Group that led charge against gay mar...

Group that led charge against gay marriage changes tack.

There are 46 comments on the Portland Tribune story from Nov 22, 2013, titled Group that led charge against gay marriage changes tack.. In it, Portland Tribune reports that:

Oregon Family Council, the conservative Christian group that helped lead the 2004 campaign to bar same-sex marriage in Oregon, is turning its attention in a new direction.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Portland Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Nov 22, 2013
Conservatives will have to learn the hard way to keep their religious crusades inside their tax-free church buildings where they belong

“We are all atheists”

Since: May 11

Rehoboth Beach, DE

#2 Nov 22, 2013
Funny (or sad) how the word "family" has morphed into a kind of dog whistle meaning "anti-gay."

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Nov 22, 2013
So they've essentially admitted defeat and now hope to make a special law giving special rights ONLY to religious people opposed to same-sex couples.

Note their special exemption doesn't allow someone to refuse services to an opposite-sex couple for the same "deeply held religious beliefs".

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Nov 22, 2013
In a related story, Nike has given $250,000 to support the marriage equality ballot referendum.
Chance

Braddock, PA

#5 Nov 22, 2013
"beaten down" - Yep
Chance

Braddock, PA

#6 Nov 22, 2013
I've never owned a pair of Nike's. They aren't comfortable. Another one of those businesses I wish I could stop supporting.

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Nov 22, 2013
Chance wrote:
I've never owned a pair of Nike's. They aren't comfortable. Another one of those businesses I wish I could stop supporting.
Who's forcing you to support Nike?

TomInElPaso

“Impeach the reality show actor”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#9 Nov 22, 2013
Chance wrote:
How about starting with that computer and the software you're using to show your bigotry. There's got to be a Gay hater computer or software company out there somewhere. See who makes computers in Uganda, there might be one there. Meanwhile back up your hypocrisy and throw out your computer.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10 Nov 22, 2013
Don't be complacent. Although I don't see this ballot initiative succeeding, the intent is to confuse the debate when repeal of DOMA is on the ballot.

Do not overestimate the ability of average voters to discern the meaning of ballot initiatives, nor to separate issues. Having worked on ballot initiatives in Maine twice, I can tell you that voters are incredibly uninformed and unsure about the meaning of the ballot questions. Having two about marriage is an excellent strategy for sowing confusion.

Also, it provides even higher profile to an issue which is really irrelevant to 99.9999% of the public. It's an issue that will be used the same as the bathroom issue in various ENDA fights.
Rick not in Kansas yet

Salina, KS

#11 Nov 22, 2013
Welcome to the brave new world of corporate personhood, the idyllic notion that the Constitution guarantees corporate entities pretty much any right enjoyed by us as individuals. They got their foot in the door with the Citizen's United case and now they are trying to shove it open with the idea that a corporate entity can have religious beliefs and the right to exercise them as they see fit. The case of the New Mexico photographer and the lesbian couple's commitment ceremony has been appealed to the SCOTUS after getting beat down by the state supreme court. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

The idea of putting this notion on a statewide ballot, scary.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#12 Nov 22, 2013
They can try. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...."

Sooooo..... wouldn't passing a law saying that people can be horrible and ugly in the name of religion be..... oh, I don't know.... making a law respecting an establishment of religion...????

What a bunch of stupid, panicking, ignorant idiots.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#13 Nov 22, 2013
Chance wrote:
You've never owned a pair (of Nikes, we all you don't have that other "pair"), yet you mysteriously know that they "aren't comfortable." So, were you wearing someone ELSE'S Nikes???? How do you know???

You really need to put a little more thought into your lies before you post them. You won't look less foolish, but it'll give us more entertainment if you make it more challenging for us.
david traversa

Salta, Argentina

#14 Nov 22, 2013
Ridiculous .. Did Jesus Christ discriminate even against a notorious prostitute like Mary Magdalene ? On the contrary , he made it a point NOT TO .. These people are not true Christians ; they're just ignorant , hypocritical bigots out for blood .

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#15 Nov 22, 2013
We'll just have watch the shenanigans in Oregon for awhile. The changes that have happened in my lifetime!

Enlightenment is slow, but it's coming, it is surely coming.

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Nov 23, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
Don't be complacent. Although I don't see this ballot initiative succeeding, the intent is to confuse the debate when repeal of DOMA is on the ballot.
Do not overestimate the ability of average voters to discern the meaning of ballot initiatives, nor to separate issues. Having worked on ballot initiatives in Maine twice, I can tell you that voters are incredibly uninformed and unsure about the meaning of the ballot questions. Having two about marriage is an excellent strategy for sowing confusion.
Also, it provides even higher profile to an issue which is really irrelevant to 99.9999% of the public. It's an issue that will be used the same as the bathroom issue in various ENDA fights.
I don't think the initiative language will even be approved to be on the ballot because the language specifically singles out same-sex couples for discrimination.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#18 Nov 23, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think the initiative language will even be approved to be on the ballot because the language specifically singles out same-sex couples for discrimination.
That matters??? If that's the case, how did *any* of the anti-marriage amendments get approved? They *all* single out gay couples for exclusion from protection.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#19 Nov 23, 2013
Talk about wanting special rights!

Tawas City, Michigan

#21 Nov 23, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
That matters??? If that's the case, how did *any* of the anti-marriage amendments get approved? They *all* single out gay couples for exclusion from protection.
Actually those bans apply to all other possible combinations, not just same-sex couples.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#22 Nov 23, 2013
snyper wrote:
Talk about wanting special rights!
No, just equal rights. Some don't like it that way.
Rick not in Kansas yet

Salina, KS

#25 Nov 23, 2013
Ulysses wrote:
I refuse to buy anything Nike.
I'll bet that has 'em shaking in their sneakers in Beaverton.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Anti-gay married Republican quits after he is c... 5 min EdmondWA 3
FReAkY fRiDaY CaFe 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 14
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 1 hr Agents of Corruption 14,027
News In Kentucky town, gay-marriage opponent Davis s... 3 hr Andy 22
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 3 hr NE Jade 26,359
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 hr June VanDerMark 57,905
News When a Loved One "Comes Out" 5 hr NE Jade 4
Roy Moore.....Just Another Hypocrite 5 hr VP Mullah Elect P... 27
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 6 hr Rose_NoHo 182
More from around the web