Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Apr 30, 2011 Full story: www.washingtonpost.com 38,672

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Full Story

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#39382 Jul 1, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all Christians are Timothy MacVeigh, but all Timothy MacVeigh's were christian.
There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world who have nothing to do with terrorism.

It is in the nature of bigots to judge all for the actions of a very tiny fraction of a few.

Stalin was an atheist.

So was Mao.

So was Pol Pot.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#39383 Jul 1, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Put your hand in your pocket and turn it out. Let us presume it is empty or at least whatever was there fell on the floor and your pocket is empty. Push in your pocket.
Using the universe inside your pocket, prove that pennies exist.
Because there is not proof that something exists it does not mean it does not exist.
Did bacteria exist when Socrates was alive?
How about ...

Take a sample of the lint to the lab. Subject the sample to spectroscopic analysis. Are there traces of metal in the sample? Which metals? Are the metals thus detected used in coinage? Compare the spectroscopy with samples taken from local coinage. Do they match? Conclude pocket has carried metallic objects of similar composition to local coinage.

Location hidden

#39384 Jul 1, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Pennies are not omniscient, omnipotent creators of universes.
Gosh, Booby: I didn't say they were nor did I come close to implying they were.

Within the context of an empty pocket, pennies do not exist.

By your definition: bacteria did not exist a few hundred years ago. Not even suspected.

I have proved your assertion false: because there is not proof something exists is not proof that something does not exist.

Location hidden

#39385 Jul 1, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Please prove that with actual quotation marks!
What's in it for me, Booby?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#39386 Jul 1, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
You keep working on it, you can have a BA degree if you apply yourself.
I don't need one. I already have a bachelor's degree and multiple graduate degrees.

Tampa, FL

#39387 Jul 1, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
"...a tax Is any contribution".
According to Black's Law Dictionary.
And the next three words are "imposed by government".

Thanks for proving my point!

Location hidden

#39388 Jul 1, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
How about ...
Take a sample of the lint to the lab. Subject the sample to spectroscopic analysis.
Examine it as closely as you can.

Not tell me: based on the closest examination of that piece of lint, how many moons circle the planet of Jupiter?

Or is that too tough?

Okay, easier: prove to me that Jupiter exists, based on analysis of that piece of lint.

If you cannot provide proof- does Jupiter exist?

Tampa, FL

#39389 Jul 1, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
I have the sourced quote.
The longer sourced quote.
Which includes the words "imposed by government".

You lose again.

Tampa, FL

#39390 Jul 1, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
As I pointed out before; you lack the grapes to admit you are wrong.
Like admitting you didn't know what "bald" meant.
I do indeed know what "bald" means. In the case of "bald eagle", it does *not* mean that the eagle lacks feathers on its head.

Just as Sweden's "church tax" does not *currently* mean that it is an actual tax.

You lose again.

Texas, USA

#39391 Jul 1, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world who have nothing to do with terrorism.
It is in the nature of bigots to judge all for the actions of a very tiny fraction of a few.
Stalin was an atheist.
So was Mao.
So was Pol Pot.
Most societies strive to limit or eliminate violent aberrations. Muslim societies do not consider terrorist aberrations. The 1.6 billion, if they were so inclined, could easily erase this negative association. They do not bother. They are, in fact, sanctifying terrorist activities by virtue of their lack of protest. I did not manufacture this association. It has been violently thrust upon us. When one fire ant bites you, is it "bigoted" to presume all fire ants sting? Maybe, in a pedantic sense. It's also smart.

Texas, USA

#39392 Jul 1, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Examine it as closely as you can.
Not tell me: based on the closest examination of that piece of lint, how many moons circle the planet of Jupiter?
Or is that too tough?
Okay, easier: prove to me that Jupiter exists, based on analysis of that piece of lint.
If you cannot provide proof- does Jupiter exist?
What? We've left Pocket Universe? A place where something like Jupiter could not exist? Jupiter, it's moons and it's origins have left ample evidence in our Universe. Creators ... not so much ... zero in fact.

You say Universe + Creator. I say just Universe. Occam's Razor ... your Universe includes at least one more "complication" than mine.

Texas, USA

#39393 Jul 1, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gosh, Booby: I didn't say they were nor did I come close to implying they were.
Within the context of an empty pocket, pennies do not exist.
By your definition: bacteria did not exist a few hundred years ago. Not even suspected.
I have proved your assertion false: because there is not proof something exists is not proof that something does not exist.
You only proved your description as "pedantic" accurate. The pennies, if they existed, would have left traces inside the pocket universe. Just as your god would have left traces in this one.

Texas, USA

#39394 Jul 1, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just came in from outdoors three minutes ago.
I scraped some BoobyHill off my shoes so I did not catch hell for tracking up the steps into the house.
Most Americans are Christians. This is a fact. The USA is a nation of Christians. If you cannot live with this, you might consider moving to Israel (but they are a 'church' state like UK and Iran).8900
Then it should be clear that most crimes are committed by Christians. Evil bunch ... pure evil. The Free Thinking authors of our Constitution must have realized this. Bully for them, I say ... bully for them!!

Location hidden

#39395 Jul 1, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Which includes the words "imposed by government".
You lose again.
I am not going to teach you what your fifth grade English teacher failed to teach you and what you haven't learned from your mail order degrees.

I cannot force you to read the exact quotes (with sources) posted in this forum.

Troll.

Location hidden

#39396 Jul 1, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it should be clear that most crimes are committed by Christians.!
I am responsible for what I say.

You are not responsible for what you say.

vive la différence!

Location hidden

#39397 Jul 1, 2012
RHill wrote:
The pennies, if they existed, would have left traces inside the pocket universe.
I explained it in a fashion a ten year old could understand.

I know you found it overwhelming.

Location hidden

#39398 Jul 1, 2012
RHill wrote:
<
You say Universe + Creator.
Happy to see that quote.

Funny how the NotBots have to create their own quotes when they cannot use the ones available.

Location hidden

#39399 Jul 1, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
Most societies strive to limit or eliminate violent aberrations.
Nonsense.

How hard is it of you to come up with a list of wars in the last one hundred years?

Location hidden

#39400 Jul 1, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need one. I already have a bachelor's degree and multiple graduate degrees.
Prove it.

You certainly hide it well.

Location hidden

#39401 Jul 1, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
I do indeed know what "bald" means.
You are a liar.

You did not know when I brought it up and you knew after I brought it to your attention that you are a lying sack of sh!t.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 14 min Bill 57,305
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr Pietro Armando 8,754
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 2 hr Pietro Armando 6,331
Evangelicals to Gays: We Have Nothing For You |... (Mar '10) 3 hr Justice_League 18,840
Va. to pay $520K to lawyers in same-sex marriag... 3 hr Lerone 13
Cumberbatch Calls For Pardons For Gay Men 4 hr Lerone 5
Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage wo... 4 hr Belle Sexton 53
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 5 hr Cali Girl 2014 68,792
Man takes legal action after Denver baker refus... 8 hr Hazel 665
More from around the web