Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

There are 38601 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Apr 30, 2011, titled Why do Americans still dislike atheists?. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#38659 Jun 20, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
supernatural entities aren't deities.
Get a dictionary.
You cannot have a supernatural entity without a deity. If there is a deity, then an supernatural entity may be considered a non deity, but in absence of such, the supernatural entity would become the deity.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#38660 Jun 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>From Wikipedia: "Theistic Satanism, sometimes referred to as Traditional Satanism, or Spiritual Satanism, is a form of Satanism with the primary belief that Satan is an actual deity or force to revere or worship."

What part of "Satan is an actual deity" in that definition do you not get?

Good luck, then, with dismissing the Encyclopedia of Religion, published by Macmillan: "[Michael] Aquino reports that he invoked Satan during his 1975 dispute with LaVey and received a visitation from Set, the Egyptian god of night. According to Aquino, Set is a metaphysical being formerly known under the Hebrew misnomer Satan. Set has used his power over the millennia to alter the genetic makeup of humans and to produce a species possessing an enhanced, nonnatural intelligence and potential."

Sure sounds like an actual deity to me.

barefoot2626 wrote, "Satan is not a god"

Obviously, Aquino's Satanists felt otherwise.
Dont forget this part from wiki.

Satanist groups that appeared after the 1960s are widely diverse, but two major trends are Theistic Satanism and Atheistic Satanism. Theistic Satanists venerate Satan as a supernatural deity. In contrast, Atheistic Satanists[5] consider themselves atheists, agnostics, or apatheists and regard Satan as merely symbolic of certain human traits. This categorization of Satanism (which could be categorized in other ways, for example "Traditional" versus "Modern"), is not necessarily adopted by Satanists themselves, who usually would not specify which type of Satanism they adhere to. Some Satanists believe in a god in the sense of a Prime Mover but, like Atheistic Satanists, do not worship it, due to the deist belief that a god plays no part in mortal lives.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#38661 Jun 21, 2012
Educated What wrote:
Dont forget this part from wiki.
Satanist groups that appeared after the 1960s are widely diverse, but two major trends are Theistic Satanism and Atheistic Satanism. Theistic Satanists venerate Satan as a supernatural deity. In contrast, Atheistic Satanists[5] consider themselves atheists, agnostics, or apatheists and regard Satan as merely symbolic of certain human traits. This categorization of Satanism (which could be categorized in other ways, for example "Traditional" versus "Modern"), is not necessarily adopted by Satanists themselves, who usually would not specify which type of Satanism they adhere to. Some Satanists believe in a god in the sense of a Prime Mover but, like Atheistic Satanists, do not worship it, due to the deist belief that a god plays no part in mortal lives.
And Atheistic Satanists are no more "linked" to atheists than Theistic Satanists are "linked" to theists.

Neither group has been demonstrated to constitute more than a miniscule fraction of either atheists or theists.

So what is the point in bringing up Satanism? It's pointless.
SteinGoldie

New York, NY

#38662 Jun 21, 2012
what Steve responded I am amazed that you able to get paid $8751 in one month on the internet. have you read this web page http://zapit.nu/23a

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#38663 Jun 21, 2012
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
A visit from a "fallen angel" would be as damning to A-theism as one of the holy trinity stopping by.
Right... umm...

Review: Satan is not (according to Christians) a god, and atheists (by definition) do not believe in gods.

Satan is not a god.

Location hidden

#38664 Jun 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
What part of "Satan is an actual deity" in that definition do you not get?
What part of 'wikipedia: hahahahahaahaha!" do you not get?

Location hidden

#38665 Jun 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Good luck, then, with dismissing the Encyclopedia of Religion, published by Macmillan: "[Michael] Aquino reports that he invoked Satan...(clip)
People have been calling up 'spirits' for thousands of years.

A spirit is not a god.

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#38666 Jun 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Right... umm...

Review: Satan is not (according to Christians) a god, and atheists (by definition) do not believe in gods.

Satan is not a god.
Exactly!
Mikko

Södertälje, Sweden

#38667 Jun 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right... umm...
Satan is not a god.
and atheists are not satanists

Tampa, FL

#38668 Jun 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
People have been calling up 'spirits' for thousands of years. A spirit is not a god.
We're talking about *belief* here. If someone *believes* that they are invoking a god, then that is all that is relevant in regards to whether or not they are a "theist".

Satanists who believe that they are invoking a "god" are still *theists*, by definition.

Location hidden

#38669 Jun 21, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
and atheists are not satanists
Some are.

No matter how hard you stomp your feet.

Let's remember: it's the NotBots who insisted there were no (NONE) atheists who were also Satanists.

Location hidden

#38670 Jun 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
We're talking about *belief* here. If someone *believes*
Satan is not a god.

You can say you believe your shoe is a god, I don't care.

I am sticking to the English language.

Review: the NotBots have said their were NO (none) atheists who were Satanists.

Location hidden

#38671 Jun 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
Satanists who believe that they are invoking a "god" are still *theists*, by definition.
You still haven't proven that Satanist who "invoke" Satan are any different than spiritualist who invoke the spirits dead.

Ghosts are not gods, spirits are not gods, Santa Claus is not a god, Satan is not a god.

Tampa, FL

#38672 Jun 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some are.
Just as some *theists* are Satanists, no matter how hard you stomp your feet.

Now, given that it has yet to be demonstrated that either group of Satanists are more than the tiniest fraction of either atheists or theists, what is the possible relevancy of discussing Satanism in this thread?

Tampa, FL

#38673 Jun 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
Satan is not a god.
*Theistic* Satanists believe otherwise.
barefoot2626 wrote:
You can say you believe your shoe is a god, I don't care.
I am sticking to the English language.
And the English language doesn't care whether or not any belief is justified. If someone *believes* that something is a god, that makes that person a *theist*.

Those who worshiped Zeus were theists, regardless of whether Zeus actually exists.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#38674 Jun 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Right... umm...
Satan is not a god.
Well ... He's not MY god, might be yours. Christians only claim one god (or 3, I'm not clear) so their opinions are suspect. To us mere mortals the supernatural world is chock full of worthy deities.

Tampa, FL

#38675 Jun 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You still haven't proven that Satanist who "invoke" Satan are any different than spiritualist who invoke the spirits dead.
If Satanists invoke Satan under the belief that Satan is a god, then that makes those Satanists theists by definition.(Again, the definition of "theist" makes no distinction regarding whether or not the theistic belief is justifiable.)
Mikko

Södertälje, Sweden

#38676 Jun 21, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some are.
Let's remember: it's the NotBots who insisted there were no (NONE) atheists who were also Satanists.
but you are trying to label all atheists as satanists

Location hidden

#38677 Jun 21, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as some *theists* are Satanists, no matter how hard you stomp your feet.
You are the one insisting that theists are Satanists.

I am the one who said theists were Satanists long before you.

Now you will want to insist you told us the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

PS: Christians do not believe there are two gods, no matter how hard you stomp your feet.

Location hidden

#38678 Jun 21, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
but you are trying to label all atheists as satanists
You are a liar.

I will remind you every time you post.

I am sure you will want to prove me wrong, LIAR: quote me, DIRECTLY.

But then... direct quotes are not in the NotBot tool box.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thank You Mr President 8 min Frankie Rizzo 7
News Gay Cakes Are Not a Constitutional Right 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 822
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 4 hr cpeter1313 17,299
News US gay couple sues after getting 'hateful' flye... 4 hr Holy Guacamole 1
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 5 hr GodSmacked 27,290
News An Immersive Play About Lutherans Battling over... (Sep '16) 7 hr Whoshgow 62
News Gay basher Kathryn Knott forced to fork over a ... 7 hr Holy Guacamole 34
News Reading series teaches students about inclusion 7 hr Holy Guacamole 10
More from around the web