New HIV Infections in US Hold Steady at 50,000

Full story: The Skanner

The number of Americans newly infected with the AIDS virus each year has been holding steady at about 50,000, according to a government report released Wednesday.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Apr 26, 2013
zZZ

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

"NEW YORK (AP)-- The number of Americans newly infected with the AIDS virus each year has been holding steady at about 50,000, according to a government report released Wednesday.

But a U.S. health official said just keeping the number stable was unacceptable, noting a dramatic increase in new HIV cases among young gay and bisexual black men.

"We've made accomplishments in driving down the rate of new infections," said Dr. Kevin Fenton, the AIDS prevention chief for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "The charge now is to continue that trajectory and take that 50,000 down further."

The annual number of new infections peaked at 130,000 in the mid-1980s, he said.

Gay and bisexual men account for the majority of the new cases - nearly two-thirds in 2009. Heterosexuals accounted for 27 percent and injection drug users represented 9 percent of new infections.

The only increase over the four years was in young gay and bisexual men, driven by a 48 percent increase among blacks ages 13 to 29. Fenton said that's one of the areas where prevention efforts need to be focused."

-

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

"Disproportionally affected"

HIV and Syphilis are racist.
wandalouise

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

This can't be a reliable study as not all people with it will get tested for it so how do they know they've got it? There are probably many more people affected than those that they are already aware of.

Quite frightening.
zZZ

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

wandalouise wrote:
This can't be a reliable study as not all people with it will get tested for it so how do they know they've got it? There are probably many more people affected than those that they are already aware of.
Quite frightening.
Generally these studies are relatively accurate. You do not need to sample an entire population to create accurate statistics.

“Shove your "Warnings"”

Since: Jul 11

where da sun don't shine....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

zZZ wrote:
<quoted text>
Generally these studies are relatively accurate. You do not need to sample an entire population to create accurate statistics.
The report says how many new cases are reported. She's right, there's probably thousands of black men running around carrying it that don't even know they are. It's just too bad they focus more on blaming whites for everything that affects them, than heeding warnings and taking precautions suggested by racist white establisments like the CDC...smh...

“seeing is believing”

Since: Jun 11

London / England

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

oh _ ReaIIy ___ wrote:
<quoted text>The report says how many new cases are reported. She's right, there's probably thousands of black men running around carrying it that don't even know they are. It's just too bad they focus more on blaming whites for everything that affects them, than heeding warnings and taking precautions suggested by racist white establisments like the CDC...smh...
'She' is the cat's mother and I do not go around blaming white people for anything other than the way they portray black females in the media. That is what I really find the most damaging and detrimental cause of unrest and dissatisfaction in the black community.
BlackieBlackerso n

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

oh _ ReaIIy ___ wrote:
<quoted text>The report says how many new cases are reported. She's right, there's probably thousands of black men running around carrying it that don't even know they are. It's just too bad they focus more on blaming whites for everything that affects them, than heeding warnings and taking precautions suggested by racist white establisments like the CDC...smh...
Shut up. It is all racist lies. Black people do not even have any aids-n-shit. Cracker lies!!!! They can go out and get all DL all they want. I think The CIA puts the aids on condoms to get rid of black people!!!
Clint Westwood

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

wandalouise wrote:
Quite frightening.
Thanks for brightening my day.
Clint Westwood

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

BlackieBlackerson wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut up. It is all racist lies. Black people do not even have any aids-n-shit. Cracker lies!!!! They can go out and get all DL all they want. I think The CIA puts the aids on condoms to get rid of black people!!!
It's all racist lies. There is no such thing as aids in blacks. They are immune. Being on the DL is 100 percent safe. They said Magic Johnson has it. That was 20 years ago. Does he look sick to you? Condoms aren't needed during gay sex. Nobody is gonna get pregnant. These whites just trying to force black people to act white using condoms . Are u gonna let them whites boss u around?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••