So-Cal drag show draws big names

So-Cal drag show draws big names

There are 56 comments on the www.instantriverside.com story from Oct 7, 2008, titled So-Cal drag show draws big names. In it, www.instantriverside.com reports that:

"I respect drag, and illusionists, a hundred percent. And I don't have anybody in my show who doesn't look like who they're doing." The drag show will bring the likenesses of Cher, Dolly Parton, Bette Midler, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.instantriverside.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
steve

Brownsburg, IN

#43 Feb 28, 2013
i remember tracy adams, vicky laine, natasha edwards, and diana black performing at the club 21 in indy...boy those were the days. vicky laine is alive and well and in bloomington. leslie ryan is alive and well and still performs in indy i believe
Gary

Falmouth, KY

#44 Aug 1, 2013
Has anyone heard of Kerry Dennis?
Ji Gill

Star City, IN

#45 Jan 14, 2014
So glad to hear that as of these post that Tonya Terrel still with us I can remember in the early 80 watching her perform at the the 21 club brought the house down WHAT a PERFORER yrs past her prime and still filling every seat
Robert Dirmeyer

Hampton, VA

#46 Mar 17, 2014
I was a young soldier going to the Defense Information School at nearby Ft. Ben Harrison. I visited The Famous Door a number of times during 71and 72. The star was often a hefty drag comic who was absolutely divine. Does anyone recollect what she might have been called and how she is doing today?

Nice to see people talking about The Door. It did a lot teaching me what the whole gay scene was all about -- and not just drag. Wonderful place, wonderful talent.

A parking lot? Whatta world, whatta world!

Robert
DavidinMS

Covington, LA

#47 Mar 18, 2014
Robert Dirmeyer wrote:
I was a young soldier going to the Defense Information School at nearby Ft. Ben Harrison. I visited The Famous Door a number of times during 71and 72. The star was often a hefty drag comic who was absolutely divine. Does anyone recollect what she might have been called and how she is doing today?
Nice to see people talking about The Door. It did a lot teaching me what the whole gay scene was all about -- and not just drag. Wonderful place, wonderful talent.
A parking lot? Whatta world, whatta world!
Robert
Hi, Robert,
I can so relate to what you are saying about The Famous Door. It was during that same time ('71-'72, or so) that I visited "the Door" often. I too learned a lot about the gay scene as I was new to it. Met a lot of great people who helped me overcome many preconceptions.
I wonder if the "hefty drag comic" might have been Robie Landers??? Anyway, great to see your comment, Robert. I can so relate.
DavidinMS

Covington, LA

#48 Mar 18, 2014
Toni Warren wrote:
<quoted text>How nice of you to remember me! Thank you so very much! I know - the Famous Door is now a parking lot; they've even taken out the cement slab from the sidewalk that we all wrote our names in the fresh cement the day the laid it! I also noticed Bette K Club (1809)North Central has been long gone, but the entry way to the parking lot is still there. A house stands where Bette's did, but the iron post base is still in the front yard. Wonder if the tenants have visits from the spirits of Kris Kross, Terri Paige, Bess Anderson, Audrey Brien, Jackie Knight and Tracy Adams? Wonder if they even know what used to be there BEFORE their house was built? Who knows?
Toni Warren, how are you doing???
Toni Warren

Indianapolis, IN

#49 Apr 12, 2014
DavidinMS wrote:
<quoted text>
Toni Warren, how are you doing???
I'm fine; I'm getting ready to retire. My fingers can process words no more no matter what version of Word Microsoft comes up with!! LOL!
I hope you're doing well. So many folks on here remembering us and wishing us all well is so nice. Again, we all loved entertaining each and every one of you. Please do not forget that!
Heavenly

United States

#51 Sep 13, 2014
Awesome... yeah those days were fun, I was just a kid back when... looking in... Those images of the Famous Door & all of Indy's entertainer hold a special place in my heart. really good to see ya, Toni & Ruth... Heavenly
Barbara Halston

United States

#52 Apr 20, 2015
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Toni! I do remember you as well. I am sorry to hear so many are gone. It sounds like you are doing well for yourself. I wish there was a way to post some of the old pictures from the famous door. You can certainly be proud of the work you and the others did. It really was a great.
Hello, I am Barbara Halston. In the 1980's &1990's, I was the Dolly Parton "look-alike" in Indianapolis. I was thrilled to see the postings from Toni Warren. Yes, we have sadly lost many, many amazing entertainers. Yet some others are still with us, like Lenora Talkie and Monica Dane. I have endured terrible health problems related to diabetes and cardiac issues but (thank you, Jesus) I am still here! Also Zamora Peters is well and living in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Toni warren, I hope you are well. I would love to hear from you. Best wishes to everyone in Indy who recall the Ruins, Gravel Girtie's, the Hunt & Chase and Talbot Street. Hugs & Kisses from Barbara Halston
Morgan

Houston, TX

#53 Jun 21, 2015
ruth dix wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Toni Ruth here Still Alive
What happen to jackie knight?
Morgan

Houston, TX

#54 Jun 21, 2015
Clay wrote:
This thread is SICK !!!
And you people want to be accepted by society?
No one ask you to read it, you must have been interested to read each word
Morgan

Houston, TX

#55 Jun 21, 2015
Ji Gill wrote:
So glad to hear that as of these post that Tonya Terrel still with us I can remember in the early 80 watching her perform at the the 21 club brought the house down WHAT a PERFORER yrs past her prime and still filling every seat
She was wonderful
jay smith

Louisville, KY

#56 Oct 29, 2016
Toni Warren wrote:
<quoted text> I want to thank you for noticing that not all the stars were "divas"; some of us enjoyed handing down the knowledge that was handed down to us! Please let me know how Miss Russell and Roxanne passed.
hey toni, this jay from louisville kentucy remember Ronnie and jay what happened to miss Russell?. take care and be safe
Tag

Garden City, MI

#57 Dec 4, 2017
Toni Warren wrote:
<quoted text>How nice of you to remember me! Thank you so very much! I know - the Famous Door is now a parking lot; they've even taken out the cement slab from the sidewalk that we all wrote our names in the fresh cement the day the laid it! I also noticed Bette K Club (1809)North Central has been long gone, but the entry way to the parking lot is still there. A house stands where Bette's did, but the iron post base is still in the front yard. Wonder if the tenants have visits from the spirits of Kris Kross, Terri Paige, Bess Anderson, Audrey Brien, Jackie Knight and Tracy Adams? Wonder if they even know what used to be there BEFORE their house was built? Who knows?
I had the pleasure and honor(although I didn't know it then) of being on stage with tracy when I was a child at betty k's or maybe 4th world (same bar) only part I remember was at the end hugging tracy and saying "I love you mommy" betty was my grandmother
Dhart

United States

#58 Feb 26, 2018
Clay wrote:
This thread is SICK !!!

And you people want to be accepted by society?
Then don't get on here
DavidinMS

Ponchatoula, LA

#59 Feb 26, 2018
Tony Warren, are you still with us?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 46 min NE Jade 27,994
News Kansas teacher moves after receiving threats fo... 51 min NE Jade 28
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr Wondering 60,837
News School textbook with gay maths problem go viral 2 hr Wondering 10
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 hr dollarsbill 19,229
News California Lawmakers Move to Limit Gay Conversi... 8 hr Frankie Rizzo 7
News Lesbian mum told baby won't be legally register... 11 hr Murphy 1
News 'Roseanne' Star Recalls Fight to Air Controvers... Apr 20 Frankie Rizzo 103