Anti-gay religious group gets funding from Canadian government to work in Africa

Feb 10, 2013 Full story: CFRB 56

An evangelical organization that describes homosexuality as a "perversion" and a "sin" is receiving funding from the Government of Canada for its work in Uganda, where gays and lesbians face severe threats.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1 Feb 10, 2013
At least two purposes of missionary work serve the religious faction: Spreading their philosophy to those they contact in new locations, and providing propaganda that can be used to raise esteem and money at home. When the government funds faith-based missions, the faith may not need to spend any money at all to achieve these goals.

The ability to influence public opinion and politics abroad should not be underestimated. Liberal governments should be wary of leveraging foreign aid dollars through religion-based conduits. But there are many politicians who view this as an opportunity both to leverage expenditures and to promote agendas abroad that the government could never promote in the sunlight of open government.
Here Kitty Kitty

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Feb 10, 2013
Canada financially supporting anti-gay terrorist groups?
Feed 'em to the lions
with extra sauce

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#3 Feb 10, 2013
The Canadian government is really a "piece of work", isn't it?
They really seem to have more of a "problem" with homosexuality than most developed/civilized countries.
They even tried to BAN "Money Ain't for Nothing" by Dire Straits because of the lyrics (you know, the part where they sing "That little fa gg ots got his own jet airplane, that little fa gg ot, he's a millionaire!" Honestly.
The Canadian Rock Radio Stations protested by playing that song non-stop the day after the so-called "ban" went into effect.
Unreal. What governments will do, eh?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Feb 10, 2013
Wiener52 wrote:
The Canadian government is really a "piece of work", isn't it?
They really seem to have more of a "problem" with homosexuality than most developed/civilized countries.
They even tried to BAN "Money Ain't for Nothing" by Dire Straits because of the lyrics (you know, the part where they sing "That little fa gg ots got his own jet airplane, that little fa gg ot, he's a millionaire!" Honestly.
The Canadian Rock Radio Stations protested by playing that song non-stop the day after the so-called "ban" went into effect.
Unreal. What governments will do, eh?
How's that marriage equality bill coming in Hawaii? Does it include the federal benefits normally associated with marriage? Does it require employers with self-funded health insurance to cover same-sex spouses?

Rocks. Glass houses.
Briony

London, UK

#5 Feb 10, 2013
Hot as hell,sends pics&up for anything! 2a9bc836

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6 Feb 10, 2013
Here Kitty Kitty wrote:
Feed 'em to the lions
with extra sauce
You leave my kitties ALONE !!

Location hidden

#7 Feb 10, 2013
The British Commonwealth still really has a problem with separating church from State.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#8 Feb 10, 2013
In Canada thankfully we've had legal equality for same-sex marriages for a decade now, and legal protections put in place to ensure that LGBT citizens are treated equally.

The problem is that currently the Conservatives are in charge in the federal government. They are our equivalent of the USA's Republican party -- and the Conservatives often take their cues from US Republicans.

There are enough checks and balances in place in Canada, and enough fair-minded Canadians, that I expect this will get taken care of soon. The Canadian media doesn't suck up to the Conservatives the way US media tends to suck up to Republicans.

Location hidden

#9 Feb 10, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
In Canada thankfully we've had legal equality for same-sex marriages for a decade now, and legal protections put in place to ensure that LGBT citizens are treated equally.
The problem is that currently the Conservatives are in charge in the federal government. They are our equivalent of the USA's Republican party -- and the Conservatives often take their cues from US Republicans.
There are enough checks and balances in place in Canada, and enough fair-minded Canadians, that I expect this will get taken care of soon. The Canadian media doesn't suck up to the Conservatives the way US media tends to suck up to Republicans.
Are Canadians too polite to use the media to shame these cretins?

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

Regina

#10 Feb 10, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't need to. When there's a Conservative in power, the primarily left-wing media in Canada goes into rabid pit-bull mode.
And if they can't get any real "dirt" on the PM, ie: slow news day, then they either make shit up or blow things way out of proportion.

Chagrin Falls, OH

#12 Feb 11, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
The story is getting lots of coverage in lots of Canadian media. It's already prompted a review from the federal Conservatives (because they know they can't ignore it) and the story is being reported on even in Canada's right-wing media like the Globe and Mail.(I didn't see the Toronto Sun covering the story though -- they fancy themselves Fox News North.)

Chagrin Falls, OH

#13 Feb 11, 2013
Here's an update on the news item from a right-wing news source in Canada: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/11/canad...

It just goes to show that in Canada the majority of our conservative politicians haven't been taken over by the extremists like the Republican party has in the USA.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#14 Feb 11, 2013
Here Kitty Kitty wrote:
Feed 'em to the lions
with extra sauce
Actually, isn't the US government funding religious NGO's to an even larger degree? Or has Obama been able to stop that?

Toronto, ON, Canada

#15 Feb 11, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
Here's an update on the news item from a right-wing news source in Canada: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/11/canad...
It just goes to show that in Canada the majority of our conservative politicians haven't been taken over by the extremists like the Republican party has in the USA.
I know this is off-topic, but I wish all politicians in Canada would become a little more attuned to the hidden and unspoken xenophobia in the Canadians workplace, at all levels. At least Tim Hudak gave voice to that xenophobia so one can credit him for not being a hyprocrite. No one in the US EVER uses the terms "new American" or "United States Experience" in referring to legal immigrants and their working skills.(Mostly, they are too busy grousing about undocumented ones, whom they wrongly assume are all Mexican.)
Cana

Burnaby, Canada

#16 Feb 11, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
I know this is off-topic, but I wish all politicians in Canada would become a little more attuned to the hidden and unspoken xenophobia in the Canadians workplace, at all levels. At least Tim Hudak gave voice to that xenophobia so one can credit him for not being a hyprocrite. No one in the US EVER uses the terms "new American" or "United States Experience" in referring to legal immigrants and their working skills.(Mostly, they are too busy grousing about undocumented ones, whom they wrongly assume are all Mexican.)
Are you serious "hidden xenophobia"...except for the shrilljacks/jills on this site I have heard Canadians speak of undercutting contracts/vendors/ and lowing the salaries levels of different industries.

What do you expect when a country has had mass immigration over the past thirty years, yet we are voted time and again one of the best countries in the world to live and work.

Please explain this hidden xenaphobia you speak of.

Chagrin Falls, OH

#17 Feb 11, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
In the USA the xenophobia and racism tends to not be hidden away so much as flaunted proudly.

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#18 Feb 11, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
How's that marriage equality bill coming in Hawaii? Does it include the federal benefits normally associated with marriage? Does it require employers with self-funded health insurance to cover same-sex spouses?
Rocks. Glass houses.
At least the government of the State isn't paying an "Anti-gay religious group" to spread "stink" like Canada's aledgedly is! This state has come a long way (albeit slowly) in trying to equalize "marriage rights".

Got problems with that? How's New Hampshire doing in that arena? Any better?

Toronto, ON, Canada

#19 Feb 11, 2013
Cana wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious ...
To give a simple example, in the realm of health care:
We currently have a nursing shortage. Yet the College of Nurses of Ontario refuses to recognize almost any set of qualifications from outside Ontario nursing schools. My ex-partner and current housemate had an RN degree in Russia and was actually qualified as a physician's assistant. He is 41 and was educated right after the Soviet break-up. At that time, Russia still had the very hight standards of technical education the former Soviet Union did (whatever you think of that entity, it did a very good job of educating people in science and technology). He was not allowed to sit for an RN exam here - they wanted him to go back to school for four years! Nursing is nursing - other than knowledge of some local regulations, it does not differ greatly from one place to another.
They did allow him to sit for an RPN exam. He was thinking of taking a short review course just to make sure he understood Canadian practice techniques. But he went to a local college at that time and was told "no one from your country ever passes the exam" without a ton of coursework at high expenditure of both time and expense. He told them this was BS and studied on his own, easiliy passing the exam at first sitting.
Another example: My other housemate, who is my ex's husband, is a recent immigrant from Italy. He has a 30 year background in municipal work as a city clerk. He did not really expect to be able to get a city job here, so took a course to become a security guard and passed the licensing exam. He recently interviewed with a firm here. They gave a pre-qualifying test to him. Of 15 questions, 14 were about English knowledge and only one was about security practice. And the ones about English knowledge were far beyond what is needed of a security guard. For example, they asked about the meanings of words like "whereas", which is hardly ever used in everyday speech.(Remember, his English was sufficient to pass the licensing exam for the province.) Our belief was that this test was purposely designed to weed out immigrants and was probably different than a test administered to native-born Canadians. We have filed a human rights complaint.
We talk to other immigrants very frequently with similar issues. One of our neighbours is a man from Byelarus with a doctoral degree in biotech. He is working as a security guard. Recently someone trying to get accesss to the building he works in called him a "monkey."
The problem is that the GOVERNMENT of Canada has NOT been xenophobic over the past 30 years - it has, until the last few years or so - welcomed skilled immigrants from may professions. It is the private sector (including sel-reuglagting professions)and individual opinions where the guilt lies. Here in Toronto there are tons of skilled foreign workers driving cabs. Not because there are no jobs for them - there are technology jobs going begging - but because of unspoken prejudice in the workplace.
I cannot put aside the possiblity that my opinion might be different if my housemates and I lived in a different province, such as yours. We have only lived in Ontario so far.
The point is that when one becomes a legal resident of a country and is qualified to do a job, there should be no issue about the country of the person's birth (nor of his/her education, providing that education is sufficient for the job at hand and that the person can speak one or more of the national languages at the necessary level of fluency for the job). If you are going to let in immigrants, they need to be treated the same way as natives if they are legal here.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#20 Feb 11, 2013
(continued)
It seems to me that if anything has undercut salaries here, it is the granting of legalized cartels to businesses and legislation preventing workers from striking in private secotor industries. Air Canada is a good example. Harper's excuse was that it was needed to serve remote northern communities. In fact, most of them are serviced by tribal airlines (Creebec, for example) and Air Canada basically just flies to the three territorial capitals. More BS from the tories.
Having lived in both the US and Canada, I would say that the sins of the US are religious fanaticism and greed, but the sins of Canada are hypocrisy, smugness and complacency. Canada is preferable in many ways as it guarantees its citizens health care and does a better (though not perfect) job on ensuring basic education and a decent chance at basic food and shelter. But people here have a tendency to pat themselves on the back a bit too often.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#21 Feb 11, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
In the USA the xenophobia and racism tends to not be hidden away so much as flaunted proudly.
Precisely. But that also makes it somewhat easier to confront. One cannot confront what is not said but only done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Same-sex marriage is just the beginning 21 min Black Power 2
Jehovah's Witness Leader Lets Loose on Tight At... 21 min Belle Sexton 346
Gay brains similar to opposite-sex straight brains 36 min Belle Sexton 29
Congressman Under Fire For 'Outlaw Divorce' Rem... (Jul '06) 59 min Swedenforever 32
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 1 hr Pietro Armando 3,534
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr Suculent-dry 26,025
Single Women Raise Gay Sons: Pat Robertson short 1 hr Swedenforever 48
CBS Network's 'Home for the Holidays' Special W... 2 hr seclu 144
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 3,968
Homosexuality 'promotes bonding' 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 52

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE