GOP Senators Offer Baffling Reason For SCOTUS To Keep DOMA

Feb 14, 2013 Full story: lezgetreal.com 11
Ten Republican US Senators have filed an amicus brief asking the US Supreme Court to uphold the Defense of Marriage Act on rather baffling reasons. Full Story

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Feb 14, 2013
The Executive is not authorized by the Constitution to decide what is, or is not, Constitutional.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#2 Feb 14, 2013
But, but, but, but, but.........

The GOPasaurs are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

They can't have it both ways. Either the DOJ's opinion matters or it doesn't. If they're relying on one DOJ opinion to support their case, the current DOJ opinion can be used to oppose them.
Neil Andblowme

Hoboken, NJ

#3 Feb 14, 2013
How are these fools going to defend their actions about 20yrs from now? They are ignoring their legacies because they are foolish... and in 20 yrs, no one will know who they are.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Feb 14, 2013
GOP is all for states' rights until they aren't, they are such hypocrites. It is traditional that if a state recognizes a marriage, the federal government will too and that states recognize marriages from other states.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Feb 14, 2013
Neil Andblowme wrote:
How are these fools going to defend their actions about 20yrs from now? They are ignoring their legacies because they are foolish... and in 20 yrs, no one will know who they are.
They'll be dead and gay people will be allowed to marry.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#6 Feb 15, 2013
The last throes of a writhing, dying snake.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#7 Feb 15, 2013
Wow. Talk about grasping at straws!!

I'm relying on memory here, but I thought from the very beginning, Clinton said that DOMA laws were unconstitutional and that he fully expected the one he signed to be overturned. Wasn't that all at the time it happened? Or was that later?

I do know that the only reason he signed it was to stop the panic that was then sweeping the country that it was feared could usher in a Federal constitutional amendment, which would have been a far bigger deal than what's happened since.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#8 Feb 15, 2013
eJohn wrote:
Wow. Talk about grasping at straws!!
I'm relying on memory here, but I thought from the very beginning, Clinton said that DOMA laws were unconstitutional and that he fully expected the one he signed to be overturned. Wasn't that all at the time it happened? Or was that later?
I do know that the only reason he signed it was to stop the panic that was then sweeping the country that it was feared could usher in a Federal constitutional amendment, which would have been a far bigger deal than what's happened since.
Your "grasping at straws" was my very first reaction, but then I thought my phrase covered these GOP Senators better.

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Feb 15, 2013
Just 4 more months and at least this part of this nonsense will be over.

Rumor has it Kennedy may be considering support for overturning all state marriage bans and then retiring after this session is over in Jun.

Wouldn't that be an interesting turn of events.

The GOPasaur & "conservatives" will scream bloody murder!

“II Samuel 1:26”

Location hidden

#10 Feb 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Just 4 more months and at least this part of this nonsense will be over.
Rumor has it Kennedy may be considering support for overturning all state marriage bans and then retiring after this session is over in Jun.
Wouldn't that be an interesting turn of events.
The GOPasaur & "conservatives" will scream bloody murder!
That would definitely be an interesting turn of events. Any idea where this rumor originated?

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Feb 18, 2013
AquariusNSF wrote:
<quoted text>
That would definitely be an interesting turn of events. Any idea where this rumor originated?
Unknown, but it's not without precedent for a justice to retire after making what they believe to be a legacy decision.

In addition, everyone is expecting Justice Ginsburg to be the next to step down from the court, but suprises always happen, as with O'Connor & Rhenquist.

Not saying it's going to happen, but you never know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 min hal 26,992
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 5 min Frankie Rizzo 4,285
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 min Religionthebiglie 51,302
Which QUEER is the BIGGEST LYING SACK OF SHlT? 9 min Righteous123 2
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 15 min Rick in Kansas 70
'Those who live in love live in God': Watch as ... 28 min Lover Boy 10
What Would You Like Two Do With NE Jade 57 min Righteous123 10
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 1 hr NorCal Native 5,307
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 1 hr Newt G s Next Wife 3,127
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,616
Supreme Court Has 'Tipped Its Hand' In Favor Of... 3 hr WasteWater 39
More from around the web