Why do some people hate gays?
Hiram A Bathaus

Philadelphia, PA

#4391 Jun 10, 2011
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't talk to him, neither logic or reason apply. He thinks he knows gays better than they know themselves. It's the height of arrogance born from ignorance.
I used to think he was one of those mission oriented types, you get enough of them here...out to preach the word so to speak. He is more fixated on these supposed fetishes than anyone else here.
I've finally concluded that he is just one nastly little person, how he gets his jollies from this I don't care to speculate on.
I think any psychiatrist would pay HIM to study his thought processes, he would be the mother lode of abnormal psychology;0)
BTW, enjoy your posts!
It all started the first time you posted that hideous photo of your ugly old asz. When you finally took it down the hate abated slightly. The problem was, looking at the photo, it was too hard to determine your sex. But you did look like an old ugly dude.

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

#4392 Jun 10, 2011
Hiram A Bathaus wrote:
<quoted text>
It all started the first time you posted that hideous photo of your ugly old asz. When you finally took it down the hate abated slightly. The problem was, looking at the photo, it was too hard to determine your sex. But you did look like an old ugly dude.
So, what you're saying is that you are such a shallow person that you judge people only for their looks and not the content of their character.

You judge people based on stereotypes, pre-supposing that if a person is "ugly" as determined by you and you alone, that it is somehow acceptable to ridicule, mock, deride, run down and make other personal attacks upon them.

All the while, you CAN NOT address the topic or speak to any of the issues raised.

Eric
Hiram A Bathaus

Philadelphia, PA

#4393 Jun 11, 2011
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what you're saying is that you are such a shallow person that you judge people only for their looks and not the content of their character.
You judge people based on stereotypes, pre-supposing that if a person is "ugly" as determined by you and you alone, that it is somehow acceptable to ridicule, mock, deride, run down and make other personal attacks upon them.
All the while, you CAN NOT address the topic or speak to any of the issues raised.
Eric
Precisely. Guilty as charged. You've pegged me perfectly and exposed me for what I am. I have no adequate response to your charge. I was born with exceptional good looks which I still have but not much else.

Sometimes I wish I looked like you. Just once in a while, mind you.

Since: Dec 09

Cleveland, TN

#4394 Jun 11, 2011
Why do people hate anyone...

Nobody loves or hates everyone they're "supposed" to according to the bible or any other means of common consensus within certain groups.

This conversation will never end.

“Hello homo sapiens sapiens.”

Since: Mar 07

A galaxy near you.

#4395 Jun 11, 2011
MarkD_ wrote:
Nobody loves or hates everyone they're "supposed" to according to the bible or any other means of common consensus within certain groups.
No, this conversation will never end. New bigots spring up everywhere. You will enjoy talking to gemelk, though. He is execptionally kind and intelligent. You will seldom, if ever, see him lose his temper. Wish I could say the same about myself;0)

Haven't been to Dalton since I worked for the Census Bureau in 2000. It's a beautiful town in a lovely part of the country.
Best wishes.

BTW, watch out for that Philly, PA guy. He has dozens of names, just look for his addy. He's not worth the time.

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

#4396 Jun 13, 2011
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't talk to him, neither logic or reason apply. He thinks he knows gays better than they know themselves. It's the height of arrogance born from ignorance.
I used to think he was one of those mission oriented types, you get enough of them here...out to preach the word so to speak. He is more fixated on these supposed fetishes than anyone else here.
I've finally concluded that he is just one nastly little person, how he gets his jollies from this I don't care to speculate on.
I think any psychiatrist would pay HIM to study his thought processes, he would be the mother lode of abnormal psychology;0)
BTW, enjoy your posts!
Kind of weird because I want to feel sorry for him, and then he opens his mouth and it's like "Oh". So yeah I get your point he's just moron with a puerile non-factual argument.

You don't get many like him in England to be honest, most homophobes here just keep their views to themselves and people here tend to leave each other alone to be honest. It's kind of shocking seeing someone going on the internet to preach hatred to be honest.

Sparkle <3

#4397 Jun 13, 2011
MarkD_ wrote:
The problem is,(btw i'm no religious in any way shape or form) that the bible was written in a way that didn't allow for social change, it's annoying that people who go crazy over the bible pick and choose the rules in it they wish to follow, for instance they judge homosexuals purely for who they are, but they don't "love thy neighbour" and not judge people like the bible says.

Anyway yeah biggots are just everywhere, best thing to do is just laugh at them like they're a cartoon, realise that they're the ones with the problem and they can never hurt you.:)

Location hidden

#4398 Jun 13, 2011
LOVE no HATE :)

A galaxy near you.

#4399 Jun 13, 2011
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of weird because I want to feel sorry for him, and then he opens his mouth and it's like "Oh". So yeah I get your point he's just moron with a puerile non-factual argument.
You don't get many like him in England to be honest, most homophobes here just keep their views to themselves and people here tend to leave each other alone to be honest. It's kind of shocking seeing someone going on the internet to preach hatred to be honest.
I do think people feel safer behind the keyboard. Those people that would keep their bias to themselves in order to 'fit in' feel free to say what they really feel.

In a way it's scary to see so much willful ignorance and hatred. OTOH, it's practical to see where you or someone you care about really stand in the real world. We have to live in the real world after all.
CHris

UK

#4400 Jun 14, 2011
Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
They're filthy, disgusting pigs that's why.
Rob your the one who is a filthy disgusting pig. Oh no sorry thats a bit offensive to pigs! You are the exriement of pigs!, with your narrow minded medi evil scummy religous views (most homophobes seem to belive in a fairytale what u call religeon)

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#4401 Jun 14, 2011
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is,(btw i'm no religious in any way shape or form) that the bible was written in a way that didn't allow for social change, it's annoying that people who go crazy over the bible pick and choose the rules in it they wish to follow, for instance they judge homosexuals purely for who they are, but they don't "love thy neighbour" and not judge people like the bible says.
Anyway yeah biggots are just everywhere, best thing to do is just laugh at them like they're a cartoon, realise that they're the ones with the problem and they can never hurt you.:)
Have to disagree with you on this. The Bible (Hebrew & Christian) actually has more flexibility than the Fundies would lead anyone to believe. This is why it has stood the test of time and why despite so many variations of Judaism and exponentially more of Christianity, it's still mostly the same book. Why? Because it is open to interpretation.

It is not a book of strict fact or pure history, but it nonetheless contains fundamental truths for how peoples should live together.

Yes, it has been, like all sorts of products been made to do harm, but it cannot be dismissed and in some hands (Dr. King, Mother Theresa and others) can be used to do great good. It's the person that chooses. You see that recurring theme through most Holy texts.

Eric

A galaxy near you.

#4403 Jun 14, 2011
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Have to disagree with you on this. The Bible (Hebrew & Christian) actually has more flexibility than the Fundies would lead anyone to believe. This is why it has stood the test of time and why despite so many variations of Judaism and exponentially more of Christianity, it's still mostly the same book. Why? Because it is open to interpretation.
It is not a book of strict fact or pure history, but it nonetheless contains fundamental truths for how peoples should live together.
Yes, it has been, like all sorts of products been made to do harm, but it cannot be dismissed and in some hands (Dr. King, Mother Theresa and others) can be used to do great good. It's the person that chooses. You see that recurring theme through most Holy texts.
Eric
I'm afraid I would have to disagree with you, Eric, on the point about Mother Theresa. She encouraged poor women to have children rather than use birth control. Having more children than you can feed is supposedly better than risking Hellfire by planned parenthood. There is an entire generation of mentally and physically stunted people who will have to be taken care of by today's children and grandchildren. JIMHO, but I felt it needed to be said.
Mark

UK

#4404 Jun 14, 2011
CHris wrote:
<quoted text>
Your the one causing hatred against muslims with your stupid brainwashed narrow minded veiws we will NOT bow down to your so called religeon it is outdate, discusting and barbaric. If u want an example of nansy pansy look at yourself in your hole, religeon peacefull? Give me a fucking brake "oh all gays should die" blah [email protected] blah The only TRUE relgion would not hate people for who they are a TRUE religeon would not impose ots sick belifes on other people, Why dont u go and suck a pig!!!!
I agree with u this so called muslim is not just offending gay people but also other muslims this os typical extreamist muslim (if u can call him that) who want to take.over the uk!! Lolololol That will never happen as he might aswell worship satan with discusting, evil closed minded veiws like that.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#4405 Jun 14, 2011
DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid I would have to disagree with you, Eric, on the point about Mother Theresa. She encouraged poor women to have children rather than use birth control. Having more children than you can feed is supposedly better than risking Hellfire by planned parenthood. There is an entire generation of mentally and physically stunted people who will have to be taken care of by today's children and grandchildren. JIMHO, but I felt it needed to be said.
Point taken and I don't dispute what you say.

On the aggregate though, I think my point likewise remains valid.

Eric

Cleveland, TN

#4406 Jun 14, 2011
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric
I'm not sure that it's really flexible at all. Seems to me that each religion is pretty set in stone as to what it teaches. It's just a matter of what the person wants to believe.

In some cases it may be that the type of religious based teaching the person received encouraged their alignment, but I really don't think that hateful assholes become loving and giving just from reading a Bible nor vice versa.

It's been my experience that hateful religious people are hateful people with a scapegoat. They like to pick certain verses which they believe condone or justify judgments and biases and oppressive ideals that they may try to spread. Tolerant religious people are tolerant people who happen to have faith. These often like to credit God with their blessings and even actions, and also pick and choose certain verses which they believe encourage and validate their good actions and intentions as having a religious origin.

But in either of these cases, they're not really living by a literal application of the entire Bible. They do not actually need it to be who they are. I wouldn't really say that it's "stood the test of time" as you say. The book itself hasn't been rewritten, per se, but the way that people use it often has less to do with what it says, and more to do with what the individual wants to pretend to have validation for. And it's because of people clinging to a variety of selective vague ideas which they bend to fill some sort of need, that it's still around. So if you think about it, acting as tho it's open to interpretation IS essentially changing it, at least in application, to suit your needs.

Cleveland, TN

#4407 Jun 14, 2011
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem isn't just in what the bible says or how it is written, nor even in how it's interpreted.

The problem is that many people are religious, and make decisions of logic, rationality, ethics and fairness based on a belief which can call them to throw these things out the window.

And the problem regarding the hatred is that you have either people who are blinded by what they've been told about what their faith teaches, thus can be ignorant to social, mental, and behavioral issues in general, or people who, regardless of how much of the Bible they actually believe, are just hateful and seek avenues to channel this and ways to pretend to justify it.

And your last thing about laughing at them, while it might help some people feel better about themselves, would be a lot more true if this kind of ignorance or hate justification didn't sometimes have the end result of severe injury or death, even self inflicted, to the people on the receiving end of the bigotry.

A galaxy near you.

#4408 Jun 14, 2011
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Point taken and I don't dispute what you say.
On the aggregate though, I think my point likewise remains valid.
Eric
Agreed.

Sparkle <3

#4409 Jun 15, 2011
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Eric
I see what you mean Eric, and in principle I can see why the bible may be a good moral compass for some people, however I wish people would look at the whole picture and not pick and choose laws that they want. For instance, the bible says that someone should be allowed to sell their own daughter into slavery, own slaves, stone wives or children or who tell lies, that the earth is flat and the stars revolve around us etc.

I get your point about King and Theresa, they were good people, but you do need to bear in mind that King was a womaniser, then again I suppose everyone has faults. I guess the world would be a better place if christians weren't so hypocritical about their beliefs.

Sparkle <3

#4410 Jun 15, 2011
MarkD_ wrote:
<quoted text>The problem isn't just in what the bible says or how it is written, nor even in how it's interpreted.
The problem is that many people are religious, and make decisions of logic, rationality, ethics and fairness based on a belief which can call them to throw these things out the window.
And the problem regarding the hatred is that you have either people who are blinded by what they've been told about what their faith teaches, thus can be ignorant to social, mental, and behavioral issues in general, or people who, regardless of how much of the Bible they actually believe, are just hateful and seek avenues to channel this and ways to pretend to justify it.
And your last thing about laughing at them, while it might help some people feel better about themselves, would be a lot more true if this kind of ignorance or hate justification didn't sometimes have the end result of severe injury or death, even self inflicted, to the people on the receiving end of the bigotry.
I do see what you mean, but in reference to the latter part of your reply, it does help some people as although ignorance and hatred in any form is harmful, I've just stopped caring what homophobes think, no one is going to change their viewpoint on this, if they did, then the homophobe would have to be pretty weak-willed in the first place.

Personally I just find it easier not to take them seriously and just ignore them.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#4411 Jun 17, 2011
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see what you mean Eric, and in principle I can see why the bible may be a good moral compass for some people, however I wish people would look at the whole picture and not pick and choose laws that they want. For instance, the bible says that someone should be allowed to sell their own daughter into slavery, own slaves, stone wives or children or who tell lies, that the earth is flat and the stars revolve around us etc.
I get your point about King and Theresa, they were good people, but you do need to bear in mind that King was a womaniser, then again I suppose everyone has faults. I guess the world would be a better place if christians weren't so hypocritical about their beliefs.
The Bible is a flawed text. I don't deny this.

I used Dr. King and Mother Theresa as 2 of many examples, but go through history and look at those we elevate, all are flawed, all have conflict - they are human.

The point in the Bible, in holy texts, in our heroes, is that overall, they transcend. Despite their flaws, their humanity, they rise above, often times only in narrow, limited ways, to show us our better selves, what we can be, if we but try.

The choice is always ours to make.

Can we take a book that preaches about loving our neighbors and turning swords into plowshares and only focus in on slavery, elitist separtism and laws that call for death? Sure. We see this all the time.

Does that mean the book is bad with nothing good to offer? No! Rather it shows us we have options, if we will but choose them. The path to an evil world is easy and human history and abuse of the Bible and other holy texts is ample proof. But those same holy texts show us that the path toward a better world is possible, but that it will take VERY hard work on our part.

We are not perfect. Life is unfair and unjust. Religion, holy texts and our heroes are flawed.

So what?!

Let's go out and strive to make the world and life better anyway. That's the point the Bible, Dr. King, Ghandi, Mother Theresa and others strive to teach us.

It's not easy. It's not meant to be. That doesn't mean the reward isn't worth the effort.

Eric

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 15 min June VanDerMark 13,061
News Vancouver mayor pushes for anti-gay, anti-Islam... 1 hr JohnInToronto 2
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr carter county res... 24,762
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 2 hr Eagle 12 61
News Mike Huckabee links same-sex marriage to straig... (Feb '11) 4 hr Lottery Traitors 63
News Congressman Under Fire For 'Outlaw Divorce' Rem... (Jul '06) 4 hr Lottery Traitors 103
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 hr Respect71 45,038
More from around the web