Boy Scouts Could Lose Tax-Exempt Stat...

Boy Scouts Could Lose Tax-Exempt Status in California Because of Gay Ban

There are 100 comments on the www.towleroad.com story from Feb 20, 2013, titled Boy Scouts Could Lose Tax-Exempt Status in California Because of Gay Ban. In it, www.towleroad.com reports that:

A new bill proposed by openly gay California state senator Ricardo Lara would strip the Boy Scouts' tax exempt status for discriminating against members and leaders on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, LGBT POV reports

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.towleroad.com.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#81 Feb 21, 2013
Use of disease transmission information in the attempt to demonize all gay people, ingores that most gay men are not infected, and also ignores that the female half of the gay population is the lowest risk group for HIV. It also ignores that more straight people are infected worldwide, and more straight people do everything gay people do. Yet we don't use that to restrict their equal rights.

Disease transmission information demonstrates the value of encouraging committed monogamous relationships through marriage. It also demonstrates the importance of comprehensive education about disease transmission and risk reduction.

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#83 Feb 21, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you happen to see the Westboro Church animus brief to the Supreme Court? Even the anti-gay WBC claims same sex marriage was legal before the time of Noah. They ignore other documentation showing the acceptance of same sex relationships around the world at other places and times, but even they admit it happened. From the brief:
"Another Midrash says that males just didn’t sodomize other males, but that they signed ketobot (marriage contracts) legalizing these re-lationships."
Yea, I saw it..Good let them sink themselves and the case. Everyone knows just how horrible these people are and it puts a good face to the hate, wackiness. and NON-justification.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#85 Feb 21, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the founders were well aware there were social forces beyond their control at the time. Just as I am, and I believe you are, aware the world still fails to live up to the civilization we can imagine.
That is why they stated universal truths, rather than encoding society as it was, in the Constitution and Bill of Rights. "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal,". They didn't say some, but all. Elsewhere, the say "all persons". I think they knew what they were doing, even though they knew they couldn't make it happen in their lifetimes.
"Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight. They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress. As the Constitution endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom." (Justice Kennedy in Lawrence.)
Except for the whole slaves being counted as 3/5th of a person.......

But in general I agree with you. They attempted to state an ideal even though they knew they themselves failed to live up to that ideal.

That's one reason I don't believe it's necessary to amend the constitution to guarantee women or blacks the right to vote or gays to marry. I feel that's an appropriate role of the SCOTUS.

AOL

#86 Feb 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for the whole slaves being counted as 3/5th of a person.......
But in general I agree with you. They attempted to state an ideal even though they knew they themselves failed to live up to that ideal.
That's one reason I don't believe it's necessary to amend the constitution to guarantee women or blacks the right to vote or gays to marry. I feel that's an appropriate role of the SCOTUS.
Even the 3/5ths thing was a compromise between those who wanted to do away with slavery and those rich folks whose wealth depended on it.

I can imagine a world run on renewable resources, and where everyone is treated equally under the law throughout the world. But I'm forced to live in the present time, using what tools progress has given us so far, while pushing for a better future. I believe most of the founders had a similar outlook.

Again, that is why they tried to make statements of universal truth. They knew the principals of the golden rule, if not how to translate it into the world around them. They also knew of the inquisitions, and atrocities that result from authoritarian societies, and the importance of equal law. I think they knew they were just beginning a long process toward a world they could only imagine. And we're not there yet. We're not yet equal.

I agree we shouldn't need to amend the constitution. It already requires equal treatment for all persons. We just need SCOTUS to affirm, as they did in Romer, and Lawrence, that we are persons under the law.

AOL

#87 Feb 21, 2013
Most gay men and women are not infected with any disease. Gay women are the lowest risk group, far behind heterosexual women and men.

Disease transmission information has always been used to demonize and dehumanize populations targeted for punishment. It was used to justify inter-racial segregation, and continues to be used today, despite the fact we don't deny equal rights based on disease, and straight folks become infected with all of the same diseases and even more straight people do all of the same things gay people do.

Disease transmission information demonstrates the value of encouraging committed monogamous relationships through marriage.

It also demonstrates the importance of comprehensive education about disease transmission and risk reduction. It fails as an excuse for denial of equal fundamental rights.

Uve

Location hidden

#88 Feb 21, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
LIAR
CDC: Homosexual men account for 63% of new HIV infections but only 2% of population
LOL If your so concerned about it, then I guess you'd better stop 'toe tapp'n' in airports and public parks! POS

Tawas City, Michigan

#89 Feb 21, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Even the 3/5ths thing was a compromise between those who wanted to do away with slavery and those rich folks whose wealth depended on it.
I can imagine a world run on renewable resources, and where everyone is treated equally under the law throughout the world. But I'm forced to live in the present time, using what tools progress has given us so far, while pushing for a better future. I believe most of the founders had a similar outlook.
Again, that is why they tried to make statements of universal truth. They knew the principals of the golden rule, if not how to translate it into the world around them. They also knew of the inquisitions, and atrocities that result from authoritarian societies, and the importance of equal law. I think they knew they were just beginning a long process toward a world they could only imagine. And we're not there yet. We're not yet equal.
I agree we shouldn't need to amend the constitution. It already requires equal treatment for all persons. We just need SCOTUS to affirm, as they did in Romer, and Lawrence, that we are persons under the law.
I often wonder what the founders would think if they could see society today. I'd like to think they would say- "good job, but you've still got work to do......"

Tawas City, Michigan

#90 Feb 21, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Most gay men and women are not infected with any disease. Gay women are the lowest risk group, far behind heterosexual women and men.
Disease transmission information has always been used to demonize and dehumanize populations targeted for punishment. It was used to justify inter-racial segregation, and continues to be used today, despite the fact we don't deny equal rights based on disease, and straight folks become infected with all of the same diseases and even more straight people do all of the same things gay people do.
Disease transmission information demonstrates the value of encouraging committed monogamous relationships through marriage.
It also demonstrates the importance of comprehensive education about disease transmission and risk reduction. It fails as an excuse for denial of equal fundamental rights.
I finally read the novel "The Help" and was still suprised by the bigotry on such a personal level. The fact that bathrooms were segregated primarily because whites thought blacks had different diseases than white people.

And of course the federal govt intentionally infecting black men with syphilis (without their knowledge or consent) to see if they reacted the same way to the disease as white men.

Amazing, simply amazing......
Jaime Perez

United States

#91 Feb 21, 2013
Not a good idea to leave your daughters alone with a straight teacher.http://dfw.cbslocal.co m/2013/02/21/high-school-coach -arrested-for-sexually-assault ing-student/#respond
Jaime Perez

United States

#92 Feb 21, 2013

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#93 Feb 21, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
LIAR
CDC: Homosexual men account for 63% of new HIV infections but only 2% of population
Thu Aug 23, 2012 19:22 EST
Comments (33)
WASHINGTON, D.C., August 23, 2012 - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control has estimated that practicing homosexual men account for 61% of the new HIV infections in the United States while they only amount to about 2% of the country’s population.
Earlier this month, the CDC released estimates for HIV infections from 2006-2009 showing that new infections remained stable at around 50,000 for each of the four years.
Homosexual men (men who have sex with men) accounted for 29,300 of the estimated 48,100 new infections in 2009, and homosexual men aged 13 to 29 accounted for 27% of the new cases.
The only group in which new HIV infections is increasing, they say, is young homosexual men – driven by an alarming increase in infections from African Americans. They estimated that the new infections among young black homosexual men increased 48 percent in the period of 2006-2009 (from 4,400 HIV infections in 2006 to 6,500 infections in 2009).
The study also revealed that almost 20% of homosexual men have HIV, while nearly half of those who do are unaware of it.
www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/FastFacts-M ...
Which clearly means the vast majority of gay people do not have and will never get HIV.

**If** you are really so concerned about HIV (which I doubt) then you MUST support gay marriage, which by its very nature diminishes the spread of all STD's, just like straight marriage does.

Otherwise you're just a hypocrite using HIV as an excuse for your prejudice.
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#96 Feb 22, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
You fking queers are a vessel for diseases. Born liars and freaks of nature.
Honey, you are the one that is lying. You know the information you spread is bogus, but you spread it anyway. Do you think that will make your same sex attractions go away?

Uve

Location hidden

#97 Feb 22, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's concerned queer? Just pointing out that you queers are nothing but liars. That's very obvious though. You freaks are born liars.
And what am I lying about? That you're a a f(_)cking old perverted hater and a closet case? Looks like I was right on, coward.It's not me that has to keep changing their handle and can't register on here because of hate speech. We all know who you are. F(_)ck off..POS

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#98 Feb 22, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
You fking queers are a vessel for diseases. Born liars and freaks of nature.
Speaking of liars, don't you HATE unregistered little cowards who use multiple names? Sometimes they even use their fake persona to plaster happy icons on their ramblings. Do YOU know anyone like that?

Uve

Location hidden

#102 Feb 22, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
The number 1 queer like that is Mona AKA various user names
They are all registered asstroll, unlike YOU! So what are you today? Ralph, Klaus, Righteous 1, Boris, Cletus, Nicolai, Brian, The troll Stopper, RevKen..Or maybe you'll be Luke, Samatha? You've been known to even use other peoples handles including mine. Now f(_)ck off and go count the hairs on your ass for something to do..POS
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#103 Feb 22, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
HONEY, it's true and you know it. Even have the links to prove it. Now go away, you reek of the nasty smell of a queer.
Oh puh-leez. You have nothing.
Xavier Breath

West New York, NJ

#104 Feb 22, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
The number 1 queer like that is Mona AKA various user names
Do you think these silly posts of yours prove you aren't gay?

[email protected]

Uve

Location hidden

#109 Feb 22, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually queer, they are not all registered. Mona Lott, Rainbow Kid, David Traversa, just to name a few. Even if some are registered, doesn't keep them from using multiple user names, which they do. Even in some cases, like Snyper, posting unregistered under a different name. So su:ck it up queer and face the truth, which is something you freaks hate to do.
Wrong..C(_)ntlicker...YOU by far are the worst cowardly piece of sh*t on here..F(_)ck off.

Uve

Location hidden

#110 Feb 22, 2013
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
Is that because you can't defend the medical evidence so you want a shot at attacking , yes, in homosexual fashion ATTACKING the messenger?

publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd/docs/Shigellosi...
<quoted text>
Wondered how long it would take for your regular dose of misinformation and bigoted Bullsh*t.. SKAT Queen

AOL

#111 Feb 22, 2013
Again, most gay men and women are not infected with any disease.

Gay women are the lowest risk group, far behind heterosexual women and men.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 min Respect71 38,677
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 15 min Big C 15,652
News Pastors Rarely Asked to Wed Same-Sex Couples 24 min WasteWater 49
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 29 min June VanDerMark 11,259
Little Robbie's Room 37 min Little Robbie 1
News This gay Senate candidate is running in the lan... 2 hr Cornfused 14
News Trump donates $100k to anti-LGBT Pastor 3 hr Marrion 7
Dying off like flies 6 hr Rainbow Kid 18
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 10 hr Skippy 68,943
News Navy names ship after gay rights advocate Harve... 16 hr Frankie Rizzo 162
More from around the web