Hospital Handcuffs Gay Man Wanting To...

Hospital Handcuffs Gay Man Wanting To See Sick Partner

There are 173 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Apr 11, 2013, titled Hospital Handcuffs Gay Man Wanting To See Sick Partner. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Research Medical Center, a hospital in Missouri, handcuffed and expelled a gay man seeking to see his sick partner despite their mutual power of attorney

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#1 Apr 11, 2013
Sue them to the point where they have to compromise care for the rest of the community to pay it off! Maybe the public will learn that way.

(Unforunately, it would also make some greedy lawyers happy.)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Apr 11, 2013
SUE THEM! SUE THEM NOW! SUE THEM HARD!

bastards!
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Apr 11, 2013
If medicare and medicaid shut off the money spigot; the hospital will be out of business before this makes it to court

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Apr 11, 2013
Damages, baby. DAMAGES !!!
Froggy

Chesapeake, OH

#5 Apr 11, 2013
snyper wrote:
Damages, baby. DAMAGES !!!
You're definitely damaged

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#6 Apr 11, 2013
If hospital personnel handcuffed this person, I believe that is a criminal act and he should press charges agianst teh person who handcuffed him.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#7 Apr 11, 2013
OMG! My partner has back surgery April 18th. Wonder what will happen??? It's not the same hospital. He will be across the state line in KS. He has me listed as emergency contact,etc. etc.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Apr 11, 2013
Just more proof you can't trust biological family members.

They'll be the last people to know if anything should happen to my husband.
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#9 Apr 11, 2013
why didn't he just get a hippa form and healthcare directive?
FREE online...no legal fees required....

Second, why did he think he was special that he should be able to violate the rules requiring these documents because he was "in love"?
MARC

Bronx, NY

#10 Apr 11, 2013
UPDATE: 4/11 3:14 p.m.— Research Medical Center responded to the allegations in a Facebook post on Thursday afternoon.

This was an issue of disruptive and belligerent behavior by the visitor that affected patient care. The hospital’s response followed the same policies that would apply to any individual engaged in this behavior in a patient care setting and was not in any way related to the patient’s or the visitor’s sexual orientation or marital status. This visitor created a barrier for us to care for the patient. Attempts were made to deescalate the situation. Unfortunately, we had no choice but to involve security and the Kansas City MO Police Department.
The hospital also denies it ever filed a restraining order against Gorley.

Source:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/11/gay-...
MARC

Bronx, NY

#11 Apr 11, 2013
“Research Medical Center was one of the first hospitals in Kansas City to offer domestic partner benefits, which have been in place since 2005, and we have had a policy specifically acknowledging domestic partners’ visitation rights in place for years.

This was an issue of disruptive and belligerent behavior by the visitor that affected patient care. The hospital’s response followed the same policies that would apply to any individual engaged in this behavior in a patient care setting and was not in any way related to the patient’s or the visitor’s sexual orientation or marital status. This visitor created a barrier for us to care for the patient. Attempts were made to deescalate the situation. Unfortunately, we had no choice but to involve security and the Kansas City MO Police Department.
The hospital also denies it ever filed a restraining order against Gorley."

Sources:
http://fox4kc.com/2013/04/10/man-no-longer-al...

Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#12 Apr 11, 2013
oh snap...
you mean this media outlet tilted the story in an pro-gay bias?

you mean a gay person was treated JUST LIKE EVERYONE else and it was not enough?

I wish it was shocking...
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#13 Apr 11, 2013
snyper wrote:
SUE THEM! SUE THEM NOW! SUE THEM HARD!
bastards!
and now that the facts are that this guy was just belligerent, how do you feel about being sue happy?

your media lied to you...
right now your agenda is doing things you think only the opposition is doing...
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#14 Apr 11, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
If medicare and medicaid shut off the money spigot; the hospital will be out of business before this makes it to court
wow, you guys are really showing how you operate...
turns out its reality aside as usual for you guys, huh?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#15 Apr 11, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
If hospital personnel handcuffed this person, I believe that is a criminal act and he should press charges agianst teh person who handcuffed him.
The incident happened at Research Medical Center in Kansas City, Missouri. The hospital went one step further and filed a restraining order against Roger to prevent him from entering the hospital!

So this has already been before a judge! And apparently the judge ignored the Power of Attorney as well!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#16 Apr 11, 2013
I just posted this story on my Facebook page. Delaware just introduced SSM legislation. Maryland just passed SSM.

I say all that because I was lucky. In 1988 my partner's mother drove from Delaware to Maryland to make sure the Hospital allowed me to visit him as he lay dying. And she was Catholic Fa-Foxy!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#17 Apr 11, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
<quoted text>
wow, you guys are really showing how you operate...
turns out its reality aside as usual for you guys, huh?
Denying a legal medical power of attorney is your idea of "maintaining reality"?

Really pumpkin??

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#18 Apr 11, 2013
MARC wrote:
“Research Medical Center was one of the first hospitals in Kansas City to offer domestic partner benefits, which have been in place since 2005, and we have had a policy specifically acknowledging domestic partners’ visitation rights in place for years.
The hospital also denies it ever filed a restraining order against Gorley."
Sources:
http://fox4kc.com/2013/04/10/man-no-longer-al...
I notice the first word in your first link is UPDATE!

The story happened. Yes the man is now able to visit. That doesn't change what happened or make it all OK.

For YEARS I have heard people say gays don't need marriage; we can do it all by other means.

This incident proves "other means" aren't enough.

We need National Same Sex Marriage Legal NOW!
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#19 Apr 11, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Denying a legal medical power of attorney is your idea of "maintaining reality"?
Really pumpkin??
where did you see MEDICAL power of attorney?
they are FINANCIAL...
did you just make it up?

all he needed was a HIPAA form...he didn't have one so he got treated just like EVERYONE ELSE...

yes, opposite sex spouses also do a HIPAA form and Advanced Directive/healthcare Proxy...
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#20 Apr 11, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>
This incident proves "other means" aren't enough.
no it shows this guy didn't have the alternate means and thought he should be treated special anyway since he was in love...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pride in local LGBT progress: Some of Metro Van... 1 min Gremlin 15
FuNKY ARCHIVES 11 min SteveO 2
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 16 min Beatnik 53,585
News School district removes gay students' yearbook ... 24 min Gremlin 22
News CBB's Jemma Lucy talks lesbian sex in Celebrity... 29 min SteveO 4
News Patrick's Cabaret settles antigay discriminatio... 34 min Gremlin 6
40 years ago today 38 min Edward 5
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 hr RiccardoFire 8,362
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 4 hr Champ 8
More from around the web