Hundreds protest, lobby for gay right...

Hundreds protest, lobby for gay rights in Texas

There are 8 comments on the www.chron.com story from Mar 11, 2013, titled Hundreds protest, lobby for gay rights in Texas. In it, www.chron.com reports that:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Hundreds of people are in Austin to lobby Texas lawmakers to support equality for lesbians, gays and the transgendered, including the right to marry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.chron.com.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#1 Mar 11, 2013
Why can;t people in OTHER states protest and lobby for the US to divorce Texas?

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#2 Mar 11, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
Why can;t people in OTHER states protest and lobby for the US to divorce Texas?
Texas is slowly but surely swinging from red back to blue. It's happening in the major metropolitan areas fairly rapidly; there is a steady influx of minorities into the cities, and a flow of new citizens from more liberal areas in the country as well. Already, the city limits of Dallas and Fort Worth are expanding into neighboring counties, dramatically changing the political landscape.

I believe also that we may see a major shake-up in the state leadership in the next election cycle. Between the scandal involving Gov. Perry's dismantling of the volunteer fire departments and the subsequent wildfires that destroyed much of the land to the east of the Hill Country, and his disastrous Presidential campaign which brought ridicule to the governor's office, I honestly can't see Perry being re-elected again. He's struggled by with a plurality of the votes in the past; that won't happen again.

Give it time. Things tend to run in cycles. Although it seems like eons ago, in fact it's only been 21 years since Ann Richards lost the Texas governorship to George W. Bush, and three decades since the rise of the unholy radical religious right. The pendulum is swinging ...

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#3 Mar 11, 2013
Otter in the Ozarks wrote:
<quoted text>
Texas is slowly but surely swinging from red back to blue. It's happening in the major metropolitan areas fairly rapidly; there is a steady influx of minorities into the cities, and a flow of new citizens from more liberal areas in the country as well. Already, the city limits of Dallas and Fort Worth are expanding into neighboring counties, dramatically changing the political landscape.
I believe also that we may see a major shake-up in the state leadership in the next election cycle. Between the scandal involving Gov. Perry's dismantling of the volunteer fire departments and the subsequent wildfires that destroyed much of the land to the east of the Hill Country, and his disastrous Presidential campaign which brought ridicule to the governor's office, I honestly can't see Perry being re-elected again. He's struggled by with a plurality of the votes in the past; that won't happen again.
Give it time. Things tend to run in cycles. Although it seems like eons ago, in fact it's only been 21 years since Ann Richards lost the Texas governorship to George W. Bush, and three decades since the rise of the unholy radical religious right. The pendulum is swinging ...
I just turned on the TV a few minutes ago to see how the market was doing right before it closed. The TV as set to MSNBC and before I changed channels I noticed they were talking about how Hillary, if she runs, could possibly turn Texas from Red to at least purple. It may come sooner than I was expecting, if Hillary actually runs.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#4 Mar 11, 2013
yes, it is turned bluer from election cycle to election cycle.

most of the folks in parts of more rural texas refuse to believe that though. i guess they can't read the polls and demographic data that's basically the writing on the walls.

i live in the suburbs of the dfw metroplex - and it's quite different here than where i grew up (deep n north east texas). there's a big influx of democrats from other parts of the country due to all the companies moving down here. the old persona we're used to seeing running things are changing. slowly.

we see houston with an out lesbian mayor, dallas county with an out lesbian sherriff (re-elected and in her second term no less) and a few other cities with democrats as mayors (san antonio for one). as the song goes, the times they are a-changin'.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#5 Mar 11, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
most of the folks in parts of more rural texas refuse to believe that though. i guess they can't read the polls and demographic data that's basically the writing on the walls.
i live in the suburbs of the dfw metroplex - and it's quite different here than where i grew up (deep n north east texas). there's a big influx of democrats from other parts of the country due to all the companies moving down here. the old persona we're used to seeing running things are changing. slowly.
we see houston with an out lesbian mayor, dallas county with an out lesbian sherriff (re-elected and in her second term no less) and a few other cities with democrats as mayors (san antonio for one). as the song goes, the times they are a-changin'.
El Paso remains one of the only truly blue districts in the state. We have ZERO Republicans in the state legislature for this current session and had only one in the previous. We also have the first pan sexual female representative in the legislature. She replaces a closeted (barely) lesbian.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#6 Mar 11, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
My friend Joel Burns, the out city council member in Fort Worth who was just affected by redistricting, has drawn an opponent in his campaign for re-election. I wish I were there to help him; he's a good man who rose to national attention when he spoke to the City Council about the rash of teen suicides.

Pass along the word to anyone you know who is local and can assist his campaign.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#7 Mar 11, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I just turned on the TV a few minutes ago to see how the market was doing right before it closed. The TV as set to MSNBC and before I changed channels I noticed they were talking about how Hillary, if she runs, could possibly turn Texas from Red to at least purple. It may come sooner than I was expecting, if Hillary actually runs.
2014 is critical.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9 Mar 12, 2013
Sparkle wrote:
I love how conservative christard repuglicans like wasting tax money to fight civil rights..
Sorry conservative bigots but eventually you lose
Change wins even before the battle begins, as a species, we will always progress, even if some idiots slow us down with their nonsense and lies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 9 min Flower4985 23,877
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 14 min Jade Dragon Soy S... 4,943
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 33 min tbird19482 44,013
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 48 min Jade Dragon Soy S... 69,498
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 2 hr Big Donald Fan 12,607
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 2 hr Rose_NoHo 193
News Homosexuality against natural law (Sep '09) 5 hr The Worlds Bigges... 1,431
News Jennifer Holliday withdraws from Trump pre-inag... 11 hr Imprtnrd 28
More from around the web