The marriage minefield

Jan 30, 2013 Full story: Burlington Times News 11

More than perhaps anyone else in America, David Blankenhorn personifies the struggle so many have experienced over same-sex marriage.

Full Story

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#1 Jan 30, 2013
The clouds have parted, the sun is shining, and an irrational man becomes rational. Finally, someone who has fought us tooth and nail has realized that marriage is not under assault from gays and lesbians, but that shoring up marriage itself, regardless of participants, is what is needed. At least that is what I get from the article.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#2 Jan 30, 2013
If those who have spent so much effort and hundreds of millions dollars fighting against marriage equality had instead invested those resources to repair the disaster of broken marriage vows and broken homes with children this country would be a much better place.for everyone.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#4 Jan 30, 2013
FTA:
"Like Blankenhorn, my greatest concern has been the effect on our nationís children. The operative questions, posed so well by traditional marriage warrior Maggie Gallagher, were: Do we want to codify the notion that one parent, either the mother or father, is dispensable? And, what effect might this have?"

DNF replies: Stop blaming the GLBT community for the fact that for hundreds of years, heterosexuals have been perfectly happy making one parent dispensable. It's not marriage that is the problem, it's D-I-V-O-R-C-E!

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#5 Jan 30, 2013
I've said all along that the hate-based, anti-marriage movement is the ONLY thing actively harming marriage.

I know several straight couples that feel that they *can't* get legally married because there are people in their lives that they love that are gay. They don't feel that they can get married as long as their loved ones are excluded from the institution.

THAT is the type of thinking that the hate-mongers have planted, and that is what will damage the institution in the long run--if fewer and fewer people that treasure and respect the institution feel that they can get married.

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#7 Jan 30, 2013
I read an article the other day that the proponents of Prop 8( ProtectMarriage.com )is having trouble raising money.......they are roughly projecting at the moment a $700,000.00 shortfall with regards to fundraising......seems folks just aren't as willing to give to the anti-gay folks like they use to!!!!
SLIF

Scarborough, Canada

#8 Jan 30, 2013
That picture her,she look like Christie Brinkley.
faithman

United States

#9 Jan 30, 2013
I've been a minister in evangelical Christianity for several decades and have had to deal with scores of broken marriages. The notion that same sex marriage would harm the institution is nothing less than ridiculous. Marriage suffers terribly on a personal level far more from the effects of chemical dependency, and on infidelity than most other factors I've witnessed. On a societal level the entries are numerous, greed, poverty, and inequality to name just a few. Those groups that oppose same sex marriage are scapegoating us for their own failure to address the real issues, not only on a societal level, but perhaps in their personal lives as well.

Since: Oct 12

Coolidge, AZ

#10 Jan 30, 2013
DNF wrote:
FTA:
"Like Blankenhorn, my greatest concern has been the effect on our nationís children. The operative questions, posed so well by traditional marriage warrior Maggie Gallagher, were: Do we want to codify the notion that one parent, either the mother or father, is dispensable? And, what effect might this have?"
DNF replies: Stop blaming the GLBT community for the fact that for hundreds of years, heterosexuals have been perfectly happy making one parent dispensable. It's not marriage that is the problem, it's D-I-V-O-R-C-E!
I agree. Want to "preserve" marriage ? Then outlaw divorce. But the fundies will never do that, rite ?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#12 Jan 30, 2013
faithman wrote:
I've been a minister in evangelical Christianity for several decades and have had to deal with scores of broken marriages. The notion that same sex marriage would harm the institution is nothing less than ridiculous. Marriage suffers terribly on a personal level far more from the effects of chemical dependency, and on infidelity than most other factors I've witnessed. On a societal level the entries are numerous, greed, poverty, and inequality to name just a few. Those groups that oppose same sex marriage are scapegoating us for their own failure to address the real issues, not only on a societal level, but perhaps in their personal lives as well.
Thank you for showing the truth of Occam's razor.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#13 Jan 30, 2013
DNF wrote:
FTA:
So says the unwed mother....

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14 Jan 30, 2013
I'm not sure what I think about this Op-Ed.

It's the Op-ed that's the "minefield".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jade gettn her Freak on 1 min In Obama Gays Trust 2
Investigator recommends dropping sex assault ch... 3 min NE Jade 21
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 10 min cpeter1313 3,917
Is Jeb Bush 'evolving' on same-sex marriage and... 12 min In Obama Gays Trust 22
Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 17 min NoahLovesU 1,056
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 22 min NoahLovesU 15,455
Pediatrician Won't Treat Baby With Lesbian Moms 27 min NoahLovesU 204
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 49 min NoahLovesU 57,806
Transgender Bruce Jenner will be lesbian after ... 56 min TerryE 100
Biggest Gay Lies (May '14) 6 hr Delbert 3,214
More from around the web