'Quiet' wedding for Elton and David

'Quiet' wedding for Elton and David

There are 18 comments on the Mid Devon Star story from Mar 31, 2014, titled 'Quiet' wedding for Elton and David. In it, Mid Devon Star reports that:

Sir Elton John and his partner David Furnish are aiming for a "low-key" wedding in May following a change in the law which allows same-sex marriages.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mid Devon Star.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Mar 31, 2014
How out of character.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#2 Mar 31, 2014
snyper wrote:
How out of character.
I suppose Sir Elton is mellowing with age.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#3 Mar 31, 2014
snyper wrote:
How out of character.
You can do most anything when you have more money than God.

Location hidden

#4 Mar 31, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose Sir Elton is mellowing with age.
I can personally attest that most appearances of wisdom and virtue are a manifestation of being too old and too tired.

El Paso, TX

#5 Mar 31, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I can personally attest that most appearances of wisdom and virtue are a manifestation of being too old and too tired.
LOL

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#6 Mar 31, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to say it, but I agree. The older I get the more I keep my mouth shut and the more I don't look leeringly at young men. I keep my mouth shut mostly because I am searching my brain to remember things. My mind is like a computer hard drive that hasn't been defraged in months. I know the knowledge is in there, I just can't find it quickly anymore. As to the young men, I just don't have the energy anymore.

Location hidden

#7 Mar 31, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to say it, but I agree. The older I get the more I keep my mouth shut and the more I don't look leeringly at young men. I keep my mouth shut mostly because I am searching my brain to remember things. My mind is like a computer hard drive that hasn't been defraged in months. I know the knowledge is in there, I just can't find it quickly anymore. As to the young men, I just don't have the energy anymore.
Caffeine works wonders, especially in the gentle application of a nice pot of tea.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#8 Mar 31, 2014
Let's wait and see what happens. Elton John's idea of "quiet wedding" may mean you must be a big star to get an invitation.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#9 Mar 31, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Caffeine works wonders, especially in the gentle application of a nice pot of tea.
For the brain, or for chasing young men? And I drink 3 cups of tea daily.

Location hidden

#10 Mar 31, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
For the brain, and I take mine in doses that would kill a beginner.

Don't forget to do your brainups daily. Games, puzzles ... always looking for what requires a new skill-set, rather than simply rehashing the same old ones ... are essential. Combined with some meditation and some serious periods of intentional nostalgia these will defrag the HD in short order. Another helpful tool is to write down any memories as they recur. Coherent collation of these is not necessary, but giving each account a number and putting that number on a timeline is sufficient. Annotating the picture albums is also very good.

Such mental yoga is necessary to regaining and maintaining mental flexibility.

It's also not the least bit boring.

El Paso, TX

#11 Mar 31, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
No you put the tea on the body part that's not working, just let it cool down first. The tea, not the body part.
Fundies R Mentally Nil

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Mar 31, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
As to the young men, I just don't have the energy anymore.
Somebody needs a tea cozy...or two.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#13 Mar 31, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
For the brain, and I take mine in doses that would kill a beginner.
Don't forget to do your brainups daily. Games, puzzles ... always looking for what requires a new skill-set, rather than simply rehashing the same old ones ... are essential. Combined with some meditation and some serious periods of intentional nostalgia these will defrag the HD in short order. Another helpful tool is to write down any memories as they recur. Coherent collation of these is not necessary, but giving each account a number and putting that number on a timeline is sufficient. Annotating the picture albums is also very good.
Such mental yoga is necessary to regaining and maintaining mental flexibility.
It's also not the least bit boring.
I do most of that. I don't meditate a lot.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#14 Mar 31, 2014
TomInElPaso wrote:
<quoted text>
No you put the tea on the body part that's not working, just let it cool down first. The tea, not the body part.
On this old body, that would be a waste of good tea.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#15 Mar 31, 2014
Fundies R Mentally Nil wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody needs a tea cozy...or two.
Actually, I have three, purchased at Harrods and at Selfridges. I use them on the deck to keep my teapots warm. I have 2 of them, also purchased in London.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#16 Apr 1, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
If you tuck a roll of $100 bills in your speedo; young men will chase you

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#17 Apr 1, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
If you tuck a roll of $100 bills in your speedo; young men will chase you
Now, there's a thought. But then, I don't know what I'd do with them when they caught me. My spouse might be a little ticked. Or then, maybe he be relieved.
Willis

Surrey, Canada

#18 Jun 6, 2014
MY Big "Quiet" Gay Wedding probably will never be reproduced. No wedding could possibly be as quiet as mine: I married my guy wearing my favourite faded, wrinkly doctors' greens and my slippers.

It was a simple candle ceremony held in our own living room, presided over by a marriage commissioner, attended by one personal friend and two "professional" witnesses.

We had a fire going in the fireplace. Cake and cocktails followed. The professional individuals got way drunk! How strange! I don't drink at all, so I was the only sober soul there.

It cost $96. Cheap, when you consider that my guy and I had been living "as if married" for 38 years prior to the ceremony, and we had been filing our income tax returns "as if,".which Revenue Canada honoured every time - even in all those years before same-gender marriage became officially legal all across Canada, in 1995. II guess you might say our union was "grand-fathered!" And at my awful age, 60, "grandfather" is an apt sobriquet! I feel more like 85….sigh….where did I go?

As for Elton, ya, it will be interesting to see his conception of "quiet." Something tells me it'll be more like his gaudy and coveted annual Academy Awards blowout.

RANT:
Speaking of grandfather-liness….Barring some freak of longevity, Elton-as-Daddy won't likely be around to BE a grandfather. Personally, I think his and David's adoption of those two children IS thoughtless and vain. Those two boys are just trophies to put on the shelf, living amusements for the idle rich.

Speaking as an unhappily adopted child, I can tell you that adoptive parents owe it to the adopted child to be _absolutely_,_perfectly_ fitted to that child's personality, physicality, temperament and whatever special inborn gifts the child may manifest. What if Elton's boys turn out to be fishermen or brick-layers? Or sex workers? Or truckers? Where's the big fun in that for the rock star and sidekick?

So much can go wrong, so drastically, between poorly-matched adoptive parents and their adopted children.

It's a treacherous tightrope walk adoptive parents take, and the wreckage of a poor fit can be terribly injurious. Myself, I finally disowned my adoptive
family, successfully found my intact and over-joyed-to-see-me birth family, and changed my name legally back to my birth name. ALL of THAT because a childless wannabe mommie and daddy couple just grabbed the cutest boy in the window. Without any thought or preparation. They stole my childhood and youth.

I"d hate to think that EJ and D might have done the same - took the cutest boys in the lineup!

END OF RANT!

BTW, my slippers are bright red canvas and worn for comfort, not show.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rapper iLoveMakonnen Comes Out As Gay 8 min NOM s Waffle House 1
News Moves to remove gay panic from Queensland law r... 19 min NOM s Waffle House 1
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 20 min June VanDerMark 12,657
News At GOP leaders' urging, Texas Supreme Court wil... 23 min NOM s Waffle House 1
News Gay MP feared he would be barred from politics ... 29 min NOM s Waffle House 1
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 29 min Inquisitor 708
News Ellen DeGeneres, Neil Patrick Harris and other ... 34 min NOM s Waffle House 3
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 47 min Respect71 44,085
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Big C 24,013
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 3 hr Rainbow Kid 364
More from around the web