Teacher sets off media firestorm after support of effort to organize prom that would exclude gays

There are 20 comments on the Feb 13, 2013, The Indianapolis Star story titled Teacher sets off media firestorm after support of effort to organize prom that would exclude gays. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A teacher in a small western Indiana school district has set off a media firestorm for her support of efforts to organize an alternative "traditional'' prom at a nearby high school - a prom that would exclude gays.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#45 Feb 18, 2013
Papaw wrote:
Going to prom is not a right it's a priviledge. Some schools don't let the underclassmen attend. Some don't allow students to attend if their grade average is too low or if they are being punished for an infraction. Some schools only sell so many tickets and it's first come first serve.
This is an example of what is known as the masked man fallacy. It is an argument that seeks to rationalize the exclusion of same sex couples from the "priviledge" that is prom, on the basis that all these other legitimate limitations have been put on it, so we should unquestioningly accept this one as a legitimate one as well. It says absolutely nothing to the "legitimacy" or of the policy itself, just deliberately confuses it with the "legitimacy" of other decisions.
Rick

West Terre Haute, IN

#46 Feb 18, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>She has a right to her opinion and religious beliefs as an individual (no matter how little anyone else thinks of them), but in this case she is not speaking as an individual, but as a teacher in a PUBLIC school system. A public which includes people who do not agree with her on those opinions and beliefs. She was not hired to teach her opinions and beliefs, even to those who might already agree with them, but to teach knowledge and skills. As a teacher, she has no dog in the fight as to whether homosexuality is 'right' or 'wrong' in the eyes of God and shouldn't be rooting for one, even if this is the ugly nonsense she believes as an individual.
I could'nt agree with you more, plus the school corporation there has a spineless superintendant who did not make a statement until forced to do so..

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#47 Feb 19, 2013
Knowing Sullivan the way I do, I am sure she will be on the ballot for Mayor and will win with a landslide!
Billy

Bloomington, IN

#48 Feb 19, 2013
bigmatthehobo wrote:
Knowing Sullivan the way I do, I am sure she will be on the ballot for Mayor and will win with a landslide!
Lol hopefully so

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#49 Feb 19, 2013
Billy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol hopefully so
good for you... keep that christain hate alive
Wilson

Czech Republic

#50 Feb 19, 2013
Lililth_Satans_Bore wrote:
<quoted text>why would i be deported dipsh!t
For being too ugly.

Bellevue, WA

#51 Feb 19, 2013
Wilson wrote:
<quoted text>
For being too ugly.
How did you get so stupid... was a birth defect from your mom
WHATEVER

Clay City, IN

#52 Feb 19, 2013
Matt wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually quite a while ago the gays through a fit because a good few people said that they were going to a different non school prom instead because it was a gay free and the word got around about it and ALOT of people said they were going to that one instead....well the gays through a fit because hardly nobody was going to the school prom to watch them...personally I think prom is over rated anyway...I'd rather go to an actual party
You need to go to bed, it's past your bedtime and you have school tomorrow... little boy!
WHATEVER

Clay City, IN

#53 Feb 19, 2013
Papaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Going to prom is not a right it's a priviledge. Some schools don't let the underclassmen attend. Some don't allow students to attend if their grade average is too low or if they are being punished for an infraction. Some schools only sell so many tickets and it's first come first serve.
Actually, it is their legal right! You can't exclude someone on the premise of their sexual orientation! Big difference excluding someone based on their performance at school and their sexual orientation! There is no law preventing them from being excluded because they are failing dumbasses!
Papaw

Clinton, IN

#54 Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it is their legal right! You can't exclude someone on the premise of their sexual orientation! Big difference excluding someone based on their performance at school and their sexual orientation! There is no law preventing them from being excluded because they are failing dumbasses!
No it isn't a right for ANYONE. Proms are not required, they are extracurricular. Proms can be eliminated from school activities.
WHATEVER

Clay City, IN

#55 Feb 19, 2013
What you are saying is, if there IS a prom not everyone has the right to go.... YES they do! If the school doesn't want to have one, that's the school's decision... that is their right. BUT if they have one, they can't exclude people on the premise of race, religion, culture! This is NOT the school's problem, this is the problem of a few egotistical parents thinking they can shove their Christian views and beliefs down everyone else' throat!!!
They are a bunch of damned hypocrits!
Papaw

Clinton, IN

#56 Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER wrote:
What you are saying is, if there IS a prom not everyone has the right to go.... YES they do! If the school doesn't want to have one, that's the school's decision... that is their right. BUT if they have one, they can't exclude people on the premise of race, religion, culture! This is NOT the school's problem, this is the problem of a few egotistical parents thinking they can shove their Christian views and beliefs down everyone else' throat!!!
They are a bunch of damned hypocrits!
If you're referring to my post....... I made no statement concerning who, if anyone should be refused. I think that all this whining about who gets to attend should be stopped by just cancelling the public prom. It's a dance for pete's sake not a life or death situation. It isn't important or necessary.
Let the yapping parents foot the bill for a "private" prom then they can invite whoever they want. Let the constipated teacher put in her share of the $$$ too. Maybe if the spoiled kids were shown they are not the center of the universe they might appreciate having a prom and just maybe they will see the value of each and every human being. That fits both sides, by the way.

Bellevue, WA

#57 Feb 19, 2013
Papaw wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're referring to my post....... I made no statement concerning who, if anyone should be refused. I think that all this whining about who gets to attend should be stopped by just cancelling the public prom. It's a dance for pete's sake not a life or death situation. It isn't important or necessary.
Let the yapping parents foot the bill for a "private" prom then they can invite whoever they want. Let the constipated teacher put in her share of the $$$ too. Maybe if the spoiled kids were shown they are not the center of the universe they might appreciate having a prom and just maybe they will see the value of each and every human being. That fits both sides, by the way.
wow we agree. except for the wishing for an unfortunate accident to happen at the private prom
William Monroe

Sullivan, IN

#59 May 17, 2013
Gays have been around for years. Nobody bothered them and they didn't bother anyone. I think if you have an opinion, everyone shouldn't, crawl down your throat for saying so. We all should have free speech. if you don't agree, tough! You shouldn't fire
or suspend a teacher that says what she thinks. That's being hypocritical.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#60 May 17, 2013
Lililth_Satans_Bore wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right the christians need to die.... glad we agree fucktard
hi there cutie... it's been a while, huh? you doing alright?
William Monroe

Sullivan, IN

#61 May 17, 2013
Why should some one have to agree with the status quo?
This news report was not correct. Just a way to drum up
a firestorm and it worked. The teacher just stated her honest opinion, haven't you just done the same thing. How about if we fire the whole school board and go down to the city dump and have an orgy.

ha
kk

United States

#62 May 20, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>It wasn't an issue for the school until the bigots made it one, dear. They are the ones who freaked out at the idea that a same sex couple might be at the prom... The "gay crap" you are referring to comes from you, endlessly obsessing over and condemning the lives of others.
i disagree- the " gay crap" as u call it, is sad. How many gay kids do u know? From your tone i would be surprised if you are not gay yourself. Why do gays have to offend what ever God they pray to? There is not one faith that encourages queerness that i am aware of. If the offending gay does not have any faith, then they are automatically on Satans side. So they do have someone they follow. Its not enough to keep their queerness to them selves at their own home. By dressing queerish and wanting to attend the prom the queers are offending everyone not of the queer tribe. What should the majority of students , the non gays, have to allow fags to attend the prom? Just so they do not feel left out? They better get used to it if they wanna be gay. A vast majority of society does not want to see or hear the pleas of fags wanting to be accepted.
Get over it

United States

#63 May 20, 2013
Two proms did not happen evidently not enough fire. Leave the teacher alone---Free Speech. Leave the Gays or Lesbians alone. They will have their day to be judged. And guess what the judge is not us.
I believe in a man and woman. But that is my belief. I believe in God. I can tell everyone, But will they listen?????????? NO

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#64 May 20, 2013
kk wrote:
(nothing worth repeating)
Pudding, you do not speak for the vast majority, but a fortunately ever dwindling minority of pathetic, small-minded, flaming hemorrhoids of humanity. Thanks for playing, but you and your ilk, you've lost, your hateful ugliness becoming just another embarrassment to human history.
Curious

Bloomington, IN

#65 May 20, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Pudding, you do not speak for the vast majority, but a fortunately ever dwindling minority of pathetic, small-minded, flaming hemorrhoids of humanity. Thanks for playing, but you and your ilk, you've lost, your hateful ugliness becoming just another embarrassment to human history.
This ^^^^^^ from someone that is all too familiar with flaming hemorrhoids!!! Why is it that those that agree with you call those that do not, "small-minded"? It would seem that you are the ones that can not grasp a loving GOD and have faith in his ways. You are the ones that seem small-minded to think that being human is all that there is. This is of coarse MY opinion! I have a right to that!! feel free to continue to express yours. cheers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 min lides 20,117
If Frankie Rizzo isn't gay and after Jade why d... (Jun '13) 6 min NorCal Native 13
News What to watch at SCOTUS gay marriage hearing 11 min Cordwainer Trout 15
News 3 Reasons Republicans Might Cheer A Pro-Gay-Mar... 12 min Fa-Foxy 13
News Judge proposes Oregon bakery pay $135,000 to le... 17 min Holy Guacamole 243
News 5 things you need to know Tuesday 17 min Man 1
News Poll: More faiths embracing gay marriage 23 min dra 54
Are the mods fair and balanced? 1 hr DebraE 669
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 2,138
More from around the web