America's bizarre blood rule: How ant...

America's bizarre blood rule: How anti-gay bigots could kill heteros, too

There are 76 comments on the Salon story from Sep 30, 2013, titled America's bizarre blood rule: How anti-gay bigots could kill heteros, too. In it, Salon reports that:

In another example of bigotry that also yields deleterious practical effects, the Food and Drug Administration continues to ban blood donations from men who've had sex with men in the past 36 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salon.

Bruce

United States

#56 Oct 1, 2013
Huh wrote:
So just because they are gay they cant give blood..But a street walking drug addict hooker who only has sex with drug addicted slimey guys in dirty alleys can////
Most gay people are clean and healthy...DONT LET THE FAR RIGHT LIE TO YOU.
Most gay people today don't have ANY STD's.
Why are the queers offended because normal and decent people don't want their AIDS infested blood?
Huh

Faribault, MN

#58 Oct 1, 2013
Bruce wrote:
<quoted text>Why are the queers offended because normal and decent people don't want their AIDS infested blood?
Most people with aids are not gay..But hey don't let facts stop your vile evil demonic Nazi hate rant..DO GO ON HITLER.

I don't want your Nazi blood.....How about we create a law that no Christian can give blood..THAT SOUND FAIR?????
Huh

Faribault, MN

#59 Oct 1, 2013
Advents wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the CDC, not you. Sorry.
"In the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report released on Friday, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that only about 2 percent of the U.S. population are men who have sex with men.
The CDC made the assertion in a new report indicating that 80 percent of all new HIV infections in 2010 were of men and that 78 percent of those were among men who have sex with men (MSM).
"MSM represent approximately 2 percent of the U.S. population," said the MMWR.
Yes the CDC numbers are made up..You know the CDC has gotten many MASSIVE DONATIONS from religous groups....FUNNY HUH???

Anyway go ahead listen to lies..I like the truth and facts instead.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#60 Oct 1, 2013
For Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you always try to twist everything I say??? You're using examples of names used by both male and female. How about queers on here using the names like Jane, Mona or Rose. Obvious women's names.
Who cares!!!!!

No one but you. You called yourself "Dickerman" for heavens sake. That is hardly refined and classy.

I went to high school with a girl named "Kevin" which drove the substitutes crazy for they thought she was in the wrong seat during role taking.

I have never seen anyone twisted as tightly as you. Does ANYTHING not make you seethe with anger?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#61 Oct 1, 2013
For Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Besides, those names were chosen by the parents, not the individual. The people on these threads choose their own name. So if they choose a female name to go by, that says they want to be a bitc:h.
And this affects your life HOW?????
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#64 Oct 1, 2013
Advents wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. Gays lie all the time!
Just like republicans and people of faith. Where do you think we get it from?
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#66 Oct 1, 2013
For Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Get back into the closet, [email protected]
Wow, you really scare me azzhole.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#67 Oct 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually my 4 cent purple Lincolns are worth about 15 times face value. Check eBay. I still have a mint sheet of them,
Your ship has come in!

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#68 Oct 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget Marion Morrison.:)
Tell the uninitiated that Marion Morrison was John Wayne.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#70 Oct 1, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the CDC numbers are made up..You know the CDC has gotten many MASSIVE DONATIONS from religous groups....FUNNY HUH???
I have an old pair of sneakers that are smarter than you. I bet they smell better too.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#71 Oct 1, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
The common mistake they want us to believe is that the percentage of new infections is also the percentage of gay people, rather than about 20% of that 2% of the population.

That 2% is among the lowest, and only accounts for MSM, which includes bisexual men. It ignores gay women, who have the lowest infection rate of any group. As long as anti-gay prejudice and fear remains, we will never know the true number of gay and bisexual people. But most estimates are higher, especially when you include bisexuals. Funny how they claim we are a tiny minority of the population, but must be punished or else we will destroy civilization!

Disease transmission information is used to dehumanize and stigmatize, in order to justify harm. As you seem to realize, it was one of the lies used to demonize Jewish people. It is a common dehumanization tactic used in times of war.

AOL

#72 Oct 1, 2013
Most gay men and women are not infected with any disease.

Gay women are the lowest risk group, far behind heterosexual women and men.

Disease transmission information has always been used to demonize and dehumanize populations targeted for punishment. It was used to justify inter-racial segregation, and continues to be used today, despite the fact straight folks become infected with all of the same diseases, and even more straight people do all of the same things gay people do.

But more fundamentally, we don't deny equal rights based on disease. Because there are some who would like to do that, we have even had to pass laws protecting people with diseases, birth defects, etc, from discrimination.

Disease transmission information demonstrates the importance of encouraging committed monogamous relationships through marriage.

It also demonstrates the importance of comprehensive education about disease transmission and risk reduction.

It fails as an excuse for denial of equal fundamental rights. Because we now test for HIV, it also fails as a resonable restriction on all MSM who have not had high risk sex, who are HIV negative, and have had no exposure risk.

Because it provides no legitimate governmental interest, use here is nothing more than an attempt to demonize, dehumanize, and rationalize harming others needlessly.
Billy

United States

#74 Oct 1, 2013
[QUOTE who="Rev. Jesse Jackson"]Homosexuals are born liars. Can't believe a word they say.[/QUOTE]

Q How can you tell if a homosexual is lying?

A watch and see if their lips are moving!!!

AOL

#75 Oct 1, 2013
“Marriage is based on love and commitment – not on sexual orientation. I support the right for any person to marry the person of their choosing.” Rev. Jesse Jackson Dec. 2010

Rev Jackson told supporters that gays and lesbians were “America’s newest second-class citizens”.

He said:“We stand together today to uphold the principles of due process, of equal protection under the law, of fighting against discrimination against any and all people based on race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

“We stand with you today to support marriage equality, and to declare that Proposition 8 must be struck down as unconstitutional.

“Peoples’ right to self-expression, self-determination be respected and affirmed. It’s time to challenge ignorance, a time to break the silence and the chains of hatred, of divisive and discriminatory bigotry.

“Marriage is based on love and commitment – not on sexual orientation. I support the right for any person to marry the person of their choosing.

“If Dr King and our civil rights movement has taught us anything, it’s the fundamental principle of that all people deserve equal protection under the law."

“LGBT people deserve equal rights – including marriage equality – and equal protection under the law. Discrimination against one group of people is discrimination against all of us. The state – and the courts – should not sanction discrimination.”(Rev. Jesse Jackson) http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/12/08/jesse-ja...

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#76 Oct 1, 2013
Advents wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the CDC, not you. Sorry.
"In the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report released on Friday, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that only about 2 percent of the U.S. population are men who have sex with men.
The CDC made the assertion in a new report indicating that 80 percent of all new HIV infections in 2010 were of men and that 78 percent of those were among men who have sex with men (MSM).
"MSM represent approximately 2 percent of the U.S. population," said the MMWR.
You left out how many STR8 couples have STDs and anal sex, AND donate blood. mmmm.

AOL

#77 Oct 1, 2013
Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>You left out how many STR8 couples have STDs and anal sex, AND donate blood. mmmm.
Good thing we test each donation. The initial screening is still a good idea to screen out those who don't understand the risks, as well as other considerations, but testing remains an essential ingrediant for screening. The policy should keep up with the science.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#78 Oct 1, 2013
Retired SOF wrote:
I can't donate blood. I have not been back in the US long enough. What is the topic of this thread? When you with lay with dogs ,you will get fleas. You can not deny that people, hetero and homo, have donated blood to support drug habits. It is sick but it happens. Would you want people like that putting blood into the system? Screen them out before they kill everybody and ruin the blood donor program for EVERYBODY!! THINK people!!!
Screen how? Surely you wouldn't support a screening process which relies on voluntary reporting by the individual. Anyone could easily lie about their sex and drug history.

The ONLY effective screen would be testing of ALL donated blood, done BY the agency that's doing the actual collecting. Anything else puts protection of the blood supply into the hands of untrained, unqualified common citizens,who must be blindly trusted to be honest.
Billy

United States

#79 Oct 1, 2013
Say NO two queer marriage, queer adoption, and queers donating blood!!!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#80 Oct 1, 2013
Billy wrote:
Say NO two queer marriage, queer adoption, and queers donating blood!!!
But say "YES" to queer boinking ! WOO-HOO ! It's cutieboyes tonite !

:)

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#82 Oct 1, 2013
[QUOTE who="Laughing at Rev. [email protected]"]There's a reason why queers can't donate blood.[/QUOTE]

Yes we can.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 54 min Chalupa Batgirl 12,907
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr NoahLovesU 57,493
News British neo-Nazi comes out as gay and Jewish, b... 4 hr EdmondWA 6
News Trump pledges fealty to religious values, a oeM... 5 hr Red Crosse 145
NE Jedediah 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 1
News Gay bar opens near Macon Road, drawing visitors... 5 hr Vic H 663
News Lesbian couple sues airline, claiming discrimin... 6 hr Pope Closet Emeritus 4
News Is Hollywood's Rape Culture Like a Gay Bar? 7 hr Pope Closet Emeritus 29
News Supreme Court To Hear Arguments In Case Of Bake... 10 hr EdmondWA 305
VP Mike Pence says gays should be hung 19 hr Wondering 4
More from around the web