CPAC unwise to snub Christie, gays

CPAC unwise to snub Christie, gays

There are 11 comments on the The Baltimore Sun story from Mar 5, 2013, titled CPAC unwise to snub Christie, gays. In it, The Baltimore Sun reports that:

The answer, according to many within the conservative movement: Throw him overboard.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Baltimore Sun.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1 Mar 5, 2013
I have plenty of differences with Cristie. But if the Republican Party were full of people like him, my husband and I would still be registered Republican.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#2 Mar 5, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
I have plenty of differences with Cristie. But if the Republican Party were full of people like him, my husband and I would still be registered Republican.
I would agree if he were to come out in support of Marriage Equality. Until then, nope. I didn't used to be a one issue voter, and I voted for people of both major parties, and some independents, but now I only vote for those who support Marriage Equality, or at the very least to nothing to hinder it.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#3 Mar 5, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree if he were to come out in support of Marriage Equality. Until then, nope. I didn't used to be a one issue voter, and I voted for people of both major parties, and some independents, but now I only vote for those who support Marriage Equality, or at the very least to nothing to hinder it.
I feel exactly as you do.

And I might add: although I am delighted that the neocons and faux religious right conservatives continue to throw themselves on their own swords with suicidal intent, I hope that there are enough moderate Republicans left standing in the end to hold the GOP together. Our country needs at least two viable political parties to maintain some semblance of ideological balance.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#4 Mar 5, 2013
Otter in the Ozarks wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel exactly as you do.
And I might add: although I am delighted that the neocons and faux religious right conservatives continue to throw themselves on their own swords with suicidal intent, I hope that there are enough moderate Republicans left standing in the end to hold the GOP together. Our country needs at least two viable political parties to maintain some semblance of ideological balance.
Some of us Missourians still have sense. I agree on the need for a viable second party. If they would just shed themselves of the morality plays, and just get back to their values of 40 or 50 years ago, they might just earn my vote. I am basically a financial and economic conservative, and a social liberal, and I cannot abide a party that seeks to disenfranchise and marginalize minorities. They should be thinking of that, because soon they will be the white minority party, if they aren't already.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#5 Mar 5, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree if he were to come out in support of Marriage Equality. Until then, nope. I didn't used to be a one issue voter, and I voted for people of both major parties, and some independents, but now I only vote for those who support Marriage Equality, or at the very least to nothing to hinder it.
Like you, I never believed in litmus tests for one issue. As the marriage debate has raged on, however, I have come to the opinion that people who fail to support human rights do not deserve our support. So you are correct that supporting Republicans would be counterproductive with their current platform.

On the other hand, we're talking about hypothetical circumstances. I don't know if a Republican Party full of Cristies would have such a stark anti-gay [or anti-immigrant] platform. A party full of Cristies might even support civil unions nationwide.[While I strongly support marriage over civil unions, I reserve enmity only for those who fight all recognition of gays.]

I'm not convinced that Cristie opposes marriage equality in New Jersey as much as he refuses to lead the Republican Party on the matter. I'm probably wrong, because Cristie doesn't seem to mind sticking a finger in anyone's eye over even the most trivial matter. I think his claim that voters should decide is completely wrong: We don't vote on rights, and once we realize that rights are being denied, we should do anything we can to reverse that denial. Even so, he has not attacked same-sex marriage with his famous bombastic rhetoric. Like Governor LePage, he might even vote FOR it on the ballot.

In any event, however, a choice to remain part of the Republican Party would not be based on the choices made by one member of the party: Our decision to leave was based on a craven leadership that continued (and still continues) to get worse. If the party were led by men like Cristie, I doubt we would have been forced out. That doesn't mean Cristie will have my vote in 2016 or any other time.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6 Mar 5, 2013
Otter in the Ozarks wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel exactly as you do.
And I might add: although I am delighted that the neocons and faux religious right conservatives continue to throw themselves on their own swords with suicidal intent, I hope that there are enough moderate Republicans left standing in the end to hold the GOP together. Our country needs at least two viable political parties to maintain some semblance of ideological balance.
I would prefer that the GOP self-destruct and a whole new party emerge. It could be composed of conservative Democrats, Libertarians [but not Ron Paul "libertarians," PLEASE!], and what's left of the moderate Republicans. Right now, America has a far right (as in right of Mars) party and a center-right party whose majority is center-left. I'd like to see a real right and left.

America seemed to run much better when the left was looney than now when the right is looney.
serfs up

Merritt Island, FL

#7 Mar 5, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
I have plenty of differences with Cristie. But if the Republican Party were full of people like him, my husband and I would still be registered Republican.
You did. You saw quieter versions then him in Dole, McCain and Romney. And when elected, Bush 1 and Bush 2.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#8 Mar 6, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> You did. You saw quieter versions then him in Dole, McCain and Romney. And when elected, Bush 1 and Bush 2.
Dole and Bush 1 came two decades ago. We left the party after them. Bush 2 was the major force that pushed us out of the party. McCain and Romney were even worse.
serfs up

Merritt Island, FL

#9 Mar 6, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Dole and Bush 1 came two decades ago. We left the party after them. Bush 2 was the major force that pushed us out of the party. McCain and Romney were even worse.
You say tu may to...I say tu ma to...you say po tay to...or is it po tay toe..

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10 Mar 6, 2013
There's nothing to call off, honey.
serfs up

Merritt Island, FL

#11 Mar 6, 2013
A little zyklon b and elimination will end this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nebraska Morning News 4 min Imo 1
News Senate hopeful Roy Moore: gay sex is the 'same ... 4 min Rainbow Kid 30
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 min Get Real 9,987
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 6 min Get Real 78
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 59 min neighbor 2,419
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Rocket Man 56,094
News Gay teen against same-sex marriage heckled at u... 4 hr Wondering 53
More from around the web