How to Declare War on the New HIV Epi...

How to Declare War on the New HIV Epidemic

There are 700 comments on the www.poz.com story from Jul 15, 2013, titled How to Declare War on the New HIV Epidemic. In it, www.poz.com reports that:

The AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power marched through cheering crowds at the historic New York City Pride Parade on June 30, 2013, to declare an HIV prevention emergency that threatens the health of the young queer community.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.poz.com.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#534 Jul 22, 2013
Pagan and Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Actually no, it's not accepted in any College research paper or any other source other than as a general "idea" of what's being talked about. There have been serious "troll wars" on Wiki, where numerous articles are being changed and then "corrected" by right wing and fringe lunatics, there have even been articles about it.
The only decent "source" in the entire website is the footnotes on the subject page.
I don't accept Wiki answers any more than I accept, "yeah well my Momma said," answers.
It's all about the footnotes; but that is always the case.

Wiki-wars don't last long. The MODS shut them down. Also, now, changes to a wiki page are "provisional" until evaluated by MODS.

Wiki just needs more competent volunteers to train-up and serve as MODS.

Not everything CAN be politicized, and most remains within the sphere of the to-the-death struggles of academic thought and debate.

<smirk>

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#535 Jul 22, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
When people talk about pies, I always think of "sweeney todd" But then, I'm not a dessert person.
<quoted text>
I've spent a lot of time in England and they put EVERYTHING into pies, in fact, I'm sure that pies were mostly full on meals instead of desserts in other days. I could live on Cornish pasties alone. Oh, my, are those GOOD! Steak and mushroom sauce, or whatever you can think of. Yum.

Palm Springs, California

#536 Jul 22, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Ironically, japanese cinema often uses "peach" as a reference to female genitals, especially young girls'.
<quoted text>
Oh, great, now you've put ME off peaches!

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#537 Jul 22, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Good. Think bout it constantly. Think about it until you can no longer eat or sleep. Wither away, a victim of your own hatred and stupidity.
<quoted text>
I thought it was interesting, his use of the word Sodomites...Is that story in the Koran or did our little troll finally mess up and show that he's not who he says he is....

Location hidden

#540 Jul 22, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The Quran has its own version of several bits of Genesis, Adam & Hawwaa, Qabil & Habil, Nuh and of course Ibrahim. Their version of Lut can be found in Surah 15:
http://www.masjidtucson.org/quran/noframes/ch...
Lut comes into the picture into and out of the picture in verses 51-85.
Other short versions can be found elsewhere,
7:80-85 and 26:165-174 where the sin of the Sodomites is pretty clearly said to be male on male action.
That demonstrates that at least one of the sources of the Qurannic version may a splinter sect of Judaism that fled southeastward from the Roman legions.

Location hidden

#541 Jul 22, 2013
AIDS Smarts wrote:
The CDC Director struck back!
(1) 2% of USA is homosx
(2) 61% of AIDS is homosx
Day...
Yum
You're misreading the data.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#543 Jul 22, 2013
snyper wrote:
That demonstrates that at least one of the sources of the Qurannic version may a splinter sect of Judaism that fled southeastward from the Roman legions.
The Qur'an was written in the first half of the 7th Century and contains bits and pieces of both Judaism and Christianity, it also contains a lot of bits and pieces of the existing Arabic cults that continued to exist in the region. The Romans were long gone, this side of the world was dominated by the Byzantines and Orthodox Christianity was the order of the day. While there was no longer a "Jewish" state anywhere in the mix, there were still plenty of them around to learn from. If you look at history, the Arab peoples have been some of the most perpetually dominated groups in history. They were conquered by every group that ever showed up in the region. The Qur'an was written under the influences of everyone who had ever lived in the neighborhood at any point and by someone holding a grudge against most of them.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#544 Jul 22, 2013
Pies used to be meals; they were also a means of preservation. Savory pies are delicious, and make it easy to cook with cheap cuts of meat!
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>I've spent a lot of time in England and they put EVERYTHING into pies, in fact, I'm sure that pies were mostly full on meals instead of desserts in other days. I could live on Cornish pasties alone. Oh, my, are those GOOD! Steak and mushroom sauce, or whatever you can think of. Yum.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#545 Jul 22, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The Qur'an was written in the first half of the 7th Century and contains bits and pieces of both Judaism and Christianity, it also contains a lot of bits and pieces of the existing Arabic cults that continued to exist in the region. The Romans were long gone, this side of the world was dominated by the Byzantines and Orthodox Christianity was the order of the day. While there was no longer a "Jewish" state anywhere in the mix, there were still plenty of them around to learn from. If you look at history, the Arab peoples have been some of the most perpetually dominated groups in history. They were conquered by every group that ever showed up in the region. The Qur'an was written under the influences of everyone who had ever lived in the neighborhood at any point and by someone holding a grudge against most of them.
Good post. I think you are right about the 7th century but there actually were Jewish states outside of Israel-Palestine both before and afterwards: a couple in Ethiopia during the time of the late Roman Empire and the Khazars in Caucasia from the 8th through the 11th centuries.
steamer

London, UK

#547 Jul 22, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The Qur'an was written in the first half of the 7th Century and contains bits and pieces of both Judaism and Christianity, it also contains a lot of bits and pieces of the existing Arabic cults that continued to exist in the region. The Romans were long gone, this side of the world was dominated by the Byzantines and Orthodox Christianity was the order of the day. While there was no longer a "Jewish" state anywhere in the mix, there were still plenty of them around to learn from. If you look at history, the Arab peoples have been some of the most perpetually dominated groups in history. They were conquered by every group that ever showed up in the region. The Qur'an was written under the influences of everyone who had ever lived in the neighborhood at any point and by someone holding a grudge against most of them.
one must not be surprised to see the similarities between islam and christianity judaism as the quran clearly states it's to correct the existing books and the continuation of the correct version of what God intended to send not what the rabbis and priests wrote down to benefit themselves to make the people believe in them rather than God the greater of heaven and earth the rabbis and priest gave them selves the authority to be little gods that's why the quran was send down to lead people to the original message

Location hidden

#548 Jul 22, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
Rick, sorry, but neither the Western nor Eastern Romans extended their hegemony into the Arabian peninsula. At the time of the first sack of Jerusalem, many fled eastward across the Jordan, and moved along trade routes, even creating new ones. At the time that Mohammad was a boy, there were several sects of Judaism living in his home town, and still others in other locations around. Medina had a community descended from the remnant followers of John the Baptist. Mecca had three variants of Phariseeism, and not a few Cohenim, though most of those traveled northeast, settling around the Black Sea and further north. Around Mecca, there were remnants of Ebionites and Nasoreans, most of whom had incorporated gnosticism from contact with surrounding cultures by that time.

Location hidden

#549 Jul 22, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post. I think you are right about the 7th century but there actually were Jewish states outside of Israel-Palestine both before and afterwards: a couple in Ethiopia during the time of the late Roman Empire and the Khazars in Caucasia from the 8th through the 11th centuries.
Earlier. Remember, without a country, they followed trade.

Location hidden

#550 Jul 22, 2013
It's surprising that you know of the Khazarim.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#553 Jul 23, 2013
MARIAN wrote:
bullshit ....
Reported for abuse (spamming of quack products).

“I will not go quietly.”

Indianapolis Indiana

#556 Jul 23, 2013
Jiggz29 wrote:
The best why to declare war is to acknowledge that there are many problems when trying to stop the infection of HIV. HIV once was a gay decease and then it because just a decease any one could get from all ethnic backgrounds . Today HIV is now a black decease and way is that? Because our Community leaders do not see it as a epidemic within our communities the spread of HIV is largely due to have sexual sex not homosexual sex today within the African American community.
It's not that people are not using condoms is that people are not coming forth and being honest about their status. Many young man get lock up and then spend a couple years in prison come out with HIV and will not revile their status to their partner.
This is why I'm in favor of a list people infected with HIV should have to register. The CDC I believe hear in Atlanta has a list. I've heard stories of people who were infected in the CDC coming to their homes in making them register on a list. Now if there is a list I believe it should be available to the general public.
Actually it's just the opposite, people refusing to use condoms, and internalized homophobia, refusing to admit that one is gay or bisexual.(the only time HIV/AIDS has been considered a "gay disease" was back when it was first discovered in the US, it was discovered among gay and bisexual men first).
There is no need for a List, the need is for people to get the message, use condoms Every Single Time, and get tested.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#558 Jul 23, 2013
Jiggz29 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a need fir a list and Maybe if people were honest about the status they would be no need for a list but people are not so therefore there's a needs to fir a list theres a list for pedophiles so you can keep your children away from them, when you have people who are purposely spreading their disease thats a reason for a list that type of attitude is the exact reason why the African-American community has soaring HIV rates. The list is not to humiliate or ostracize people with HIV it's a preventative measure. We have epidemic within our community the only way to eradicate this plague. It's that serious!!!
So would you suggest that this list be posted in bars and on-line hook-up sites? Check your partner's id and check the list before proceeding to the next step?

Better plan is just stay safe. Keep in mind 20-30% of HIV+ people have never been diagnosed.

You're actually far more likely to be infected by this significant fraction of untreated carriers than by someone who has been diagnosed and is undergoing effective antiviral treatment.

“I will not go quietly.”

Indianapolis Indiana

#560 Jul 23, 2013
Jiggz29 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a need fir a list and Maybe if people were honest about the status they would be no need for a list but people are not so therefore there's a needs to fir a list theres a list for pedophiles so you can keep your children away from them, when you have people who are purposely spreading their disease thats a reason for a list that type of attitude is the exact reason why the African-American community has soaring HIV rates. The list is not to humiliate or ostracize people with HIV it's a preventative measure. We have epidemic within our community the only way to eradicate this plague. It's that serious!!!
There's no need for a list. People lie. That's not a new concept. Treat everyone as though they are Poz. Few if any are actually out there to intentionally spread the disease and the most quick and sure way to stop them? Not with a List. Treat everyone as though they are positive. You decide to make a baby, go get tested, which should be part of it in any circumstance. What you don't seem to realize, there are numerous people, who are positive, that have been run out of town, ostracized, kicked out of school, fired and numerous other things all because someone found out their status. You want a real good reason why your "list" isn't a good Idea, try looking up everything that happened to Ryan White.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#561 Jul 23, 2013
Medical history and status are protected by HIPAA and many other laws. The other list you refer to is not about pedophiles, but child molesters--which is public knowledge because they broke the law and were convicted. Many pedophiles never touch children and you have no right to know who they are.

The first rule of safe sex is that YOU are responsible for your own health. If your partner won't use safe sex techniques, it's your job to refuse to have sex until they do.

HIV+ people are being ostracized and harassed without such a list; do you really think the list won't increase the problem.
Jiggz29 wrote:
<quoted text>

Palm Springs, California

#563 Jul 23, 2013
Texas Flood wrote:
<quoted text>
hideous racist rant.
bye bye.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#564 Jul 23, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
Various groups of Jews had emigrated all throughout the Mediterranean, North Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia and further from the beginnings of the faith. They, like most of the other groups in the region, were a nomadic group, that rarely had ownership of where they were. Even when they finally did stake out a land claim in the neighborhood and tried the non-nomadic lifestyle, they rarely kept it for long. What really sets them apart from their neighbors really isn't the just one God they believed in and the quirky habits they developed to serve Him, but the fact they were writing all this stuff down and taking it with them where ever they went. It's the reason why it survived almost every where they went and was still around for Mohammed to learn centuries later.

Christianity was a belief system suited primarily for people who aren't planning on going anywhere as a group, at least not willingly. Christianity became centered around a church, a hopefully permanent place of learning and worship, the reason for this is that it first existed only as an oral tradition, it is only after it had spread that way did they start picking up Gospels, Epistles and dozens upon dozens of other musings by Christians that started popping up everywhere with wildly varying beliefs as to what they were doing. The one thing they had in common was a shared Jewish basis, using Adam & Eve, Cain & Able, Noah, Abraham, Moses and the 10 Commandments, with bits and pieces of stories in the Talmud, like Daniel and Jonah. These were stories already familiar to them because of living around the Jewish folk and their books.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Churches threaten to dismiss staff who wed same... 7 min Paco 3
News Imam Who Compared Gays To Pedophiles After Orla... 9 min TomInElPaso 3
big boss man 9 min Paco 2
News Pride in local LGBT progress: Some of Metro Van... 9 min Western Canuck 20
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 14 min Rose_NoHo 8,407
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 14 min Beatnick 53,721
News Patrick's Cabaret settles antigay discriminatio... 23 min Rev Cash Dollar 10
News Teen weighs impact of joining school gay-straig... 11 hr The Troll Stopper 7
More from around the web