OkCupid urges Firefox boycott over ne...

OkCupid urges Firefox boycott over new CEO's anti-gay marriage donation

There are 159 comments on the CBC News story from Mar 31, 2014, titled OkCupid urges Firefox boycott over new CEO's anti-gay marriage donation. In it, CBC News reports that:

Mozilla, the nonprofit maker of the Firefox browser, recently hired co-founder Brendan Eich to lead the company.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Mar 31, 2014
Ignore this.

"OkCupid" is just trying to get some publicity.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#2 Apr 1, 2014
snyper wrote:
Ignore this.
"OkCupid" is just trying to get some publicity.
You are the one who told me to download Firefox and then add on ad-blocker. Best advise I have received in the last 5 years. Thanks again, I can't believe how much better it is.

Location hidden

#3 Apr 1, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who told me to download Firefox and then add on ad-blocker. Best advise I have received in the last 5 years. Thanks again, I can't believe how much better it is.
Glad it worked for you.
Amos

Phoenix, AZ

#4 Apr 1, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who told me to download Firefox I can't believe how much better it is.
That's becuase it's not made by queers.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#5 Apr 1, 2014
My wife likes Firefox, but not me. I'll stick with IE.

Location hidden

#6 Apr 2, 2014
Amos wrote:
<quoted text>
That's becuase it's not made by queers.
Yes it was.

So is the device you're using right now.
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#8 Apr 2, 2014
There is a war of support in the USA. For me any company that supports any anti-gay anti-freedom policies or law I will not shop there and would drive 50-100 miles to avoid shopping there.

hate and bigotry can not be covered up in religion to be made right
Dan

Omaha, NE

#9 Apr 2, 2014
cancer suxs wrote:
There is a war of support in the USA. For me any company that supports any anti-gay anti-freedom policies or law I will not shop there and would drive 50-100 miles to avoid shopping there.
hate and bigotry can not be covered up in religion to be made right
You have to drive 50-100 miles to get to a computer?
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#10 Apr 2, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to drive 50-100 miles to get to a computer?
Re-read my post and think a bit..

Oh and my PC was bought online in parts and pieces so could get as made in USA as possible.

I try to buy made in USA as possible. And yes I would drive 100 miles to a craft shop to avoid hobby lobby...No anti-constitution company gets my business.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#11 Apr 2, 2014
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
Re-read my post and think a bit..
Oh and my PC was bought online in parts and pieces so could get as made in USA as possible.
I try to buy made in USA as possible. And yes I would drive 100 miles to a craft shop to avoid hobby lobby...No anti-constitution company gets my business.
LOL

"made in USA-'Murica!"

Followed with:

"Any company that thinks they have First Amendment protections that I disagree with won't get any of MY business".

Want Freedom Fries with that?

LMAO
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#12 Apr 2, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
"made in USA-'Murica!"
Followed with:
"Any company that thinks they have First Amendment protections that I disagree with won't get any of MY business".
Want Freedom Fries with that?
LMAO
Yes any company that supports ANTI-CONSTITUTIONAL law yes is a enemy of we the people.

So your happy to buy china made commie crap?? Just keep shopping at walmart china needs more money for there military....YOU TRAITOR.,
Dan

Omaha, NE

#13 Apr 2, 2014
cancer suxs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes any company that supports ANTI-CONSTITUTIONAL law yes is a enemy of we the people.
So your happy to buy china made commie crap?? Just keep shopping at walmart china needs more money for there military....YOU TRAITOR.,
Well, your fellow citizens at HL believe the ACA mandate RE: contraception is "unconstitutional".

But, they're wrong, because you disagree with them.

LOL

Air pretty thin in Owatonna, huh?
lamer

Hamilton, OH

#14 Apr 2, 2014
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, your fellow citizens at HL believe the ACA mandate RE: contraception is "unconstitutional".
LOL
Yet they invest in contraception in their employees 401k plans. They had zero problems with that but now this? Me thinks hobby lobby protest too much.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#15 Apr 2, 2014
lamer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet they invest in contraception in their employees 401k plans. They had zero problems with that but now this? Me thinks hobby lobby protest too much.
Red herring.

They probably didn't even know about it until someone at Mother Jones spent time on it.

Certainly doesn't vitiate their case. It'll be an MSNBC news item tonight, but only to them and their 10 viewers.

lides

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#16 Apr 2, 2014
Dan wrote:
LOL
No, they are wrong because they are attempting to thrust their religious moral objections onto others.

Without an individual ability to make one's own choices, religious and otherwise, we have no freedom.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#17 Apr 2, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they are wrong because they are attempting to thrust their religious moral objections onto others.
Without an individual ability to make one's own choices, religious and otherwise, we have no freedom.
What religious beliefs are they forcing on others?

HL doesn't subsidize BC in their current health plan offerings, and they don't want to be forced to buy it now.

I don't see anyone being made to swear fealty to anyone's religion here, lides.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#18 Apr 2, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree.

Who's ability to make choices, other than HL's, are at risk here?

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#19 Apr 2, 2014
Dan wrote:
What religious beliefs are they forcing on others?
They are rejecting employees abilty to make their own healthcare choices based upon a religious objection by the employer. This isn't difficult, Dan.

Should I have a vote in whether you have free speech, in deciding what religion you may worship, or whether you may own a firearm? Of course not.
Dan wrote:
HL doesn't subsidize BC in their current health plan offerings, and they don't want to be forced to buy it now.
Do you ever tire of being wrong? Hobby Lobby currently covers 16 of the 20 drugs covered under the ACA, and their rationale behind opposing the other 4 is based upon junk science. http://www.salon.com/2014/03/25/4_things_you_...
Dan wrote:
I don't see anyone being made to swear fealty to anyone's religion here, lides.
No, they are just being prevented from holding and acting upon their own religious beliefs because of objections by the employer. Such a ruling would be damaging to individual freedom.

Would you support a Christian Scientist employer being able to provide insurance with the stipulation that it not be used for surgery?
Dan wrote:
Agree.
Who's ability to make choices, other than HL's, are at risk here?
The employees. If the employer may elect to have their religious morality trump that of their employees, there has been an infringement of the employees free exercise.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#20 Apr 2, 2014
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
They are rejecting employees abilty to make their own healthcare choices based upon a religious objection by the employer. This isn't difficult, Dan.
Should I have a vote in whether you have free speech, in deciding what religion you may worship, or whether you may own a firearm? Of course not.
<quoted text>
Do you ever tire of being wrong? Hobby Lobby currently covers 16 of the 20 drugs covered under the ACA, and their rationale behind opposing the other 4 is based upon junk science. http://www.salon.com/2014/03/25/4_things_you_...
<quoted text>
No, they are just being prevented from holding and acting upon their own religious beliefs because of objections by the employer. Such a ruling would be damaging to individual freedom.
Would you support a Christian Scientist employer being able to provide insurance with the stipulation that it not be used for surgery?
<quoted text>
The employees. If the employer may elect to have their religious morality trump that of their employees, there has been an infringement of the employees free exercise.
HL employees are being enjoined from procuring BC?

I didn't know that. How are they prevented from procuring BC, lides?

"No, they are just being prevented from holding and acting upon their own religious beliefs because of objections by the employer. Such a ruling would be damaging to individual freedom." "there has been an infringement of the employees free exercise"

Whose religious beliefs mandate that one should receive insurance benefits through their employer? Can you cite that religious teaching? I've never heard it, let alone seen it.

lides

“No Headline available”

Defiance, Ohio

#21 Apr 2, 2014
Dan wrote:
HL employees are being enjoined from procuring BC?
I didn't know that. How are they prevented from procuring BC, lides?
Have you ever notice that tools tend to abbreviate everything?
Dan, they are being denied coverage mandated by law on the basis that the owners object upon religious grounds. Please, try to keep up.
Dan wrote:
"No, they are just being prevented from holding and acting upon their own religious beliefs because of objections by the employer. Such a ruling would be damaging to individual freedom." "there has been an infringement of the employees free exercise"
Whose religious beliefs mandate that one should receive insurance benefits through their employer? Can you cite that religious teaching? I've never heard it, let alone seen it.
No one's religious beliefs mandate such coverage, federal law does. That being the case, it is the right of the individual to choose to avail themselves of the birth control or not. The company has no interest in projecting it's religious morality upon employees. Only a true dullard would claim that it did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Christian Conservative Group To Fight 'Ex-Gay' ... 1 hr Esiey 16
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr No Surprise 8,436
News 12-year-old girl comes out to her Mormon congre... 2 hr No Surprise 571
Gay/Bi Skype? 2 hr thetylercyr67 17
News ABC plans a Riot to mark the 40th anniversary o... 3 hr Charlie 5
News Trump bans transgender people from military 3 hr Xavier 342
News School district removes gay students' yearbook ... 3 hr Xavier 39
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 hr Respect71 53,741
More from around the web