At least now we know where you get it from.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#16 Sep 4, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like dear old dad was as stupid as you. At least now we know where you get it from.
No. He was SMART. And ALWAYS Fair. And Balanced. Just like me.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 8 min LATER than WOODEN... 6,483
When did you realize you were gay? (Aug '07) 8 min Fa-Foxy 806
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 41 min NorCal Native 8,054
News End of Boy Scouts' ban on gays prompts elation ... 58 min Quirky 25
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr GayleWood 23,958
Jade loves petrified porpoise cck. 1 hr Jock Cousteau 2
Jade is a BSA troop leader 1 hr First Class Scout 3
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 1 hr WasteWater 1,136
News Boy Scouts of America ends ban on gay adults 2 hr Curtis 45
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 2 hr ___Jenny___ 1,596
News Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals ... 6 hr WeTheSheeple 613
More from around the web