Poll: Majority Of Americans Support Boy Scouts Of America's Gay Ban

Dec 20, 2012 Full story: On Top Magazine 61

A majority of Americans support the Boy Scouts of America's ban on gay leaders, a USA Today /Gallup poll has found.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#1 Dec 20, 2012
These results show that though many of the people in the US who say they support equal rights are still homphobic.

It is like back in the old days of the Johnson and Nixon years, when after black people were given equal rights by law, white people would go around harumphing "they have their rights now, what more do they want - they are getting uppity."

It also seems to say that people who would be fine with a gay person at work don't want gay men around children, either because they think we are molesters or because they think we will children gay. On other possibility is that they think neither but feel we are not good role models.

disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Dec 20, 2012
support the ALL INCLUSIVE Girl Scouts.......the BSA can Pound sand. If they come to my door collecting or sellng anything - the door will be thoroughly slammed in thier face

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Dec 20, 2012
disgusted american wrote:
support the ALL INCLUSIVE Girl Scouts.......the BSA can Pound sand. If they come to my door collecting or sellng anything - the door will be thoroughly slammed in thier face
Agreed.

I buy Girl Scout cookies whenever I get the chance.

I refuse to support the local BSA troop when they are panhandling outside of WalMart.
Shamshi Adad bin Assyrie

San Antonio, TX

#5 Dec 20, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
I buy Girl Scout cookies whenever I get the chance.
I refuse to support the local BSA troop when they are panhandling outside of WalMart.
Islam will come to reform you.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

#6 Dec 20, 2012
disgusted american wrote:
I agree. I have shunned teh BSA for years, and go out of my way to support the GSA because of their inclusive-policy.

And for the same reason, my church years ago kicked the BSA out of our meeting hall.

Since: Feb 09

Southern California

#9 Dec 20, 2012
They may support it, but big business are taking there money out.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#11 Dec 20, 2012
Do these people support the Boy Scouts HIDING their abuse files for decades? Do they support gay BOYS in Boy Scouts?
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#12 Dec 20, 2012
I love how these first guys bash the BSA and then lament how they cannot join...
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#13 Dec 20, 2012
JohnInToronto wrote:
These results show that though many of the people in the US who say they support equal rights are still homphobic.
It is like back in the old days of the Johnson and Nixon years, when after black people were given equal rights by law, white people would go around harumphing "they have their rights now, what more do they want - they are getting uppity."
It also seems to say that people who would be fine with a gay person at work don't want gay men around children, either because they think we are molesters or because they think we will children gay. On other possibility is that they think neither but feel we are not good role models.
Most people *aren't* thinking; these are "knee-jerk reactions" or they are based in prejudices these people *couldn't explain to you in a logical way* without stumbling and bumbling over their own words.

And I'm supposed to give a *rotting shit* about these companies that are literally cutting off the boy scouts for this behavior. As the antigay would have it, we're supposed to be weeping and screaming when they're doing the equivalent of calling blacks "filth who should not be in polite society" -- which is as much as they're doing, by way of example vis-a-vis another oppressed group.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

#14 Dec 20, 2012
EdmondWA wrote:
Do these people support the Boy Scouts HIDING their abuse files for decades? Do they support gay BOYS in Boy Scouts?
I *screeched* about this when it became public knowledge. No one seemed to care.

The #1 thing I took away from it was that, "hilariously," the one-man-one-woman-you-must-be- straight model *DIDN'T* work: If the boy scouts were *BANNING* gay males, then alllll these straight guys (!!!) and married guys (!!!) slipped through the cracks and were abusing kids left and right.

And in response to every last one of those cases, in response to 100.0% of the knowledge *THEY* hid for decades, the boy scouts continue to ban *GAYS ONLY* and pay zero attention to logic where their own findings are concerned.

Yeah, let's be clear, I have zero sympathy for them *absolutely and conclusively no matter what* anyone says about the matter,*ever*, end of discussion. It boggles my mind that the antigay act like psychotic rapists when it comes to justifying their own horse shit, and don't even pay attention to facts or logic. Ever. Ever. Ever.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#15 Dec 20, 2012
hi hi wrote:
I *screeched* about this when it became public knowledge. No one seemed to care.
The #1 thing I took away from it was that, "hilariously," the one-man-one-woman-you-must-be- straight model *DIDN'T* work: If the boy scouts were *BANNING* gay males, then alllll these straight guys (!!!) and married guys (!!!) slipped through the cracks and were abusing kids left and right.
And in response to every last one of those cases, in response to 100.0% of the knowledge *THEY* hid for decades, the boy scouts continue to ban *GAYS ONLY* and pay zero attention to logic where their own findings are concerned.
Yeah, let's be clear, I have zero sympathy for them *absolutely and conclusively no matter what* anyone says about the matter,*ever*, end of discussion. It boggles my mind that the antigay act like psychotic rapists when it comes to justifying their own horse shit, and don't even pay attention to facts or logic. Ever. Ever. Ever.
EXACTLY.

They paint this horrible picture of gay people as the "villain", which simply allows the REAL perpetrators to disguise themselves as "heroes" and infiltrate their ranks. Happened the same way with the Roman Catholic Church, and now they're HIDING the consequences in exactly the same way.

And these people don't seem to realize, the poll may be asking how they feel about gay SCOUTMASTERS, but BSA policy doesn't limit this discrimination to scoutmasters, it targets gay SCOUTS as well.

I don't know who these people think they're protecting. Scouts? Not when the BSA is hiding the evidence of the damage TO those very same scouts. This only protects BSA administration, which makes sense because they would seek protection for themselves after being complicit in covering up criminal activity.
Fitz

Roseville, MI

#17 Dec 20, 2012
Again homosexual activists and their cultural left fellow travelers show themselves to be over zelous, unsophisticated , and ignorant of fundemental consitutional rights and elemental notions of a Liberal social order.

The Boy Scouts policy is covered under all Americans "right to free assocaition' as covered in the first amendment.

This policy allows voluntary groups to choose their mebership status as well as their leadership requirments.

Its the very same rights that allows Lambda legal, the ACLU, the Communist Party of America, and your average Lesbian softball league do as they please with whom they please.

If you dont like the Boy Scouts policies then by all means start your own youth orginization for developing your own idea of "charachter" for your own children. That is your right.

Tawas City, Michigan

#18 Dec 20, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
I love how these first guys bash the BSA and then lament how they cannot join...
That's because you're too stupid to figure out it's 2 separate issues.

I would never have an abortion, but I will fight to keep the right to abortion legal.

I would never see a Adam Sandler movie, but I will fight for the right to see whatever movie I wish.

I would never read the bible, but I will fight for the right to be able to read whatever I wish.

I know those were pretty simple analogies, but I'm sure I stumped you anyways......

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Dec 20, 2012
Fitz wrote:
Again homosexual activists and their cultural left fellow travelers show themselves to be over zelous, unsophisticated , and ignorant of fundemental consitutional rights and elemental notions of a Liberal social order.
The Boy Scouts policy is covered under all Americans "right to free assocaition' as covered in the first amendment.
This policy allows voluntary groups to choose their mebership status as well as their leadership requirments.
Its the very same rights that allows Lambda legal, the ACLU, the Communist Party of America, and your average Lesbian softball league do as they please with whom they please.
If you dont like the Boy Scouts policies then by all means start your own youth orginization for developing your own idea of "charachter" for your own children. That is your right.
Actually we were just one vote away on the SCOTUS from having the BSA declared a quasi-public organization, which means they would have had to follow anti-discrimination laws.

For a supposed legal "expert", you have difficulty understanding that a 5-4 decision is NOT the same as a unanimous one. It's NOT the final answer for all time.

Again, all we need is one more liberal on the court and then the "fundamental constitutional right" will be that gays can't be discriminated against by the BSA.

Scalia & Kennedy will die eventually.......
Fitz

Roseville, MI

#20 Dec 20, 2012
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>

And these people don't seem to realize, the poll may be asking how they feel about gay SCOUTMASTERS, but BSA policy doesn't limit this discrimination to scoutmasters, it targets gay SCOUTS as well.
I don't know who these people think they're protecting. Scouts?.
People are justified in being concerned not just with gay scoutmasters but with gay scouts themselves. Its not unusual for a young man with gay tendancies to elecit sexual contact with other younger/weaker or more suseptable fellow scouts. This is especially the case in organization like the Scouts thats regularly hold Jamboree's, overnight camping trips, and a multitude of activities were this behavior can easily occure.

The ban on gay scouts is simply one part of a multi-prong approach to discourage innapropriate sexual activity, and teach charachter and traditional virture to young men. It neither stops or start with the prohibition on gay scouts.

FYI - The Boy Scouts of America also prohibits atheist Scouts. You can be Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Christian or what not... but you cannot be a atheist Scout.

Tawas City, Michigan

#22 Dec 20, 2012
Fitz wrote:
<quoted text>
People are justified in being concerned not just with gay scoutmasters but with gay scouts themselves. Its not unusual for a young man with gay tendancies to elecit sexual contact with other younger/weaker or more suseptable fellow scouts. This is especially the case in organization like the Scouts thats regularly hold Jamboree's, overnight camping trips, and a multitude of activities were this behavior can easily occure.
The ban on gay scouts is simply one part of a multi-prong approach to discourage innapropriate sexual activity, and teach charachter and traditional virture to young men. It neither stops or start with the prohibition on gay scouts.
FYI - The Boy Scouts of America also prohibits atheist Scouts. You can be Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Christian or what not... but you cannot be a atheist Scout.
At least you bought into the entire "predatory gay" mythology......

Tawas City, Michigan

#23 Dec 20, 2012
Homosexual Tendencies wrote:
<quoted text>
"I wish not to own or use a gun but I would feverishly defend the 2nd amendment for all citizens."
You're so full of _______ your eyes are brown.
Tendencies that are followed up by actions should never be provided special rights.
Equal rights aren't special rights.

One more liberal justice on the SCOTUS; that's all we need.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#25 Dec 20, 2012
Some, not all have acted on the same tendencies that you give into and that is a physical relationship or desire of the same sex.
Which shouldn't be a problem, as long as it's consensual and adult. The problem comes when someone tries to impose such a relationship onto someone who is unwilling, or who is too young to make an informed decision.

When that happens, the BSA would rather you didn't know about it. They would rather the POLICE didn't know about it. It's hard to support that kind of criminal complicity.
Gays got shut out from the Boy Scouts by a judge that had common sense.
It was a judge who understood that the BSA has the right to make their own policies, which is a fact. They do have that right. That doesn't mean that the rest of us can't call it an unethical policy, which it is. They're shutting out the WRONG PEOPLE, which is evidenced by their shameful HIDDEN abuse files.
Something that is very lacking here in the pedophilia capital of the country.
I think you want "homosexuality" and "pedophelia" to mean the same thing, but they do not. The BSA is shutting out gay people who would never do this, but they are flinging their doors open wide to pedophiles.
Any sexual behavior outside of a consensual male and female is a form of perversion and excess whether it is of the same sex or a man committing adultery, a brother with a sister, polygamy, and so on.
Sez you. Prove it.
To create special space and rights for those acting out on homosexual 'tendencies' you might as well accomodate them all.
No, you tackle each issue separately. You don't lump them all together and then expect a viable solution. I could make the same kind of baseless claims, and arrive at the same kind of faulty conclusion. Like this:

"Any belief system outside of systematic scientific analysis is a form of perversion and excess whether it is of Christianity or Islam, Judaism, Mormonism, and so on. To create special space and rights for those acting out supernatural 'tendencies' you might as well accomodate them all."

Sound about right? Does it sound CORRECT? Does it sound like useful policy?
The same group of people marketing beastiality are the same people marketing you. Pigs.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Who is "marketing" bestiality? No one, as far as I know.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#28 Dec 20, 2012
Fitz wrote:
Oh, yeah, you "teach" a whole lot by kicking people out. Don't bother with guidance, education, mentoring... who needs it? Just EXPEL the "undesirables". That really teaches those who REMAIN a lot about how to treat others, too.

This only promotes a culture of exclusion and division. It does NOTHING to teach anyone about appropriate behavior. Just like with the military's previous ban on gay soldiers, it only teaches people to LIE and HIDE their true selves so they can be included. What a crappy lesson to teach.
Fitz wrote:
Another despicable policy. If the "Boy" Scouts are not actually for ALL boys, then they should change their name to something which more accurately reflects their prejudicial exclusion.

Tawas City, Michigan

#29 Dec 20, 2012
Brown Lipstick wrote:
The day is near and the numbers so great.
Subversion and decadence has an effect on every single human beings rights which the scotus has failed to uphold.
From Norman Rockwell's America to Hugh Heffner's.
Subversion, decadence, and homosexuality are one and the same. The rainbow ruse.
And according to the Mayans the world will end tomorrow..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 4 min WeTheSheeple 1,392
Poll: Support for gay marriage may be leveling off 6 min Buford 3
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 8 min pocahontas 2,009
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 min Long Stream 49,934
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 11 min cancer suxs 258
Allowing Blood Donations From Gay Men Could Hel... 17 min WeTheSheeple 56
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 19 min Avenger 1,479
How long before being gay is a fireable offense? 2 hr hahaha 42
Biggest Gay Lies 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 2,092
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••