Gay rights activists to boycott Harri...

Gay rights activists to boycott Harrison Ford film

There are 25 comments on the WETM-TV Elmira story from Jul 8, 2013, titled Gay rights activists to boycott Harrison Ford film. In it, WETM-TV Elmira reports that:

Harrison Ford's latest movie Enders Game has been targeted by gay rights activists who are urging fans to boycott the movie over the controversial views of the author behind the story.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WETM-TV Elmira.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chance

Grove City, PA

#1 Jul 8, 2013
Ha ha. This is Chick-Fil-A all over again. Opening night will be a conservatives' gathering. When will you people learn that your boycotts are free advertisements? I wouldn't even know about this book or movie without your stupid boycott. I'm now buying the book, and I'll be at the movie. Maybe I'll even stop by Chick-Fil-A for dinner on the way. And this might even be my chance to get a Harrison Ford doll.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 8, 2013
All those citing gay boycotts as good for business, what about the so called "million moms" boycotting every gay friendly thing in sight? I really hope they are not actually moms, because I can imagine what kind of abuse a gay child would go through in one of their households.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#5 Jul 8, 2013
Harvey wrote:
Gotta see this movie!
Way to go Harrison!
Way to lie, BRUNO, oops, I mean LITTLE liar.

Palm Springs, California

#6 Jul 8, 2013
The REAL Troll Stopper wrote:
Haven't you realized by now, Queers aren't too smart. I wasn't going to see it but now I'll make it a point to go watch it.
Good, spend all your money. His last few movies have BLOWN and I hope you are bored to tears for your $12 ticket.

Honestly, did you EVER see a more dreadful movie than "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull"? Or whatever it was called. It stank on ice.
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Jul 9, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Good, spend all your money. His last few movies have BLOWN and I hope you are bored to tears for your $12 ticket.
Honestly, did you EVER see a more dreadful movie than "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull"? Or whatever it was called. It stank on ice.
Oh, c'mon! You're intelligent. Do you really believe a tantrum will keep Harrison Ford fans from seeing this film? And do you believe a tantrum will cause people to take silly indignant gay boys seriously? You won what you said you wanted with the recent Supreme Court decision. Do you see how people will find the petulance a bit off putting?

Your side make disparaging comments all the time. Are you going to stop? I wouldn't bet on it.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#8 Jul 9, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
Oh, c'mon! You're intelligent. Do you really believe a tantrum will keep Harrison Ford fans from seeing this film?
For once, I agree with you. Convincing people to not watch or buy a movie (any movie) is an exercise in futility. Some will refuse to see it, sure, but many others, including people who hate Card for his bigotry, will want to see it, whether because they're Ford fans or because they're sci-fi fans or both.

I don't know if I'll bother to see it or not, but I do know that hating an author, producer or actor hasn't stopped me from enjoying their films in the past.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#9 Jul 9, 2013
Chance wrote:
Ha ha. This is Chick-Fil-A all over again.
This is nothing like Chick-Fil-A. A person can buy good chicken products at numerous restaurants, so people don't mind boycotting one particular restaurant. A movie is a unique artistic product though, and attempts to boycott it will go nowhere.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#11 Jul 9, 2013
If you want to see a movie - see it. The people who made it and their political (or whatever views) shouldn't be the determining factor.

When it comes to most people in the TV/Film industry, I would rather not know too much about them. They aren't heroes or role models - they will disappoint you every time.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#12 Jul 9, 2013
Ignoring the trolls for a bit, I am not sure this is totally appropriate. It reminds me of Israeli orchestras not playing Wagner because he was an antisemite. One can be a decent or even great artist and a lousy, nasty human being. Since the movie itself evidently is not anti-gay, I would see no reason to specifically boycott it.

PS: I know this is off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that Harrison Ford now looks like an elderly donkey? The man just has not aged distinguishedly.

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#13 Jul 9, 2013
Chance wrote:
Ha ha. This is Chick-Fil-A all over again. Opening night will be a conservatives' gathering. When will you people learn that your boycotts are free advertisements? I wouldn't even know about this book or movie without your stupid boycott. I'm now buying the book, and I'll be at the movie. Maybe I'll even stop by Chick-Fil-A for dinner on the way. And this might even be my chance to get a Harrison Ford doll.
Oh SniKKKers, do you really expect anyone to believe you would ever read a book? Besides, aren't all non-christian books burned in Grove City?

And you don't need any Harrison Ford doll; a Baby Jane Hudson doll would be more appropriate for you, so you can reminisce about the long distance past before you turned into the abusive old hag you are today.

Palm Springs, California

#14 Jul 9, 2013
BS Detector wrote:
<quoted text> Oh, c'mon! You're intelligent. Do you really believe a tantrum will keep Harrison Ford fans from seeing this film? And do you believe a tantrum will cause people to take silly indignant gay boys seriously? You won what you said you wanted with the recent Supreme Court decision. Do you see how people will find the petulance a bit off putting?
Your side make disparaging comments all the time. Are you going to stop? I wouldn't bet on it.
Oh, I don't know and care less. I am so over Harrison Ford. My hubby's ex secretary back in the 80's began to date Harrison Ford and it was quite hot and heavy. He tired of her and just stopped calling. She tried to call, but his phone number was different and she was destroyed for quite a while. It is obvious, he grew bored and didn't even give her the decency of a break up, just gave her chilling indifference.

I don't agree with boycotts. All they do is give attention to something that would die an easy death on its own. I haven't even heard of this movie, and it would probably fail on its own if left alone. Now all the gay haters will FLOCK to it, and probably hate it anyway, but would rather die than admit it. Does anyone REALLY like Chick-Filet-A? I never did, it's tasteless and dull, white chicken on white bread, smothered in mayonnaise. Perfect tea bagger food. BUT the conservatives now can't get enough of it. Same as this stupid movie.

Palm Springs, California

#15 Jul 9, 2013
GoldenGator wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh SniKKKers, do you really expect anyone to believe you would ever read a book? Besides, aren't all non-christian books burned in Grove City?
And you don't need any Harrison Ford doll; a Baby Jane Hudson doll would be more appropriate for you, so you can reminisce about the long distance past before you turned into the abusive old hag you are today.
I've written a letter to daddy.
His address is heaven above,
I've written dear daddy we miss,
And wish you were with us to love!
Instead of a stamp I used kisses,
The Postman says that's best to do,
I've written a letter to daddy,
Saying I LOVE YOU!

Sorry, you brought out my inner Fag with that Baby Jane reference! When I was still in LA, I looked up 172 North McCadden. It was the Hudson sister's address in the film, and it was the real address of the house whose exterior they used. It's in Hancock Park and is actually a LOVELY neighborhood. I would take out of town visitors there all the time.

Palm Springs, California

#16 Jul 9, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
Ignoring the trolls for a bit, I am not sure this is totally appropriate. It reminds me of Israeli orchestras not playing Wagner because he was an antisemite. One can be a decent or even great artist and a lousy, nasty human being. Since the movie itself evidently is not anti-gay, I would see no reason to specifically boycott it.
PS: I know this is off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that Harrison Ford now looks like an elderly donkey? The man just has not aged distinguishedly.
Sadly not. When he was in "Air Force One", he was still a full on hunk. Those days are long gone, I am afraid.

Palm Springs, California

#17 Jul 9, 2013
Chance wrote:
Oh, God, I hope it is better than Chick-Felate. That stuff is SO WHITE. I knocked off my Chick Felate shopping decades ago, long before the boycotts began. It was just too dull for words.

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#18 Jul 9, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>I've written a letter to daddy.
His address is heaven above,
I've written dear daddy we miss,
And wish you were with us to love!
Instead of a stamp I used kisses,
The Postman says that's best to do,
I've written a letter to daddy,
Saying I LOVE YOU!
Sorry, you brought out my inner Fag with that Baby Jane reference! When I was still in LA, I looked up 172 North McCadden. It was the Hudson sister's address in the film, and it was the real address of the house whose exterior they used. It's in Hancock Park and is actually a LOVELY neighborhood. I would take out of town visitors there all the time.
I see that Jane has finally replaced that old 46 or 47 black convertible. Can't tell about Mrs. Bates:

http://baltimore21201.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834...

Oh Chance —
Ya know we got rats in the cellar?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#19 Jul 9, 2013
Chance wrote:
You're probably right about that. Sometimes, the gay community can be just as foolish as the Roman Catholic Church. Do you remember when publishers vied to get their offerings banned in the Diocese of Boston?

Of course, Geeks Out calling for a boycott has no stature and little influence in the gay community. Most of the readers of this forum are hearing of them for the first time when they read this article--if they even bother to do that. So this is just about as important to the gay community as Terry Jones calling for the burning of Korans.

So whip yourselves into a frenzy. Go see a movie that you'd have never bothered with if someone you'd never heard of hadn't called for a boycott. Stuff yourselves with plenty of chicken nuggets. In short, enjoy your moment of defiance. It's the best you have to look forward to in the culture wars.
BS Detector

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Jul 9, 2013
Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
For once, I agree with you. Convincing people to not watch or buy a movie (any movie) is an exercise in futility. Some will refuse to see it, sure, but many others, including people who hate Card for his bigotry, will want to see it, whether because they're Ford fans or because they're sci-fi fans or both.
I don't know if I'll bother to see it or not, but I do know that hating an author, producer or actor hasn't stopped me from enjoying their films in the past.
Thank you for your openness re "For once...."

Seems like everybody likes to complain about being offended and therefore everybody should give in to their demands/tantrums, but when they themselves are offensive, they think it's perfectly okay because they feel some imaginary righteous indignation.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#22 Jul 9, 2013
Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
This is nothing like Chick-Fil-A. A person can buy good chicken products at numerous restaurants, so people don't mind boycotting one particular restaurant. A movie is a unique artistic product though, and attempts to boycott it will go nowhere.
I think you may have misunderstand my comparison with Chick-Fil-
A. I simply meant that this boycott will draw crowds of people who probably would have ignored this film otherwise. Each showing will be a gathering of conservatives like Chick-fil-A day did last year.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#23 Jul 9, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You're probably right about that. Sometimes, the gay community can be just as foolish as the Roman Catholic Church. Do you remember when publishers vied to get their offerings banned in the Diocese of Boston?
Of course, Geeks Out calling for a boycott has no stature and little influence in the gay community. Most of the readers of this forum are hearing of them for the first time when they read this article--if they even bother to do that. So this is just about as important to the gay community as Terry Jones calling for the burning of Korans.
So whip yourselves into a frenzy. Go see a movie that you'd have never bothered with if someone you'd never heard of hadn't called for a boycott. Stuff yourselves with plenty of chicken nuggets. In short, enjoy your moment of defiance. It's the best you have to look forward to in the culture wars.
It isn't defiance. It is a conscious decision to support to someone who is speaking out on a topic that is important to me. There's a difference. I hope the guy gets super wealthy over this. I think it will indeed be a real boost to his earnings.

Palm Springs, California

#24 Jul 9, 2013
GoldenGator wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that Jane has finally replaced that old 46 or 47 black convertible. Can't tell about Mrs. Bates:
http://baltimore21201.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834...
Oh Chance —
Ya know we got rats in the cellar?
I wonder if the mop is still on the back porch?(I've seen the movie once or twice.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Effort Underway To Save City's Oldest Gay Bar '... 47 min Milton 10
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 59 min cpeter1313 18,818
News Trump dating site used sex offender as a model 1 hr Rainbow Kid 5
News Man charged with threatening Riverview church o... 2 hr Pat Robertson s F... 46
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr cpeter1313 58,906
News Are Gay Dads 'Treating Women as Mere Breeding M... 4 hr Wondering 45
News Religious protests against gay films show divid... 4 hr Pat Robertson s F... 19
News Arkansas to pay attorney for same-sex couples i... 5 hr Hudson 61
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 14 hr NE Jade 27,401
More from around the web