Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Apr 30, 2011 | Posted by: Hedonist | Full story: www.washingtonpost.com

Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists.

Comments

< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 30, 2011
 

Judged:

4

2

2

I haven't read Zuckerman's book yet, but I've just put it on my Kindle reading list!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 30, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

2

I just read through Dr. Zuckerman's abstract on his research and his findings. Excellent read!

" http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zucke... ;
redneck

Cave Junction, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 30, 2011
 

Judged:

15

12

5

It's not Americans, it's christian Americans.

“talk to the kitteh”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 30, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

2

That's a thought-provoking question.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 30, 2011
 

Judged:

9

8

6

redneck wrote:
It's not Americans, it's christian Americans.
That sums it up pretty well. They do have a documented history of bad behavior and mistreatment with a multitude of minorities.

But more specifically the linked article stated:
"Rarely denounced by the mainstream, this stunning anti-atheist discrimination is egged on by Christian conservatives who stridently and uncivilly declare that the lack of godly faith is detrimental to society, rendering nonbelievers intrinsically suspect and second-class citizens."
wat

Downingtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 30, 2011
 

Judged:

9

7

6

The Washington Post wrote:
A growing body of social science research reveals that atheists, and non-religious people in general, are far from the unsavory beings many assume them to be. On basic questions of morality and human decency issues such as governmental use of torture, the death penalty, punitive hitting of children, racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, environmental degradation or human rights the irreligious tend to be more ethical than their religious peers, particularly compared with those who describe themselves as very religious.
Statics show that more religious countries/states have higher murder rates and poverty. The reason they are religious is because they are living in a crap hole! Why do you think Africa has such a high level of religiousness? While I am not an atheist (non-religious theist) I certainly feel for them. Nobody should be treated like a second class citizen for their beliefs. It's good to know that conservative Christians are a dieing breed in America.
jaimie

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 30, 2011
 

Judged:

8

4

2

wat wrote:
<quoted text>
Statics show that more religious countries/states have higher murder rates and poverty. The reason they are religious is because they are living in a crap hole! Why do you think Africa has such a high level of religiousness? While I am not an atheist (non-religious theist) I certainly feel for them. Nobody should be treated like a second class citizen for their beliefs. It's good to know that conservative Christians are a dieing breed in America.
It is contingent on your curch enterence and what role in the bible your life will simulate by who was being discussed in church the first time you enterend after your 4th birthday.

Your life is a mirror to that person being discussed, so if you can prove religious affiliation, they can outline how that persons life was and the murder and poverty is pardoned as it was a resemblence of that persons life and researched thereafter through you.

Indicating the old saying from the grannies watching the mafia men "now that's a damn good Christian man" Nobody knows which ordinence is whose but a small few. It saves you in court as well. Kind of like a possession of thought and provoktion.

And they laugh at me when I have a mans shirt on sometimes or jeans.. I don't know am I to wear a tunic instead? I definately can't wear femanine dresses or suits on my church ordinence role.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 1, 2011
 

Judged:

14

8

8

nanoanomaly wrote:
That's a thought-provoking question.
Christians should be thinking about it, because it has serious implications for them in the near future. Atheists have been demeaned, dehumanized and marginalized for as long as the church had the floor and dominated the conversation exclusively.

Now we have a voice. I for one am very happy to return the favor. I consider that religion filth and a plague, and don't mine disparaging it at any opportunity.

Our numbers are growing, and our place in society becoming more secure. The religious are hemorrhaging in numbers and clout. They're om the defensive. They're now being shown to be immoral and unfit, and a sickness on society. That's right. That's the language many of us use. And hypocrite. And throwback. And pedophile. And anti-intellectual.

The worm is turning. Christians really ought to take a little time to reflect on what has happened to atheists for centuries, because they're next. They're going into that closet as we step out. Once, a candidate had no chance of being elected if he believed in evolution instead of talking snakes. Look for that to reverse itself.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

11

10

9

The majority of Americans dislike atheists because they're messing with their fairy story.

The majority of theists in every country are both ignorant and righteous.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

2

jaimie wrote:
<quoted text>
It is contingent on your curch enterence and what role in the bible your life will simulate by who was being discussed in church the first time you enterend after your 4th birthday.
Your life is a mirror to that person being discussed, so if you can prove religious affiliation, they can outline how that persons life was and the murder and poverty is pardoned as it was a resemblence of that persons life and researched thereafter through you.
Indicating the old saying from the grannies watching the mafia men "now that's a damn good Christian man" Nobody knows which ordinence is whose but a small few. It saves you in court as well. Kind of like a possession of thought and provoktion.
And they laugh at me when I have a mans shirt on sometimes or jeans.. I don't know am I to wear a tunic instead? I definately can't wear femanine dresses or suits on my church ordinence role.
Off topic

You just touched on one of my pet peeves. The tunic, no manufacturer of women's clothing, can sell me a garment that they are calling a tunic.

Goggle "define tunic" and you will see what I know as tunic. Not appealing at all is it?

a. A loose-fitting garment, sleeved or sleeveless, extending to the knees ...

www.thefreedictionary.com/Tunics - Similar

Chiefly British. a coat worn as part of a military or other uniform. 2. a gown like outer garment, with or without sleeves and sometimes belted,...

dictionary.reference.com/browse/tunic - Similar

a : a simple slip-on garment made with or without sleeves and usually knee- length or longer, belted at the waist, and worn as an under or outer garment by ...

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tunic - Similar

tunic n. A loose-fitting garment, sleeved or sleeveless, extending to the knees and worn by men and women especially in ancient Greece and Rome.

www.answers.com/topic/tunic - Similar

noun. a loose, gown like garment worn by men and women in ancient Greece and Rome ; a blouse like garment extending to the hips or lower, usually gathered at ...

www.yourdictionary.com/tunic - Similar
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

7

6

4

because in a land where everyone's supposed to be equal

what people really don't like are people who are smarter than they are

this is why we are in the amatuer hour where uneducated loudly spoken opinion is somehow equal to the educated and expert opinion.

if it's too hard to understand then it can't be true because it would take a god to do it, not mere mortals.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

7

4

4

any mortal who thinks they know is uppity
Amused

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

11

11

4

Propaganda is aimed not at converting the unbeliever, but at propping up the believer. Christian propaganda is not aimed so much at obtaining converts as it is at stifling the gnawing sense that the fairy story is not true. The more fervent the propaganda, the deeper the insecurity it is meant to allay. When you can take reassurance from the fact that everyone you know believes the same basic myth, it is easy to convince yourself that you believe it too. The existence of someone who says aloud that the emperor has no clothes is an existential threat to a story that has incredible allegiance. Christians are convinced they are part of an elite, god's chosen ones, and cannot stand the idea that they are not "special". Hence the hostility towards those who don't share the mass hallucination.
jaimie

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

4

4

2

Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Off topic
You just touched on one of my pet peeves. The tunic, no manufacturer of women's clothing, can sell me a garment that they are calling a tunic.
Goggle "define tunic" and you will see what I know as tunic. Not appealing at all is it?
a. A loose-fitting garment, sleeved or sleeveless, extending to the knees ...
www.thefreedictionary.com/Tunics - Similar
Chiefly British. a coat worn as part of a military or other uniform. 2. a gown like outer garment, with or without sleeves and sometimes belted,...
dictionary.reference.com/browse/tunic - Similar
a : a simple slip-on garment made with or without sleeves and usually knee- length or longer, belted at the waist, and worn as an under or outer garment by ...
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tunic - Similar
tunic n. A loose-fitting garment, sleeved or sleeveless, extending to the knees and worn by men and women especially in ancient Greece and Rome.
www.answers.com/topic/tunic - Similar
noun. a loose, gown like garment worn by men and women in ancient Greece and Rome ; a blouse like garment extending to the hips or lower, usually gathered at ...
www.yourdictionary.com/tunic - Similar
Off topic to who? You ? And what?

My relationships and life expereince hosts knowledge of my LIFE not yours, what you read to ignite a formation of a shadow of a existence off sometone else intellect or life experience to reword and take credit for their story and experience is not of relevance to me. Shows your ignorence to living at all( that means your not in my life to credit a opinion, I do not have a job where spelling and typo expertise is a essential nor do I have to follow rules and guidelines as online jobs YOU do.. You cant format a opinion because you head no place in my life nor ever will and it is desired that way to continue).

You get pissed because you cant run to another forum or research topic online and run back to this forum to appear like a expert on topic. To sad
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Amused wrote:
... Christians are convinced they are part of an elite, god's chosen ones, and cannot stand the idea that they are not "special". Hence the hostility towards those who don't share the mass hallucination.
yeah, special ed special
Amused

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

6

5

3

jaimie wrote:
<quoted text>
Off topic to who? You ? And what?
My relationships and life expereince hosts knowledge of my LIFE not yours, what you read to ignite a formation of a shadow of a existence off sometone else intellect or life experience to reword and take credit for their story and experience is not of relevance to me. Shows your ignorence to living at all( that means your not in my life to credit a opinion, I do not have a job where spelling and typo expertise is a essential nor do I have to follow rules and guidelines as online jobs YOU do.. You cant format a opinion because you head no place in my life nor ever will and it is desired that way to continue).
You get pissed because you cant run to another forum or research topic online and run back to this forum to appear like a expert on topic. To sad
Um, I think RP was introducing his/her own remarks by noting that the digression about tunics was off topic, not commenting on whether your post was off topic. So your apparent hostility is quite misdirected. I've personally found both of your posts to be so scattered in thought and so poorly expressed that I can't even form an opinion as to whether they pertain to any topic at all.
Amused

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

2

nina wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, special ed special
So, how come they don't require that church busses be short bus-style?
jaimie

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

12

10

8

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, I think RP was introducing his/her own remarks by noting that the digression about tunics was off topic, not commenting on whether your post was off topic. So your apparent hostility is quite misdirected. I've personally found both of your posts to be so scattered in thought and so poorly expressed that I can't even form an opinion as to whether they pertain to any topic at all.
Um a athiest has no clue of church ordience of Baptist, buddism, Catholics, Chritians, Lutheran etc.

Because they have no knowledge they cant relate.

Americans have a "ordinence role" Which we have life status and attire.

Athiests dont play that and disrupt peoples psyche with their slander or loose ways around people and the topic.

My ordinence wore a tunic but I changed it to flannel or attire that resembled what was once called a tunic, not a robe or gown.

You can't relate becasue your are nto aloud to read the BIBLE the ordience of yoru charactor for life, thats all. Your paper clips on th ebible are all the times your charactor must attend church for their role. Outside of it you do not attend.
Amused

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

10

6

4

jaimie wrote:
<quoted text>
Um a athiest has no clue of church ordience of Baptist, buddism, Catholics, Chritians, Lutheran etc.
Because they have no knowledge they cant relate.
Americans have a "ordinence role" Which we have life status and attire.
Athiests dont play that and disrupt peoples psyche with their slander or loose ways around people and the topic.
My ordinence wore a tunic but I changed it to flannel or attire that resembled what was once called a tunic, not a robe or gown.
You can't relate becasue your are nto aloud to read the BIBLE the ordience of yoru charactor for life, thats all. Your paper clips on th ebible are all the times your charactor must attend church for their role. Outside of it you do not attend.
Where do you get your drugs? You apparently have an awesome connection to substances that completely disable your ability to think and write coherently. Either that, or you are stark raving mad.
nina

Ottawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 2, 2011
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
So, how come they don't require that church busses be short bus-style?
they are trying to pack as many beleivers together as they can

it takes fewer longbuses than short buses for the same number of people

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••