ENDA Needs Ten More Sponsors As Carpe...

ENDA Needs Ten More Sponsors As Carper Signs On As Number 51

There are 20 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Jun 17, 2013, titled ENDA Needs Ten More Sponsors As Carper Signs On As Number 51. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) has fifty-one cosponsors now, and another ten more might actually see it pass the Senate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#1 Jun 17, 2013
It doesn't matter if it passes the Senate r not. It's a waste of time. The House will never even consider the bill.

Typical Democrats. They just want to demagogue and waste time.

HERE'S AN IDEA !:

HOW ABOUT the DEMOCRATIC Senate ACTUALLY FOLLOWS THE LAW FOR A CHANGE, and PASS a federal budget which IS REQUIRED BY LAW, and which the DEMOCRATIC Senate has NOT done since 2009 ???!!!

How about they get to work on that for a change instead of this needless BS ?!

Democrats are EVIL. PURE EVIL.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Jun 17, 2013
The above post reminds me of someone who *willingly* placed a sign on their own ass, saying, "Kick here -- as hard as possible."

Ten minutes ago -- TEN MINUTES AGO -- I read an article about how the "GOP" keep pushing and pushing and pushing for abortion laws at the federal level,

despite knowing

that they will fail

in the senate.

The above poster's logic is thus instantaneously applicable to this so-called "GOP" -- by the above poster's logic, the "GOP" are a gigantic group of brainless scumbags who *enjoy wasting time* and who *seek to waste it* as constantly as possible.

And all this -- by the logic of the poster directly above.

Where does that leave America? By that logic,*BOTH* parties are useless.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#3 Jun 17, 2013
hi hi wrote:
The above post reminds me of someone who *willingly* placed a sign on their own ass, saying, "Kick here -- as hard as possible."
Ten minutes ago -- TEN MINUTES AGO -- I read an article about how the "GOP" keep pushing and pushing and pushing for abortion laws at the federal level,
despite knowing
that they will fail
in the senate.
The above poster's logic is thus instantaneously applicable to this so-called "GOP" -- by the above poster's logic, the "GOP" are a gigantic group of brainless scumbags who *enjoy wasting time* and who *seek to waste it* as constantly as possible.
And all this -- by the logic of the poster directly above.
Where does that leave America? By that logic,*BOTH* parties are useless.
I'm a Libertarian.

:)

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Jun 17, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a Libertarian.
That's what a lot of self-centered control freaks tell us.

Littleton, NH

#5 Jun 17, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
It doesn't matter if it passes the Senate r not. It's a waste of time. The House will never even consider the bill...
So you see no value in putting 61 Senators on record supporting trans-inclusive ENDA? having them on record will make it that much easier to pass through the Senate the next time. Who knows? We might even have a House that would pass ENDA in two years.

If nothing else, voting for ENDA will show Congress that doing what's right doesn't need to spell the end of your career. So others will be encouraged to do the same.

And, of course, there's the advantage of identifying the anti-gay legislators so that we can defeat them next November!

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#6 Jun 17, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what a lot of self-centered control freaks tell us.
You say that like it's a bad thing !

:(

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#7 Jun 17, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
So you see no value in putting 61 Senators on record supporting trans-inclusive ENDA? having them on record will make it that much easier to pass through the Senate the next time. Who knows? We might even have a House that would pass ENDA in two years.
If nothing else, voting for ENDA will show Congress that doing what's right doesn't need to spell the end of your career. So others will be encouraged to do the same.
And, of course, there's the advantage of identifying the anti-gay legislators so that we can defeat them next November!
I see no value in putting 61 Senators on record supporting ENDA.

And btw, the only reason you need 60 senators to pass anything in the Senate is because that is a Senate rule. And Senate rules can be changed, and have been changed, by a simple majority vote of all members. i.e. 51 votes.

So instead of Senate Democrats complaining all the time that they cant get anything done "due to Republican obstructionism", then WHY DON'T THE DEMOCRATS simply use their majority control of the Senate to vote to change the rules to require a simple majority to get things done ?(The Democrats HAVE done this before when they were in the majority in the 1960's). This IS supposed to be a republican democracy where the majority rules, isn't it ? Because under the current Senate rules, the rule is "the minority rules" since 41 votes can bring everything to a halt.

Are you FOR "majority-rule" or are you FOR the current "minority-rule" in the Senate ?

Littleton, NH

#8 Jun 17, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
I see no value in putting 61 Senators on record supporting ENDA.
And btw, the only reason you need 60 senators to pass anything in the Senate is because that is a Senate rule. And Senate rules can be changed, and have been changed, by a simple majority vote of all members. i.e. 51 votes.
So instead of Senate Democrats complaining all the time that they cant get anything done "due to Republican obstructionism", then WHY DON'T THE DEMOCRATS simply use their majority control of the Senate to vote to change the rules to require a simple majority to get things done ?(The Democrats HAVE done this before when they were in the majority in the 1960's). This IS supposed to be a republican democracy where the majority rules, isn't it ? Because under the current Senate rules, the rule is "the minority rules" since 41 votes can bring everything to a halt.
Are you FOR "majority-rule" or are you FOR the current "minority-rule" in the Senate ?
I was comfortable with filibusters when it required actual work and commitment to carry them out. This business of anonymously opposing everything only to gum up the works is ridiculous.

So yeah, under the circumstances, I think the Senate should change the rules. I think Reid has been an extremely weak majority leader.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#9 Jun 17, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I was comfortable with filibusters when it required actual work and commitment to carry them out. This business of anonymously opposing everything only to gum up the works is ridiculous.
So yeah, under the circumstances, I think the Senate should change the rules. I think Reid has been an extremely weak majority leader.
So if you are in favor of, as I am, the Democrats in the Senate voting to change the rules so that a simple majority can get things done, why don't the Democrats do that, instead of always complaining that they can't get anything done, when it's perfectly within their power to do so ?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#10 Jun 18, 2013
On Europa's first post. Talk about a waste of time. Consider the house voting 37 times to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

As to changing the rule on Super Majority votes, Reid is aware that in the future the roles may be reversed, and he wants the same power to obstruct as the Republicans have now.

I'm not saying it's right, but it is a reality.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#11 Jun 18, 2013
RalphB wrote:
On Europa's first post. Talk about a waste of time. Consider the house voting 37 times to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
As to changing the rule on Super Majority votes, Reid is aware that in the future the roles may be reversed, and he wants the same power to obstruct as the Republicans have now.
Yes..waste of time....37 times! Plus the tax payer millons Bohner wasted in him trying to stop DOMA from being overturned....such a waste!

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#12 Jun 18, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
It doesn't matter if it passes the Senate r not. It's a waste of time. The House will never even consider the bill.
Typical Democrats. They just want to demagogue and waste time.
HERE'S AN IDEA !:
HOW ABOUT the DEMOCRATIC Senate ACTUALLY FOLLOWS THE LAW FOR A CHANGE, and PASS a federal budget which IS REQUIRED BY LAW, and which the DEMOCRATIC Senate has NOT done since 2009 ???!!!
How about they get to work on that for a change instead of this needless BS ?!
Democrats are EVIL. PURE EVIL.
Uh, the reason the House won't pass it is because it is Republican.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jun 18, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a Libertarian.
Naah, this is a bullshit attempt to weasel out of culpability for your views.(See nhjeff's response, above. He nails you.)

Which -- think about it -- only reinforces the meaninglessness of what you say, except to YOU. You know who behaves that way? You know who you MOST remind me of?

The antigay.

For the record and in fairness to you, you are not antigay.

But that's e-x-a-c-t-l-y how you behave, in spirit.
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Jun 18, 2013
RalphB wrote:
Normally I'd agree (you have no idea how much) but I disagree with Europa and I deem what he has said pointless.

Why?

Same reason. I've said it a billion times, I will say it a billion more.

In this *particular* set of fights, the antigay are OBSESSED with their "moral imperative" and so they will fight even when they have zero chance of winning. I believe this makes it incumbent upon the pro-gay to fight as zealously, even when the steps are only symbolic.

Normally, I'd call that a massive waste of time.

Here, I think it's of such burning, burning importance that I actually think the failure of the pro-gay to do it contributes to the continual LOUD-MOUTHED attitude of the antigay. I believe with all my heart that they are emboldened by what they see as a *failure* of the pro-gay to fight with as much passion as they do.

No joke.

Littleton, NH

#15 Jun 19, 2013
RalphB wrote:
But the ability to gum up the works is not a tool of equal utility to Democrats and Republicans. In the past, it was. But today's Republicans follow a scorched earth policy: They don't care how badly they harm the nation, as long as they think voters will blame the Democratic President.

Democrats, on the other hand, actually believe in good governance. They are not inclined to use the filibuster to block good appointments or good legislation. And they are inclined to support reasonable comprimise.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#17 Jun 19, 2013
The Troll Stopper wrote:
<quoted text>
So you finally admit you're a sociopath who only cares about himself, then. No wonder you've been arrested so many times.
but just like Clint Eastwood, I remain.......... UNCONVICTED !

Littleton, NH

#18 Jun 20, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
but just like Clint Eastwood, I remain.......... UNCONVICTED !
You undoubtedly talk to chairs as well. That explains your detachment from reality.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19 Jun 20, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
But the ability to gum up the works is not a tool of equal utility to Democrats and Republicans. In the past, it was. But today's Republicans follow a scorched earth policy: They don't care how badly they harm the nation, as long as they think voters will blame the Democratic President.
Democrats, on the other hand, actually believe in good governance. They are not inclined to use the filibuster to block good appointments or good legislation. And they are inclined to support reasonable comprimise.
You're correct......for the moment. Who knows what the future may bring?

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#20 Jun 20, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You undoubtedly talk to chairs as well. That explains your detachment from reality.
LOL

You have no humor.

Littleton, NH

#21 Jun 20, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
You have no humor.
Au contraire. I would say that you lack humor. My response to you exhibited many common elements of humor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sally Kohn, Jewish Lesbian Sharia Advocate 8 min Ted Haggard s Gos... 3
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 23 min Rosa_Winkel 15,988
News Why culture war issues like same-sex marriage a... 37 min Ted Haggard s Gos... 7
News Greens against gay marriage plebiscite The Gree... 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 8
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr lake bay boy 38,791
News The 12 Best Dating Apps 1 hr Nieto 3
News Transgender Ken doll cake triggers outrage afte... 3 hr Dunk 25
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 3 hr June VanDerMark 11,306
News Study: Children Of Same-Sex Parents More Likely... 7 hr Ted Haggard s Gos... 72
More from around the web