Gay weddings: Will they be legal in June?

Dec 10, 2012 | Posted by: DNF | Full story: news.yahoo.com

The Supreme Court on Friday set in motion its constitutional machinery on the issue of same-sex marriage, probably producing a result in June, the most popular month for weddings. Friday thus marked a bold beginning, especially in the face of the reality that the court could have chosen to stay away from the issue altogether, but deliberately chose not to do so.

But the path from this beginning to the June outcome will be, for the justices, more like finding their way through a garden maze: the end at times will seem quite elusive. And, in this instance, the end might not be a clearly defined one: either that gay weddings will be made legal nationwide, or that states will remain free to ban them if that is their choice.

Between now and one of those clear results, there is a daunting series of turns. Too much can be made of that fact, though, and that would take away from the historic importance of what the court has begun. Aside from a fleeting look 40 years ago at a legally forlorn plea to allow a Minnesota gay couple to marry, the court until now had never seriously pondered the question.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of67
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Whatever the Justices rule with regards to both DOMA, Section 3 and Prop 8.......the rulings WON'T affect the validity or legality of the marriages that are already legal or will be legal before the ruling comes in June of 2013......just whether Same-Sex Couples will be allowed to marry in California or whether our legal marriages will have federal benefits and recognition!!!!

I know my wife and I are seriously hoping for a ruling that will be in our favor....but remain cautiously realistic that the worse could come!!!!

Since: Jan 08

Si Racha, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

Scalia needs to recuse himself for the many prejudicial anti-gay statements he has made. If not, he should be impeached.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

In the meantime we'll likely gain marriage equality in Illinois, Rhode Island, and Delaware by June.

That would put us at 12 states plus DC, which will only have a positive influence on the SCOTUS.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

They're already legal, just not recognized by all states or the federal govt.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea yea, legal in only 9 states and illegal in 41 states, and out of the 41 states, 30 have bans on ssm. Thats Right Fa$$ot.
Hey R1.....NOT illegal, just not recognized!!!

Your numbers don't add up either because 2 states don't have bans or anything regarding the right to marry......and some states have some legal recognition with regards to Civil Unions and DP's.......only 31 actually have constitutional amendments not allowing Same-Sex Couples the right to marry and that will change as well!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid Fa$$ot, I'm not R1 and I'm not wrong. If you believe that I am, look it up. I'm telling you that 9 states allow ssm where 41 do not. Out of the 41, 30 states have written bans against ssm in their state Constitution. Check the AP in Washington if you choose to. Doesn't matter to me. You Fa$$ots never recognize the truth anyway, not even if it's staring you in the face.
Whatever, but you are a troll and I'm telling you that your numbers aren't correct because both Wyoming and New Mexico have NO BANS on who can get married........that shoots your numbers and here ya go to show what states have what:
http://graphics.latimes.com/usmap-gay-marriag...

Since: Jan 08

Si Racha, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea yea, legal in only 9 states and illegal in 41 states, and out of the 41 states, 30 have bans on ssm. Thats Right Fa$$ot.
Disregard this jerk. He's still sore romney lost plus 3 states voted FOR gay marriage. His teeny, tiny, small world is crashing all around him. I imagine he's also into heavy masturbating which isn't helping at all... lots of warts, you know.

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
Whatever the Justices rule with regards to both DOMA, Section 3 and Prop 8.......the rulings WON'T affect the validity or legality of the marriages that are already legal or will be legal before the ruling comes in June of 2013......just whether Same-Sex Couples will be allowed to marry in California or whether our legal marriages will have federal benefits and recognition!!!!
I know my wife and I are seriously hoping for a ruling that will be in our favor....but remain cautiously realistic that the worse could come!!!!
I agree.

I believe it is almost certain that gay people will once again be allowed to marry in Calie in June after the Supremes make their decsion known in teh Prop. 8 case. I expect that either they will say the petitioners have no standing and dismiss the case, thus allowing the fedeal appeals court decision to stand, or, if they do rule on the merits of the case, they will affirm the appeals court ruling. Either way, I think gay marriages will resume in Cali in June.

In the DOMA case, they may also rule that the petitioners, in this case, Congress, also has no standing. While the standing of congress in such a case may seem obvious, I do not believe there has ever been a case where congress has petitioned SCOTUS, because the Solicitor General has refused todefend teh constitutionality of a federal law.

Thus, like the Prop. 8 case, the DOMA case may also be dismised by SCOTUS based on congress having no standing. If they do hear the case, I am 98% certain that SCOTUS will rule DOMA unconstitutioonal.

If they do that, then it's a shame we can't impeach that bastard Bill Clinton again for signing it in the first place.

On the BRIGHT SIDE, we COULD impeach The Obamaniac !

:)

Uve

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You Fa$$ots like disregarding the truth. It seems to be a trademark for Queers. As for you, Shiteater, get your nasty Queer A$$ back underneath the shithouse.
So this is a response for being singled out? Right..I thought it was BS when you stated it...Better copy this one, might get deleted for hate speech.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Illegal in 41? There are tons of SSM couples in the states that ban them. No arrests or civil charges. It's not illegal to have a SSM anywhere in the country dolt.

You're not very bright are you?
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Grow up guy. Or don't you have the balls to do so?
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
He attacked me first. What do you expect me to do, turn the other check????

“ WOOF !”

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

TomInElPaso wrote:
Grow up guy. Or don't you have the balls to do so?
<quoted text>
Why do you and others here even bother to respond to him and Pekin ? Just ignore them.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid Fa$$ot, I'm not R1 and I'm not wrong. If you believe that I am, look it up. I'm telling you that 9 states allow ssm where 41 do not. Out of the 41, 30 states have written bans against ssm in their state Constitution. Check the AP in Washington if you choose to. Doesn't matter to me. You Fa$$ots never recognize the truth anyway, not even if it's staring you in the face.
Same sex marriage is not illegal in any of the states or territories
If it were illegal; ssm couples could be arrested and thrown in jail
as it stands; a cop won't even write them a ticket
The worst that can happen is for the mormon diaper daddies to wrestle you to the ground and lock you up with 'church owned' handcuffs; which is also not legal
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate it when I have to spoon feed you Fa$$ots.
Ok Fa$$ot, let me phrase it the way it's written: You want some facts: Same sex marriage is allowed in only 9 states and not allowed in 41 states, and out of the 41 states, 30 have written gay marriage bans in their state constitution. Thats The facts Fa$$ot, are you going to dispute that????
Yes
Dan C

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
He attacked me first. What do you expect me to do, turn the other check????
**Sniff**

***Sniff***

---Need Kleenex???
Dan C

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate it when I have to spoon feed you Fa$$ots.
Ok Fa$$ot, let me phrase it the way it's written: You want some facts: Same sex marriage is allowed in only 9 states and not allowed in 41 states, and out of the 41 states, 30 have written gay marriage bans in their state constitution. Thats The facts Fa$$ot, are you going to dispute that????
The facts revolve themselves about this gay marriage aspect being a basic civil right amongst fellow Americans.

And if you're to look at the present it was less than 9 states in the past given this is a growing reality we should let gay marriage take place.

The truth must just FREAK you out Junior...LOL!!!!
Dan C

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical Fa$$ot, born liars, never admit the truth, no matter what.
That's you Fa$$ots code to live by. Sad
I'm straight.

I saw no lies...only those you spun freak.

And what's a 'fassot'???

LOL!!!

Get lost punk.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical Fa$$ot, born liars, never admit the truth, no matter what.
That's you Fa$$ots code to live by. Sad
Arrest me
Dan C

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
No Fa$$ot, I don't. Just saying, you can't be nice to you freaks so no need trying.
Well dickhead....I'm no 'fa$$ot' and you're the farthest thing from being nice yet you're in this thread crying like a newborn being delivered into a cold delivery room bitching that you don't get a pleasant response after you lashed out at another.

LOL!!!

It's a little hypocritical don't you think idiot?

LOL!!!
Dan C

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Get that ugly head out of your A$$ and you'll comprehend a little better. Fa$$ot is universal. It's needs no introduction or interpretation.
"Fa$$ot" is universally?

Really.

So if I go to Japan and advise I saw a "fa$$ot" they'd understand?

I think not you balless loser.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of67
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••