Christie's Future Clouded by Gay Marriage

There are 64 comments on the EDGE story from Oct 23, 2013, titled Christie's Future Clouded by Gay Marriage. In it, EDGE reports that:

WASHINGTON Gov. Chris Christie, the popular, outspoken Republican governor of a heavily Democratic state, is making a delicate bid to cast himself as a leader of a more inclusive Republican Party as he seeks re-election and ponders a White House run.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Oct 23, 2013
He's Governor of a state. That's high enough for him. I don't think he deserves to be elected to any higher office.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 Oct 23, 2013
He's not healthy enough to remain in politics for long.
Buddy

Anonymous Proxy

#3 Oct 23, 2013
I once admired him for standing up and fighting to protect morality and decency in the state of New Jersey.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#5 Oct 23, 2013
Buddy wrote:
I once admired him for standing up and fighting to protect morality and decency in the state of New Jersey.
Did ya eva notice that when you go thru The Holland Tunnel and get to New York, when ya get out of teh tunnel there's a BIG sign that says "WELCOME TO NEW YORK !:)" but when ya go the other way and get out of the tunnel, there's a BIG sign that says "WELCOME TO HELL !:)" ?

Did ya eva notice that ?!:)

(And due to The Obamaniac's "sequestration", The Holland Tunnel now does NOT go all the way to Holland, but only as far as Jersey ! What a gyp ! BLAME THE OBAMANIAC !)

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6 Oct 23, 2013
I think the anti-gay crowd overestimates its importance. Of course, the media plays right along with their self-important image.

Romney's performance in Massachusetts was pitiful. The Supreme Judicial Court on multiple occasions made clear that the state constitution required same-sex marriage, and they were not going to subvert it at the governor's request. Yet back he came, again and again, like a child intent on getting a cookie even though he hadn't eaten his dinner. All the while, he wasted tax payer money, made himself look weak, and ruined the changes of the Republican Party to retain the governorship.

Cristie is smart enough not to follow Romney's play book. Kowtowing to the right wing nuts alienates masses of voters. And the wing nuts will never vote for Cristie, anyway. Following their advice would be like, say, negotiating with Republicans over health care. They lead you down the path, then abandon you at the last moment.

Cristie probably has a good chance in the general election. The question is whether the adults in the Republican Party will take the reins back from the Tea Party and religious wing nuts to give him a chance. I think they will. And I don't know who else a sane Republican would support right now. Surely not Cruz, Paul, or Rubin.

Littleton, NH

#7 Oct 23, 2013
. . . Rubio.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#8 Oct 23, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
... Rubio.
and Christie will be the 2 (R) running. Rubio is better?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#9 Oct 23, 2013
Buddy wrote:
There's more than a few of us that consider it a sad commentary that here in America there are still people who feel that equal treatment of all Americans and their families is immoral and indecent.

Littleton, NH

#10 Oct 23, 2013
Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>and Christie will be the 2 (R) running. Rubio is better?
Only if you want the Democrat to win. Or maybe you just don't want to avert your eyes every time the camera captures the candidate in full view.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Oct 23, 2013
RubyTheDyke wrote:
<quoted text>
There's more than a few of us that consider it a sad commentary that here in America there are still people who feel that equal treatment of all Americans and their families is immoral and indecent.
Many Americans have always believed that since the first Europeans came to these shores. And as we all know, many people obviously STILL believe that.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#12 Oct 23, 2013
Buddy wrote:
The anti equal rights of gay marriage folks are going the way of the dinosaurs. Thankfully.

There are millions of people out there (especially the younger generation) who can look at this issue with rational and reasoned thinking. Thankfully.

“Hicksville Hootenanny”

Since: Sep 13

Kornfield Kounty

#13 Oct 23, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
The anti equal rights of gay marriage folks are going the way of the dinosaurs. Thankfully.
There are millions of people out there (especially the younger generation) who can look at this issue with rational and reasoned thinking. Thankfully.
A great many are log cabin republicans. Oops...said that too loud for this crowd.

hahahahahahaha

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#14 Oct 23, 2013
Christie hurt himself even more with the GOPasaur base by dropping the appeal. I don't think he stands a chance of winning the primary anymore.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#15 Oct 23, 2013
I am an Independent, but there was a time that I considered myself a Republican. I don't know near what I would need to know in order to vote for Christie, but I did admire him for standing up for his state after hurricane Sandy. He jumped over the fence and shook Obama's hand, and even hugged him, I believe. He was not embarrassed to show he was willing to work with anyone when his state needed him to do just that. I would hope that he would show that same diligence when it comes to the country. However, although I am open to considering all future contestants, I am still leaning toward a generic Democrat, due to the ACA. WHICH Democrat will be the deciding factor in 2016.

Littleton, NH

#16 Oct 23, 2013
RalphB wrote:
I am an Independent, but there was a time that I considered myself a Republican. I don't know near what I would need to know in order to vote for Christie, but I did admire him for standing up for his state after hurricane Sandy. He jumped over the fence and shook Obama's hand, and even hugged him, I believe. He was not embarrassed to show he was willing to work with anyone when his state needed him to do just that.
That should not be remarkable. Up until five years ago, it wasn't.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#17 Oct 23, 2013
I can't get past him being able to say that if his own child was gay, he would hug him and love him "anyway," but explain to him that "dad believes marriage is between ONE man and ONE woman."

You don't love someone if you don't want the very best for them. And denying them equal treatment, especially when it comes to choosing a life partner, is the opposite of wanting the best for them.

Littleton, NH

#18 Oct 23, 2013
eJohn wrote:
I can't get past him being able to say that if his own child was gay, he would hug him and love him "anyway," but explain to him that "dad believes marriage is between ONE man and ONE woman."
You don't love someone if you don't want the very best for them. And denying them equal treatment, especially when it comes to choosing a life partner, is the opposite of wanting the best for them.
Many people behave differently than they imagine when they face the actual circumstance. But let's get to brass tacks: If Cristie's daughter was marrying, would he refuse to give her away? Or would he fully participate in and support her ceremony?

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#19 Oct 23, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Many people behave differently than they imagine when they face the actual circumstance. But let's get to brass tacks: If Cristie's daughter was marrying, would he refuse to give her away? Or would he fully participate in and support her ceremony?
I suspect, like I do of a lot of Republicans, that he doesn't truly believe most of the stuff he says. He's just saying whatever he thinks he needs to say in order to get what he wants.

But doesn't that make him a pretty horrible person? Someone who's word you can't trust because you never know if he really believes it or is just playing a game to get what he wants from whoever he wants it from?

Those aren't characteristics I would want in a friend and they're certainly not ones I'd want in someone that's supposed to be representing my best interests.

Littleton, NH

#20 Oct 24, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect, like I do of a lot of Republicans, that he doesn't truly believe most of the stuff he says. He's just saying whatever he thinks he needs to say in order to get what he wants.
But doesn't that make him a pretty horrible person? Someone who's word you can't trust because you never know if he really believes it or is just playing a game to get what he wants from whoever he wants it from?
Those aren't characteristics I would want in a friend and they're certainly not ones I'd want in someone that's supposed to be representing my best interests.
Oh, I don't know. They're still politicians. Do you believe Obama had an epiphany about same-sex marriage a year and a half ago? Or do you believe he had previously been saying what he thought he needed to say?

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#21 Oct 24, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I don't know. They're still politicians. Do you believe Obama had an epiphany about same-sex marriage a year and a half ago? Or do you believe he had previously been saying what he thought he needed to say?
He's a LYING POS who will say ANYTHING to get what he wants.

How's that hopey-chnagey thing workin out fer ya ?

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Huckabee likens gay marriage to incest, polygamy (Apr '10) 17 min Billy Ringo 1,919
News What it cost Indiana to fight same-sex marriage 24 min Wondering 17
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 26 min Wondering 4,447
News Ireland same-sex marriage 27 min Quest 47
News Boy Scouts' leader speaks out on gay adults ban 28 min Wondering 59
News 60 Percent: Record Number Of Americans Support ... 30 min Wondering 212
News Obama to 5-Year-Old Gay Marriage Advocate: 'Cou... 46 min Quest 22
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 6 hr TheTrioSpamGroup 5,559
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 9 hr NoahLovesU 33,160
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 14 hr WasteWater 21,561
More from around the web