God, the Gospel, and the Gay Challeng...

God, the Gospel, and the Gay Challenge -- A Response to Matthew Vines

There are 381 comments on the WFIA-AM Louisville story from Apr 23, 2014, titled God, the Gospel, and the Gay Challenge -- A Response to Matthew Vines. In it, WFIA-AM Louisville reports that:

Evangelical Christians in the United States now face an inevitable moment of decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFIA-AM Louisville.

First Prev
of 20
Next Last
Chance

Grove City, PA

#1 Apr 23, 2014
2 Peter 2 2 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them¬óbringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell,[a] putting them in chains of darkness[b] to be held for judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; 6 if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7 and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless 8 (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)¬ó 9 if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment. 10 This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the flesh[c] and despise authority.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#2 Apr 23, 2014
Sorry, should say 2 Peter Chapter 2
The Gay Centurions

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Apr 23, 2014
The very fact that GAY people physically exist in real life totally invalidates evangelical fundamentalist superstition in its entirety

So the fundies will have to scrap the crap and start over with a clean sheet of paper if they want to continue fleecing the sheeple in the mind control biz

Since: Nov 13

Dedham, MA

#4 Apr 23, 2014
The Gay Centurions wrote:
The very fact that GAY people physically exist in real life totally invalidates evangelical fundamentalist superstition in its entirety
So the fundies will have to scrap the crap and start over with a clean sheet of paper if they want to continue fleecing the sheeple in the mind control biz
It's funny how you think you're making sense, when you're actually just parroting bits and pieces of things you've been told by your puppet masters.
Xstain Mullah Franchisee

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Apr 23, 2014
Chance wrote:
2 Peter 2 2
Is that the verse condemning divorce, you sexually sick, hypocritical bigot?
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#6 Apr 23, 2014
The trouble being none of this will stand the test of logical scrutiny ( not to mention scientific proof or even probability ).. It hangs purely on faith .. and faith alone is a suspect measuring tool . Where is this all powerful god ? And if he is all-powerful why doesn't he make a general world-wide appereance and erase all doubt forever ? This playing around with people's emotions and well being is not very charitable or intelligent of him .. The answer to the questions is: He can't because he simply doesn't exist .. This so very flawed doctrine was always harmful but perhaps natural when man could not explain the phenomenons of nature other than with his imagination but has no room in our modern, well-informed world .. no more than goblins ,witches, vampires and ghostly apparitions have either .. I'm always amazed how these fantastic beliefs are so stubbornly insisted on .. but they're obviously useful to those who wish to control the gullible and the ignorant .. No child is born with an idea of " God " .. it's drilled into them by the stupidity and mental laziness of those around them ; especially in the suffocating, lethal climate of the traditional family and the traditional church gathering ..
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#7 Apr 23, 2014
" appearance ", sorry ..
ERIC CARTMAN

Federal Way, WA

#8 Apr 23, 2014
People will believe in whatever they choose to believe. Even the big bang is a theory. Its An opinion. Not a fact.but a belief. which also takes faith in.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#10 Apr 24, 2014
The way to "obey Christ" is to "obey Christ" according to your own best lights ... NOT to force others to do so.

To attempt to do so is the behavior of totalitarians, pharisees, and the Inquisition.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 Apr 24, 2014
Oh, and just to paraphrase myself from last year ...

You think the fight's been tough so far?

Our opposition now has Citizens United, McCutcheon and Schuett (Michigan) in their toolboxes.

You think it's been hard? You an't seen nothing yet, baby!

Now it starts to get ugly ... I mean really hideous.

2014-16 is for ALL the marbles.

---------

We simply CAN'T out spend them, and with the Mormon army of young priests, and the fundies having ready-made organizational meetings twice a week and their own TV and radio networks, we will simply HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO get out the bigger vote.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#12 Apr 24, 2014
snyper wrote:
Oh, and just to paraphrase myself from last year ...
You think the fight's been tough so far?
Our opposition now has Citizens United, McCutcheon and Schuett (Michigan) in their toolboxes.
You think it's been hard? You an't seen nothing yet, baby!
Now it starts to get ugly ... I mean really hideous.
2014-16 is for ALL the marbles.
---------
We simply CAN'T out spend them, and with the Mormon army of young priests, and the fundies having ready-made organizational meetings twice a week and their own TV and radio networks, we will simply HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO get out the bigger vote.
I didn't think that a popular vote was the desired path RE: SSM and other potential legislative issues.

TomInElPaso

“Impeach the reality show actor”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#13 Apr 24, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't think that a popular vote was the desired path RE: SSM and other potential legislative issues.
There are literally hundreds of federal judge positions being blocked by the party of No. That can only be stopped at the ballot box. You disable one of the three legs of democracy you own them all.
Latter Day Faints

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Apr 24, 2014
ERIC CARTMAN wrote:
People will believe in whatever they choose to believe. Even the big bang is a theory. Its An opinion. Not a fact.but a belief. which also takes faith in.
No cretin, that is "testable." It might prove to be wholly or partly wrong, but it is "testable."

Unfortunately explaining that concept to some anti rational, talibangelical nitwit is like telling a sliver of moss what the weather report is.
Front Line FIghter

Aliquippa, PA

#16 Apr 24, 2014
david traversa wrote:
The trouble being none of this will stand the test of logical scrutiny ( not to mention scientific proof or even probability ).. It hangs purely on faith .. and faith alone is a suspect measuring tool . Where is this all powerful god ? And if he is all-powerful why doesn't he make a general world-wide appereance and erase all doubt forever ? This playing around with people's emotions and well being is not very charitable or intelligent of him .. The answer to the questions is: He can't because he simply doesn't exist .. This so very flawed doctrine was always harmful but perhaps natural when man could not explain the phenomenons of nature other than with his imagination but has no room in our modern, well-informed world .. no more than goblins ,witches, vampires and ghostly apparitions have either .. I'm always amazed how these fantastic beliefs are so stubbornly insisted on .. but they're obviously useful to those who wish to control the gullible and the ignorant .. No child is born with an idea of " God " .. it's drilled into them by the stupidity and mental laziness of those around them ; especially in the suffocating, lethal climate of the traditional family and the traditional church gathering ..
You are quite wrong about no child being born with an idea of God. Check out the story of Akiane Kramarik: http://www.examiner.com/article/akiane-kramar...

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#17 Apr 24, 2014
Chance wrote:
2 Peter 2 2 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you.....
Here!! I can do that, too!! Look!

----------
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
by Lewis Carroll

Chapter 1 - Down the Rabbit-Hole

Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it,`and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice `without pictures or conversation?'

So she was considering in her own mind (as well as she could, for the hot day made her feel very sleepy and stupid), whether the pleasure of making a daisy- chain would be worth the trouble of getting up and picking the daisies, when suddenly a White Rabbit with pink eyes ran close by her.
----------

See?? I can post fictional stuff, too!!

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#18 Apr 24, 2014
Front Line FIghter wrote:
<quoted text>
You are quite wrong about no child being born with an idea of God. Check out the story of Akiane Kramarik: http://www.examiner.com/article/akiane-kramar...
First off, that story isn't even a little bit convincing. It's not even unique. MANY children exhibit this type of behaviour, especially ones that haven't had their creativity squelched by narrow-minded parents. But proof of God?? Not even close. There are dozens of possible explanations other than "God did it".

Just because she was home-schooled and they didn't have a TV there's still no reason to believe that outside influences weren't at play. Somehow, she was aware of the English words for "God" and "Heaven" and "angels" and such. How did she know to use those words if they had not been introduced to her somehow? God? Really?

There's also other equally plausible and untestable explanations as to why children do this. Past life memories still being close to the surface in young children and clairvoyance or psychic phenomena are just two of them. And they're both as provable and testable as "god did it" is.

And, guess what else??? You'd better hope it's not true if you want to continue to believe that gay people are the enemies of God. When I was 3-1/2 years old, I freaked out the Catholic family down the street when they were babysitting my brother and I by telling them in vivid detail, including unbelievably accurate descriptions, of how I used to speak Latin and wear black robes and lived in a huge stone building and spent my days copying Latin transcripts with a pen and a bottle of ink from a huge book onto big pieces of paper. It quickly became neighborhood and family lore and the Catholics refused to ever allow me into their house again. It was bad enough that we were Atheists, now I was channeling a past life???? There was much pant-crapping over THAT incident!!

Where, at 3-1/2 years old, when I could barely speak clear English, I was able to come up with all that detail and describe events that would NEVER had come up in casual conversation among Atheists with a three-year-old??? Who knows?? But it definitely happened! I have no memory of it, but there are at least six witnesses to it that do.

So if your Akiane story is accurate, and it WAS your God talking through her, then 110% homosexual ME is ALSO a vessel of communication from the Lord.

How awesome is that??? So much for "God Hates Fags", huh??
Latter Day Faints

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Apr 24, 2014
Front Line FIghter wrote:
<quoted text>
You are quite wrong about no child being born with an idea of God
Most of you freeeks think the earth is under 10000 years old. You don't have the slightest understanding of what is evidence and what is wish fulfillment via anecdote.

Go equally rail against "unrepentant sinners" who covet or who take the lawd's name in vain. Then we'll know you aren't just expressing a psychosexual problem of yours here in the lgbt threads for day after day.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#20 Apr 24, 2014
The Evangelicals are not at the crossroads, they passed those crossroads several decades ago -- when the sexual revolution started in the 60s and they accepted it. Why did mainstream evangelicals not speak out when young people started to have premarital sex, or live together? Yes, there were a couple of isolated voices here and there, but as a whole their society has accepted it as quite normal that single people will 'date'. There are no protests or boycotts of movie theaters that show movies of single people cohabiting. Why not?? Isn't the Bible just as clear about 'fornication' as it is about homosexuality?!

So, NO, the marriage equality issue of our time is not about to "overthrow two millennia of Christian moral wisdom and biblical understanding." The truth is that many christians, evangelicals included, have always shown themselves to be hypocrites, picking and choosing only what suits them. They are not about to take a stand on ALL Biblical injunctions when it will cost them loss of jobs, money, and social standing. As always before, they will make a lot of noise but no real sacrifice. In the end, only a few isolated die-hards will persist in believing that the Earth is flat. The rest will come around to recognizing how much progress humankind is making in understanding itself and turning this world into a more civilized place for everyone.

“A long time ago”

Since: Nov 09

in a galaxy far, far away....

#21 Apr 24, 2014
ERIC CARTMAN wrote:
This is a terrible faltering of the understanding of science. The word "theory" does not mean the same thing in science that it does in everyday language. Scientific theories are not "opinions", but functional models of the workings of the universe which are borne out by repetitive experimentation, and proven through successful predictions. The Big Bang is in fact, a fact. It doesn't require faith, it requires years of training in physics and higher math. Scientists are not just throwing ideas into a hat and pulling one out to run with. They have evidence-supported reasons for telling us the universe works the way it does.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#22 Apr 24, 2014
ERIC CARTMAN wrote:
If you think it's merely an opinion, you clearly don't understand the meaning of the word 'theory' as used in a scientific context -- a common mistake among religionists who sneer at Science.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News a CDC ban on 'fetus' and 'transgender?' Experts... 18 min Retribution 5
News Why Is It So Hard For The TV News To Say 'Gay'? 2 hr Cordwainer Trout 3
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 3 hr Marcavage s Trick 366
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 4 hr Frindly 15,006
News Unhinged pastor tells "gay world" to "go to a M... 4 hr Marcavage s Trick 7
Jewboy Jade's Kosher Pig Peckers 5 hr Jewboy Jade 1
News Arlington Receives "All-Star" Rating for LGBTQ ... 6 hr Marcavage s Trick 22
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 7 hr Ralph 146
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) Fri GodSmacked 26,930
More from around the web