Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

There are 38601 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Apr 30, 2011, titled Why do Americans still dislike atheists?. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#38639 Jun 19, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Again I am only comparing satanism that really does not have Satan at all. I believe there are different stories and beliefs dealing with Satan but not satanism. Satanism does not have a deity at all but more of a belief in themselves and not the Gods they believe are man made.
Well, in that case, you have the advantage of me-- I am unaware of any such groups.

That's okay-- I really did not delve into the offshoot cults of christianity all that much anyway.

My study of early christian history focused on the mainstream cults' various activities.

But if they believe themselves to be gods? Then they are religious, and as crazy as anyone else who believes in gods.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#38640 Jun 19, 2012
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
This is your response?
To this?
" http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/20_arg ...
There was never, in the whole history of Christianity, or the Greek world before that, of His existence.
It is as close a scientific certainty as any other great theory. And that is why so many atheists have converted to Christianity, and even become Church Fathers themselves.
Fail on your part ... again.
Now quit thinking of God as some sort of old man up in some sky with angelic girls flying around him. Nothing we can imagine, though we try mightily, could envision the scientific singularity of absoluteness that is God.
Now here is some theology 101 for you to wrap your mind around.
We humans can only imagine what we know. If we do not know it, we cannot imagine it. Thus, you cannot imagine a being that is outside of time and space, or a creature that is limitless. Eternal means without limit, not something that goes on and on forever in all direction, or through time forever and ever. Space and time itself is a limit, and thus, not where the creator of any universe could possible reside. This is pure science. to create, you must be outside of the creation. Even to our own minds, our bodies are bound by these limits that our mental faculty is outside of.
Now, what will Bob do with this new information? Utterly reject it? Or be open-minded and curious?"
You're evading the facts, again Bob. Why is that?
Your link to a Lying For Jewsus website goes unclicked.

Why?

Because I have no interest in reading a lying sh7t-site, or reading the Apologizers for KKKristianity's Major Failures.

That's all you have: apologies, lies and sh7t-lies.

It's what you do best (lie) after all.

Did you think I forgot you were a Genuine Christian™?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#38641 Jun 19, 2012
Yankee Yahoo wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
I'll take that as tacit agreement that Hebrews did not exist prior to approximately 500BCE.

Good.

Maybe you CAN learn....?

Naaaaaah....

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#38642 Jun 19, 2012
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
Cruel and unusual punishment........
Brilliant!

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#38643 Jun 20, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>...
Did you think I forgot you were a Genuine Christian™?
Like you forgot about claiming that you were not atheistic?

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#38644 Jun 20, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you are hurt that I pulled down your pants on this issue.
And you want another chance to refight the fight you lost.
The fact remains, you and your NotBots posted that there were no (NONE) Satanists who were atheists.
And it is a fact that there are Satanist who are atheists.
Proved.
Pull up you pants and move on, I do not have a need to pull them down again because you think you like George Casanza thought of something more clever than you had the first round.
Technically, a Satanist would be considered a theist since Satan is supposed to be a fallen angel, i.e, a supernatural entity. One exception could be if the person was a Church of Satan member as they claim to follow the edicts of the flesh and not actually worship or sacrifice Satan. I know, it does smell like something's fishy in the State of Denmark, especially if they enjoy tax-free status.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#38645 Jun 20, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You take longer than anyone else in this forum to say nothing, and you repeat yourself like your nothing means something.
Funny how that is.
Here's a thought: try saying nothing.
Lol, you just used thirty one words, to complain about the length of my fourteen word post.

So now, you think I should post as you do, by saying nothing? Sorry, but no, I will continue to post with pertinent comment only.

And again, ya got nothing.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#38646 Jun 20, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Lol, you just used thirty one words, to complain about the length of my fourteen word post.
Complain?

Sweetie: I don't care.

That's three words.

Location hidden

#38647 Jun 20, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Technically, a Satanist would be considered a theist since Satan is supposed to be a fallen angel, i.e, a supernatural entity.
supernatural entities aren't deities.

Get a dictionary.

Location hidden

#38648 Jun 20, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
I know, it does smell like something's fishy in the State of Denmark, especially if they enjoy tax-free status.
Church of Satan, Catholic Church, Latter Day Saints... how said for you that the State thinks it can decide which are religions are 'official' and others... not...

And worse: when the State decides there should be an official state religion...

Like Denmark... and UK... and Israel... and Iran...

Location hidden

#38649 Jun 20, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll take that as tacit agreement that Hebrews did not exist prior to approximately 500BCE.
I take that you cannot back up anything you say?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#38650 Jun 20, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
supernatural entities aren't deities.
*Some* are. And those that are worshiped as a "god" are.

That's why theistic Satanists are called *theistic* Satanists.

Location hidden

#38651 Jun 20, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
No, dummy.

'Theistic' Satanists are Satanists who believe in God.

like 'Theistic' Honda owners are people who own Honda's who believe in God, and own Honda's, and Honda 'Satanists' are Satanists who drive Hondas who believe in Satan and 'Theistic Satanist' Honda owners who believe in the reliability of Satan, God and Honda's...
are 'Theistic Satanists' Honda owners

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#38652 Jun 20, 2012
Theistic Satanism, is a form of Satanism with the primary belief that Satan is an actual deity.

" http://lmgtfy.com/... ;

Tampa, FL

#38653 Jun 20, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
No
Yes.
barefoot2626 wrote:
'Theistic' Satanists are Satanists who believe in God.
From Wikipedia: "Theistic Satanism, sometimes referred to as Traditional Satanism, or Spiritual Satanism, is a form of Satanism with the primary belief that Satan is an actual deity or force to revere or worship."

What part of "Satan is an actual deity" in that definition do you not get?

Location hidden

#38654 Jun 20, 2012
Hedonist wrote:
Theistic Satanism, is a form of Satanism with the primary belief that Satan is an actual deity.
" http://lmgtfy.com/... ;
You can find people who believe that there is a B25 bomber on the backside of the moon.

Location hidden

#38655 Jun 20, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
From Wikipedia:
YES, Wikipedia.

'nuff said.

(quote)
Sunday Sport is a British tabloid newspaper, published by Sport Newspapers, which was established in 1986. It prints plainly ludicrous stories, such as a double-decker London bus being found frozen in the Antarctic ice, or a World War II bomber found on the moon. Defenders of the paper pointed out that it was not intended to be taken seriously . Its controversial content also includes a high quotient of softcore female nudity and extensive advertising for sexual services.

(clip)
Satan is not a god, if you are a Christian, he is a fallen angel and not a god.

There is nothing that keeps you or me from declaring your left shoe a God.

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#38656 Jun 20, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
YES, Wikipedia.
'nuff said.
(quote)
Sunday Sport is a British tabloid newspaper, published by Sport Newspapers, which was established in 1986. It prints plainly ludicrous stories, such as a double-decker London bus being found frozen in the Antarctic ice, or a World War II bomber found on the moon. Defenders of the paper pointed out that it was not intended to be taken seriously . Its controversial content also includes a high quotient of softcore female nudity and extensive advertising for sexual services.
(clip)
Satan is not a god, if you are a Christian, he is a fallen angel and not a god.
There is nothing that keeps you or me from declaring your left shoe a God.
A visit from a "fallen angel" would be as damning to A-theism as one of the holy trinity stopping by. You can't say he wouldn't quickly get a fan club. The root battle here is between natural and supernatural reality.

Tampa, FL

#38657 Jun 20, 2012
From Wikipedia: "Theistic Satanism, sometimes referred to as Traditional Satanism, or Spiritual Satanism, is a form of Satanism with the primary belief that Satan is an actual deity or force to revere or worship."

What part of "Satan is an actual deity" in that definition do you not get?
barefoot2626 wrote:
YES, Wikipedia.'nuff said.
Good luck, then, with dismissing the Encyclopedia of Religion, published by Macmillan: "[Michael] Aquino reports that he invoked Satan during his 1975 dispute with LaVey and received a visitation from Set, the Egyptian god of night. According to Aquino, Set is a metaphysical being formerly known under the Hebrew misnomer Satan. Set has used his power over the millennia to alter the genetic makeup of humans and to produce a species possessing an enhanced, nonnatural intelligence and potential."

Sure sounds like an actual deity to me.
barefoot2626 wrote:
Satan is not a god
Obviously, Aquino's Satanists felt otherwise.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#38658 Jun 20, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Complain?
Sweetie: I don't care.
That's three words.
~ click ~

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for being born gay 2 min NE Jade 75
News Getting used to gay unions 3 min Terry n Arthur 3
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 54 min Arthur 26,533
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr cpeter1313 14,263
News Herea s Harris Dickinsona s gay sex scene in ne... 3 hr Rubio s Foam Partays 5
News Staff had warned anti-LGBT lawmaker about affai... 4 hr The Worlds Bigges... 7
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 hr June VanDerMark 57,983
Roy Moore.....Just Another Hypocrite Wed GodSmacked 111
More from around the web