Campaign board rejects NOM's efforts to shield donors in gay marriage battle

Jun 30, 2011 Full story: minnesotaindependent.com 29

The Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board ruled today that corporate donations to groups advocating for or against a constitutional amendment that would ban same-sex marriage must be disclosed. The Minnesota Family Council (MFC) and the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) argued that supporters of marriage equality would commit violence against their donors if they were made public. On Thursday, the board disagreed.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Tappahannock, VA

#1 Jun 30, 2011
No, not violence. First and second order boycotts: You betcha.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#2 Jun 30, 2011
Let's see if NOM complies with this ruling or decision of this Board......so far they haven't complied with any of the rulings or decisions against them from previous lawsuits and courts!!!

The lies that these religious and anti-gay organizations tell and think someone is going to believe them is just amazingly pathetic!!!

By the way this is the lie that the proponents of Prop 8 used in court to prevent the video tapes from being made public.........lol!!!

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#3 Jul 1, 2011
It is a basic concept that taxpayers have a RIGHT to know who is sponsoring legislation.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#4 Jul 1, 2011
Of course they don't want any one knowing who the few are that have been giving them money because if the public knew who they are things would be very different. Such as MFC and NOM would not have money.
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Jul 1, 2011
..of course NOM wants to hide thier money....as usual this sleezy a-holes dont want to abide by the rules. Fatass Gallagher sees her Cash COW coming to an end...as well as Brown.

“Married 6/17/08”

Since: Feb 07

Porterville, CA

#6 Jul 1, 2011
RnL2008 wrote:
Let's see if NOM complies with this ruling or decision of this Board......so far they haven't complied with any of the rulings or decisions against them from previous lawsuits and courts!!!
The lies that these religious and anti-gay organizations tell and think someone is going to believe them is just amazingly pathetic!!!
By the way this is the lie that the proponents of Prop 8 used in court to prevent the video tapes from being made public.........lol!!!
I won't hold my breath. They haven't complied with any other order yet why expect them to now.

IMHO NOM and others involved should be held in contempt and sent to jail until they do comply.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#7 Jul 1, 2011
Unfortunately, NOM has good reason to think that SCOTUS is going to strike down every campaign finance rule ever enacted. Elections are up for the highest bidders.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#8 Jul 1, 2011
nhjeff wrote:
Unfortunately, NOM has good reason to think that SCOTUS is going to strike down every campaign finance rule ever enacted. Elections are up for the highest bidders.
You mean we'll be censored from public records? I'd like to know what businesses want to discriminate against me so I can make the choice not to do business with them and if they feel that way about me they shouldn't want my business or trick me into doing business with them.

Since: Nov 09

Columbus OH

#9 Jul 1, 2011
Since they are violent and hateful individuals, they assume that the LGBT community will be violent against them. As was stated in previous posts, we will protest using our pocketbooks. Are they afraid that once they are found out as supporters of NOM that no one will like them anymore?

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#10 Jul 1, 2011
The way to make NOM crumble is to get them to reveal their donors. There's a reason why NOM is fighting tooth and nail to keep this information secret. NOM has unlimited financial resources and, I would place any bet, the way to make this bigot giant collapse is to find out exactly how they manage to maintain such a huge money purse.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#11 Jul 1, 2011
McMike wrote:
The way to make NOM crumble is to get them to reveal their donors. There's a reason why NOM is fighting tooth and nail to keep this information secret. NOM has unlimited financial resources and, I would place any bet, the way to make this bigot giant collapse is to find out exactly how they manage to maintain such a huge money purse.
The NSA takes lessons from the fine folks over at NOM on how prevent secrets from being made public. They have fought tooth and nail every time anyone has ordered them to crack open any part of their books, if I'm not mistaken, they've still got the states of Washington and Maine tied up in court over laws mandating disclosure of campaign funds. The Federal Election Commission can't touch them, because they don't donate to federal elections and when it comes to the states, they can afford to fight them along as thy need to. It's going to take the Courts to get NOM to open their books, but when that will finally happen. Who knows? At least Minnesota is trying to get out in front of them, but they'd better be ready for a court fight.

Littleton, NH

#12 Jul 2, 2011
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The NSA takes lessons from the fine folks over at NOM on how prevent secrets from being made public. They have fought tooth and nail every time anyone has ordered them to crack open any part of their books, if I'm not mistaken, they've still got the states of Washington and Maine tied up in court over laws mandating disclosure of campaign funds. The Federal Election Commission can't touch them, because they don't donate to federal elections and when it comes to the states, they can afford to fight them along as thy need to. It's going to take the Courts to get NOM to open their books, but when that will finally happen. Who knows? At least Minnesota is trying to get out in front of them, but they'd better be ready for a court fight.
Just curious: If they are finally ordered to open their books--with no more appeals available--and continue to refuse, what can be done? They can simply close shop and open a new sham organization with new homophobic faces. Is there any way to hold organizers accountable?

“Married 6/17/08”

Porterville, CA

#13 Jul 2, 2011
McMike wrote:
And, IMHO, if the "Mormon Church" or the RCC are involved in funding this gang strip them of their Tax Avoidance too.

“Married 6/17/08”

Porterville, CA

#14 Jul 2, 2011
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Just curious: If they are finally ordered to open their books--with no more appeals available--and continue to refuse, what can be done? They can simply close shop and open a new sham organization with new homophobic faces. Is there any way to hold organizers accountable?
At least in CA, the officers of said organization can be held in either civil or criminal contempt and put in jail until they comply with the court's order.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#15 Jul 2, 2011
nhjeff wrote:
Contempt of Court comes to mind, the threat of tossing a few asses in jail until they comply, is usually enough to scare people into doing what they have been ordered to do. One thing to remember is that while the government may not know where all this cash came from, they do know where it is and unless NOM does its banking in a very few places overseas, the accounts can be frozen and the assets seized if there is even a whiff of illegality. They can close up shop and start all over again, but it would be with an emptied pocketbook.

Littleton, NH

#16 Jul 2, 2011
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Contempt of Court comes to mind, the threat of tossing a few asses in jail until they comply, is usually enough to scare people into doing what they have been ordered to do. One thing to remember is that while the government may not know where all this cash came from, they do know where it is and unless NOM does its banking in a very few places overseas, the accounts can be frozen and the assets seized if there is even a whiff of illegality. They can close up shop and start all over again, but it would be with an emptied pocketbook.
Yes, but it's a shell game--as in shell companies. All they have to do is collect the money in a new corporation that isn't under investigation. When game is over for the old company, just shift operations over to the new.

I'm afraid we're in for a long stretch of dishonesty and graft from our political operatives. Political groups can make any claims they want. When they finally get called on it and people stop listening, they just create a new vehicle with a new name like "Mom's and Apple Pie for Fairness, Equality, and Constitutional Fealty."

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#17 Jul 2, 2011
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but it's a shell game--as in shell companies. All they have to do is collect the money in a new corporation that isn't under investigation. When game is over for the old company, just shift operations over to the new.
I'm afraid we're in for a long stretch of dishonesty and graft from our political operatives. Political groups can make any claims they want. When they finally get called on it and people stop listening, they just create a new vehicle with a new name like "Mom's and Apple Pie for Fairness, Equality, and Constitutional Fealty."
Eventually, these organizations do get caught, but it certainly is time consuming and if they change their name, it makes it harder to prove in some cases.......but bad rubbish get's caught eventually!!!

Littleton, NH

#18 Jul 2, 2011
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eventually, these organizations do get caught, but it certainly is time consuming and if they change their name, it makes it harder to prove in some cases.......but bad rubbish get's caught eventually!!!
You will forgive me for having grown very cynical on that matter over the last decade. I would have agreed with you not-so-long ago.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

#19 Jul 2, 2011
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You will forgive me for having grown very cynical on that matter over the last decade. I would have agreed with you not-so-long ago.
Well, I do understand!!!

Littleton, NH

#20 Jul 2, 2011
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I do understand!!!
For example, when will this scum be revealed? http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/roberts...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Allowing Blood Donations From Gay Men Could Hel... 4 min DNF 286
Biggest Gay Lies 4 min Pierre 2,187
State of Alaska defends gay-marriage ban 5 min Frankie Rizzo 115
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 8 min Frankie Rizzo 2,246
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 9 min Terra Firma 3,473
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 10 min Shem 1,620
Gay marriage cases await early Supreme Court de... 11 min DNF 626
Board member opposes teaching definition of gay 45 min Tommy 101

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE