God, the Gospel, and the Gay Challeng...

God, the Gospel, and the Gay Challenge -- A Response to Matthew Vines

There are 382 comments on the WFIA-AM Louisville story from Apr 23, 2014, titled God, the Gospel, and the Gay Challenge -- A Response to Matthew Vines. In it, WFIA-AM Louisville reports that:

Evangelical Christians in the United States now face an inevitable moment of decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFIA-AM Louisville.

Redneckcasanova

Paragould, AR

#45 Apr 24, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>A theory can certainly be disproven, or shown to be wrong, but even when they are borne out by the evidence, this is far from a "proof". They simply become the best CURRENT explanation of a phenomenon. Future evidence may come along and disprove what we thought we knew.

Scientists once thought that the universe and the Earth were MUCH younger than they are. This was simply based on the best evidence they had available to them. They weren't doing anything "wrong", per se, they just didn't have all the evidence they needed to make more accurate estimates. Then, along came radio waves (well, along came our discovery of them, anyway) and now we're getting it much closer. We have to be open to the likelihood that MORE evidence will come along someday, which could tweak our estimates even more, or possibly turn them on their head.

Very little is actually "proven" in science (though "disproof" is much easier). We can only really say that we have it as close as we can get it.

Latter Day Faints wrote, "In math these days the notion of "proof" is much different, far less ironclad, than in beginning geometry class, by the way."

As aces as I was in geometry class (back in the '80s), I shudder to think how I'd perform in math classes today. I'm very excited about the discoveries that tomorrow's physicists and astronomers are going to make.
You have stated that scientific theory's are "FACT" then how can they be changed. Scientific theory's are not fact at all they are the best guess possible made from the study of the evidence available. I will say it's a highly educated guess and not just a wild fantasy. But it's still far from fact

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#46 Apr 24, 2014
Latter Day Faints wrote:
<quoted text>
Disproving things and proving things is definitely part of the scientific method.
In math these days the notion of "proof" is much different, far less ironclad, than in beginning geometry class, by the way.
The purest application of the Scientific Method is to DISPROVE hypotheses.
Latter Day Faints

Philadelphia, PA

#48 Apr 24, 2014
Redneckcasanova wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah more civilized? The further this country gets from God the worse the crime gets! If you call murder and rape and hate crimes civilized then I feel sorry for you!
Crime rates have been going down overall for several decades in the US, Cletus.
Latter Day Faints

Philadelphia, PA

#49 Apr 24, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
The purest application of the Scientific Method is to DISPROVE hypotheses.
That adds nothing to the discussion I was engaged in with the other poster.

It is obvious that "proving" things has much to do with a lot of research.

It is well known that "proof" in modern mathematics is far less certain than in the hard, life sciences, for example.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#50 Apr 24, 2014
Latter Day Faints wrote:
<quoted text>
That adds nothing to the discussion I was engaged in with the other poster.
It is obvious that "proving" things has much to do with a lot of research.
It is well known that "proof" in modern mathematics is far less certain than in the hard, life sciences, for example.
Technically, "proof" in a pure sense is impossible.

Ogham's Razor is the best we can do.
Latter Day Faints

Philadelphia, PA

#51 Apr 24, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Ogham's Razor is the best we can do.
We could spell it correctly and do better in that sense. But your comment wouldn't make sense even if the word were right.

Also, you're wrong about "proof" as my commonsense example showed. It does depend on context, however.
joe joe

United States

#52 Apr 24, 2014
I thought this would be a serious discussion . It just a thread of a couple of guys sucking eachothers dick.
Redneckcasanova

Paragould, AR

#53 Apr 24, 2014
Latter Day Faints wrote:
<quoted text>Crime rates have been going down overall for several decades in the US, Cletus.
It's funny you look up crime rates over all and yeah they got graphs and every thing to show crime rates are going down. But you look up for any major city the crime rates are going up. You look up 75% of the towns in the U.S. And crime is going up. So now how is that possible?
Latter Day Faints

Philadelphia, PA

#54 Apr 24, 2014
joe joe wrote:
I thought this would be a serious discussion . It just a thread of a couple of guys sucking eachothers dick.
So may expect additional contributions here from you, in other words?
Latter Day Faints

Philadelphia, PA

#55 Apr 24, 2014
Redneckcasanova wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny you look up crime rates over all and yeah they got graphs and every thing to show crime rates are going down. But you look up for any major city the crime rates are going up. You look up 75% of the towns in the U.S. And crime is going up. So now how is that possible?
Because you don't do data, particularly over time. That's how that's possible.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#56 Apr 25, 2014
Xstain Mullah Franchisee wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that the verse condemning divorce,[name calling snipped]
A true follower of Jesus can neither divorce someone,(a) "So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man put asunder"(Matt. 19:6, Mark 10:9), nor marry someone who is divorced,(b) "whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery" (Matt. 5:32, 19:9, Luke 16:18). There is an exception to the former, however. If the spouse commits adultery, divorce is permissible: "Whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery" (Matt. 5:32). The Bible also says that anyone who obtains a divorce and marries another is an adulterer: "...whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her" (Mark 10:11, Luke 16:18), which applies to women as well--Mark 10:12. In essence, according to Christ's teachings:
•(1) one can never obtain a divorce, except from an adulterous spouse;
•(2) one can never marry a divorced person, and
•(3) one who obtains a divorce and marries another is committing adultery.

One can only guess at the number of Christians who have ignored these maxims.

George Barna, president and founder of Barna Research Group, commented: "While it may be alarming to discover that born again Christians are more likely than others to experience a divorce, that pattern has been in place for quite some time. Even more disturbing, perhaps, is that when those individuals experience a divorce many of them feel their community of faith provides rejection rather than support and healing. But the research also raises questions regarding the effectiveness of how churches minister to families. The ultimate responsibility for a marriage belongs to the husband and wife, but the high incidence of divorce within the Christian community challenges the idea that churches provide truly practical and life-changing support for marriages."

Divorce Rate Statistics of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Marriages

Various studies on US rate of divorce show significant differences when a comparison is made in 1st, 2nd and 3rd marriage breakups in America. The marriage breakup rate in America for first marriage is 41% to 50%; the rate after second marriage is from 60% to 67% and the rate in America for 3rd marriage are from 73% to 74%. Reports also say that couples with children have a slightly lower rate of breakup as compared to couples without children. This is due to the fact that being childless is one of the prime causes behind divorce in America. Also, the children of divorced parents are prone to divorcing 4 times more than the children of couples who are not divorced.

Location hidden

#57 Apr 25, 2014
david traversa wrote:
No child is born with an idea of " God " .. it's drilled into them by the stupidity and mental laziness of those around them ; especially in the suffocating, lethal climate of the traditional family and the traditional church gathering ..
Nicely said. We are all born Atheists.

Location hidden

#58 Apr 25, 2014
ERIC CARTMAN wrote:
People will believe in whatever they choose to believe. Even the big bang is a theory. Its An opinion. Not a fact.but a belief. which also takes faith in.
Christianity is an abomination, it is a crime against humanity. Nothing fails like prayer.

Current attempts to put prayer into schools run directly counter to biblical teachings. In one of his comments on the manner in which one should pray, Jesus said prayer should be a private affair devoid of public display: "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room (or closet) and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret...." (Matt. 6:5-6 RSV). Biblicists violate this on a regular basis and have no intention of correcting their behavior.

It's interesting to note that Paul's maxim that men should pray with their heads uncovered is generally followed because removing one's hat isn't particularly inconvenient. It is easy to follow. "Any man who prays or prophecies with his head covered dishonors his head,...."(1 Cor. 11:4 RSV). On the other hand, Paul's tenet that women must keep their heads covered with a veil during prayer is quite inconvenient and, for this reason, has either been rationalized away or ignored, although it is no less binding than any other moral law in the New Testament: "...but any woman who prays or prophecies with her head unveiled dishonors her head.... For if a woman will not veil herself, then we should cut off her hair: but if it be disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil.... Judge for yourself; is it proper for a woman to pray to God with head uncovered?" (1 Cor. 11:5-13 RSV)?

Location hidden

#59 Apr 25, 2014
snyper wrote:
The way to "obey Christ" is to "obey Christ" according to your own best lights ... NOT to force others to do so.
To attempt to do so is the behavior of totalitarians, pharisees, and the Inquisition.
No one is going to obey Christ. NEVER HAPPEN!

First, a true follower of Jesus would have to be extremely poor--as poor as the proverbial church mouse. The Bible makes this quite clear:

"...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" Luke 14:33
"If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" Matt. 19:21
"Sell your possessions and give alms" Luke 12:33
"But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" Luke 11:41
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Matt. 6:19-21
"How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" Mark 10:23
"Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" Matt. 19:23-24
A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21

It would be a miracle to find a Christian willing to obey Jesus.

JESUS: John 14:15 KJV, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

Clearly, on the earth there is not a single Christian who loves Jesus.

Location hidden

#60 Apr 25, 2014
Front Line FIghter wrote:
<quoted text>
You are quite wrong about no child being born with an idea of God. Check out the story of Akiane Kramarik: http://www.examiner.com/article/akiane-kramar...
What a load of apologetic bullshit. The whole story is made up by religious nuts like yourself. Everyone is born an Atheist and is brainwashed to be what they are. However the love for a God is so powerful that those who reject religion make Government their God and they worship the Government God ever bit as much as you Loony Tunes do your Monster God of the Bible.

"...shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it?"(Amos 3:6).

Location hidden

#61 Apr 25, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Here!! I can do that, too!! Look!
----------
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
by Lewis Carroll
Chapter 1 - Down the Rabbit-Hole
Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it,`and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice `without pictures or conversation?'
So she was considering in her own mind (as well as she could, for the hot day made her feel very sleepy and stupid), whether the pleasure of making a daisy- chain would be worth the trouble of getting up and picking the daisies, when suddenly a White Rabbit with pink eyes ran close by her.
----------
See?? I can post fictional stuff, too!!
Your fictional stuff was MUCH MUCH MUCH more entertaining that what "Chance" posted form his collection of ancient Jewish puppet plays.

Location hidden

#62 Apr 25, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a terrible faltering of the understanding of science. The word "theory" does not mean the same thing in science that it does in everyday language. Scientific theories are not "opinions", but functional models of the workings of the universe which are borne out by repetitive experimentation, and proven through successful predictions. The Big Bang is in fact, a fact. It doesn't require faith, it requires years of training in physics and higher math. Scientists are not just throwing ideas into a hat and pulling one out to run with. They have evidence-supported reasons for telling us the universe works the way it does.
ERIC CARTMAN has been brainwashed and indoctrinated to deal with facts and evidence like you bring to the discussion, he is to reject them.

ROM. 16:17-18 RSV ("I appeal to you, brethren, to take note of those who created dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by fair and flattering words they deceive the hearts of the simple-minded"),

Eric Cartman is the simple-minded.
SATAN

United States

#64 Apr 25, 2014
In otherwords. Keep up the bad work You all. And I see you soon

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#65 Apr 25, 2014
Latter Day Faints wrote:
Understood in the sense that declared Theories and even Laws can be superceded.
Yet individual studies are concerned with falsifying and verifying, as you know. It is acceptable to use the word "proving" or "proof" in light of this. Koch's postulates "prove" a certain agent causes a certain disease.
In modern mathematics, you example, use of the word "proof" is actually _more_ complicated than in the context of a hard science research study.
I know I'm just being overly technical. You're completely right for all practical purposes. It certainly serves to use the word "proof" in general lay conversation.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#66 Apr 25, 2014
Xstain Mullah Franchisee wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that the verse condemning divorce, you sexually sick, hypocritical bigot?
The first gay couple to marry in Massachusetts, divorced.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 1 min barefoot2626 1,567
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 3 min June VanDerMark 9,707
News N.C., Miss. 'religious freedom' measures hardly... 4 min Ronald 614
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 36 min Jackie 34,188
News The Right Fights Wedding Cake War on Overly Nar... 1 hr Marie-Luise_J 1
News Republican John Boehner calls Ted Cruz 'Lucifer... 1 hr The Real Rainbow ... 9
News Many 'Straight' Men Have Gay Sex (Sep '06) 2 hr Hottie9132 4,397
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 5 hr Ray 10,666
More from around the web