Are you trapped in nostalgia?

There are 19 comments on the Sheaf story from Nov 16, 2013, titled Are you trapped in nostalgia?. In it, Sheaf reports that:

When I was growing up there wasn't a phrase I despised to hear from my parents more than "back in my day."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sheaf.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Nov 16, 2013
Even though Top 40/"Pop Music" changes with each decade, after the 20th century things just changed overnight. After 2005 most Top 40 music sucked. They say everybody says music sucks after their high school years but I sincerely believe that that is not the only case here. How is Hip Hop, R&B, and Rap considered Pop and why are they on the Top 40 station. That would be like playing the majority of Country Music on Top 40 station. Why can't Country be Top 40 besides the country pop, country rock, and country crossovers? I have nothing against any race. I love Top 40 music from all races. I just don't like the stuff they have now. I like Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Anita Baker, Janet Jackson, En Vogue, and many other black artists. I'm not a big fan of Rihanna and Chris Brown or Kanye West though. What happened to when it was like that 90s when music was diverse in styles and racially diverse, now it is mainly a few types of music plus weird techno music and manufactured music, but mainly all one race.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#2 Nov 16, 2013
I guess I am trapped in nostalgia when TVs and cable were easy to operate and music, movies, and video games were awesome. Video game consoles were easier to operate too and didn't require a bunch of accessories. People used cellphones to talk, NOT TEXT. People talked in person not Skyped. They talked on the phone. They played outside! They rode bicycles! I miss the 20th century!
equalityboy81

Yulee, FL

#3 Nov 17, 2013
The article makes a good point about DOMA. While I miss the 80s and 90s I certainly don't miss the homophobia of the 20th century.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Nov 17, 2013
They stopped making good rock and roll after 1968.

Zager & Evans SAID that would happen !

DOH !

:(

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#5 Nov 17, 2013
A GREAT song from my youth and a great video.

Song from the 60's. Video from 20 - 30 years later.

Enjoy !

equalityboy81

Yulee, FL

#6 Nov 17, 2013
I think the best music was the late 60s through the early 2000s (like 2005) and there are a few songs from before and after those years I like.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Nov 17, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
I think the best music was the late 60s through the early 2000s (like 2005) and there are a few songs from before and after those years I like.
"Wait til the sun shines belly ! i KNOW that song !" :)

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#8 Nov 17, 2013
I wonder why the 17 minute disco song by Donna Summer from the album A Love Trilogy is available on vinyl but not CD. The CD seems very censored with very little tracks, much less than the vinyl and missing songs and none of the songs go over 5 minutes. Why is it that we don't get the full version?

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#9 Nov 17, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
I wonder why the 17 minute disco song by Donna Summer from the album A Love Trilogy is available on vinyl but not CD. The CD seems very censored with very little tracks, much less than the vinyl and missing songs and none of the songs go over 5 minutes. Why is it that we don't get the full version?
There's a lot of stuff that never made it from vinyl to cd (Lenny & The Squigtones to name one.:(). But obviously you can make your own.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#10 Nov 17, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a lot of stuff that never made it from vinyl to cd (Lenny & The Squigtones to name one.:(). But obviously you can make your own.
I guess in the same way there are still VHS movies that never had a DVD re-release. I think all this is so unacceptable. Everything should be transferred to a more permanent format. It's history! It's art!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#11 Nov 17, 2013
I mean DVD release not re-release although there have been cases like that too with DVDs out of print. These days you should be able to get anything and everything everywhere or somewhere.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Nov 17, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
I mean DVD release not re-release although there have been cases like that too with DVDs out of print. These days you should be able to get anything and everything everywhere or somewhere.
There was a good series on PBS in about 1981 I liked starring Sam Waterston called "OPPENHEIMER". It's obviously about the design and development of the first atomic bombs. I recorded some of the episodes onto VHS. But to the best of my knowledge, the series was never made on DVD although it is available on VHS.

The same is true with another series on PBS i liked starring Ian Richardson and Michel Elphic called "Private Schulz", which is part drama\part comedy about "Operation Bernhard" which was the successful counterfeiting of British 5 pound notes by Germany during the war.

Not all stuff ever goes to DVD.

And no storage medium is permanent.

Another good series is "LIFE AFTER PEOPLE", which deals with that very issue. They have a GREAT tagline too which is: "WELCOME TO EARTH ! POPULATION: ZERO".

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#13 Nov 18, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a good series on PBS in about 1981 I liked starring Sam Waterston called "OPPENHEIMER". It's obviously about the design and development of the first atomic bombs. I recorded some of the episodes onto VHS. But to the best of my knowledge, the series was never made on DVD although it is available on VHS.
The same is true with another series on PBS i liked starring Ian Richardson and Michel Elphic called "Private Schulz", which is part drama\part comedy about "Operation Bernhard" which was the successful counterfeiting of British 5 pound notes by Germany during the war.
Not all stuff ever goes to DVD.
And no storage medium is permanent.
Another good series is "LIFE AFTER PEOPLE", which deals with that very issue. They have a GREAT tagline too which is: "WELCOME TO EARTH ! POPULATION: ZERO".
I'm just one that believes in preservation of everything including art, games, music, movies, tv shows, books, and history.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#14 Nov 18, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just one that believes in preservation of everything including art, games, music, movies, tv shows, books, and history.
You can't save everything. It's not physically possible.

And there's a show on tv about people who do that.
equalityboy81

Yulee, FL

#15 Nov 19, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't save everything. It's not physically possible.
And there's a show on tv about people who do that.
Wasn't talking about hoarding. lol. That is completely different from preserving movies, tv shows, music, and video games.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#16 Nov 19, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't talking about hoarding. lol. That is completely different from preserving movies, tv shows, music, and video games.
Well, that's not "everything". And if you knew anything about saving things in the categories you mentioned, you would know that saving ALL of those thins is not possible either.

In fact there was a recent report released that stated that contrary to initial claims that data on a compact disc would last 100 years or 200 years or more, a more realistic figure is 50 years or less.

Paper and ink is still one of the longest-lasting mediums we have.

btw, see "LIFE AFTER PEOPLE".

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#17 Nov 30, 2013
I just wish music was the way it was in the 20th century. It will never be that good again. Music sucks today! Who the hell are all these "artists" now and why do they deserve the title of artist? They just make anything that will sell. These kids are letting themselves get ripped off! They have no idea what real music is!

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#18 Nov 30, 2013
Music since 2006 really has sucked.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#19 Dec 2, 2013
ChigayColin wrote:
Music since 2006 really has sucked.
2005 or 2006, I totally agree! There have only been a few songs (including Adele) each year since then that sound any good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What I've learned from transgender clients: Psy... 20 min TerryE 5
News 8 Shocking Statements Opponents Of Marriage Equ... 24 min Dan 32
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 25 min Poof1 20,585
News Buff German man, 21, is this year's Mr. Gay Wor... 26 min NE Jade 10
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 39 min RevKen 32,349
News Gay marriage foe's argument seems to leave Supr... 44 min Dan 94
News Kenyan government: We will not allow homosexual... 47 min david traversa 5
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 1 hr Just Think 2,431
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 3 hr Just Think 59,550
News Pediatrician Won't Treat Baby With Lesbian Moms 5 hr Wall 1,327
More from around the web