Gay marriage foes try again to revive California's Proposition 8

Jul 12, 2013 Full story: Whittier Daily News 85

Proposition 8 backers on Friday tried one last legal maneuver to revive California's gay marriage ban, asking the state Supreme Court to halt the same-sex nuptials taking place across the state since the U.S. Supreme Court appeared to doom the law in a ruling last month.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Fountainhead

Cambridge, IL

#1 Jul 12, 2013
All I can say is this. Are they stuck on stupid???

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#2 Jul 12, 2013
Fountainhead wrote:
Apparently they are. Apparently they have NO IDEA what the legal concept of "standing" is. Despite the courts' ruling that they have no standing, they apparently still think they do. They're not living in reality.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#3 Jul 12, 2013
Fountainhead wrote:
Yes.....the CSSC has NO authority over the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals......and Judge Walker's ruling is in place that tossed Prop 8 as being UNCONSTITUTIONAL......and because the proponents didn't have standing to bring an appeal in the first place, that is the only reason their ruling was vacated!!!

I seriously doubt they will win on the broader issue of all 58 Counties......but then they will try!!!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Jul 12, 2013
Well, I guess they've got to be able to tell their contributors that they're doing something. It gives them another opportunity to beg for money.
Fabulous Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#5 Jul 12, 2013
The morons trying to screw around with California's marriage laws are from Arizona
Perhaps the national guard should greet them at the state line

Since: May 12

Livonia, MI

#6 Jul 12, 2013
Do we have names for these now-defunct-Prop-8 backers?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#7 Jul 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
Well, I guess they've got to be able to tell their contributors that they're doing something. It gives them another opportunity to beg for money.
I think someone should get a refund on their bar exam fees......obviously they don't understand that the CSSC doesn't have authority over the 9th's decision......and Judge Walker's ruling was broad to make Prop 8 UNENFORCEABLE!!!

Their barking just to bark because they lost and they know they have no grounds now!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#8 Jul 12, 2013
DragonHung wrote:
Their lead attorney is a man named Andy Pugno......I believe he is the one pushing this.....you can read about ProtectMarriage at Protectmarriage.com !!!

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#9 Jul 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
I think you're right. I think their lawyer(s?) are just trying to suck as much money out of them as they can.(Should we feel BAD about that ?! LOL)

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#10 Jul 12, 2013
DragonHung wrote:
Yes, plenty, but attempting to post them will result in Topix admonishing you to "refrain from posting profanity or offensive material."

Littleton, NH

#13 Jul 12, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I think someone should get a refund on their bar exam fees......obviously they don't understand that the CSSC doesn't have authority over the 9th's decision......and Judge Walker's ruling was broad to make Prop 8 UNENFORCEABLE!!!
Their barking just to bark because they lost and they know they have no grounds now!!!
Aside from the question of state court jurisdiction, the question comes up why they would want to further delay issues.

Everyone knows where this is going, and they want it overwith. CA Supreme Court made it clear that they believe in marriage equality, but they were clubbed over the head with Prop 8. Now that the club has been removed, why would they try to delay the inevitable?

What these guys just can't accept is that everyone disagrees with them: The CA courts disagreed, the governor disagrees (it was an election issue), the legislature disagrees, the circuit courts disagree, SCOTUS disagrees, and nearly all county clerks disagree.

Remember our friend "Wondering" (from Massachusetts) and "Reality" (from Vermont)? They're both convinced that voters are just dieing to have the opportunity to vote down marriage equality in their states. They're all made of the same cloth of denial.

Littleton, NH

#14 Jul 12, 2013
Fountainhead wrote:
<quoted text>They will appeal it to a higher court. Gonna sick Jesus on em.
LOL! Last time you guys prayed for vengeance, look what happened to Oklahoma and the rest of the Bible Belt. Better be careful what you ask of the Lord.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#15 Jul 12, 2013
Fountainhead wrote:
<quoted text>They will appeal it to a higher court. Gonna sick Jesus on em.
Good luck with that one........I couldn't even get that out of my mouth......lol!!!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#16 Jul 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Aside from the question of state court jurisdiction, the question comes up why they would want to further delay issues.
Everyone knows where this is going, and they want it overwith. CA Supreme Court made it clear that they believe in marriage equality, but they were clubbed over the head with Prop 8. Now that the club has been removed, why would they try to delay the inevitable?
What these guys just can't accept is that everyone disagrees with them: The CA courts disagreed, the governor disagrees (it was an election issue), the legislature disagrees, the circuit courts disagree, SCOTUS disagrees, and nearly all county clerks disagree.
Remember our friend "Wondering" (from Massachusetts) and "Reality" (from Vermont)? They're both convinced that voters are just dieing to have the opportunity to vote down marriage equality in their states. They're all made of the same cloth of denial.
This is what Ted Olson had to say about this:
“This latest filing is utterly baseless. The Supreme Court of the United States has rejected the appeal from Judge Walker’s declaration that Proposition 8 violates the federal constitution and the injunction prohibiting state officials from enforcing it. The California Supreme Court itself has confirmed that, when they administer marriages, county clerks are “ state officers performing state functions and are under the exclusive jurisdiction of the state registrar of vital statistics.” Any county that defies the federal court’s injunction is at risk not only of contempt of court but also a lawsuit under the federal civil rights laws for which it would be liable for damages and the plaintiffs’ attorneys’ fees. Proponents’ latest effort to stop loving couples from marrying in California is a desperate and frivolous act.”
http://equalityontrial.com/

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#17 Jul 12, 2013
One can only imagine the homeless that could have been feed and lives changed by the money that has been wasted by these idiotic types. Talk about beating a dead horse.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#20 Jul 12, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what Ted Olson had to say about this:
“This latest filing is utterly baseless. The Supreme Court of the United States has rejected the appeal from Judge Walker’s declaration that Proposition 8 violates the federal constitution and the injunction prohibiting state officials from enforcing it. The California Supreme Court itself has confirmed that, when they administer marriages, county clerks are “ state officers performing state functions and are under the exclusive jurisdiction of the state registrar of vital statistics.” Any county that defies the federal court’s injunction is at risk not only of contempt of court but also a lawsuit under the federal civil rights laws for which it would be liable for damages and the plaintiffs’ attorneys’ fees. Proponents’ latest effort to stop loving couples from marrying in California is a desperate and frivolous act.”
http://equalityontrial.com/
So since Ted Olson is one of our staunchest defenders, why are you, and your cohorts and minions here always bashing Republicans and conservatives ?

ESPECIALLY since The Obamaniac said for years he was implacably opposed to Equal Rights for gay American citizens such as myself.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#21 Jul 12, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
So since Ted Olson is one of our staunchest defenders, why are you, and your cohorts and minions here always bashing Republicans and conservatives ?
ESPECIALLY since The Obamaniac said for years he was implacably opposed to Equal Rights for gay American citizens such as myself.
Damn Daniel P.......get off the hatred for the President!!!

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#24 Jul 12, 2013
Seriously????? Isn't it considered good form to know *something* about the law before you start arguing it???

Perhaps if the California Supreme Court could sit down with these idiots with visual aids and no big words, maybe THEN they'd get it. IT'S OVER!!!

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#25 Jul 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
Yep!! They can't stand the see such a huge cash-cow dry up.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#26 Jul 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
One word. Money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 4 min Roose Big Ho 3,101
GOP leader: NC officials can refuse to marry gays 10 min Sir Andrew 35
Appeal sought in Puerto Rico gay marriage case 18 min NE Jade 7
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 23 min barry 1,534
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 32 min Brad 68,113
Biggest Gay Lies 40 min Rico 2,445
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 41 min Avenger 1,996
Gay kiss couple 'thrown off bus' 51 min Pattysboi 33
Christian Pastors Given Choice: Perform Same-Se... 2 hr Prosperity Fundie... 159

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE