National Gay Blood Drive Campaign Com...

National Gay Blood Drive Campaign Comes to Kansas City

There are 25 comments on the River Front Times story from Jul 12, 2013, titled National Gay Blood Drive Campaign Comes to Kansas City. In it, River Front Times reports that:

Activists are currently standing outside of a Kansas City blood donation center to protest a Federal Drug Administration law prohibiting gay men from donating.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at River Front Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Jul 12, 2013
Everyone should be able to donate. They should test all blood if they don't already. Don't assume just because someone is straight means they are disease free.
All Clans

Knoxville, TN

#2 Jul 15, 2013
I don't want no gay blood.

Ridgedale, MO

#3 Jul 15, 2013
There are a whole host of people who engage in high risk behavior or have medical issues that disqualify them from donating blood, and for good reason. Blood borne diseases can be fatal to those receiving a transfusion.

Men who engage in homosexual acts run a risk of contracting HIV that is 40 times higher than that of men who don't. Such men comprise only 2% of the population, yet are responsible for 78% of newly infected men.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/gender/msm/facts/...

Choosing to engage in homosexual acts comes with consequences. One of those is being disqualified from donating blood.

This issue isn't about discrimination, it's about protecting medical patients.

Location hidden

#8 Jul 17, 2013
All Clans wrote:
I don't want no gay blood.
How would you know whether the person is gay or not? Many people have lied. Many straight guys have had a homosexual experience growing up, maybe even you. I wouldn't give my blood to you anyway.

Location hidden

#9 Jul 17, 2013
guest wrote:
There are a whole host of people who engage in high risk behavior or have medical issues that disqualify them from donating blood, and for good reason. Blood borne diseases can be fatal to those receiving a transfusion.
Men who engage in homosexual acts run a risk of contracting HIV that is 40 times higher than that of men who don't. Such men comprise only 2% of the population, yet are responsible for 78% of newly infected men.
Choosing to engage in homosexual acts comes with consequences. One of those is being disqualified from donating blood.
Your post still makes it seem as if you look down on homosexuality. You are stereotyping. Not all gays are promiscuous nor do they all have HIV. Many straights have HIV. Don't they test the blood anyway to rule out the straights who have disease or if I need a blood transfusion am I going to be at risk of catching something from STRAIGHT BLOOD? They should test everyone's blood, including straights. You don't get off the hook because you are straight. How do we know you don't have HIV or AIDS?
Sven

Switzerland

#10 Jul 17, 2013
guest wrote:
Great post! Well said and 100% spot on!

“I'm here to make friends, etc.”

Since: Sep 10

Fernandina Beach, Florida

#11 Jul 17, 2013
I saw that person's link and it also mentions blacks having a high rate of HIV. Is the FDA going to ban blacks from donating blood? I hardly think so because it is a protected class. They need to stop discriminating against gays. Just test all the blood for disease. Blacks and straights are not immune to HIV or any other disease. Test their blood too!
Sven

Switzerland

#12 Jul 17, 2013
The point is that 99.9% of gay men have AIDS so why bother accepting their blood and wasting money to test it? We already know it's infested with AIDS.

KEEP THE BAN!

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#13 Jul 17, 2013
John Crews wrote:
I saw that person's link and it also mentions blacks having a high rate of HIV. Is the FDA going to ban blacks from donating blood? I hardly think so because it is a protected class. They need to stop discriminating against gays. Just test all the blood for disease. Blacks and straights are not immune to HIV or any other disease. Test their blood too!
Also, the ban operates on the assumption that all gay men participate in anal sex, and this is certainly not true. From what I have read and heard over the years, anal sex seems to be as common an activity amongst str8 people, if not more so.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#15 Jul 17, 2013
The reality is that the ban has never applied to all persons who risk HIV infection, which has led to reliable, cost-effective testing of all donated blood and blood products. The ban as written has not served a legitimate purpose in years and has excluded far too many healthy donors. The time has come for it to end.
Straight Sh00ter

United States

#16 Jul 17, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
The reality is that the ban has never applied to all persons who risk HIV infection, which has led to reliable, cost-effective testing of all donated blood and blood products. The ban as written has not served a legitimate purpose in years and has excluded far too many healthy donors. The time has come for it to end.
Or could it be that gay blood is undesirable, like gays themselves?

Location hidden

#18 Jul 18, 2013
Straight Sh00ter wrote:
<quoted text>
Or could it be that gay blood is undesirable, like gays themselves?
Well when there is a shortage of blood don't come crying to us for help if you need a blood transfusion. I'm sure you'd probably rather die than take blood from a gay person but that is your prerogative.

Not all gays have diseases and nowhere close to 99.9 percent like the ignorant troll stated (nor can he back up that percentage with any links or legitimate proof). Many gays don't even have anal sex, many straights do.

Location hidden

#19 Jul 18, 2013
Does anyone even have the link to the article? Topix lately has not been giving links to articles within the threads.

Location hidden

#21 Jul 18, 2013
Why are links to articles not showing up Gay Topix?

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/gay/T78PCE63S...
equalityboy81

Yulee, FL

#23 Jul 18, 2013
I gave you guys the links to the article and the duplicate of this thread with all our post and some explanations but it looks like Topix deleted my posts or someone doesn't want us to have the article.
equalityboy81

Yulee, FL

#25 Jul 18, 2013
I gave you the link to the article signed out and they deleted it again. Someone has it in for us gays and I cannot see my posts that I posted when signed out when I'm signed back in.

Location hidden

#28 Jul 18, 2013
I noticed they deleted my links again.

Location hidden

#29 Jul 18, 2013
When I post the links (that are missing) to articles I've noticed Topix or someone deletes them.
equalityboy81

Yulee, FL

#30 Jul 18, 2013
When I post the links (that are missing) to articles I've noticed Topix or someone deletes them. What's up with that?!

Location hidden

#31 Jul 18, 2013
I gave you guys the links to the article and the duplicate of this thread with all our post and some explanations but it looks like Topix deleted my posts or someone doesn't want us to have the article.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Duckworth says transgender ban disc... 1 min Chill out 44
News 12-year-old girl comes out to her Mormon congre... 6 min Rose_NoHo 531
News Trump bans transgender people from military 7 min TomInElPaso 64
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 13 min TomInElPaso 52,241
News Study: 12,000 acts of condomless gay sex, 0 HIV... 15 min TomInElPaso 53
News Trump's transgender troops ban divides veterans... 19 min anonymous 26
News Gay bar opens near Macon Road, drawing visitors... 20 min Rose_NoHo 508
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 35 min Freedomofexpression 7,056
More from around the web