CO Baker Found Guilty for Denying Gay...

CO Baker Found Guilty for Denying Gay Couple Wedding Cake - May Face a Year in Jail

There are 16410 comments on the Gateway Pundit story from Dec 8, 2013, titled CO Baker Found Guilty for Denying Gay Couple Wedding Cake - May Face a Year in Jail. In it, Gateway Pundit reports that:

Gay activists protest the Masterpiece Cakeshop in 2012. Owner Jack Phillips now faces charges for not baking a cake for the gay couple.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Gateway Pundit.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#4687 Jan 15, 2014
You think high school kids don't have offensive theme parties? Get out of the basement. And in most states, you still have to be 21 to view "obscene" images.

You failed the analogy portion of the SAT, I see. Both cases are concerning use of religious tenets to ignore the law. The jewish one is more compelling in that it is an actual tenet, not just a vague interpretation, and that it is supposed to be based on a true incident.
incredulous wrote:
<quoted text>For someone who is always attempting to tell strangers how smart you are..........that IQ of yours is hitting a new low. I was referring college kids who usually have offensive theme parties. Didn't think I needed to draw you a picture. Your analogy is another fail because refusing to bake a cake because it goes against ones religious beliefs has nothing to do with endangering people on the road in order to get home before sundown for a religious ritual.

Indianapolis

#4688 Jan 15, 2014
Neither involve protected classes, and the latter is just stupid--do they ask before selling tickets? I suppose someone turned down for a sale could take them to court to get a ruling. Sounds pretty stupid to me, but what do you expect from jocks and their owners?
Wondering wrote:
Seahawks won't sell tickets to anyone with a CA address, Broncos won't sell tickets to Pat's fans. Reminds me of a baker in CO. It seems businesses can be selective.

Indianapolis

#4689 Jan 15, 2014
I didn't mi9ss the point; you don't HAVE a point beyond stamping your feet.

I have exercised no discrimination against you, twit. We're both posting on a message board.

You think you are evincing "normal behavior"? Just proves how meaningless the term must be.

When I ran a clinic, I made sure we were in compliance with all laws because we had to be to function. I even had to point out to a couple staffers that we couldn't refuse certain patients because they had medicaid, because we were signed as a medicaid provider.

Two thousand? What are their names? BTW--some people will be attacked because the perp THINKS they are gay even though they aren't. Violent morons will find excuses to commit violence regardless of what we do. We're going to live our lives whether they like us or not.

Sorry if I don't care about the opinion of a rich, entitled manchild who's never had to deal with discrimination a day in his life, and who co-opted us to avoid the draft.
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the point, the discrimination that you exercised against me is exactly the same as the discrimination the baker exercised and exactly what the t-shirt company exercised and it is the NORMAL response when one does not want to do something one does not agree with.
You enjoy disrupting normal behavior and forcing your idea of how people should behave by making it illegal for them to behave exactly the way you behave.
Why can't you just come out and admit it? Your behavior provides example after example and I am just trying to bring it all together into a bottom line kind of statement, and I have to guess you see how bad it is what you are doing that you refuse to admit that you advocate what you advocate.
Forcing you will onto other people makes you look bad. We all know it. So why not admit that you want the freedom to decide who goes into your business but you do not want other people to have the same freedom. Anti-discrimination laws do not work for you, but you want them forced on people you do not approve of, in this case, bigots who refuse to support gay marriage.
Two thousand gay men are going to be murdered by homophobic closet cases this year and you do not see how you inflame the homophobic closet cases?
You believe forcing bigots to bake wedding cakes makes the world better for gays and I am telling you that it makes it worse.
SHADOW

Canyon Lake, TX

#4690 Jan 15, 2014
cpeter1313 wrote:
Bakeries have genders?
<quoted text>
OK queer bakery--OK?
"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.

These guys can't figure what gender they are, understand now.
BTW in these same sex things who plays the man and who plays the woman?

Indianapolis

#4691 Jan 15, 2014
The bar owner isn't required to hire chaperones. Nor do most gay bars have problems with random groping. If you were violated, then GO to the police--who will ask the name of the assailant, description, etc. Unless the groper was an employee, the owner has no liability for a patron's random action. It's been my observation that nobody gets groped without giving out signals indicating interest. Maybe you're just totally unaware of your body language.
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Except when it comes to gays. I believe and fully support gays having equal rights and gays attack me, insult me and call me names because I say it is wrong to force bigot bakers to bake cakes for gay weddings. Then if I say I do not like men touching my dick in gay bars I am told to stay out of them.
Gays don't want women in their bars and they avoid dealing with this discrimination by making up a new situation that women don't want to go in them. Like that answers anything. The fact is that gays want the right to discriminate against women in their bars, but they do not want bigots to discriminate against gays in their bakeries.
cpeter tell me to stay out of gay bars if I don't like guys touching my dick, but doesn't want bakers free to tell gays to stay out of his bakery.
I do not go into a gay bar to get my dick touched so I can do what cpeter does and go to the police and have the owner forced to hire security guards to watch his patrons to make sure they do not grope each other, which might force him out of business, or I can just do the intelligent thing and go to another bar where groping doesn't happen.
Just like the gay couple could have gone to another bakery.

Indianapolis

#4692 Jan 15, 2014
You do know that quoting anonymous internet loggers really isn't proof of anything, right? You should also know that using entire sections of said post is plagiarism...unless you wrote it to begin with.

You can express opinions all you want...it's acting on them that can be illegal. The KKK has the right to speak, but not to act against those it disapproves of.
Reverend Alan wrote:
""The right to associate, fundamental to any free society, includes the right to not associate. The right to free speech incorporates the right to express opinions that may offend others. The ever-expanding scope of anti-discrimination laws strikes at the heart of these freedoms by telling us what we cannot do with our own property and what opinions we may not express. The greatest threat to liberty in the United States today comes not from the Al-Qaeda but from within -- from the recent explosion of various laws that seek to erode civil liberties in the name of "compelling state interest". Anti-discrimination laws are a prime example of those.""

Indianapolis

#4693 Jan 15, 2014
Friedman's an economist, not an expert in the law.
Reverend Alan wrote:
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom, and the force, introduced for good purposes, will end up in the hands of people who use it to promote their own interests. On the other hand, a society that puts freedom first will, as a happy by-product, end up with both greater freedom and greater equality".-Milton Friedman

Indianapolis

#4694 Jan 15, 2014
Ron Paul has less respect than you do. The problem with his OPINION here is that race relations were not improving prior to the civil rights act; in fact, it was due to black advocacy and even violence that Washington deigned to change things at all.

How long should american citizens wait before others deem them worthy of equality? And why are you supporting the majority's "right" to oppress others?
Reverend Alan wrote:
Dr. Ron Paul: "The Civil Rights Act of 1964 not only violated the Constitution and reduced individual liberty; it also failed to achieve its stated goals of promoting racial harmony and a color-blind society. Federal bureaucrats and judges cannot read minds to see if actions are motivated by racism. Therefore, the only way the federal government could ensure an employer was not violating the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was to ensure that the racial composition of a business's workforce matched the racial composition of a bureaucrat or judge's defined body of potential employees. Thus, bureaucrats began forcing employers to hire by racial quota. Racial quotas have not contributed to racial harmony or advanced the goal of a color-blind society. Instead, these quotas encouraged racial balkanization, and fostered racial strife.
Of course, America has made great strides in race relations over the past forty years. However, this progress is due to changes in public attitudes and private efforts. Relations between the races have improved despite, not because of, the 1964 Civil Rights Act."

Indianapolis

#4695 Jan 15, 2014
America is a CONSTITUTIONAL republic; the 14th amendment is part of the constitution. Nowhere does it define "republic" the way you do...nor does anyone outside of some right-wing extremist groups--who haven't read the constitution EITHER.
Reverend Alan wrote:
Rick in Kansas: The couple has not come into the bakery seeking the owner's blessing of their marriage, merely his services as a cake decorator,
ALAN: Exactly!
Rick in Kansas:...which are to be offered regardless of the couple's sexual orientation or not.
ALAN: In a Democracy yes, in a Republic no. Which is America?
Rick in Kansas:He is not required to give his blessings,...
ALAN: Exactly.
Rick in Kansas:... merely provide his services on an equal basis, free of random acts of discrimination based on suspect classifications.
ALAN: In a Democracy yes, in a Republic no. Which is America?
Rick in Kansas:Kind of like going to a cowboy bar and b*tching that they only play country music, don't you think?
ALAN: Exactly right! The gay couple went into a bigot bakery and started bitching about the bigotry.
Rick in Kansas:Probably not, given how the rest of your post goes.
ALAN: I agree completely with your "kind of like going to a cowboy war..." analogy. It is accurate.
Rick in Kansas: You have every right to be in that bar as a heterosexual and a right to all the goods and services on offer.
ALAN: cpeter disagrees with you, if I do not like being forced into homosexual acts I should stay the hell out of bars where that goes on. I consider a gay man groping me forcing me to participate in homosexual acts. Do you? If I can be told to stay out of gay bars why can't gay men be told to stay our of bigot bakeries? Is it different because some one is gay, gays should have the right to say get out but bigots should not because they are bigots? Where does it says one does not have the right to be a bigot?

Indianapolis

#4696 Jan 15, 2014
How clueless were you? I lived in Indiana in the early 70's and knew the Tool Box and stud were hard-core bars. And it's nobody's responsibility but your own to know about places you intend to patronize. In the early 70's, gender discrimination was allowed under the law. As a matter of fact, it still is in many instances due to the nature of some businesses. Frankly, if I was a woman and my bf dragged me to a gay bar, I'd have to wonder what his deal was.
Reverend Alan wrote:
Rick in Kansas:If you do not approve of how the patrons of that bar behave, you not only enjoy the right to go elsewhere (there are many gay bars where you won't ever get groped), you do have the right to press charges against those patrons that feel you up, if you have made it clear that you don't want to be.
ALAN: You haven't been to many gay bars have you. Back in the early 1970's gays would go to leather bars such as The Tool Box at 4th and Harrison St., Febe's and The Stud on Folsom St. because guys were packed in like sardines all rubbing up against one another and groping each other. They went there for that action. I did not have a clue about what was going on and my gay cousin did not tell me in advance. He claims he didn't know either. So I show up with a woman to meet my cousin and I am refused service, so he asks me to meet him again alone so I did. He said the bar was in the back and so there we were like sardines. The only complaint my cousin had was that he wasn't getting groped, he actually wanted it and liked it.

Indianapolis

#4697 Jan 15, 2014
The owners aren't responsible for patrons' actions, is what he's saying.
Reverend Alan wrote:
Rick in Kansas: You getting felt up is not a violation of your rights as a heterosexual to be in that bar by the owners.
ALAN: WHAT? My rights aren't violated when some guys puts his hand on my crotch and starts groping me?
Is that what you really meant to say?

Indianapolis

#4698 Jan 15, 2014
The NGC is one of the most corrupt governing bodies in the country. On the other hand, public sex acts are still illegal there and if she actively approved of them, she WAS in violation. Unless the owner of the Stud was out there telling people to grope the straight boy, it's not the same thing.

The second is about the same ting, though I'm betting serving minors and dealing drugs were a bigger issue.

Your complaint about being groped ISN'T about discrimination at all, since everyone assumed you were, by virtue of being a male in a male gay bar, gay as well.
Reverend Alan wrote:
Rick in Kansas: Because there are laws in place which address the behavior of bigoted bakery owners, but no laws addressing the behavior of the owners of gay bars where random straight men occasionally get groin checks.
ALAN: Oh really?
http://www.vegasinc.com/business/gaming/2013/...
The Nevada Gaming Commission has fined a 79-year-old Las Vegas tavern owner $27,000 and suspended her gaming license for three months for allowing patrons to engage in sexual activities in public view.
http://gamelive.com/forum/showthread.php/7012... ...
Lewd sexual acts, along with drug dealing, underage drinking, inappropriate public attire and illegal gambling are the reasons why Memphis largest gay nightclub was shut down today...

Indianapolis

#4699 Jan 15, 2014
I've never known a gay person who didn't know what gender they were, biologically or psychologically. Neither of us play man or woman; gay men are two men and lesbians are two women. We don't need counterfeit identities.
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
OK queer bakery--OK?
"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.
These guys can't figure what gender they are, understand now.
BTW in these same sex things who plays the man and who plays the woman?
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#4700 Jan 15, 2014
Discrimination is wrong and illegal. baker should be jailed for 5-10 years and lose business....LETS SEND A MESSAGE TO ALL THE TALIBANGICAL FAR RIGHTERS....YOUR HATE AND BIGOTRY WONT RULE WE THE PEOPLE.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#4701 Jan 15, 2014
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>I was a waiter when I was much younger. I had some of the stupidest arrogant people you can imagine. I just did my job. no one showed up in such a shirt,but I probably would have just put my head down and served them their lunch.
it got to the point I could read a table and see who was going to be trouble,who was going to tip well,or stiff me. I gave them all the same service,but the NICER ones,I would give free dessert or coffee or the like. Plus, I paid more attention to their needs. The punks, they got minimum, but adequate, sevice.
I would probably do that to your pals in the mean t-shirts. However, if my other customers were annoyed or put off, I would probably get the manager to deal with it. I once told kids to stop playing noisy video games since it was annoying other diners, same as your pals in the mean t-shirts.
Before you puff up like a toad and accuse me of stealing the restaurant's food, I PAID for the stuff I gave the customers. Unless there was some massive screw up then the management TOLD us to give them freebies.
Will you get real for a second or two. I would never wear such a t-shirt and if you had read any of my previous posts you would understand that I would be against people doing so. Why would you say something like this? Why do you attack me instead of dealing with my message?

Location hidden

#4702 Jan 15, 2014
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>That must have been a major turning point in your life, since you can't stop YAMMERING about it.
Really, HOW many times did that happen? If more than once, whose fault is THAT?
Next you'll tell us you went to a gay bathhouse, for the steam room ONLY, and were highly offended that someone ran his hand down your back.
Seriously, what did you EXPECT in a tough leather bar? Doilies and scones and a tea cozy?
Ah hello, you authoritarians keep bringing it up, I am just responding to what you bring. Why are you falsely accusing me?

I only went that one time. If you gays want to grope each other I am fine with it, and if I went to that kind of place with out knowing what kind of place it was I did what a normal people would do I left. Unlike the gay couple who went to the cops and had the bigot arrested.

So when you were at the gay bath house you let everyone touch you who wanted to? I have found that gay men are the pickest men on earth when it comes to a sex partner, at least in broad daylight. I can't tell you have many times gay people said things to me that put my gay cousin in tears. One really mean queen once asked me right in front of my cousin why I was with him since I could do so much better. Now I am not saying that all gays are mean queens, only that I have met a few who put my gay cousin in tears.

Do you pick on everyone who supports gay people and their struggle for acceptance and equality? Or just the ones who are consistent and say bigots have rights too?

Location hidden

#4703 Jan 15, 2014
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>.
Seriously, what did you EXPECT in a tough leather bar? Doilies and scones and a tea cozy?
I had NEVER been to a leather grope bar before, NEVER! I expected there would be a dance floor, superior drinks at low prices, friendly polite people like in the other gay bars I had been in.
I expected great music. And just so you know it is not the end of the world that a dozen guys groped me, I ONLY mentioned it because of all the inconsistency being thrown at me in this discussion.

You think I am putting gay people down and it is only authoritarianism and inconsistency that I am putting down.

Location hidden

#4704 Jan 15, 2014
cpeter1313 wrote:
Neither involve protected classes, and the latter is just stupid--do they ask before selling tickets? I suppose someone turned down for a sale could take them to court to get a ruling. Sounds pretty stupid to me, but what do you expect from jocks and their owners?
<quoted text>
But going to prison for a year for refusing to bake a cake isn't stupid. Oh Yeah, right!

Location hidden

#4705 Jan 15, 2014
cpeter1313 wrote:
I have exercised no discrimination against you,[nonsense and insults snipped]
<quoted text>
On page 204 message number 4470 you told me if I didn't like being sexually harassed I should leave. While you personally did not throw me out of your bar, you ordered me to leave when I am sexually harassed. You could have said to to the police but you didn't, And I would not have done so even if you had of ordered me to.

You keep trying to make distinctions where none exist.

You are like that KKK leader who said he didn't order any hits he just suggested that "those people" needed dealt with.

Location hidden

#4706 Jan 15, 2014
cpeter1313 wrote:
I
Sorry if I don't care about the opinion of a rich, entitled manchild who's never had to deal with discrimination a day in his life, and who co-opted us to avoid the draft.
<quoted text>
Your memory is shorter than your dick. I have told you many times, only you are too filled with the desire for revenge and hurting me, to remember, that I have been mistaken as my gay cousins boyfriend several times, and I have been discriminated against because I was perceived as being gay.

You are a mean authoritarian cpeter, a very mean person who is not very nice when people refuse to go along with your socialistic democratic sense of right and wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 min Respect71 52,091
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 13 min One 26,188
News Tennessee judge rules gay couples have equal pa... 32 min Barry 3
News Gay men 'to be allowed to donate blood three mo... 35 min Barry 2
News Gay men - to be allowed to donate blood three m... 37 min Barry 2
News Thousands dance through Berlin to promote gay a... 2 hr TerriB1 10
News It's official: Allentown bans gay and trans con... 2 hr weaponX 10
News 12-year-old girl comes out to her Mormon congre... 6 hr Wondering 460
News Gay bar opens near Macon Road, drawing visitors... 9 hr Victor Hugo 486
News Gay couple grilled by judge about their sex liv... 12 hr TomInElPaso 85
News Gay Teen Vogue editor defends mag's anal sex guide 20 hr TomInElPaso 129
More from around the web