America's bizarre blood rule: How anti-gay bigots could kill heteros, too

Sep 30, 2013 Full story: Salon 76

In another example of bigotry that also yields deleterious practical effects, the Food and Drug Administration continues to ban blood donations from men who've had sex with men in the past 36 years.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#84 Oct 1, 2013
[QUOTE who="Laughing at Rev. Fagg@t"]Only if you do what you queers do best, LIE[/QUOTE]

Anyone can lie. That's the weakness of a voluntary, self-reporting ban.

“Liberals are stuck on stupid!”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#86 Oct 2, 2013
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Screen how? Surely you wouldn't support a screening process which relies on voluntary reporting by the individual. Anyone could easily lie about their sex and drug history.
The ONLY effective screen would be testing of ALL donated blood, done BY the agency that's doing the actual collecting. Anything else puts protection of the blood supply into the hands of untrained, unqualified common citizens,who must be blindly trusted to be honest.
People lie, blood test don't!

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#87 Oct 2, 2013
Advents wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's the truth!
Unlike your endless stream of fake names, LITTLE cowardly liar.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#88 Oct 2, 2013
Retired SOF wrote:
Which is why we should ignore a donor's background or lifestyle, or even their PERCEIVED background or lifestyle. Treat all blood as if it came from an anonymous donor, test it all, and take no chances.

Relying on a person to self-report, means taking chances with the blood supply.

Palm Springs, California

#89 Oct 2, 2013
Retired SOF wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally, we agree.
timmy

Gardnerville, NV

#91 Oct 2, 2013
don't let bluebonnet see you use the q word. he'll come to d.c. and hit you with his purse full of tampons.

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#92 Oct 2, 2013
AnyTime wrote:
There's a reason why queers can't donate blood. "
Anyone can donate blood.

Palm Springs, California

#94 Oct 2, 2013
AnyTime wrote:
<quoted text>
Not homosexuals
How about prostitutes, or men who have a lot of female partners? Since they are hetero, bring your wife over next time she needs a transfusion and hook her up. NO need for tests, for they are hetero and IMMUNE to any blood borne pathogens, according to you.

In fact, harvest their hetero blood and use it to heal the sick and let the lame walk. I mean hetero=perfect.

Palm Springs, California

#95 Oct 2, 2013
AnyTime wrote:
There's a reason why queers can't donate blood. "
When's the last time YOU rolled up your sleeve and donated blood, big talker?

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#98 Oct 3, 2013
AnyTime wrote:
Not homosexuals
Anyone. Support testing of ALL blood, regardless of who it comes from.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#99 Oct 3, 2013
"The American Red Cross performs laboratory tests for multiple infectious disease markers on every unit of donated blood. Tests are upgraded or replaced with more sensitive technologies as these become available. These tests include:

Chagas disease (T. cruzi)
Hepatitis B virus (HBV)
Hepatitis C virus (HCV 3.0)
Human Immunodeficiency viruses, Types 1 and 2 (HIV 1,2)
Human T-Lymphotropic virus (HTLV-I/II)
Syphilis (Treponema pallidum)
West Nile virus (WNV)"

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-bloo...

“Unconvinced”

Seattle, WA

#102 Oct 3, 2013
SameTime wrote:
There's a reason why queers can't donate blood.
Anyone can donate blood, fool, get that through your titanium skull.

What's stopping gay people from donating? Nothing. What's stopping ANYONE from donating? NOTHING. Better hope that blood is tested.

Palm Springs, California

#104 Oct 3, 2013
SameTime wrote:
<quoted text>
Queers cannot donate blood unless they do what they do best, which is LIE about being a queer. That's the cold hard truth.
Riddle me this, Batman, if you heteros are so highly IMMUNE to HIV why are you so frightened of gays donating blood? I mean, your theory is that only gays can have HIV, ERGO, only heteros can donate. Why are you so afraid if you are so hetero and immune?

Palm Springs, California

#105 Oct 3, 2013
SameTime wrote:
<quoted text>
Queers cannot donate blood unless they do what they do best, which is LIE about being a queer. That's the cold hard truth.
And promiscuous hetero men or women NEVER lie,do they? They always tell the gospel truth.

Again, if your wife needed a transfusion and some strange hetero man or woman showed up to donate blood, would you even ask for their blood to be tested?

Palm Springs, California

#109 Oct 3, 2013
SameTime wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I would unless time was a matter of life and death.
So, if paramedics treat a hetero patient, they need not wear gloves, since heteros are immune to blood borne diseases. Same as a doctor doing surgery since hetero blood is pure and clean, not a chance of any antigens. If a doctor operated on you, I doubt if he would even wear a mask or gloves since your blood is second only to Jesus'. Got it.

And you would let your wife have some busy prostitute's or promiscuous hetero man's blood pumped into her simply because they are NOT gay? Are you INSANE? I pray for your wife NEVER needing any blood transfusions, if that's your attitude.

Palm Springs, California

#111 Oct 4, 2013
SameTime wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you off your meds?? I said, YES I would have the blood tested and it would have to be a life or death time frame situation to do otherwise. Geesh.
Oh. Never mind then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 6 min KiMerde 2,872
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 10 min KiMerde 51,252
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 10 min Rick in Kansas 5,589
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 28 min Quincy 68,513
Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 50 min Joe fortuna 201,171
Same-sex marriage is just the beginning 55 min String bean 43
Obama calls on women only at news conference 1 hr Hooogle It 11
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr hal 26,731
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 2 hr well 5,024
Supreme Court won't stop gay marriages in Florida 9 hr WeTheSheeple 18
More from around the web