New Study: LGBT Seniors Struggle with...

New Study: LGBT Seniors Struggle with Suicide

There are 8 comments on the EDGE story from Jul 11, 2013, titled New Study: LGBT Seniors Struggle with Suicide. In it, EDGE reports that:

Isolated from family and largely living alone, LGBT seniors in San Francisco contemplate taking their own life at an "alarming" rate, a new study has found.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Rueben

Anonymous Proxy

#4 Jul 12, 2013
Good!

“Some people are gay - get over”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#5 Jul 12, 2013
Rueben wrote:
Good!
Whoever you are you are reprehensible.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#6 Jul 12, 2013
I have given this much thought in recent years. If my spouse were to pass away, and I was left alone and of advanced age, I could conceive of committing suicide. I do not want to be old, infirm, and friendless. I can see that it could happen, and I would wish for the courage to just end it. Thankfully, this is not something that is likely to happen within the next 20 years or so, so I have a lot of time to consider it. I also believe that suicide can be a rational alternative to what I have seen of old people and the institutions they inhabit when and if their money runs out.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#7 Jul 12, 2013
RalphB wrote:
I have given this much thought in recent years. If my spouse were to pass away, and I was left alone and of advanced age, I could conceive of committing suicide. I do not want to be old, infirm, and friendless. I can see that it could happen, and I would wish for the courage to just end it. Thankfully, this is not something that is likely to happen within the next 20 years or so, so I have a lot of time to consider it. I also believe that suicide can be a rational alternative to what I have seen of old people and the institutions they inhabit when and if their money runs out.
I would tend to agree with you and as a survivor of parents who both endured long and agonizing deaths from cancer, I would also kill myself if I was diagnosed with a terminal disease that was painful. I don't worry as much about the first situation as my genes and current health conditions don't predispose me to all that many more years. But it is sad that we as gay people don't have a real approach to elders in our community. We tend to either view them as "trolls" should they express a sexual interest in anyone younger or as worthless and out of it if they just want friends.
Bernard

Anonymous Proxy

#10 Jul 12, 2013
This is something people need to think long and hard about before they make that decision to turn their backs on family, friends and God to go live a life of sexual deviance and perversion. In the end when you're all alone with no friends, family or faith is it really going to be worth it?

A a matter of fact I'm going to bring up this subject with my students. Maybe this will make kids think twice before deciding to turn gay. I've already taken them on field trips to San Francisco and into the AIDS wards to show them the REAL face of homosexuality.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#11 Jul 12, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
I would tend to agree with you and as a survivor of parents who both endured long and agonizing deaths from cancer, I would also kill myself if I was diagnosed with a terminal disease that was painful. I don't worry as much about the first situation as my genes and current health conditions don't predispose me to all that many more years. But it is sad that we as gay people don't have a real approach to elders in our community. We tend to either view them as "trolls" should they express a sexual interest in anyone younger or as worthless and out of it if they just want friends.
That's true as a general rule. When I first became active in the gay community I tended bar in what is commonly referred to as a "wrinkle room". I got along well with the older patrons, and became friends with many of them. I always enjoyed hearing their stories about how the gay community was in the "old days". I watched as many of them, even if they were out, and that was few, stayed closeted or re-entered the closet and went to live with family members, or into an "old folks home" It was dreary and depressing. I made it my business to gain as much independence as I could for myself and my spouse so that we would not have to face that end. Sadly, no one can predict what will come, but I do know I will not end in that manner. I'm gay. I'm out. And I want to be that way until I die......even if it has to be by my own hand.
Jenkins

Anonymous Proxy

#12 Jul 12, 2013
Bernard wrote:
This is something people need to think long and hard about before they make that decision to turn their backs on family, friends and God to go live a life of sexual deviance and perversion. In the end when you're all alone with no friends, family or faith is it really going to be worth it?
A a matter of fact I'm going to bring up this subject with my students. Maybe this will make kids think twice before deciding to turn gay. I've already taken them on field trips to San Francisco and into the AIDS wards to show them the REAL face of homosexuality.
Well said sir. I commend you for teaching our children the truth about homosexuality! America needs many more teachers like you.

“Equality First”

St. Louis, MO

#13 Jul 12, 2013
Bernard wrote:
If you truly think people "turn gay" you either are not a teacher with students, or you are a very poor teacher with very unfortunate students. either way, you're not very bright.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Love Wins Again - Episcopal Churches Change The... 6 min True Christian wi... 3
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 7 min Quest 3,317
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 8 min Le Jimbo 640
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 27 min lides 5,804
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 30 min Termiraider 5,243
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 30 min lides 22,837
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 33 min lides 476
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 49 min nhjeff 243
News 'You can't have marriage equality without polyg... 1 hr Imprtnrd 66
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 3 hr Frankie Rizzo 7,045
More from around the web