IRS issues tax rules for married gay couples

Aug 29, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

The government on Thursday said that all legally married gay couples will be able to file joint federal tax returns even if they reside in states that do not recognize same-sex marriages.

Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Aug 30, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rainbow to the Angels

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Aug 29, 2013
Did your see THAT!
"even if they reside in states that do not recognize same-sex marriages!"
Not only are the Homophobic Hate States now officially irrelevant; they forfeit their rights to tax gay couples until they get those marriage licenses circulating
This is a major big-time gay-rights breakthrough!
Woooo Hooooo!!!!!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Aug 29, 2013
H&R Block will be SO happy.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#3 Aug 29, 2013
Rainbow to the Angels wrote:
Did your see THAT!
Not only are the Homophobic Hate States now officially irrelevant; they forfeit their rights to tax gay couples until they get those marriage licenses circulating
Woooo Hooooo!!!!!
Not too quick on the uptake, are you?

States aren't forfeiting anything in taxing gay couples.

The ruling applies only to Federal income taxes.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#4 Aug 29, 2013
snyper wrote:
H&R Block will be SO happy.
That makes no sense.
Dump

Enterprise, AL

#5 Aug 29, 2013
Rainbow to the Angels wrote:
Did your see THAT!
Woooo Hooooo!!!!!
Stupid R U.

Only applies to Federal taxes, not state income taxes.

States can still stick it to you. They will, too.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#6 Aug 29, 2013
Dumpling, since for most folk, their federal tax liabilities are higher than those to the state, it's the more desirable benefit of the two. Besides, any increased taxes paid to the state, deductible on your federal return.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#7 Aug 30, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes no sense.
In the states I have lived in, the state forms uses the figures directly from the federal form for it's calculations. Should be interesting, if the states that don't recognize those marriages need to revamp their formulas and documents.

More paperwork - happy H&R.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#8 Aug 30, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
In the states I have lived in, the state forms uses the figures directly from the federal form for it's calculations. Should be interesting, if the states that don't recognize those marriages need to revamp their formulas and documents.
I forgot about state taxes. I live in Florida - no state taxes. Ta-da!(Please come to Disney World LOL)

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#9 Aug 30, 2013
Probably the most important part of this for us older folks is that our estate will not be taxed when transferred to our spouse upon our death. That's a HUGE aspect.
Rainbow to the Angels

Alpharetta, GA

#10 Aug 30, 2013
Dump wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid R U.
Only applies to Federal taxes, not state income taxes.
States can still stick it to you. They will, too.
Your avatar says you're in Alabama
Alabama cannot compute gay married couples' state taxes off federal calculations because the Alabama state constitution says gay married couples do not exist; regardless of where they're from
So Alabama's government won't get its slice of the gay marriage tax gravy train
po'thangs

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#11 Aug 30, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Not too quick on the uptake, are you?
States aren't forfeiting anything in taxing gay couples.
The ruling applies only to Federal income taxes.
True, but my husband and I pay FAR less taxes to the State of Michigan filing as two single people than we would as a married couple.

We can double up on our deductions because he can take all our itemized deductions on his return and I can still take the standard deduction on mine--married couples can't do that.

I also qualify, because of the standard deduction, to claim the $1,500 Homestead Property Tax Credit, which we *also* wouldn't be able to do if we were filing jointly.

So the State of Michigan is losing several thousand dollars *from just us* each and every year that they refuse to acknowledge our marriage. Imagine how much money that adds up to when multiplied by thousands and thousands of gay couples in this state.

I'd gladly and happily pay the extra taxes, but as long as the State discriminates against us, it'll cost 'em.

Suck it, Lansing!

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#12 Aug 30, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
They'll have to be VERY careful if they do. They'd be treading on super-thin ice.

In Michigan, our anti-equality amendment forbids the State from recognizing same-sex couples in any way, period, end of.

So wouldn't re-writing the state tax forms to accommodate married same-sex couples, even so as to tax us more, be violating that hate-based amendment?? After all, the State of Michigan is constitutionally required to pretend that married gay couples don't exist.

If they want to tax us as a married couple, I'm all for it. Recognize our marriage and we're good to go! Until then, I'll happily fill out pretend Federal Tax Forms in order to get the AGI number the State requires on our individual tax returns. Why wouldn't I? I get to double up on the income deductions and pay less tax to the State. Yahtzee!!

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#13 Aug 30, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
They'll have to be VERY careful if they do. They'd be treading on super-thin ice.
In Michigan, our anti-equality amendment forbids the State from recognizing same-sex couples in any way, period, end of.
So wouldn't re-writing the state tax forms to accommodate married same-sex couples, even so as to tax us more, be violating that hate-based amendment?? After all, the State of Michigan is constitutionally required to pretend that married gay couples don't exist.
If they want to tax us as a married couple, I'm all for it. Recognize our marriage and we're good to go! Until then, I'll happily fill out pretend Federal Tax Forms in order to get the AGI number the State requires on our individual tax returns. Why wouldn't I? I get to double up on the income deductions and pay less tax to the State. Yahtzee!!
I do my taxes twice, just because I'm a bit OCD. I do it once on Turbo Tax, and once on H & R Block. All I have to do is file Married on, say, Turbo Tax, then single on H & R Block. Send in the Turbo tax to the Feds, and the H & R Block to the state. Works for me. I get to deduct the price of the programs and deprive the state of Missouri the extra taxes. Life is good!!

Location hidden

#14 Aug 30, 2013
RalphB wrote:
Probably the most important part of this for us older folks is that our estate will not be taxed when transferred to our spouse upon our death. That's a HUGE aspect.
Will not be FEDERALLY taxed.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#15 Aug 30, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I do my taxes twice, just because I'm a bit OCD. I do it once on Turbo Tax, and once on H & R Block. All I have to do is file Married on, say, Turbo Tax, then single on H & R Block. Send in the Turbo tax to the Feds, and the H & R Block to the state. Works for me. I get to deduct the price of the programs and deprive the state of Missouri the extra taxes. Life is good!!
I'll end up having to prepare FIVE tax returns for my husband and I to comply with current Michigan law--Our actual joint Federal return, then our two pretend individual Federal returns (the ones that allow me to double up on our deductions), then our two individual State tax returns (where we can also double-up on our deductions).

But, like I said, that's okay with me!! Until Michigan recognizes our marriage, it will save us THOUSANDS in State income taxes.

I just did hear something interesting on Michigan Public Radio, though.... Our state tax returns don't ask for the gender(s) of the filers. It only asks for the filers' FEDERAL filing status and requires the state filers to file the same way.

NOW we've got a problem. Under NO circumstances will I file a joint tax return to the State of Michigan while they are refusing to recognize my marriage. But the current forms are VERY clear about filing status.

I wonder how THAT little hate-based dilemma will be resolved.... It's going to KILL the Republicans in Lansing to even THINK about this problem. And I'm going to LOVE IT!!

Location hidden

#16 Aug 30, 2013
"eJohn", please DO consult a tax attorney, but DEFINITELY copy that last post to your nearest ACLU office ... soon.

That problem has juicy juicy meat on it's bones.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#17 Aug 30, 2013
snyper wrote:
"eJohn", please DO consult a tax attorney, but DEFINITELY copy that last post to your nearest ACLU office ... soon.
That problem has juicy juicy meat on it's bones.
Thanks! I'm not a tax *attorney*, but I am a tax accountant. I've done beaucoup research into these issues specifically because of the inequity of it all.

But you know, the funny thing is, whenever there's an inequity forced upon a disfavored minority, there are always little consolation prizes hidden in the muck. In our case, it's the fact that we pay FAR less tax filing separately than we would jointly. And it's 110% legal.

Remember a few years ago when the Republicans we all congratulating themselves with lots of back slapping and big smiles about how they "did away with the marriage penalty" in the tax code??? TOTAL LIE!! They changed the tax tables so that *some* married couples pay the same taxes as if they were filing as singly, but not all of them. Most married couples still fall into categories that make them end up paying more taxes than they would filing as individuals.

And I'm okay with that, actually. Married couples get HUGE benefits from the government. I have no argument against married couples paying a tax premium for those benefits. But that's where the unintended silver lining comes in for married gay couples that live in states that don't recognize our marriage. Most of us get substantial tax breaks because of it.

Would I be happy paying the extra taxes if the state would recognize my marriage??? Absolutely!! No problem. But until they do, I'm going to enjoy the tax breaks that come along with it.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#18 Aug 30, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Will not be FEDERALLY taxed.
True enough.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#19 Aug 30, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll end up having to prepare FIVE tax returns for my husband and I to comply with current Michigan law--Our actual joint Federal return, then our two pretend individual Federal returns (the ones that allow me to double up on our deductions), then our two individual State tax returns (where we can also double-up on our deductions).
But, like I said, that's okay with me!! Until Michigan recognizes our marriage, it will save us THOUSANDS in State income taxes.
I just did hear something interesting on Michigan Public Radio, though.... Our state tax returns don't ask for the gender(s) of the filers. It only asks for the filers' FEDERAL filing status and requires the state filers to file the same way.
NOW we've got a problem. Under NO circumstances will I file a joint tax return to the State of Michigan while they are refusing to recognize my marriage. But the current forms are VERY clear about filing status.
I wonder how THAT little hate-based dilemma will be resolved.... It's going to KILL the Republicans in Lansing to even THINK about this problem. And I'm going to LOVE IT!!
Yeah, after next year I'll have to do the taxes for both of us. Right now he uses someone else due to his business interests. I don't want the bother right now, but once he is retired (next year) I will do them for both of us, beginning in 2016.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#20 Aug 30, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I'm not a tax *attorney*, but I am a tax accountant. I've done beaucoup research into these issues specifically because of the inequity of it all.
But you know, the funny thing is, whenever there's an inequity forced upon a disfavored minority, there are always little consolation prizes hidden in the muck. In our case, it's the fact that we pay FAR less tax filing separately than we would jointly. And it's 110% legal.
Remember a few years ago when the Republicans we all congratulating themselves with lots of back slapping and big smiles about how they "did away with the marriage penalty" in the tax code??? TOTAL LIE!! They changed the tax tables so that *some* married couples pay the same taxes as if they were filing as singly, but not all of them. Most married couples still fall into categories that make them end up paying more taxes than they would filing as individuals.
And I'm okay with that, actually. Married couples get HUGE benefits from the government. I have no argument against married couples paying a tax premium for those benefits. But that's where the unintended silver lining comes in for married gay couples that live in states that don't recognize our marriage. Most of us get substantial tax breaks because of it.
Would I be happy paying the extra taxes if the state would recognize my marriage??? Absolutely!! No problem. But until they do, I'm going to enjoy the tax breaks that come along with it.
I am a CPA (keep my credentials up, even tho retired), and I worked for over 40 years involved with my company's taxes. And I kept up on individual taxes at the same time. I keep telling people to learn the tax code in order to sock away tax deferred or sheltered money, but no one wants to take the time to do so. And the sad thing is, it isn't hard to do if you can keep awake while reading it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 2 min Pietro Armando 54,848
3 states, plaintiffs want Supreme Court to hear... 5 min WeTheSheeple 3
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 5 min Mr Cro Pockets 1,037
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 14 min Wondering 393
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 15 min The_Box 3,001
Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense 16 min Wondering 92
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 23 min Frankie Rizzo 526
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••