Was Ellen's Liza Minnelli Joke Transp...

Was Ellen's Liza Minnelli Joke Transphobic?

There are 4 comments on the EDGE story from Mar 3, 2014, titled Was Ellen's Liza Minnelli Joke Transphobic?. In it, EDGE reports that:

During the opening monologue of Sunday's 86th Academy Awards, host Ellen DeGeneres made a crack at Liza Minnelli -- the joke has since been labeled by some in the social media universe as transphobic and mean spirited, the Washington Post reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Disgusted

North Hollywood, CA

#1 Mar 3, 2014
Ellen DeGeneres showed her hypocritical lying true self with that brouhaha over a dog several years ago. She is really boring and not one bit funny. What a phony witch this creep is.

How dare she insult a legend in her own time like Liza Minelli? That was beyond mean. I can't wait for Karma to pay Ellen DeGeneres a huge visit and the sooner the better.

It is also amazing that there has been so little criticism of the cruelty displayed toward Liza and the rudeness shown to Kim Novak. Shame on all of them.
Milton

Tampa, FL

#2 Mar 4, 2014
I wonder how big of a strap-on Ellen wears?
Disgusted

North Hollywood, CA

#3 Mar 5, 2014
Ellen DeGeneres shamefully tried to make this CRUEL JOKE at Liza's expense and after some reflecting, this is especially egregious in view of the TRIBUTE TO JUDY GARLAND on the occasion of the anniversary of "Th e Wizard of Oz."

Liza deserves a huge public apology from Degeners imo. So does Kim Novak from the entire audience.

Is Ellen stupid as well as mean?

Is the younger Hollywood so selfish and dumb that they don't even know who Liza Minelli is?

Imo, the answer is YES and they don't have a clue that she is one of Judy Garland's children and a very talented one with an outstanding record of contributions to the entertainment community and arts ON HER OWN!
Sandy Pister

Palm Desert, CA

#4 Mar 7, 2014
Ip
Disgusted wrote:
Ellen DeGeneres shamefully tried to make this CRUEL JOKE at Liza's expense and after some reflecting, this is especially egregious in view of the TRIBUTE TO JUDY GARLAND on the occasion of the anniversary of "Th e Wizard of Oz."
Liza deserves a huge public apology from Degeners imo. So does Kim Novak from the entire audience.
Is Ellen stupid as well as mean?
Is the younger Hollywood so selfish and dumb that they don't even know who Liza Minelli is?
Imo, the answer is YES and they don't have a clue that she is one of Judy Garland's children and a very talented one with an outstanding record of contributions to the entertainment community and arts ON HER OWN!
I couldn't have said it better. Judy's "kids" should have been on stage presenting the tribute, especially in view of the fact Liza won an Oscar herself. I don't think Ellen thought about how offensive that comment would be. Liza is a phenomenal talent in her own right. I thought Ellen was extremely insensitive. I like her, but she was wrong and Liza deserves an apology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 min River Tam 13,168
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 7 min ImFree2Choose 944
News The anti-Nadler landslide 1 hr Fundies R Mentall... 4
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,799
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr GayleWood 37,409
At what age were you born queer? 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 8
News Pentagon Ends Transgender Ban 1 hr BBM 7
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 5 hr WasteWater 991
More from around the web