Utah in gay marriage filing: Kids nee...

Utah in gay marriage filing: Kids need mom and dad

There are 78 comments on the KRMG-AM Tulsa story from Feb 4, 2014, titled Utah in gay marriage filing: Kids need mom and dad. In it, KRMG-AM Tulsa reports that:

Utah state attorneys filed their opening argument to the federal appeals court reviewing the state's same-sex marriage ban, saying the optimal environment for raising children is with a mother and father.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRMG-AM Tulsa.

Xstain Fatwa

Philadelphia, PA

#56 Feb 5, 2014
ITIMAMOBIWW wrote:
so, an effeminate female
None of that has anything to do with the issue because the claim being made by these retrograde homophobes pertains to having one parent versus two parents, period, regardless of gender.

The mormon whatever they are are claiming that a mother and a father are needed.

All that needs to be said, without wading into ramblings about stereotypes, is that many kids already don't have a mother and a father...and the mormon whatever it is is not passing laws to prevent that situation.

So their rationale is pure hypocrisy.

If they just said, "we actually hate gay people and they are unfit to raise children," then at least their rationale wouldn't be pure hypocrisy. It would then be just unadulterated bigotry, rather than bigotry slightly veiled in hypocrisy.
Tony

Rowlett, TX

#57 Feb 5, 2014
Don't they mean kids need one Dad and 14 Moms?

“A long time ago”

Since: Nov 09

in a galaxy far, far away....

#58 Feb 5, 2014
Rick wrote:
One thing is an absolute fact. Without men and women producing children this world will cease to exist. Face it gay, lesbian or whatever, you need us, we don't need you.
Yeah, art and science didn't need Michelangelo. World War II didn't need Alan Turing. Journalism doesn't gain anything from Anderson Cooper.

No one is trying to get rid of people who produce children, so I don't know what your point is. There's room for BOTH types of people in this world. You don't just muscle everyone out of society if they can't produce children, or if they don't fit into whatever mainstream pigeonhole you prefer.

Why is it totally cool for a man and a woman both with Down syndrome to get married? They can produce children, but is that a good idea? Even if the child were not afflicted (which they likely would be), the parents would not be capable of raising it. They would need a team of assistants. Yet their marriage is fully sanctioned. Where's the consistency?

Some might say that heterosexuals are doing TOO good of a job producing children. Isn't 7 billion enough yet? Aren't our resources stretched tight enough as it is? Aren't there plenty of post-consumer toxins being dumped into the air and sea, from the people we already have? Maybe you breeders should lighten up a little. Maybe you DO need us, to help keep the exploding population DOWN just a little. People are already having trouble finding enough jobs. Do you think your grandkids' grandkids will have an EASIER time, with another 4 or 5 billion MORE to compete with?

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#59 Feb 5, 2014
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your supportive comments but remember that in Biblical times, traditional marriage was between a man and one OR MORE women, a state of affairs most women would no longer wish to revert to.
That's the great Biblical - and also Mormon tradition: marriage should be between a man and several women.
:-)

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#60 Feb 5, 2014
NE Jade wrote:
Yeah, Pierre1….very "camp".
He's a real French cushion.
Allen

United States

#61 Feb 5, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical xenophobic opposition, empty of any salient points.
See amp's part above... Still applies to this post.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#62 Feb 5, 2014
Tony wrote:
Don't they mean kids need one Dad and 14 Moms?
Shhhh, the Mormons gave up polygamy for statehood........(wink, wink).......

“A long time ago”

#63 Feb 5, 2014
Allen wrote:
See amp's part above... Still applies to this post.
I don't understand what you mean. Amp has only posted one thing, it doesn't seem to apply to much.
SteamRoller

Philadelphia, PA

#66 Feb 5, 2014
SteamRoller wrote:
Kids should never be allowed around kids, let alone raise them.
I was drunk and closeted when I posted that. I meant "fundies" should never be allowed around kids, let alone to raise them.

“A long time ago”

#70 Feb 6, 2014
Fundies R Mental wrote:
They're right about one thing though, us gays really like the little boys. I can attest to that.
Not me, attest for yourself. Give me a man. Paul Rudd, Liev Schreiber, Ryan Gosling. Children are obnoxious. You lie.

“A long time ago”

#72 Feb 6, 2014
Xstain Fatwa wrote:
Why are you unaware that unregistered posters from Philadelphia are impersonating one another for reasons of defamation?
Who says I'm unaware?
Xstain Fatwa

Hockessin, DE

#73 Feb 6, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>Who says I'm unaware?
I have also impersonated several monikers today. I'm not a good person.

“A long time ago”

#74 Feb 6, 2014
Xstain Fatwa wrote:
I have also impersonated several monikers today. I'm not a good person.
Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step to correcting it.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#75 Feb 6, 2014
EdmondWA wrote:
<quoted text>
Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step to correcting it.
Unless you deny that you have a problem. Gays do that.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#76 Feb 6, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
As do many other groups.
Look at the ship you are on. Even the rats are smart enough to abandon that sinking ship.

Ex-Gay 'Cure' Program Shuts Down: Admits it Caused 'Undue Suffering and Judgment'
http://www.designntrend.com/articles/5075/201...

AUDIO: GOProud Founder Jimmy LaSalvia Leaves the Republican Party
http://radio.foxnews.com/2014/01/21/audio-gop...
John Patrick

United States

#77 Feb 6, 2014
No amount of personal or public opinion, legislation, or judicial decision will make the unnatural natural or the immoral moral.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#78 Feb 6, 2014
John Patrick wrote:
No amount of personal or public opinion, legislation, or judicial decision will make the unnatural natural or the immoral moral.
Thank you for that very sharp double edged sword.

I'm going to use it frequently now.

Along with this:
West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943 (SCOTUS Majority Opinion)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."

"When women got the vote, they did not redefine voting. When African-Americans got the right to sit at a lunch counter alongside white people, they did not redefine eating out. They were simply invited to the table. That is all we want to do; we have no desire to change marriage. We want to be entitled to not only the same privileges but the same responsibilities as straight people."
-Cynthia Nixon

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#79 Feb 6, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for that very sharp double edged sword.
I'm going to use it frequently now.
Along with this:
West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943 (SCOTUS Majority Opinion)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."
"When women got the vote, they did not redefine voting. When African-Americans got the right to sit at a lunch counter alongside white people, they did not redefine eating out. They were simply invited to the table. That is all we want to do; we have no desire to change marriage. We want to be entitled to not only the same privileges but the same responsibilities as straight people."
-Cynthia Nixon
Stellar quotes, but you're wasting your breath on the above hater. Our only comfort with that kind is that they are quickly dying out. I recently read in the LA Times that the millenials, kids born around 1980 are completely comfortable with gay rights and see absolutely NO problem with equal rights. Since they are now hitting 30, in no time they will be the major demographic and haters like the above will be trivialized cranks who sit around in goofy conservative circle jerks and preach to each other..otherwise called "Fox News".

“A long time ago”

#80 Feb 6, 2014
Wondering wrote:
What's the problem?

How do you define "problem"? Wouldn't a "problem" actually have to create some, you know, PROBLEMS in someone's life? Just because we're doing something that YOU wouldn't choose to do, doesn't mean there's any problem.

“A long time ago”

#81 Feb 6, 2014
John Patrick wrote:
No one is trying to do that. Homosexuality occurs in nature, so it's perfectly natural. And morality is not violated between consenting adults, so there's no issue there either.

No one will make you be gay if you don't feel it's natural for you. But if you're going to talk about morality, then you clearly need a better understanding of it. There's no cause to label people as if they were criminals, just for making their own adult decisions and choosing their own life path. It's immoral for you to slander strangers who aren't harming you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 4 min Rose_NoHo 17,691
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 16 min anonymous 665
News Police plan to ramp up security at Jackson Brow... 28 min Dean 2
News Why Gay Is Not the New Black 51 min Yisraelite Suprem... 23
News Winnipeg men trying to get their 1974 marriage ... 1 hr problem solved 22
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 2 hr Repent Sinners 61,396
News Texas middle school teachers resign after anti-... 2 hr Aspirin Between M... 16
News Trump appointee resigns after racist, sexist an... 2 hr Wondering 102
News Gay Cakes Are Not a Constitutional Right 3 hr Wondering 990
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 7 hr Ramos 27,304
More from around the web