Pat Buchanan Calls For 'A New Era Of ...

Pat Buchanan Calls For 'A New Era Of Civil Disobedience' Against LGBT Equality

There are 64 comments on the thinkprogress.org story from Apr 17, 2013, titled Pat Buchanan Calls For 'A New Era Of Civil Disobedience' Against LGBT Equality. In it, thinkprogress.org reports that:

As the LGBT community continues to challenge discrimination and win their cases - be it discrimination by florists , bed & breakfasts , or T-shirt printers - conservatives have portrayed themselves as victims, claiming that recognizing LGBT people equally violates their religious beliefs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at thinkprogress.org.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
christina

Mesa, AZ

#1 Apr 17, 2013
Pat Buchanan that old arsehat is still alive? Where's Buffy when ya need her?
Dubya

Roanoke, VA

#2 Apr 17, 2013
Gee, Pat, why don't you try it? If you can find enough bigots, that is. And just what are you going to do when everyone laughs at the old farts trying to block an entrance to a gay bar? It'll probably be one of the most positive activities for gay rights this year!

“Where's my fairy wand!”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#3 Apr 17, 2013
I call for a new era of civil disobedience against Pat Buchanan and his religious beliefs.

What kind of legitimate religion embraces prejudice, hatred and bigotry?

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Apr 17, 2013
He's a Roman Catholic. NOBODY should listen to ANYTHING a Roman Catholic has to say about ANYTHING.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#5 Apr 17, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
He's a Roman Catholic. NOBODY should listen to ANYTHING a Roman Catholic has to say about ANYTHING.
Nobody should listen to anything ANY christian has to say on any subject. The christians should stop proselytizing and keep their worship to themselves inside their churches. If they don't want to serve certain segments of the population such as LGBT or blacks or immigrants then they should stay away from working in government offices or any establishment requiring a public license. From their private homes and churches they can turn away anyone they want, and discriminate to their hearts' content (and certainly already do!) without breaking the law. They have refused to give women equal rights in their homes and churches for centuries and no-one has bothered to stop them.

But in the public sphere the christians' days of entitlement are over. The majority of the public has become wise to their hypocrisy, even here in the US.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#6 Apr 17, 2013
Pat Buchanan is, thankfully much nearer his casket than to the cradle.

.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Apr 17, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody should listen to anything ANY christian has to say on any subject. The christians should stop proselytizing and keep their worship to themselves inside their churches. If they don't want to serve certain segments of the population such as LGBT or blacks or immigrants then they should stay away from working in government offices or any establishment requiring a public license. From their private homes and churches they can turn away anyone they want, and discriminate to their hearts' content (and certainly already do!) without breaking the law. They have refused to give women equal rights in their homes and churches for centuries and no-one has bothered to stop them.
But in the public sphere the christians' days of entitlement are over. The majority of the public has become wise to their hypocrisy, even here in the US.
What about all the Christian denominations and individual Christian churches that support marriage equality and gay rights ? Should they also keep silent ?

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Apr 17, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody should listen to anything ANY christian has to say on any subject. The christians should stop proselytizing and keep their worship to themselves inside their churches. If they don't want to serve certain segments of the population such as LGBT or blacks or immigrants then they should stay away from working in government offices or any establishment requiring a public license. From their private homes and churches they can turn away anyone they want, and discriminate to their hearts' content (and certainly already do!) without breaking the law. They have refused to give women equal rights in their homes and churches for centuries and no-one has bothered to stop them.
But in the public sphere the christians' days of entitlement are over. The majority of the public has become wise to their hypocrisy, even here in the US.
You need to get out more. If you think all Christians are like Buchanan, you're missing a huge segment of the family of believers. Google "Open and affirming churches," and you'll see that, like the battle for civil rights for black people, much of the leadership of the gay rights struggle, along with supporting the anti-war movement, unions, economic justice and other examples of progressive social justice come from within the church.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#9 Apr 17, 2013
The Lutheran Church (ELCA), The Unitec Church of Christ (UCC) and The Epsicopal Church), which together represents a sizable amount of Christians in the U.S., support Equal Marriage RIGHTS for LGBT Americans, and they also allow the marriage of LGBT people in their churches.

If the Roman catholics want to be stuck in the 3rd century, that's there problem, but they have NO RIGHT to try to impose their narrow beliefs, thru civil law, on ALL Americans, ESPECIALLY those who CHOOSE NOT TO BE CATHOLIC !

My younger sister converted from Lutheranism, in which she was baptized as an infant and raised, to Roman Catholicism 10 years ago. I haven't spoken to her since, and never will again.
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Apr 17, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody should listen to anything ANY christian has to say on any subject. The christians should stop proselytizing and keep their worship to themselves inside their churches. If they don't want to serve certain segments of the population such as LGBT or blacks or immigrants then they should stay away from working in government offices or any establishment requiring a public license. From their private homes and churches they can turn away anyone they want, and discriminate to their hearts' content (and certainly already do!) without breaking the law. They have refused to give women equal rights in their homes and churches for centuries and no-one has bothered to stop them.
But in the public sphere the christians' days of entitlement are over. The majority of the public has become wise to their hypocrisy, even here in the US.
Nice to see that you wear your own hate and bigotry so proudly. Considering your sick behavior, do you wonder that some people treat gays badly?
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Apr 17, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody should listen to anything ANY christian has to say on any subject. The christians should stop proselytizing and keep their worship to themselves inside their churches. If they don't want to serve certain segments of the population such as LGBT or blacks or immigrants then they should stay away from working in government offices or any establishment requiring a public license. From their private homes and churches they can turn away anyone they want, and discriminate to their hearts' content (and certainly already do!) without breaking the law. They have refused to give women equal rights in their homes and churches for centuries and no-one has bothered to stop them.
But in the public sphere the christians' days of entitlement are over. The majority of the public has become wise to their hypocrisy, even here in the US.
Let's change a few words around to clearly illustrate what a sick (not to mention hypocritical) bastard you are. "Nobody should listen to anything ANY gay person has to say on any subject. Gays should stop proselytizing and keep their activities to themselves inside their gay bars.

"In the public sphere the gays' days of special treatment are over. The majority of the public has become wise to their hypocrisy, even here in the US."

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#12 Apr 17, 2013
Please, Pat, set yourself on fire in protest

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#13 Apr 17, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Let's change a few words around to clearly illustrate what a sick (not to mention hypocritical) bastard you are. "Nobody should listen to anything ANY gay person has to say on any subject. Gays should stop proselytizing and keep their activities to themselves inside their gay bars.
"In the public sphere the gays' days of special treatment are over. The majority of the public has become wise to their hypocrisy, even here in the US."
You can change the words all you like but it still doesn't make it the truth. Gays never PROSELYTIZE for others to turn gay because they know that is not possible. We have consistently maintained that all people are born with their sexual orientation and nothing you or I say will change them. I don't know any gays who have ever publicly called for christians to be stripped of their civil rights or to be treated less equally than ourselves. If you know of such examples you are free to mention them here (with adequate proof of course).

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#14 Apr 17, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Nice to see that you wear your own hate and bigotry so proudly. Considering your sick behavior, do you wonder that some people treat gays badly?
I despise christianity by will never turn any individual christian away from my place of business, nor treat them with anything less than common courtesy. Some christians have been very kind to me, yes -- out of basic human decency, not because they wanted to convert me to christianity. But the likes of Pat Buchanan should start treating others as they themselves would like to be treated.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#15 Apr 17, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
The Lutheran Church (ELCA), The Unitec Church of Christ (UCC) and The Epsicopal Church), which together represents a sizable amount of Christians in the U.S., support Equal Marriage RIGHTS for LGBT Americans, and they also allow the marriage of LGBT people in their churches.
If the Roman catholics want to be stuck in the 3rd century, that's there problem, but they have NO RIGHT to try to impose their narrow beliefs, thru civil law, on ALL Americans, ESPECIALLY those who CHOOSE NOT TO BE CATHOLIC !
My younger sister converted from Lutheranism, in which she was baptized as an infant and raised, to Roman Catholicism 10 years ago. I haven't spoken to her since, and never will again.
You hate Catholicism, Foxy -- we get it -- but you are not going to convince that if I go through the Midwest every single Lutheran there is in favor of gays. That is simply not true. If individual Lutherans are accepting of gays that is great -- but certainly NOT attributable to their particular brand of christianity.

It is interesting to me, however, that you practice excommunication just like many christians do. They themselves are self-righteous, but anyone who disagrees with them has to be cast out as if that person has already been consigned to Hell, even a family member?! Nice. As much as you condemn Catholics, you yourself are no different. You may support gay rights because you happen to be gay, but you practice most of the despicable beliefs that are characteristic of the majority of christianity. If it quacks like a duck ...

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#16 Apr 17, 2013
OkieDarren wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to get out more. If you think all Christians are like Buchanan, you're missing a huge segment of the family of believers. Google "Open and affirming churches," and you'll see that, like the battle for civil rights for black people, much of the leadership of the gay rights struggle, along with supporting the anti-war movement, unions, economic justice and other examples of progressive social justice come from within the church.
Oh I do get out plenty, OkieDarren, and you are right of course -- there are indeed many inside christianity who detest the evils that have been perpetrated throughout history in the name of that faith. I suspect many of the 'family of believers' have joined in a chorus of protest as a direct result of what they see happening inside christianity. No, of course all christians are not like Pat Buchanan, and I apologize if I give that impression. But regrettably the whole batch has become fermented through the ages, and people are better off raising their individual voices in protest rather than associating themselves with that virulent strain of religion.

I gave 20% of my life (thus far) working full time to promote christianity -- if there is a christian god that ought to count for something, right? And if he (she? it?) is a righteous entity, then I ought to be given credit for speaking out against injustices. Only ... I no longer choose to do it in the name of christianity, or of Christ, or of Saint Paul, or ... whatever. Now I speak out when I see hypocritical people shun others, instead of loving their neighbors as themselves, or calling people "pure evil" whom they do not even know. No amount of support for gay causes can cancel out such vile behavior in the name of ANY religion. Even worse, when it is done while professing to be a devout believer, that is hypocrisy.

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#17 Apr 17, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Let's change a few words around to clearly illustrate what a sick (not to mention hypocritical) bastard you are. "Nobody should listen to anything ANY gay person has to say on any subject. Gays should stop proselytizing and keep their activities to themselves inside their gay bars.
"In the public sphere the gays' days of special treatment are over. The majority of the public has become wise to their hypocrisy, even here in the US."
Well said, the libs gay or not, want to silence the majority and impose their anti-Christian, anti-family agenda down on all of us.

They are indoctrinating kids with hollywoods help. You can't even sign online without 10 pro-gay "news" stories.

“Stop the liberal madness”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#18 Apr 17, 2013
TomInElPaso wrote:
Pat Buchanan is, thankfully much nearer his casket than to the cradle.
.
The day that conservatives like Buchanan are not around is the day you and your gay friends will be living under the wrath of Islam and than you will cry "Christians please help us" and I wil yell back "You got what you wanted so enjoy".

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#19 Apr 17, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
The Lutheran Church (ELCA), The Unitec Church of Christ (UCC) and The Epsicopal Church), which together represents a sizable amount of Christians in the U.S., support Equal Marriage RIGHTS for LGBT Americans, and they also allow the marriage of LGBT people in their churches.
If the Roman catholics want to be stuck in the 3rd century, that's there problem, but they have NO RIGHT to try to impose their narrow beliefs, thru civil law, on ALL Americans, ESPECIALLY those who CHOOSE NOT TO BE CATHOLIC !
My younger sister converted from Lutheranism, in which she was baptized as an infant and raised, to Roman Catholicism 10 years ago. I haven't spoken to her since, and never will again.
Excuse me for being ignorant about the Lutheran Church. All I know is the history of Martin Luther's war against the Catholic Church, which judging from your comments seems to be going on to this day. In search of answers, I consulted About.com , which gave me the following explanation about the Lutheran family of churches:

"Question: What is the Lutheran Church's Position on Homosexuality?

Answer: Many denominations have differing views on homosexuality. The Lutheran Church is no different. There are even differing views among Lutheran groups.... There is a clear difference between Evangelical Lutheran movements and traditional Lutheran churches. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is still in the process of developing a social statement directly related to homosexuality, yet they do call all Christians to respect all people, regardless of sexual orientation. The church will allow for the ordination of homosexuals to be ministers, but they are expected to abstain from homosexual sexual relationships.
Other Lutheran churches make a distinction between homosexual orientation and homosexual behavior. For instance, the Lutheran Church of Australia believes that sexual orientation is not controlled by the individual, but denies a genetic propensity. The church does not condemn nor judge homosexuality and claims the Bible is silent on homosexual orientation. Homosexuals are welcomed into the congregation.
Meanwhile the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod has adopted the belief that homosexuality is contrary to Bible teaching, and encourages members to minister to homosexuals. Again, it does not state that homosexuality is a conscious choice, but still contends that homosexual behavior is sinful."

So Foxy, feel free to correct any of the points mentioned in the above quotation from About.com . Also help us understand which of the many Lutheran branches you are affiliated with. And do you despise the anti-gay Lutheran branches as much as you hate Catholicism?(Just wondering).

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#20 Apr 17, 2013
luv Sarah Palin wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said, the libs gay or not, want to silence the majority and impose their anti-Christian, anti-family agenda down on all of us.
They are indoctrinating kids with hollywoods help. You can't even sign online without 10 pro-gay "news" stories.
We have never had an "anti-family" agenda. My partner and I raised our children just like most other families in America, teaching our children to respect all people. We took them to school, washed their clothes, kept a clean house, helped them with homework, and had meals around the dinner table. Having been raised by a father and a mother, I have never had any objection to families with heterosexual parents. It is a beautiful thing when that is possible. But all along I've had to explain to my children why it is that there were people such as yourself who hated us and consistently tried to prevent us from being a family. What you expected me to do with my biological children other than raise them in a family setting is beyond me. Or were my children somehow less deserving of loving care than the children of straight single parents? And you're surprised that I am so bitter about the 'christian' anti-marriage agenda!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 10 min Bruce Chee 68,969
News Parade kicks off Erie's pride festival 47 min Homophobe pride 7
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 58 min Big C 16,017
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr Terra Firma 38,811
News Gay group puts heat on Sizzla*Aug. 27, 2016, 11... 3 hr Wholly Silicon Wafer 2
News Not 'old white guys' - Shriners to ride in Calg... 4 hr Wholly Silicon Wafer 2
News Study: Children Of Same-Sex Parents More Likely... 4 hr Rose_NoHo 81
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 6 hr June VanDerMark 11,315
More from around the web