Waiter not tipped because he is gay

Oct 27, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WPTV Local News

The server found a message written on a credit card receipt telling him he would get no tip, because he is gay.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 47 of47
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure at the federal and state level and many local levels that one cannot refuse service or housing to someone because they are black, Jewish, female, old, disabled, etc. so while it may be best to start at the local level and also a local issue and every local step is a step further toward equality it would also be a federal and state issue as well. Eventually it would have to go through the courts and federal government because otherwise it will take decades to win equality for LGBT in every town, city, and county (I believe the courts and Congress was the way to equality for blacks and women otherwise they'd have to wait another 20 years.). I'm sure if ENDA passes it will pave a way much faster to equality in housing and public accommodations.
I believe protections in housing and public accommodation at the local level were the building blocks for protections at the State and Federal level.

The basic protections for race, color, creed, religion and national origin were the standard groups listed throughout the nation, though in most cases race and skin color were added to existing laws that protected against discrimination based on religion, and national origin. You're too young to remember but when race, sex or disability was added I never heard people complain that these groups were piggy backing off the civil rights work of others, like we hear so often nowadays. Ever hear anyone on Topix complain about how blacks piggy backed off the Irish or Italians or the Catholics and Jews?

I think in this country it was national origin and religion that first sought protection in employment, housing and public accommodation because of xenophobia and antisemitism. Remember in the movie "Auntie Mame" when the Upson's were explaining to Mame how they wanted to buy the lot next door as a wedding gift because in part it wasn't 'restricted' and they wanted to make sure 'the wrong kind' didn't move into the neighborhood?

On a side note I was working for the National Federation of the blind during the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The NFB was very insistent that language be included that would allow the individual the right to refuse special accommodations. They wisely saw that for people with disabilities it would be very easy for them to still face discrimination with public accommodations; all the hotel had to say was, "sorry we don't have anymore 'handicapped rooms' available". One can very easily see that it's easy to change 'handicapped room' to 'room for coloreds'.

I think we are close to the point where there will be national laws that cover discrimination in the areas of employment, housing and public accommodations, partly due to what we in the GLBT community accomplish. But I think what will really tip the balance is the current effort by the religious right to use religion as justification for practicing discrimination. Once people see the absurdity of claiming religious freedom as a means to practice religious discrimination, the idea of equal treatment will finally crystal clear to us as a nation.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2013

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I believe protections in housing and public accommodation at the local level were the building blocks for protections at the State and Federal level.
The basic protections for race, color, creed, religion and national origin were the standard groups listed throughout the nation, though in most cases race and skin color were added to existing laws that protected against discrimination based on religion, and national origin. You're too young to remember but when race, sex or disability was added I never heard people complain that these groups were piggy backing off the civil rights work of others, like we hear so often nowadays. Ever hear anyone on Topix complain about how blacks piggy backed off the Irish or Italians or the Catholics and Jews?
I think in this country it was national origin and religion that first sought protection in employment, housing and public accommodation because of xenophobia and antisemitism. Remember in the movie "Auntie Mame" when the Upson's were explaining to Mame how they wanted to buy the lot next door as a wedding gift because in part it wasn't 'restricted' and they wanted to make sure 'the wrong kind' didn't move into the neighborhood?
On a side note I was working for the National Federation of the blind during the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The NFB was very insistent that language be included that would allow the individual the right to refuse special accommodations. They wisely saw that for people with disabilities it would be very easy for them to still face discrimination with public accommodations; all the hotel had to say was, "sorry we don't have anymore 'handicapped rooms' available". One can very easily see that it's easy to change 'handicapped room' to 'room for coloreds'.
I think we are close to the point where there will be national laws that cover discrimination in the areas of employment, housing and public accommodations, partly due to what we in the GLBT community accomplish. But I think what will really tip the balance is the current effort by the religious right to use religion as justification for practicing discrimination. Once people see the absurdity of claiming religious freedom as a means to practice religious discrimination, the idea of equal treatment will finally crystal clear to us as a nation.
I've only heard of gays being accused of civil rights piggy backing and that is because those people hate us gays and don't want us to be included under the word civil rights nor do they want us to have civil rights and some of those who have achieved civil rights don't want to believe that there are other minorities besides them that face discrimination. And no I've never heard of blacks being accused of piggy backing off the Irish or Italians or the Catholics and Jews or even Native Americans.

I don't remember that part of the movie Aunt Mame but I did see the movie a few years ago.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2013

equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've only heard of gays being accused of civil rights piggy backing and that is because those people hate us gays and don't want us to be included under the word civil rights nor do they want us to have civil rights and some of those who have achieved civil rights don't want to believe that there are other minorities besides them that face discrimination. And no I've never heard of blacks being accused of piggy backing off the Irish or Italians or the Catholics and Jews or even Native Americans.
I don't remember that part of the movie Aunt Mame but I did see the movie a few years ago.
Well I mentioned those points for two reasons.
1st. Every time you see or hear anyone start in on the piggy-backing B.S. simply start agreeing with them and point out how blacks piggy backed off the Irish and Italians!
(In debate, it's called reduction to the ridiculous)
2nd) Watch the movie again. We should all watch it about 4 times a year IMO (it's simply a great movie).
Caaze

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

Judged:

Don't believe it.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/devin-...

I view it the same way as this, the homosexual waiter probably wrote that stuff after.

And the reason why the media is not bothering to find out who the "customers" were nor how they knew he was gay just shows that they don't want to represent homosexuals in this light yet.

How much money are these donations people are giving him though for him being a "victim"?, lucky bastard should do it more often and then he can go get a nice house.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2013

It happened to a lesbian (well it is said she is lesbian) U.S. Marine waitress in New Jersey recently too.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2013

equalityboy81 wrote:
It happened to a lesbian (well it is said she is lesbian) U.S. Marine waitress in New Jersey recently too.
Go over to the thread about that situation, and read a "Whack-a-doodle" going on and on. The dude is certifiable!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Okay I'll take a look at it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 47 of47
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••