Teacher sets off media firestorm afte...

Teacher sets off media firestorm after support of effort to organize prom that would exclude gays

There are 95 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 13, 2013, titled Teacher sets off media firestorm after support of effort to organize prom that would exclude gays. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A teacher in a small western Indiana school district has set off a media firestorm for her support of efforts to organize an alternative "traditional'' prom at a nearby high school - a prom that would exclude gays.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Billy

Bloomington, IN

#22 Feb 15, 2013
Lililth_Satans_Bore wrote:
<quoted text>ya i feel the same way about chriSTAIN crap
Have you not been deported yet?

Lililth_Satans_B ore

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#24 Feb 15, 2013
Billy wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you not been deported yet?
why would i be deported dipsh!t
Rick

Bloomington, IN

#25 Feb 15, 2013
I personnly agree wth the teacher now i will say she was wrong to say that gays have no purpose. But being gay or lesbian is wrong and they are sinning in the eyes of god. But why is she being critized on her thought. People can express that they are for gay marrige and its ok, but someone stands up for rights right and she expresses her own opionin and she gets critisized for it grow up People.
Drish

Bloomington, IN

#26 Feb 15, 2013
Ok 5 words i have to say about this shit. THIS IS JUST STUPID SHIT!

Lililth_Satans_B ore

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#27 Feb 15, 2013
Rick wrote:
I personnly agree wth the teacher now i will say she was wrong to say that gays have no purpose. But being gay or lesbian is wrong and they are sinning in the eyes of god. But why is she being critized on her thought. People can express that they are for gay marrige and its ok, but someone stands up for rights right and she expresses her own opionin and she gets critisized for it grow up People.
and i think christains have no purpose and should be kept away from children... so
Billy

Bloomington, IN

#29 Feb 15, 2013
Lililth_Satans_Bore wrote:
<quoted text>and i think christains have no purpose and should be kept away from children... so
I think to should be kept away from children
Papaw

Clinton, IN

#30 Feb 15, 2013
Jules wrote:
<quoted text>
We all have this whole situation forced down our throats...but it isn't the gay supports doing the forcing! We are not asking anyone to pretend its ok or embrace it....we are simply standing up for legal rights some innocent kids were forced to fight against.
Going to prom is not a right it's a priviledge. Some schools don't let the underclassmen attend. Some don't allow students to attend if their grade average is too low or if they are being punished for an infraction. Some schools only sell so many tickets and it's first come first serve.
Jules

United States

#31 Feb 15, 2013
Papaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Going to prom is not a right it's a priviledge. Some schools don't let the underclassmen attend. Some don't allow students to attend if their grade average is too low or if they are being punished for an infraction. Some schools only sell so many tickets and it's first come first serve.
We can go back and forth with this forever. If underclassmen aren't able to attend, that's fine. If the grades are too low and are not allowed to attend, that's also fine as these are guidelines that everyone has to follow. Now, when you rank out a qualifying upperclassman who's grade are above avarage and bought the first dang ticket and tell them they can't or shouldn't go....that's taking away a RIGHT!
jessi

United States

#32 Feb 15, 2013
Papaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Telling an underclassman they can't go because of a rule that is set in stone and telling a gay person they can't go because you don't agree with their life choices is not even the same ballbark! Going to the prom isn't a right if you don't qualify (but thouse guidelines go for EVERYONE), but not being discriminated against is a right (by law) in the school!
Papaw

Clinton, IN

#33 Feb 15, 2013
Jules wrote:
<quoted text>
We can go back and forth with this forever. If underclassmen aren't able to attend, that's fine. If the grades are too low and are not allowed to attend, that's also fine as these are guidelines that everyone has to follow. Now, when you rank out a qualifying upperclassman who's grade are above avarage and bought the first dang ticket and tell them they can't or shouldn't go....that's taking away a RIGHT!
And you may be right. I can't say. It's a "love the sinner hate the sin" kind of thing if you will pardon my phrasing.
But here's some food for thought. Not that many years ago behavior "outside the norm" was frowned upon. Get in trouble with the law and most parents refused to allow their kids to associate with you. Parents drinking too much, no one allowed their kids to come to your house. On a fast path to nowhere, merchants wouldn't hire you and no decent girl would go out with you. Homosexualiy was not accepted BUT 2 girls could go to a dance together and it wasn't considered odd, guys could go stag and no one questioned it. Young ladies could stroll down the street arm in arm and it was viewed as a friendly affection and nothing more. If unmarried women roomed together there was seldom any suspicion. The difference is there USED to be some morality in people's conduct. Few people were out there screwing someone they just met and for damn sure it wasn't announced for all the world to know. Those who did live a homosexual life were discreet too. In other words other people's sex lives weren't paraded out in public places.
Papaw

Clinton, IN

#34 Feb 15, 2013
jessi wrote:
<quoted text>
Telling an underclassman they can't go because of a rule that is set in stone and telling a gay person they can't go because you don't agree with their life choices is not even the same ballbark! Going to the prom isn't a right if you don't qualify (but thouse guidelines go for EVERYONE), but not being discriminated against is a right (by law) in the school!
I don't disagree with you but that used to happen regularly and no one argued with it, it just was and that was all. The younger generations are blessed in not having been faced with these situations of discrimition.
Jules

United States

#35 Feb 15, 2013
Papaw wrote:
<quoted text>
And you may be right. I can't say. It's a "love the sinner hate the sin" kind of thing if you will pardon my phrasing.
But here's some food for thought. Not that many years ago behavior "outside the norm" was frowned upon. Get in trouble with the law and most parents refused to allow their kids to associate with you. Parents drinking too much, no one allowed their kids to come to your house. On a fast path to nowhere, merchants wouldn't hire you and no decent girl would go out with you. Homosexualiy was not accepted BUT 2 girls could go to a dance together and it wasn't considered odd, guys could go stag and no one questioned it. Young ladies could stroll down the street arm in arm and it was viewed as a friendly affection and nothing more. If unmarried women roomed together there was seldom any suspicion. The difference is there USED to be some morality in people's conduct. Few people were out there screwing someone they just met and for damn sure it wasn't announced for all the world to know. Those who did live a homosexual life were discreet too. In other words other people's sex lives weren't paraded out in public places.
You are right....that is exactly how it used to be. I have 3 kids who say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" and are disciplined for bad behavior and fellow parents have referred to me as "too strict". I just don't want my kids to grow up in a world where everyone now feels entitled to everything, and people are so hateful and judgemental. Its really hard to explain to grade school kids why an educator would talk so mean about other kids, and then expect them to trust their teachers and elders.
Harper

Saint Petersburg, FL

#36 Feb 15, 2013
Way ahead of you wrote:
I am a parent of four children. A few years back, I removed my daughter from SWSC because she was being pressured by not only a large group of girls who claimed to be lesbians, but her cheerleader coach also was telling her things like " well that's the way God made them". Since that time, I have removed my last and youngest child. It is time that the majority of citizens in this county who pay for the school system to either get it on the right track, or shut it down. It is a disgraceto our area, and a disgrace to our children.
These kids deserve to be treated with respect, and with educated, responsible people at the helm of the school. When all today's kids see on TV is the gay hop Hollywood scene, and all they see at school is other kids acting out those roles, they might need a little educated help deciding their roll in all of this.... Now it is the gay and lesbian fad, what's next... A Muslim fad?
ion

Are you a hater? Wow your kids were denied an education from one of the finest institutions available. Well, I think you gave them an education on bias and they will continue your cycle of ignorance of their fellow man. Shame on you. I will pray for your children and also those that are the focus of your nonacceptance.
Awesome

Clinton, IN

#37 Feb 15, 2013
Hypocrite wrote:
Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_SzEITzydzcXX
You're welcome!
This is the greatest thing I've ever seen. LMAO
KELLERMAN

Marengo, OH

#38 Feb 15, 2013
Papaw wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember these days also, but I also remember when blacks were treated with such distain. I would expect someone who is ignorant to start such a firestorm, but I sure would think that a teacher would be smarter than a redneck. I assure you the young people will survive being exposed to gays. They are exposed daily and probably not aware of it. Who are we say that gays don't have morals. It's a different day and age and I would think that gays are tired of being second class citizens. You cant hide your children from the world.
what

Terre Haute, IN

#39 Feb 15, 2013
in the grand scheme of things how does it really effect you or the world is if a chick licksaclit or a dude sucksadick
sarah

Plainfield, IN

#40 Feb 15, 2013
Why does it matter if a girl wants to go to prom with another girl or a boy with another boy? Prom is a celebration of the end of the year and high school. High school girls and boys have been known to drink and do drugs, and have sex on prom night! Do all you bible thumpers agree with that? How many young girls have unprotected sex on prom night and get pregnant? Why aren't you concerned about that? I would imagine that if this "Christian group" has their own prom, it will be a dozen or less couples dancing to some boring music and wishing they were at their high school prom with their friends. If you are truly a Christian, then you can accept people for who they are and not judge them. High school is hard enough without these hateful, intolerant so-called adults trying to ruin things for them. BTW, is this church an affiliate of Westboro Baptist?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#42 Feb 18, 2013
Matt wrote:
Actually quite a while ago the gays through a fit because a good few people said that they were going to a different non school prom instead because it was a gay free and the word got around about it and ALOT of people said they were going to that one instead....well the gays through a fit because hardly nobody was going to the school prom to watch them...personally I think prom is over rated anyway...I'd rather go to an actual party
A "good few people" have tried to pull this sort of ugly, bigoted stunt on kids, for the better part of a decade now that more and more kids are finding the courage to live openly and honestly with the gift they have been given and the cojones it takes to stand up for their rights at that age, especially while gay. It's a sign that we're heading in the right direction that more and more good people are reacting negatively to the crap of your good few.

this one

#43 Feb 18, 2013
MissMe wrote:
I am tired of all the gay crap forced down my throat, I could give a shit who you sleep with, just like you don't care who I sleep with, but why do I have to embrace your lifestyle, and have to pretend its ok?
I guess you aren't aware of this, but the only one of us bringing up my sex life, is you. This is a discussion about who kids may and may not bring to the prom with them as their "date", your mind immediately leaping to what you fantasize that you imagine is going to happen in the back seat of the car afterward is sadly telling, also about you. One last thing sweetie, as for my lifestyle, other than the whole same sex attraction thingy, it's one you would envy.
MissMe wrote:
I'm sure their are things you disagree with as well......opinions are like azz holes, everyone has one, and some of them stink!
This little warning label should have been your first sentence, not the last. Your whiny ass opinion trying to rationalize your irrational bigotries and issues with your own homoerotic fantasies, smells to high heaven.

this one

#44 Feb 18, 2013
Rick wrote:
She has a right to her opinion and religious beliefs as an individual (no matter how little anyone else thinks of them), but in this case she is not speaking as an individual, but as a teacher in a PUBLIC school system. A public which includes people who do not agree with her on those opinions and beliefs. She was not hired to teach her opinions and beliefs, even to those who might already agree with them, but to teach knowledge and skills. As a teacher, she has no dog in the fight as to whether homosexuality is 'right' or 'wrong' in the eyes of God and shouldn't be rooting for one, even if this is the ugly nonsense she believes as an individual.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gay pride assembly at Virginia Beach school pos... 1 min Mitts Gold Taliblets 9
News Slovenians vote on whether to uphold same-sex m... (Dec '15) 1 min fathiwady 13
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 1 min TomInElPaso 2,099
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 8 min Harry Hay 4,713
News Were 'Fixer Upper' Stars Chip and Joanna Gaines... 36 min Mitts Gold Taliblets 13
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 36 min lides 22,463
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 43 min lides 42,866
More from around the web