Dozens protest school policy that threatens to deny admission for gay home life

Nov 24, 2013 Full story: WECT-TV Wilmington 70

For a second weekend in a row, a group gathered to protest the new policy at Myrtle Grove Christian School.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Nov 24, 2013
A private school may set any cr4iteria they wish. I may not like them, but that's the way it is ...

... unless they receive Public funds.

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#2 Nov 24, 2013
I don't think any school whether private, public, or religious should have a right to discriminate against kids for any reason. That can affect them and their potential for the rest of their lives. Freedom of religion doesn't guarentee a right for religious institutions to teach an accredited K-12, and if they are adverse to teaching all kids, they shouldn't be allowed to. Period. As far as I am concerned, they can stick to teaching religious studies.

I know that might sound extreme, but i speak as someone who lost a scholarship to a state university my senior year of high school because I was expelled after coming out.
Jarvis

United States

#3 Nov 24, 2013
Josh in New Orleans wrote:
I don't think any school whether private, public, or religious should have a right to discriminate against kids for any reason. That can affect them and their potential for the rest of their lives. Freedom of religion doesn't guarentee a right for religious institutions to teach an accredited K-12, and if they are adverse to teaching all kids, they shouldn't be allowed to. Period. As far as I am concerned, they can stick to teaching religious studies.
I know that might sound extreme, but i speak as someone who lost a scholarship to a state university my senior year of high school because I was expelled after coming out.
Two bad you didn't straighten up then you wouldn't have lost your scholarship :-)

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Nov 24, 2013
These schools are actually doing the prospective students a favor by preventing them from going to a bigoted institution.

They should really be denying MORE kids entrance- ideally 100% of them, that way NO child would be subjected to the bigotry they teach.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6 Nov 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
A private school may set any cr4iteria they wish. I may not like them, but that's the way it is ...
Of course they can discriminate. And anyone who wants can speak out against the discrimination. I find the protests against RCC-controlled colleges fascinating. And the students are making inroads.

If history is any guide, there will be a crack-down from the Vatican, much like the one that spawned Nuns on the Bus. If there is not, then we'll know Francis means what he's been saying.
Pierre

France

#7 Nov 24, 2013
snyper wrote:
^ This.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#8 Nov 24, 2013
Jarvis wrote:
<quoted text>Two bad you didn't straighten up then you wouldn't have lost your scholarship :-)
You obviously believe sexuality is a choice. Go out and get a boyfriend for a month and let us know how that works out for you. I suppose you call yourself a Christian, pig.

Since: Jan 08

Bangkok, Thailand

#10 Nov 24, 2013
Just like "Home Schooling", these little niche religious schools use their position as "educator" to instill all the bigotry and hate they like. Despite its failings, public schools prepare children for reality with the knowledge that there are different kinds of people they are exposed to and the realization, usually, that different doesn't mean bad or inferior.

The sad thing is the discrimination they are advertising will attract many christians (Christian wannabe's). And so the bigotry continues...
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#11 Nov 25, 2013
What is really strange about this whole scene is the school is for Kindergarten thru 8th grade; and is run by the Presbyterian Church across the street
The orgasm police have gone wild; I tell you
GONE WILD!! ;o))
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Nov 25, 2013
Myrtle Grove (Presbyterian) school just purchased 10 adjacent acres to BLOCK construction of a housing development for the poor
http://www.mgcs.org/newsevents/index.cfm
For SHAME!!!
The school becomes eligible to receive taxpayer-funded private school vouchers in 2014
http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx...
Gay people help pay those taxes; so for the school to discriminate against gay people is either from ignorance or lack of common sense. They're biting off the hand that feeds them; not to mention violating their qualifications for taxpayer-funded vouchers
Obviously; North Carolina's Presbyterians in Wilmington's neck of the woods are not too bright because their school is dumb; dumb; dumb!

“Some people are gay - get over”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#13 Nov 25, 2013
Again it's only certain "truths" they cherry pick out of the Bible on which they wish to "stand firmly".

Typical uber-Christian hypocrites.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#14 Nov 25, 2013
I think you're full of it and don't believe you were ever expelled for "coming" out. Private schools ALWAYS "discriminate" against kids who can't afford their prices. Would you suggest that regardless if they go out of business, they should be forced to accept those who can not pay? Same thing. By the way, I think you lie in order to gain sympathy for a disgusting lifestyle.

Littleton, NH

#15 Nov 25, 2013
How I See It wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're full of it and don't believe you were ever expelled for "coming" out.
Pray: Tell us what information you have that disproves the quite credible testimony. Or did you just call Josh a liar because you don't like truth?
Private schools ALWAYS "discriminate" against kids who can't afford their prices.
Really? Private schools don't have scholarships for deserving students? Besides, this case is not about ability to pay.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#17 Nov 25, 2013
Sour grapes, get over it.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#18 Nov 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Pray: Tell us what information you have that disproves the quite credible testimony.
What makes it credible? His word? Gays don't get expelled from public schools for being gay, there has to be more to his story.

El Paso, TX

#19 Nov 25, 2013
How I See It wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're full of it and don't believe you were ever expelled for "coming" out. Private schools ALWAYS "discriminate" against kids who can't afford their prices. Would you suggest that regardless if they go out of business, they should be forced to accept those who can not pay? Same thing. By the way, I think you lie in order to gain sympathy for a disgusting lifestyle.
I think you've hidden your location so that we won't know which Troll you're impersonating today, that's how I see it.

El Paso, TX

#20 Nov 25, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes it credible? His word? Gays don't get expelled from public schools for being gay, there has to be more to his story.
Where does he say he went to a public high school Einestein?

Littleton, NH

#21 Nov 25, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not public school. It was university. And it would be perfectly legal for a state university to expel students for being gay in over half the states today.

He said it was in the past. Josh didn't say what year. You are old enough to remember when everyone was just as homophobic as you are. In fact, you think they still are.
Pierre

New York, NY

#22 Nov 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not public school. It was university. And it would be perfectly legal for a state university to expel students for being gay in over half the states today.
That's awesome! I feel better knowing that!
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#23 Nov 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. 20 Minute test, go back and read the post again. He got expelled from his last year of high school. Do you ever get anything right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 9 min Reverend Alan 647
State of Alaska defends gay-marriage ban 14 min Frankie Rizzo 148
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 17 min Frankie Rizzo 2,266
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 23 min Streetrunner 2,119
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 29 min Wondering 3,484
Church boots AA group over gay weddings 36 min Wondering 36
Allowing Blood Donations From Gay Men Could Hel... 39 min WelbyMD 293
What if high court rejects gay marriage cases? 44 min Fa-Foxy 4
Divorce Law Out Of Synch With Same-Sex Marriage 55 min Wondering 27
Gay Marriage and the Limits of Tradition 1 hr Pietro Armando 1,010

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE