Constitutional Ban On Gay Marriage Gathers Dust In House Committee

Jul 16, 2013 Full story: www.huffingtonpost.com 84

When the Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act in late June, Rep. Tim Huelskamp didn't waste any time filing legislation that would go around the court and ban same-sex marriage by amending the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#1 Jul 16, 2013
This bill will never be approved by even the subcommittee responsible for proposed U.S. Constitutional Amendments, let alone the Judiciary Committee.

Despite what many people here say, the Republicans are NOT that stupid. This thing is DOA.

Since: Jan 08

Sriracha, Thailand

#2 Jul 16, 2013
Let's keep it simple: Republicans hate gays and any group that doesn't fit in with their white, "Christian", male dominated world. Their days are numbered. Period.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#3 Jul 16, 2013
Yep, this bill ain't going no where.....and if in 2006 a Constitutional Amendment failed with a helluva lot more on board......then this bill today is nothing more than a "see, we tried"........lol!!!

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#4 Jul 16, 2013
Dubya wrote:
Let's keep it simple: Republicans hate gays and any group that doesn't fit in with their white, "Christian", male dominated world. Their days are numbered. Period.
Yes. EXACTLY WHY for many years, they have been elected to a majority in the House Of Representatives, elected to a majority in the governors' mansions, and elected to a majority in the majority of the 99 legislatures in the U.S.

WOW ! You're RIGHT ! The Republican Party is at death's doorstep, and will expire completely next Wednesday at 8.15 am.

Since: Jan 08

Sriracha, Thailand

#5 Jul 16, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. EXACTLY WHY for many years, they have been elected to a majority in the House Of Representatives, elected to a majority in the governors' mansions, and elected to a majority in the majority of the 99 legislatures in the U.S.
WOW ! You're RIGHT ! The Republican Party is at death's doorstep, and will expire completely next Wednesday at 8.15 am.
Yes, you are right; they have appealed to large demographic of America, but that demographic is changing. I do wish your "prediction" was accurate, but I do think it will take a bit more time. Maybe week after next.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6 Jul 16, 2013
This is a piece on the board that will be trotted out after midterm election. It WILL be a 2016 issue.

Big BIG issue.

Make friends. We'll need 'em.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#8 Jul 17, 2013
snyper wrote:
This is a piece on the board that will be trotted out after midterm election. It WILL be a 2016 issue.
Big BIG issue.
Make friends. We'll need 'em.
Republicans have used this issue for two decades now as a stage show. This bill is going nowhere.

Democrats have adopted marriage equality in their official platform, and the House majority is not big enough to pass without Democratic help. There have always been Republican defectors on this issue,and that will continue to be the case--only more so.

There are also Democrats who want to vote for the amendment, but they will loath handing Republicans any sort of victory on the subject. Given that marriage equality was in the platform during the last election, there should be few defectors from the Democratic side.

Then we come to the Senate, where we can count on Reid and committee chairs to bottle up any bill.(Unless they decide to hold a vote just to embarrass Republicans.). We should count on Ayotte and Collins, plus Portman and others, to resist Republican pressure to vote for the amendment.

So it has less chance than ever. But a big public argument does present an opportunity for Republicans to embarrass themselves and alienate more voters. So I hope you are right: let Republicans make a big show in 2015, just as the Presidential primary season is heating up. We can only hope that they will be so stupid.(Empirical evidence certainly doesn't rule it out.)

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#10 Jul 17, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. EXACTLY WHY for many years, they have been elected to a majority in the House Of Representatives, elected to a majority in the governors' mansions, and elected to a majority in the majority of the 99 legislatures in the U.S.
WOW ! You're RIGHT ! The Republican Party is at death's doorstep, and will expire completely next Wednesday at 8.15 am.
Do you know what a Poseur is?

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#11 Jul 17, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what a Poseur is?
A REALLY strong beer from Czechoslovakia ?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Jul 17, 2013
snyper wrote:
This is a piece on the board that will be trotted out after midterm election. It WILL be a 2016 issue.
Big BIG issue.
Make friends. We'll need 'em.
Only if the GOPasaurs have no intention of winning the White House....

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#13 Jul 17, 2013
Dubya wrote:
Let's keep it simple: Republicans hate gays and any group that doesn't fit in with their white, "Christian", male dominated world. Their days are numbered. Period.
And regarding my post from above, according to TIME Magazine, NOT known as a bastion of Republican Party, an article today says that the Republicans will almost certainly gain a majority in the U.S. Senate in the next election.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/07/17/gop-clai...

If that happens the Republicans will have a majority in ALL of the major government positions, i.e. U.S. Senate, U.S. House, U.S Governorships, and U.S. state houses. That will leave The Obamaniac isolated.

What will The Obamaniac do when that happens and congress tells The Obamaniac that they will not consider ANY legislation he sends to congress for consideration ? Maybe he could call Jimmy Carter to help him out ?:)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14 Jul 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if the GOPasaurs have no intention of winning the White House....
They aren't going to shoot for the White House this time. They want Congress and the State Houses.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#15 Jul 17, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
They aren't going to shoot for the White House this time. They want Congress and the State Houses.
If Republicans think that their constitutional amendment will help keep the House and win the Senate, then they should be promoting it before the 2014 elections, not after.

But that would be a miscalculation. They dynamics have changed. Sure there are some states where same-sex marriage will still activate the base, but you'll find that they're pretty red already. The purple states like Pennsylvania are not going to be persuaded by DOMA.

But if they're going to try it, they'd better do it in 2014 with the lower turnout mid term elections. In 2016, the strategy has no chance of motivating more DOMA supporters than opponents. And by 2018, it will be a strategy for self-destruction.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#16 Jul 17, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
They aren't going to shoot for the White House this time. They want Congress and the State Houses.
They already have a majority in the House, a majority of the 99 state houses, and a majority of the governorships. They say there is a good chance that they will also gain a majority of the U.S. Senate.

What will The Obamaniac do then ? And if his and his cohorts' and minions' policies are so popular, why do the American people keep voting them out of office ?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#17 Jul 17, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
And regarding my post from above, according to TIME Magazine, NOT known as a bastion of Republican Party, an article today says that the Republicans will almost certainly gain a majority in the U.S. Senate in the next election.
http://swampland.time.com/2013/07/17/gop-clai...
If that happens the Republicans will have a majority in ALL of the major government positions, i.e. U.S. Senate, U.S. House, U.S Governorships, and U.S. state houses. That will leave The Obamaniac isolated.
What will The Obamaniac do when that happens and congress tells The Obamaniac that they will not consider ANY legislation he sends to congress for consideration ? Maybe he could call Jimmy Carter to help him out ?:)
Really? Time is supposed to be a liberal magazine? I admit it's been decades since I picked up a copy, but it was pretty conservative last time I read it.

As for losing the senate: That was supposed to have happened in 2012. But a funny thing happened on the way to the ballot box: Republicans tripped all over themselves. Democrats actually ended up with a larger majoirty.

And the Republicans seem determined to repeat their clown act.

And carpet bagger Scott Brown vs former governor Jeanne Shaheen? Seriously?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#18 Jul 17, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
If Republicans think that their constitutional amendment will help keep the House and win the Senate, then they should be promoting it before the 2014 elections, not after.
But that would be a miscalculation. They dynamics have changed. Sure there are some states where same-sex marriage will still activate the base, but you'll find that they're pretty red already. The purple states like Pennsylvania are not going to be persuaded by DOMA.
But if they're going to try it, they'd better do it in 2014 with the lower turnout mid term elections. In 2016, the strategy has no chance of motivating more DOMA supporters than opponents. And by 2018, it will be a strategy for self-destruction.
It's difficult to discuss something like this without maps and charts. The ISSUE will be effective in State and Congressional races, but only coupled with other issues.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#19 Jul 17, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Time is supposed to be a liberal magazine? I admit it's been decades since I picked up a copy, but it was pretty conservative last time I read it.
As for losing the senate: That was supposed to have happened in 2012. But a funny thing happened on the way to the ballot box: Republicans tripped all over themselves. Democrats actually ended up with a larger majoirty.
And the Republicans seem determined to repeat their clown act.
And carpet bagger Scott Brown vs former governor Jeanne Shaheen? Seriously?
If the Republicans don't gain a majority in the Senate, but retain the majority in the House, it won't matter to me a whit, because The Obamaniac STILL won't be able to get anything passed.

Do YOU think the Republicans will actually consider anything The Obamaniac wants, with 2016 looming not too far off ??? He should start packing his bags rite now. He's already a lame duck.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#20 Jul 17, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Republicans don't gain a majority in the Senate, but retain the majority in the House, it won't matter to me a whit, because The Obamaniac STILL won't be able to get anything passed.
Do YOU think the Republicans will actually consider anything The Obamaniac wants, with 2016 looming not too far off ??? He should start packing his bags rite now. He's already a lame duck.
Which helps explain why our economy is still sputtering, roads and infrastructure is deteriorating, and people are hungry and freezing.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#21 Jul 17, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Which helps explain why our economy is still sputtering, roads and infrastructure is deteriorating, and people are hungry and freezing.
???!!! The Obamaniac and his minions and cohorts in congress passed that trillion-dollar "infrastructure repair bill" years ago for those 400 million "shovel-ready jobs" ! Didn't you get your Obamaniac Memorial Shovel in the mail ?! If not, call the post office !

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#22 Jul 17, 2013
I remember Jimmy Carter's famous "Malaise Speech". He said: "BUSH'S FAULT !"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 21 min Suffer as 2 57,020
first gay experiences (Oct '11) 45 min Frank Stanton 88
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr In Your Opinion 8,043
Evangelicals to Gays: We Have Nothing For You |... (Mar '10) 2 hr Fa-Foxy 18,818
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 3 hr Cowobunga 4,867
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 4 hr barry 3,481
Ala group: some judges might give same-sex marr... 4 hr Rev Don Wildmoan 10
Analysis: Equal rights or statesa rights on gay... 4 hr Rev Don Wildmoan 192
Biggest Gay Lies (May '14) 4 hr Eugene 3,016
Man takes legal action after Denver baker refus... 5 hr DebraE 277
More from around the web